Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Never has competence been so annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
(Spoiler for this update)

🎵

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 7, 2023

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
HOMURA HOW ARE YOU WORSE EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SHOW UP GIRL WHAT THE gently caress

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
At this rate, Homura's going to shoot herself in the eye... and somehow blind a dragon whilst surviving the escapade completely unharmed and oblivious...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

VFD's* power creep nonsense is because Richter is going to understand the Akaneno bullshit** and standardize it? GEORGE! is simply the purest expression.
(I doubt Sympathy can lead to VFD but let's ignore that for a second)

*the game, not Chisa.
**absolutely no offense meant to Mio, she's cool

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Let me guess. Homura is like the orcs from War hammer 40k in that she just has to believe something will work and it does. The big difference is she's somewhat smarter.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 82: Hunting Party
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

In this one, we learn a secret about Homura Akaneno.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
OH. Sumie's gonna get a new portrait with cat ears.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Sumie--! If our favorite lootsniffer dies just delete the whole LP, no point going on without her.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 83: Sumie and SATSUKI

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Word is going to spread around, I think Richter just founded his own religion there although he'll manage to mostly unfound it by month's end.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
foundational glue.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 84: I Made It All Up

In this one, Richter explains the technical properties of his work.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alright so now that we're at this point, to explain a couple of things from the intermission, for one, you actually don't have to clear out the floor in 1 go. You can actually interact with the elevator in the back to go back to the warehouse and restock and rest up. Mind you that segment is still a difficulty spike! The sheer dragon density and (the lower power levels for those of you reading the VFD LP, this series did used to have some semblance of balance at some point. :v:) means that you'll be dealing with dragon chains in battle very frequently and the dragons are difficult to clear out quickly before they pile up.

You also do not have to kill any of the dragons. You can head straight for the Satanic Dragon and that'll clear the intermission. This is far easier said than done, because there's not a lot of room to maneuver in the Diet Building, and trying to do that without killing any of the dragons will frequently result in you getting surprise attacked because they are aggressive and very fast.

The reason I bring this up now is because well, what happens when you skip the intermission 2 dragons? They don't auto die. They actually all get sent to the empty side area of the railcage that was just explored in the update. So no missables there. I don't recommend skipping the dragons since that puts off the sheer Dz you get by forcing you to deal with them in the railcage, which is not a good idea for several reasons unless you're doing a speedrun.

Also for whatever reason, the game script in both English and Japanese refers to the boss of the intermission as an Imperial Dragon, even though it's not. There's not much to the boss itself though it certainly has a unique design.

As for the railcage itself, this dungeon is actually tougher to get through in 2020-II. The layout of the thing actually makes this dungeon more harrowing in 2020-II due to the game's changes. The encounter rate is much higher in II overall, and the monsters and tougher dragons can wear you down. What makes this dungeon especially rough are the railguns. Those things are straight up minibosses now instead of the event battles in 2020 you cleared without a second thought, and there's quite a few of them you have to fight.

The Freeze Dragon got some upgrades to its skills and AI to be a proper miniboss for this cutscene. Rainbow Shield can be a bit of an annoying wrench to deal with.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 17, 2023

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 85: To the Bottom of Memory

This one has my least favorite boss in this video game in it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unlike the other zombie Imperials, Jigowatt puts up way more of a fight than those two. The inverse difficulty curve is gone now, and you're going to have to scrap harder with the dragons from here on out.

Jigowatt got some serious buffs since it was moved from a chapter 2 boss to a chapter 5 boss. Gained more status immunities, ice's power against it was toned down, and throws a middle finger towards Gun Tricksters and Idols just because. Oh and they fixed the issue where its 2nd basic attack was accidentally flagged as ranged when it should have been melee.

Its HP is higher. Much higher. In fact it has one of the highest HP bars among all maingame enemies. However it's defenses aren't really that much higher than the Satanic Dragons, and it takes considerably more damage from magic attacks. That being said the amount of HP it has adds on some serious bulk to the boss.

Jigowatt's AI is exactly the same as it is in 2020. It has a fixed rotation of attacks depending on whether it's at 55% HP or higher.

