Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Personally I think Urasawa Naoki is the best mangaka because he is prolific, consistent, a strong storyteller, and a profoundly good artist with an instantly recognizable style. But maybe you think someone else is better at creating manga and want to share your thoughts. Great news! I made a thread for you to discuss those thoughts in. Set sail for fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s dang near impossible to say who my favorite it is but I have a couple that I think are top tier.

Ryoko Kui, author of Dungeon Meshi and a number of anthologies is really good. She creates settings and characters with real charm and wonder, and her art is gorgeous.

Satoshi Mizukami is another of my favorites. His best work is, imo, Spirit Circle, but Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Youko are also really good. He’s also done a number of pretty good anthologies. His stuff is more offbeat and his art style is different but he always has a really unique approach to the themes he works with.

Yellow Tanabe is my final name, they made Kekkaishi and Birdmen, which are really good and criminally underrated. Unfortunately the team that was scanlating Birdmen has dropped of the face of the Earth so I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to finish it. Tanabe’s works have really strong world building and big casts or very interesting characters trying to change a world much bigger than them

That's cool I'm unfamiliar with Mizukami or Tanabe. Definitely going to have to add those works to the pile. Dungeon Meshi is of course phenomenal and its unique concept/exploration of fantasy tropes has been super influential. I feel like there must be at least a half dozen mangas of varying quality running currently that owe Dungeon Meshi a lot of credit (and I also think the overall creativity of Dungeon Meshi may have helped cleared the path for the explosion of isekai that currently pollutes manga).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Anybody else in this forum enjoy manga?