Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NHO posted:

KlK characters do not possess the sheer teenage lesbian... yeah, what Chisa just radiates. Why the gently caress would I mention it?

A question I dearly wish every single one of those loving bastards in Kat's Twitch stream would've asked themselves. Anime was a mistake. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sorry about the delay—an illness on our artist's part slowed the earlygame down a bit. With that said?

Part 3: Matte! Black Bullet
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

Chisa's gun finds an owner in this one.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
"currency is useless so we're back to bartering, but we're still converting old junk and useful monster bits into easy-to-use units automatically" is... an explanation for why monsters drop money.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's a lot of huge gameplay changes from DS (though also quite a few callbacks, such as putting Hammerheads in the occupied area dungeon.)

A lot of ailments got reworked to have their numbers tuned going off of the skill data now instead of being a hardcoded mechanical interaction. Which leads to stuff like Paralysis having a much lower incapacitation rate compared to the likes of DS and EO. Though you can stack every single ailment on a single enemy now, so that's probably meant to balance it out.

That being said, enemy ailments basically have similar incapacitation rates to DS and Etrian Odyssey style ailments, so it's safe to assume enemy ailments are far more deadly. (Paralysis chances are like 33% to 55%ish on not being able to act to give an example.)

Decoy Mirror is also ridiculously strong in this game. It was a strong defensive skill in 7th Dragon DS, but it got mega buffed here. Lack of shield bleeding and actually making it negate attacks instead of making it essentially a Life extension makes it a fantastic defensive for quite a lot of situations. (And then 2020-II buffed it further. :psyduck:)

quote:

If you're coming from Etrian Odyssey: Dragons are not on the same level of power as FOEs. You're meant to kill them as soon as you see them. In fact, if you don't do that, you will regret it very much down the road.

I think this is why the game forces you to fight 5 dragons at the beginning of the game. It serves as reconditioning if players are more familiar with EO, and lets players know it's okay to fight dragons right away. Smart design.

Fun fan translation fact, in the Japanese version, all the junk items had the same description "Sell this to a shop." The fan translation gave all the items unique descriptions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would just like to note how humongously important it is for counterattack builds that all dragons attack twice per turn.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Clarste posted:

I would just like to note how humongously important it is for counterattack builds that all dragons attack twice per turn.

Through sheer luck I ended up with the perfect counterattack team back when I played.

Dragon would bop my Destroyer twice and eat six counters in return.

It was comical.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Araxxor posted:

Fun fan translation fact, in the Japanese version, all the junk items had the same description "Sell this to a shop." The fan translation gave all the items unique descriptions.
I'm surprised they had unique descriptions for every junk item then, instead of pointing to the same message for each one. I feel bad for the Japanese intern who had to type out "Just sell this" 500 times.

Reminds me of a game I heard of where apparently all the treasure chests had the same dialogue for when they were empty, but like this game, had the line repeated for each chest, so the localization company decided to have a bit of fun with it and gave them all unique dialogue and some fourth-wall-leaning jokes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I'm surprised they had unique descriptions for every junk item then, instead of pointing to the same message for each one. I feel bad for the Japanese intern who had to type out "Just sell this" 500 times.

I am 99.999% sure that what this involves is just copying the cell on an Excel spreadsheet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Commander Keene posted:

Reminds me of a game I heard of where apparently all the treasure chests had the same dialogue for when they were empty, but like this game, had the line repeated for each chest, so the localization company decided to have a bit of fun with it and gave them all unique dialogue and some fourth-wall-leaning jokes.

The Trails Series? They do that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Junpei posted:

I don't remember which game it was, but I'd absolutely believe that XSEED would do that kinda thing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the counters were pretty situational skills in DS. While they could be strong in that game, using them for offense pretty much limited to you to either running a solo or small party or having a Princess or a Knight to redirect attacks towards themselves to get the most out of them, or fighting bosses that have multihit skills (And there weren't that many such bosses in DS.) Or you were trying to bypass the Mage's damage soft caps. Dragons now being able to attack twice per turn pretty much makes reflecting damage back to them an incredibly strong tactic, if not one of the strongest ones. I'm pretty sure the class writeups'll reveal just how much damage you can smack back per turn just by stacking all counters possible.

Oh and before anyone gets any ideas, they changed counter skills to be once per action and not per hit from 2020 onwards, ala EO style counters, so multihits aren't necessarily the best kind of enemies to try to counter.

Granted by VFD, this stopped being one the strongest tactics if only because VFD introduced a ton of better options you could use for massive damage.

Junpei posted:

Commander Keene posted:

I don't remember which game it was, but I'd absolutely believe that XSEED would do that kinda thing.

It was indeed the Trails series where these exact circumstances happened.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I like the story, but I have WORDS to say about art.