-Ranged Attack
-Ranged Attack
-Clean Sweep
-Aimed Shot (Targets the party member with the highest HP)
-Ranged Attack
-Clean Sweep
-Rail Charge
-Rail Charge
-Railgun

And then it repeats until you hit 55% HP, at which point it changes to this pattern for the rest of the battle:

-Discharge (Never accessed again on future rotations)
-Attack (1/3 chance for ranged, 2/3 chance for melee)
-Clean Sweep
-Aimed Shot (Targets the party member with the highest HP)
-Clean Sweep
-Discharge
-Clean Sweep or Aimed Shot (Only on the 2nd rotation or beyond)
-Rail Charge
-Rail Charge
-Railgun

Unlike Trinitro, it's AI didn't need the buff. That's because its skills are where things really get spicy.

The 2020 skills for reference:

quote:

Jigowatt
-Discharge: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.65x damage. Cannot miss. 75% chance to inflict Paralysis for 4 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 45% chance to not act.
-Rail Charge: Telegraph skill. Display message: "Jigowatt is storing energy!"
-Rail Charge: Telegraph skill. Display message: "The energy charge is complete!"
-Railgun: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 4x damage. Cannot miss.
-Clean Sweep: Non-elemental Ranged attack to random party members. MAT-based. 0.4x damage. Hits 6 times. 1.5x accuracy.
-Aimed Shot: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.5x damage. Cannot miss.

And its 2020-II skills:

quote:

Jigowatt (LV. 52/48)
-Discharge: Lightning-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.65x damage. Cannot miss. 40% chance to inflict Stop for 2 turns.
-Rail Charge: Telegraph skill. Display message: "Jigowatt is storing energy!"
-Rail Charge: Telegraph skill. Display message: "The energy charge is complete!"
-Railgun: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 3x damage. Cannot miss. 70% chance to inflict Paralysis for 4 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 30% chance to not act.
-Clean Sweep: Non-elemental Ranged attack to random party members. MAT-based. 0.3x damage. Hits 6 times. 0.8x accuracy.
-Aimed Shot: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.4x damage. Cannot miss.

Some of the damage on the skills were toned down, but that's to counteract the stat boosts Jigowatt got so it wouldn't vaporize you.

Clean Sweep got considerably weaker. It went from being a very accurate attack to one that can very easily miss with enough evasion buffs, probably to give dodgetank Idol an actual use in the fight. That's the only breather you get.

The big buff Jigowatt got with its skills are the fact that it has 2 ailments it has access to. You can't just slap on Paralysis immunity and be done with it, now you have to pick your poison. Discharge got turbo buffed being able to inflict Stop. Sure the infliction rate is lower, but the impact of Stop landing is greater.

The Paralysis from Discharge on the other hand got moved to Railgun, making it a far more nasty attack. In 2020 you can just heal up after guarding. Bit of a momentum loss, but it's recoverable. In 2002-II, Paralysis can end up really setting your party back, making it much more easy for Jigowatt to clean up and cause a wipe. And if you enter phase 2 at a bad time, it'll immediately use Discharge after Railgun, which can just cause a game over right there.

Some walkthroughs I've seen recommend you gear up for Paralysis immunity instead of Stop immunity if your party is fast enough. This is because it makes recovering from a Railgun turn much easier, and that if your party is fast enough, the Stop from Discharge only lasts for 1 turn during a period where your party is healthy, which isn't as much of a setback as Railgun. Also after the first Discharge, the only times it uses Discharge are right before a Rail Charge turn, so you have a breather there.

Another thing you can do is to make use of Decoy Mirror to block the Railgun for your Psychic if you have one, keeping up your party's momentum. It's especially a good tactic in this game since it'll block the Paralysis proc as well.

Overall, definitely can be a nasty boss if you're unprepared.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Seeing Chisa casually pump out 2000 damage single hits is just chef’s kiss

also, Sumie deserves everything good the world has to offer

BassMug fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 21, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Seconding both of those points.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Caught up again.

What struck me this time was how badly Emille and Sho messed up in excluding Homura.

Homura believed the black bloom wouldn't affect her. Thus, she'd have been fine in the bloom. As long as a few martyrs kept the dragons off her, she could have shut the shutters without additional lost life.

A kindness of Richter's to not point this out after he figures out how the Akaneno "genius" works.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
aren't 'a few martyrs' what the people who died there to begin with were

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
I'm guessing in this assumed alternate case, the martyrs could have been nameless mooks rather than named NPCs.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Addendum XI: Sumie Kazuki (Unit 13's Treasurer, Class: Trickster) Tactical Overview

It's the end of an era... the last class overview...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
At this point I might as well just say this: This might be my favorite fanfic-LP that has lesbianism and psychics in it since Speedball's XCOM LP.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

At this point I might as well just say this: This might be my favorite fanfic-LP that has lesbianism and psychics in it since Speedball's XCOM LP.

