Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

It's generally not a show on the topic, but the two latest episodes of Game Studies Study Buddies are on RPG history and communities, and I think people here would get a lot out of them. The show is a book club for the academic field of Game Studies, but they've just finished a matched pair of episodes on books specifically about TTRPGs.

46 – Peterson – The Elusive Shift
Jon Peterson's history of the earliest days of the RPG hobby through his exhaustive library of fanzines from the 70s and 80s. Really shows that every argument about RPGs going on today is older than most of the people having it.

45 – Schleiner – The Player’s Power To Change the Game
A history and distillation of The Forge, which is, necessarily, in part a look at Ron Edwards. Featuring guest host Austin Walker.
I'm listening to the Peterson ep and it's fascinating stuff, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Since listening to those Study Buddies episodes above, I've been hoping to run across more stories of how old games were played. Any recommendations, preferably not by huge weird D&D grogs?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just listened this very short-lived podcast by the title Adventure Tourism. Some guy named Chris Bissette talks to indie creators about their favourite adventure modules. Very chill and positive vibes, I really recommend it if you're at all interested in D&D style stuff. Shame it never went further than four episodes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat! Wrong thread?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those aren’t the same lind of wrong.