Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omobono posted:

I was wondering what Mio would be doing, but then I remembered a couple spoilers about 2020 Hatsune Miku is playable, or at least her class is, so idol singer Mio is go.

Idol was added in 2020-II, we only got the 5 classes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Is Seven Deadly Struggles used in any other game? It sounds vaguely familiar

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Appendix B: The Boy's Got Wings (Regarding the Events of Eight Years Ago)

A summary of the events of how Chisa and Mio met. Satsuki wants those hot deets.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BrightWing posted:

Is Seven Deadly Struggles used in any other game? It sounds vaguely familiar

It's not used in 7th Dragon DS or VFD.

Fun fact, this game actually has difficulty modes, Standard and Casual. They're both what you'd expect, though Casual is blatantly tacked on. As for why I say this. What Casual does is reduce damage by 15%, and reduces enemies; life by 15%. As well as giving a 5% boost to SP and EXP payouts. Sounds good, but there's one big problem. The damage reduction applies to everyone's damage! From what I can tell, they just slapped on a check at the end of the damage formula that goes "Is the player playing on Casual mode? Multiply damage by 0.85 if so." Without any regard for who is dealing the damage. So the 15% HP reduction is entirely negated by that mistake, meaning the only thing it really does for you is reduce damage and put you ahead on the level curve ever so slightly.

Later games just straight up have an entirely different stat table that's used for enemies on Casual mode, avoiding this mistake entirely.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oh hell I just realized who the cloaked man is.

That exposition loving rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 6: Tiny Village in the Desert
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

We get the lay of our new house. Also, Mom shows up.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Homura is...a lot to take in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I finished tearing through 2020 data (though not II) for Kinu to the point where 2020 is now basically an open book, so she and Rea should have a lot more info on the back end now.

Speaking of which guess what, the Samurai buff over time skills are bugged! The data table is misaligned. Normally the turn 1 values (which are stuck at 1x) are there as dummy values as casting it on the first turn doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the turn 2 effect starts off at the turn 1 column instead! Meaning that on the turn after you cast the buffs... you get no benefit. And have to wait for the turn after that for them to start kicking in. And because 1 of the turns is accidentally wasted, the effect cuts off at the turn 9 column instead of the turn 10 column, making these skills worse than intended.

This bug was not fixed in II.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Araxxor posted:

I finished tearing through 2020 data (though not II) for Kinu to the point where 2020 is now basically an open book, so she and Rea should have a lot more info on the back end now.

Speaking of which guess what, the Samurai buff over time skills are bugged! The data table is misaligned. Normally the turn 1 values (which are stuck at 1x) are there as dummy values as casting it on the first turn doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the turn 2 effect starts off at the turn 1 column instead! Meaning that on the turn after you cast the buffs... you get no benefit. And have to wait for the turn after that for them to start kicking in. And because 1 of the turns is accidentally wasted, the effect cuts off at the turn 9 column instead of the turn 10 column, making these skills worse than intended.

This bug was not fixed in II.

:doh:
The series truly is Etrian Odyssey's brother.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jesus, that sucks. I do remember that on Gamefaqs, our old pal Dr. Fetus had did some datamining for the VFD classes and their skills, and the Samurai long-term slow self-buffs weren't bugged there, at least.

Also, let me just quickly put on my 'Mythology Nerd' hat for a second and explain where the name "Murakumo" comes from.

Murakumo is short for "Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi", aka "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven". It was the sword that the storm god Susano-o pulled out of the 8-headed serpent (not quite a dragon, but close) named Orochi after getting it drunk and beheading it. He presented it to his sister, the sun goddess Amaterasu, to make up for a feud, and it later became known as "Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi" aka "Grass-Cutting Sword" while being used by the hero-prince Yamato Takeru.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

I do remember that on Gamefaqs, our old pal Dr. Fetus had did some datamining for the VFD classes and their skills, and the Samurai long-term slow self-buffs weren't bugged there, at least.

Yes, that is me. :v:

Also I'd probably take some of that with a grain of salt. Back then I didn't have the ability to dig as deep into the games as I do now. Been meaning to do a 2nd pass on those writeups. In fact until a few days ago, the reference material I mined out months ago for Kinu and Rea for 2020 were woefully inaccurate and out of date. Spent the past few weeks data drilling into the game (and getting a game complete save file I could having a testing environment with) and correcting a bunch of faulty assumptions on my part. (And discovering some more hilarious bugs with a few skills as a result.)

Junpei posted:

Also, let me just quickly put on my 'Mythology Nerd' hat for a second and explain where the name "Murakumo" comes from.

Murakumo is short for "Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi", aka "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven". It was the sword that the storm god Susano-o pulled out of the 8-headed serpent (not quite a dragon, but close) named Orochi after getting it drunk and beheading it. He presented it to his sister, the sun goddess Amaterasu, to make up for a feud, and it later became known as "Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi" aka "Grass-Cutting Sword" while being used by the hero-prince Yamato Takeru.

Ah, that'd explain the sword logo for the organization, I see.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Part 6: Tiny Village in the Desert

We get the lay of our new house. Also, Mom shows up.

As mentioned, I'll be commenting on the double meaning of the chapter titles:

In Japanese it's "Survivors".