That is a drat good LP. And so is this one! I really love the awesome fiction on this board :D

Also, Sumie remains a joy to behold.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Those dagger nerfs hurt. Not sure why that part of Trickster was slammed so hard. The lifesteal caps are definitely a bit of a damper as well.

Surprise Hunt got its bug fixed. It works on random encounters getting surprise attacks now.

Pain Eater is similar to Homicide Hold, only it dispels the ailments upon use, so the same things that Homicide Hold has an issue with (They forgot to flag Stop as a legal ailment), Pain Eater also suffers from. Though amusingly because they forgot to flag Stop as a legal ailment, it won't get dispelled upon using this.

Sacrifice went from ultra poo poo to just plain poo poo. It's really not worth using. The damage is terrible, and your Trickster doesn't even get the payouts if you use it for some reason. It's a meme skill, and that's all it is. At least it's not permadeath anymore? So at least it won't cause the closest thing to effectively bricking a save file at the very least. Oh and also it drains all your mana so if you revive the Trickster, you need to fill that up as well.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 86: For The Day That Must Come

This begins Chapter 6. In this one, we hold a memorial.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Oh! Your PFP got neko’d! Awesome!

And aww, the navi kids.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 87: Empire of Fools

In this one, we go spelunking.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
The Comet Spear sounds SICKNASTY. Like the Valkyria Rocket Lance but as an anti-personnel/dragonslaying weapon!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally the Neko and the MP sidequest had a plothole in it in the game. The original conversation went as follows (Not an error with the fan translation, this happened in the original dialogue as well):

quote:

Neko: Aaaaaaaagh! What're you on about now?! All blowing smoke with all these fancy words cuz you're trying to trick me!
MP Ariake: You were the one to demand explanation. I concede I am not proud of the means. But your living situation leaves me no choice but to express myself strenuously.
Neko: There's nothing weird about that! You were expecting me to stay with you? We don't have any connection at all! That's what'd be weird!
MP Ariake: I'm simply trying to do my duty to you! I sit on the front bench of the Diet!
Neko: Tch... more like the basic bench.
MP Ariake: As a statesman, and I dare say a sensible man, I feel I have an understanding of what is proper.
Neko: Jeez! Quit caring what all those people think! Why don't you care about what I think?! Just like when mom died! If you got something to say, say it!!
MP Ariake: I know it was... hard, when your mother passed. But please understand, as she did, that I had duties I was obligated to fulfill- Yes... She was always forgiving you, over and over, up to her last moment, her dying breath.
Neko: Don't expect me to go so easy on you! The people who are left are the ones who have to shoulder everything, all of it! You all want to die on your own terms, and leave us to deal with your mess! I still hate it! The people left behind matter too!

The original conversation implies Neko had some problems with her mom too. Except that shouldn't really be possible given she was kidnapped when she was a baby and that she shouldn't have known anything about how her mom died. Whoopos! As far as I could tell, that's the only glaring continuity error within the two games. At least it was only relegated to a sidequest instead of whatever the gently caress happened in VFD.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 88: No Enemy to Me

In this one, we unlock The Skill. Do not tell me about the 'broken image'. I already know. It is actually Sumie saying Geese Howard lines and it was picked up by the LP tools as an image.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Do not tell me about the 'broken image'. I already know. It is actually Sumie saying Geese Howard lines and it was picked up by the LP tools as an image.

Ok but to be fair, I could 1000% see Sumie somehow uttering a busted image as a taunt.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 3, 2023

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It genuinely took a moment of remembering what you said for me to reailize that was a bug.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i am beginning to realize that the thing i actually wrote there is much less funny than sumie saying a broken image

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Synchronicity.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 89: Valley of the Kings

In this one, Shichiro practices far less tact than he really should.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
🎵Vampire girl ~kyuuun!~🎵

Edit: Related, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-zHSvDc1g

ALSO EDIT: Battersnatch sounds like a dragon that preys on bakers.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 6, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Bath. As it was in the first game, Fabulous Fuel gives 300 SP and fills up the Exhaust Gauge to full, which is very nice, and cool.

No, hot. You can see the steam right there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I recently rewatched Trauma Team's story via Youtube LP so "Raging Bomber" is throwing me because there it's an actual bomber terrorist in that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 90: Shooting Star, Cut the Night Apart (NIGHT RUNNING)

In this one, an old friend gets one last ride.