Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RIP Venom Boost, something too bullshit even for 7D3 to keep in player hands.

e: Update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Hmmm.... Did I misread, or did Sumie miscount near the end? I swear she said eleven twice...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 91: Seagull Flies
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

This begins Chapter 7. In this one, it doesn't have to be beef.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Wow, wasn't expecting a "Gun X Sword" reference here. Though it's been so long since I watched it, I might not have gotten it, except I've been playing a lot of SRW 30 lately. Van's a hoot in that one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 92: Seagull Flies

In this one, welcome to Moonside.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 93: Freefall

Do you think NERD ROCK BAR is like... a weird alternate universe equivalent of the Hard Rock Cafe? I know they've got at least one or two of those in Japan.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
oh god that NPC would make my heart stop.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

oh god that NPC would make my heart stop.

Holy gently caress, they faked me out super hard. Fomalhaut!!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 94: Curse

In this one, we head to Fou-Lu's Tomb and fight Won-qu... wait, hold on. Is that right...?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You'll get lost in that bog, I told the kid.

And I won't be able to guide you back.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Emilie…

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 95: At the End of Disaster

It's time to kill the final Imperial Dragon. Big number 14!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 96: Pavane for a Dead Princess

In this one, we forge the Dragonslayer.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
(spoilers for above update)

I start reading through this update and pull out a link to the God Hand credits theme and then you do this?! HOW MANY HEARTS ARE YOU GOING TO RIP OUT DURING THIS LP :cry:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
gently caress.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 97: a grief in the girl

The final chapter is upon us, and with it, the final LET'S WORKING. The end of an era...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I... think that the movie Izumi's referencing that Shouji liked was Top Gun, but I am not 100% on that.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
sky :)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 98: a defect in the man

It's finally time to start knocking down that big fat 46.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah someone at Imageepoch was having a laugh that day I guess.

Incidentally the Kitty Parka+ comes with a hidden 20% evasion bonus. Not a mistake in the fan translation, the original text neglects to mention this too for whatever reason.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
sex power confirmed

Also, the abundance of dogs among the dragons was foreshadowing this whole time for the cattening of Sumie.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 99: A Promise Left Behind (Monochrome)

In this one, our entire existences become SEX!!!!

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

It looks like the SSLP Test Poster link has the text for update 99 but is using the pictures from update 98.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Falconer posted:

It looks like the SSLP Test Poster link has the text for update 99 but is using the pictures from update 98.

fixed thank you

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Youka's SEX skill is absolutely badass. And I'm glad to see Mio up and fighting again.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 100: Truth and Dreams

A will to find a second life after an emotional death. A will to battle a seemingly inescapable fate. A will to fight for a just cause. A will to protect one's home through fear. A will to become your own person, no matter how much you lose.

And...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Crest is just a setpiece battle to set the stage for the next part of the game. It's not a real fight. But here's also the stats of the version that kicked your rear end in the beginning of the game.

quote:

??? (LV. 99/94)
-Shockwave: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.
-Heavy Impact: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.

Crest (LV. 70/65)
-Shockwave: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1.2x damage.
-Heavy Impact: Non-elemental Ranged attack to one party member. MAT-based. 1x damage.

Its attacks are also weaker.

quote:

Izumi (LV. 65/60)
-Air Slash: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.1x damage.
-Straight Cut: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.2x damage.
-Pour It On: Multiplies the damage of the next ATK-based attack from all enemies by 1.7x.
-Justice of Solomon: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.7x damage. 1.3x accuracy.

This version of Izumi is a real fucker. A 1v1 battle where she has the action economy advantage is just rude! You basically need a highly leveled Renki First Aid as well as Pain React in order to keep up with her attacks.

This is from a while back, but Insomnia can be a bit of a pain if you're unprepared for it.

quote:

Insomnia (LV. 60/55)
-Death Sentence: Targets all party members. 100% chance to inflict Death.
-Ebon Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.3x damage. 40% chance to inflict Downer for 3 turns.
-its fangs to devour lifeforce: Heals the user for 1000/998 LIFE.
-its time to take a deep breath: Buffs the user. Multiplies ATK damage dealt by 1.25x for 2 turns.
-Power Slash: Non-elemental Claw attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.5x damage.
-Snap: Non-elemental Fang attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.4x damage. Heals the user for 200% of the damage dealt. Healing is capped at 999 LIFE.
-Exhaust Breath: Fire-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.1x damage. 40% chance to inflict Burn for 6 turns. The Burn ticks for 31 damage, multiplies ATK and MAT damage dealt by 0.9x, and multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 1.05x.
-Death Omen: Telegraph skill.
-its crystal to gather dark energies: Buffs the user. Multiplies MAT damage dealt by 1.3x for the entire battle.

That Death Sentence WILL kill you. And unlike the VFD version of the fight, there aren't as many ways to get around this. You bring death protection or the few workarounds that exist (the endures) or lose the fight, it's that simple.

Of course if you do have protection, Death Sentence is nothing more than a free turn. Insomnia wises up to this and will stop using it as often later on in the fight so it can actually attack you.

Also do not try to pull a VFD and burst this thing down in a few turns in order to avoid Death Sentence. The 2020-II party doesn't have anywhere enough firepower for that. You're not the massively power crept Super Saiyans from VFD.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
:) Empathy for Orochi Hosokawa.