I hate most of Satsuki's art, starting from Battle2 that makes her look like a... extremely small head on extremely wide shoulders to most others. Smug is ok. Pity the most I see of her is HATE.
Richter is trying to be french artist stereotype. General impression is ok.
Koron definitely put up her wardrobe to be dark and mysterious, but that resulted in cute set of clothes with impression of failing to do delinquent look.
Youka is not 40 on her dialogue avatars, her main image... well, she's ready TO COOK FOES WITH HER FISTS and RIP HER CLOTHES WITH HER BUST
Chisa is still utter Utena reject and definitely not an useless lesbian.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Araxxor posted:

It was indeed the Trails series where these exact circumstances happened.

One thing writing a hundred one-line gags with minimal context does is give you appreciation for people writing even more gags with even less context!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Unit 13 are all Cool and Good and my friends.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Addendum I: Chisa Inomiko (Unit 13's Captain, Class: Samurai) Tactical Overview Part 1

The story's first bonus update. This one goes over Chisa's skills.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Full tables for Redfire Breath and Darksteel Breath for those that are curious.

Redfire:

Darksteel:

At least they're not loving 30 turns in this game?? Not sure why DS think they needed to scale up for that long.

Healing is also really simple. Base Heal + (MAT / 10), that's it. Only use MAT has for physical attackers. (Meanwhile Psychic is basically free to ignore ATK all they want.)

Priority is similar to how Pokemon handles priority brackets, except in 7th Dragon's case, the lower the priority number, the better it is.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I greatly enjoyed the party chat on the skills.

Samurai seem to be the Basic but Deadly class of the game, which isnt really a bad thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be perfectly honest I have no idea why you would ever actually want to switch out of Iai stance. Investing in Battou stance skills? Sure, they don't require any set-up so that's still useful. But switching out just seems pointless to me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Battou's better against aerial enemies and sometimes you gotta get that Motionless Battering Gale.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Then you just don't switch to Iai stance in the first place? I can't see it being worth it to waste two turns switching back and worth.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My brain is currently on the fritz, so I can't come up with an actually coherent argument. Since I will be obtaining both skills, I will shout you out, my acquaintance Clarste, in the LP itself if I ever find myself having Chisa unsheath her flashing blade to return to mare-mare-maware'ing like a moron. These are the vicissitudes of Kabuki life. Se, no! Ichi ni san hai!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Satsuki's weird eye-pop portrait makes her look like a One Piece character. It's kind of weirdly offputting.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

Then you just don't switch to Iai stance in the first place? I can't see it being worth it to waste two turns switching back and worth.

I'm not experienced with this game, but if Battou has the AOE skills, it could be worthwhile to switch back to Battou if you have a boss that doesn't start off with adds/mooks/minions, but summons them later in the fight at a specific HP threshold or after a certain amount of turns or something.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Junpei posted:

I'm not experienced with this game, but if Battou has the AOE skills, it could be worthwhile to switch back to Battou if you have a boss that doesn't start off with adds/mooks/minions, but summons them later in the fight at a specific HP threshold or after a certain amount of turns or something.

man by the way junpei i haven't posted in LP or like at all on SA in like two fuckin years or something, so when people told me you were a good poster now i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" but sure the gently caress enough, without losing your particular deep lack of irony you have in fact become Cool and a poster whose power I can respect. I'm proud of you. I wish only that when I joined SA at the ripe young age of far, far too young, that I had become cool as fast as you have, instead of taking until uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh, gently caress, wait, I'm not cool yet. no! poo poo!! the self-own!! no... nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, gonna have to agree with Clarste. There's only one set of situations where I can think of where you might consider switching back to Battou Stance, but that's locked to lategame. Otherwise flipping back and forth between stances is a huge waste of turns.

Also an important note about buffs, unlike Etrian Odyssey's in-game skill descriptions, 7th Dragon's in-game skill descriptions count the casting turn in their duration count as well.

Junpei posted:

Surprisingly that's actually something bosses or dragons don't really do in this game, or this series compared to EO bosses. Probably cause from 2020 onwards, the shift to giving dragons and bosses 2 actions per turn would make the action economy spiral out of control in the dragons' favor if they had minions.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 25, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

man by the way junpei i haven't posted in LP or like at all on SA in like two fuckin years or something, so when people told me you were a good poster now i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" but sure the gently caress enough, without losing your particular deep lack of irony you have in fact become Cool and a poster whose power I can respect. I'm proud of you. I wish only that when I joined SA at the ripe young age of far, far too young, that I had become cool as fast as you have, instead of taking until uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh, gently caress, wait, I'm not cool yet. no! poo poo!! the self-own!! no... nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Aww. Thanks. Glad that we can make amends for my shithead days. God, I cringe so hard at myself back then. I was so dumb.

Not anymore, though. I'm cool now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

We all did dumb things as teens, don't worry too much about it.

Incidentally, pretty much the only way to get the most out of Redfire Breath is to trigger react turns. Without any react turns, it's barely much of an increase in damage. About 105.5% overall, if the battle even lasts for that long.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 25, 2020

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 4: An Express Delivery

In this part, we are befuddled by mapping.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Shimatta, there weren't any posts between these two updates! Oh well!! I guess there are just going to be two updates in a row!!! Gyeaaaahhh!

Part 5: Women of War

There's a boss fight in this one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You weren't joking about that boss music, hot drat.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, it's a good tense track since fights against Imperials can get pretty rough.

Warcry can be a bit of a nasty boss, but this section of the game really fudges things in your favor as you're getting used to things. All the dragons here, Warcry included, barely resist ailments so a Dagger Trickster can end up being a huge help. A lot of things in this game get far more manageable if you double stack resistance accessories, so being able to avoid stuff like Paralysis can help a ton.

quote:

A lot of ailments got reworked to have their numbers tuned going off of the skill data now instead of being a hardcoded mechanical interaction. Which leads to stuff like Paralysis having a much lower incapacitation rate compared to the likes of DS and EO. Though you can stack every single ailment on a single enemy now, so that's probably meant to balance it out.

That being said, enemy ailments basically have similar incapacitation rates to DS and Etrian Odyssey style ailments, so it's safe to assume enemy ailments are far more deadly. (Paralysis chances are like 33% to 55%ish on not being able to act to give an example.)

quote:

Typhoon Howl: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.25x damage. 0.75x speed. Cannot miss. 65% chance to inflict Paralysis for 3 turns. Paralyzed targets have a 35% chance to not act.

Case in point on enemy ailments being far nastier than player ones... yeah you really don't want to go in without Paras Guards.

An interesting thing to note is that Warcry actually has 2 different regular attack animations. Him clawing you, and then he starts adding in biting you to the mix when he's below half HP. That's not actually for show, though both attacks deal the same damage. There's something alternate basic attack animations does affect a little later, though I think that'll be talked about fairly soon. Another fun fact. Gather Power does absolutely nothing. It's just there to warn you about Typhoon Howl, which is Warcry's strongest skill. In fact several enemy telegraph skills don't actually boost up the enemy. Their next attack is just naturally that strong. It's just like Etrian Odyssey 1 charge skills!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hmmmm. How does boss AI work in this game? Is it a set pattern of "use Flame Breath, then normal attack, then Claw Swipe, then go back to step 1"? Is it random what skills they use?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

Hmmmm. How does boss AI work in this game? Is it a set pattern of "use Flame Breath, then normal attack, then Claw Swipe, then go back to step 1"? Is it random what skills they use?

We have no idea on the specifics. We couldn't even find that info. That being said, it's mostly set for dragons. All dragons have a set pattern of attacks they'll follow for the first few turns before doing random stuff. Though they actually have like 3 different AI sets depending on how the battle started out. Preemptive attack, surprise attack, and even footing. Not only that, they'll also change their behavior immediately upon reaching a certain LIFE threshold, so it's also phase based as well. This does make hunting down dragons easier since you'll have to kill multiple of the same species and makes things more efficient if you can capitalize on your knowledge from when you first fought a new dragon.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
I remember Warcry giving me a lot of hell, good show there!

Also, it’s nice to see Mio again.

I think all the games from 2020 on hate proper numbering of chapters :v:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Mio! :neckbeard:

I like the idea of the members on the bench still participating and helping a lot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some dragons down, 200 to go. :hellyeah:

Excuse me how many did you say?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At least it's not 666, Chisa. Look at it that way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Appendix A: Regarding the Backgrounds of Unit 13

During the runup to the LP's launch, I posted short stories about each of the characters' backstories in Rea's server. These are canonical to the LP, so you might find them interesting.

The Young Lady and the Cloaked Man
The Camera Girl and her Cats
The Haggard Woman and her Family
The Hitchhiker and the Waiting List
The Hermit and the Rabbit Doll
The Otaku and the World that Wasn't
Homura Akaneno and her Old Friend

—hey, you haven't shown up yet, Homura! Fine, you can stay.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Appendix A: Regarding the Backgrounds of Unit 13
The Hermit and the Rabbit Doll

quote:

For a moment, this hermit girl with a mind of flame paused, and looked toward her doll. "Nagamimi," she said, "thank you for your patience." The doll said nothing.

There are many implications with this line and all of them scare me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You'd think Chisa would remember the "gardener" weirdo the second time she met him but I guess the isekai memory fuckery prevented that making both of those meetings the first one, from her point of view.
Now I wonder if mr. gardener there is the final boss or a concerned third party wanting to cut down on this bloom/dragonsbane infestation. Probably the first.

I was wondering what Mio would be doing, but then I remembered a couple spoilers about 2020 Hatsune Miku is playable, or at least her class is, so idol singer Mio is go.