Also, wow that SEX skill does massive numbers.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 101: A Wing from the Sky

In this one, it's time to scale Fomalhaut's domain.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
🎵It’s called a road, it’s called rainbow road

It is a road where we go
It’s the road where Fomalhaut will die~🎵

Also, the blind dragon design is awesome. Dragon design is off the charts all throughout this series, it’s amazing.

Also also, goddamn you put some absolute bangers in today’s dialogue, even more than you always do :allears: Jesus christ, indeed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 102: Endings and Beginnings

It is the early morning of September 27th, 2021. On an arena high above the planet Earth, a decisive battle for the fate of the planet Earth—not just for this war, but for the future as well—rings out.

Dragon Fight! Ready... Go!!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 103: A Little After the Dream

After this, I'll be taking a week or two's break to allow the VFD LP the courtesy of finishing up its postgame, just to have that context there. With that said:

Let's talk to everyone... one last time.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thank you for showing us this great game duology, Kinu.

(also my heart stopped when I saw my screenname in one of your brackets, even though it's clear it wasn't me you referring to lmao)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Junpei posted:

(also my heart stopped when I saw my screenname in one of your brackets, even though it's clear it wasn't me you referring to lmao)

You can see the result of our conversation!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Many thanks for the LP and the story. Waiting for the postgame with anticipation.

I wonder who Rouge is. Their portrait makes me think EO4 fortress? They remind me of Kirjonen, it's the earrings.

There are a lot of NPCs. Can someone remind me who was Arashi Sunamori's relative? (from context I assume they're dead)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 104: With Murakumo Unit 13

One final challenge remains for Orochi Hosokawa and Unit 13—not a challenge for the present, but a challenge for the future. It's time to head out for one last dungeon dive!

Dragon-Elimination Strike Team, Murakumo Unit 13... Sally forth!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The post-game in this one is uh. Oddly balanced. In 2020 the randoms were dragons but they were significantly nerfed into merely strong encounters. Here you're straight up facing dragons at their full might and the rewards aren't worth it so you might as well skip the encounters. The skills and AI aren't any different from their maingame versions so they got massive stat boosts. I have to wonder if Imageepoch ran outta time to balance the post-game properly.

The bosses are also kind of weird. 2020 actually gave them new AI and skills to make the fights tougher. Here uh, they don't do that. The skills and AI are exactly the same, so Oceanus is smacking you for incredibly piddly 23 or 43 poison damage for one. They're just massively stat boosted.

Oh right here's Fomalhaut. In order it's the diet building encounter, phase 2 of the final boss, phase 1 of the final boss, and the fishing blow gameplay segment. Fomalhaut there actually has his current HP set to 40%, 6931.

quote:

Fomalhaut (LV. 70/65)
-Dark Flash: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.7x damage.
-Nightmare of Darkbloom: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.3x damage. 70% chance to inflict Chaos for 3 turns. 70% chance to inflict Curse for 3 turns. Cursed targets get 30% of the damage they deal reflected back at them. 30% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
-Wings of Rending: Non-elemental Claw attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1.2x damage. Hits 2 times. 50% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
-Claw of Curses: Non-elemental Claw attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. 70% chance to inflict Chaos for 3 turns. 90% chance to inflict Curse for 3 turns. Cursed targets get 30% of the damage they deal reflected back at them.
-Daunting Gaze: Targets one party member. 100% chance to inflict Chaos for 5 turns.
-Omen of Ruin: Telegraph skill.
-Roar of the Abyss: Dispels all ailments on the user.

This is also his skillset for the diet building encounter, which may have been intended to play out differently. His AI file there smacks you around for a few turns before charging up for and unleashing a party wide killing attack, but the fight ends after 1 turn.

quote:

Divine Fomalhaut (LV. 75/70)
-Crystal Plague: Targets the all party members. 60% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns. 60% chance to inflict Freeze for 3 turns. The Freeze ticks for 21 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.8x. 99% chance to inflict Confusion for 3 turns.
-End Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.5x damage.
-Pain Eater: Heals the user for 426/425 LIFE and dispels all ailments on them.
-its time to take a deep breath: Telegraph skill.
-Curse React: Buffs the user. For 6 turns, the user will be granted an extra turn if they inflict Curse.
-Cursed Gleam: Targets one party member. 99% chance to inflict Curse for 5 turns. Cursed targets get 40% of the damage they deal reflected back at them.
-Dark Gale: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party members. ATK-based. 1.5x damage. Cannot miss. 99% chance to inflict Confusion for 3 turns.
-Blackspear Fomalhaut: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 2x damage.
-Omen of Ruin: Telegraph skill.
-Whirlwind: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.6x damage. 7% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.

Phase 2. I have no idea why Whirlwind is so weak. It's not a multihit so the 7% infliction rate doesn't make sense. Maybe they typoed and intended for it to be 70%? I dunno.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
:allears: The sheer power of these girls (and Richter)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Just to state the obvious thing everyone has realized:
ghost Marina is Satsuki, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 105: Wings Beat Back

As the true final battle approaches ever closer, the assault of the devilish reminiscence mounts ever higher—but the past can no longer weigh down Unit 13, and neither can these specters of old enemies. How does that one song from Shadow the Hedgehog go? Oh, yeah. "Here I am, made it to the end of you, never had a chance while I'm around." Yeah, that works.