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 7: Dancer in the Street

In this one, we head to the next dungeon and Richter incurs the ire of some slimes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That remix of Jungle Navigation is nice, maybe give that a listen.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 8: SKY and the Others

In this one, I'm in.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... luvshock.exe and poisnjam.exe?

The Love Shockers and Poison Jam were two of the rival gangs from Jet Set Radio...

was that a joke/reference added in the fan translation or was that in the original Japanese as well

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

Wait... luvshock.exe and poisnjam.exe?

The Love Shockers and Poison Jam were two of the rival gangs from Jet Set Radio...

was that a joke/reference added in the fan translation or was that in the original Japanese as well

Those were added by the fan translation. Their original names, respectively, were madstrife.exe and lostpower.exe (though written as マッドストライフⅩ and ロストパワーⅩ). You might recognize the latter names better from the official 7th Dragon 3 localization, where they're used for the Agent's versions of those skills.

While 2020, as far as I can tell, does not reference Jet Set Radio, 7D3 actually does! The masculine Agent portraits' shirts have the Jet Set Radio logo on them.

They also have the eye from the masculine Psychic's (so, Mugen's) hoodie in 2020 on their beanie.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In fact, that portrait's official name is Jet. Like with DS, the portraits in the rest of the series have "canon names" as well. Unlike with DS, you get no bonus SP for doing so nor are there passwords to give them said names.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 27, 2020

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Just popping in to say that, at first blush, the Hack skills look to me like a better execution of Etrian Odyssey Hexer's Fear subtree. Having relative early access to the Hack debuff and associated manipulation makes it feel like a more natural expression of the class's ability set, unlike Fear which sits at the end of a long tree of other debuffs and therefore feels more like an abrupt shift in abilities should the player choose to pursue it.

Rofaner
May 30, 2011

Satsuki no loot doesn't go in your mouth don't put bullets in there

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rofaner posted:

Satsuki no loot doesn't go in your mouth don't put bullets in there

But then why do you tell people to eat lead when you shoot them?

Checkmate, Murakumo.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 9: Working Today, Too
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror

In this one, we do some manual work with Counters.Party and Chisa deals with the tribulations of motherhood.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

ok hold on its hard to tell how much is the original game and how much is y'all here so,

does 7th dragon 2020 actually have a side quest where you get a blue pill bottle for a 'transfixing woman' and she tells you 'those hormones are important to me'

like for real?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SpruceZeus posted:

ok hold on its hard to tell how much is the original game and how much is y'all here so,

does 7th dragon 2020 actually have a side quest where you get a blue pill bottle for a 'transfixing woman' and she tells you 'those hormones are important to me'

like for real?

That is completely and utterly legitimate. Everything in the actual screenshots is 100% genuine the game—while we've altered the model colors and character art for the PCs, any text present in the actual screenshots is utterly unaltered.

It has some imperfections, but the 7th Dragon series is occasionally shockingly inclusive—see also Lovestruck Worker and whatnot, and some other things we'll get to. Code VFD, the last game in the series, even has a whole sidequest about an SDF soldier attempting to ask out one of your bosses because he reminds him of his dead boyfriend, and your boss letting him down easy not because he's a dude, but because of that emotional connection making it kind of a bad idea—not to mention mechanically, you can have your characters date NPCs of either gender once we unlock a later facility.

I like it. I like it when things like that happen. I like this series a lot. Thank you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That is in the game, though it's only the fan translation saying that and not the original JP version. VFD would go on to be a lot more inclusive about things though, but the rest of the series doesn't really say much unfortunately. (At the very least it's not offensive, though there are some side-eye worthy moments here and there.) Again, VFD is much better about this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
way to cramp my style talking about the original japanese text to a game i've never played in the original japanese. i tell ya, why's a philistine like me even running this LP (it's because i'm the only person who likes these games)

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

its still good. i liked it. :unsmith:

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 1, 2020

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Chuuni accelerates and grows in size simultaneously. YAY

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 10: Smash Up!

In this one, Richter suffers from job anxiety.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rival Arrival is one of the best tracks in the game. Definitely give that one a listen! Also yeah counter parties are just nuts and tear through dragons since they activate twice if the dragon opts to attack your party twice.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I do like how Neko and Daigo use actual player classes.

I'm a sucker for mirror matches.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't have an update for you all, but happy new year. 2020 is over now for us. Thankfully, since this LP covers two games, I still have a year to go before I become obsolete and dated and wither into dust. Please wish Unit 13 luck in escaping 2020.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
We're back now.

Part 11: The World Beneath Your Feet
|| SSLP Test Post mirror.

Remember to eat candy, kids.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unfortunately in 7th Dragon DS, Curse is still poop due to being basically a direct sister of EO. (Also for some reason Curse got nerfed there???)

In the later games, it's an actual DPS ailment. Feedback is absurd. Most dragons and bosses just have a 0.8x multiplier against Curse, which basically amounts to a 76% chance on average to land it. Which is absolutely ridiculous when it basically takes 1 to 2 turns on average to land Feedback (averaging close to 1 turn), meaning you can save EX for Hacking attempts instead so you can set up luvshock.exe easily. Combo that with luvshock.exe and enemies essentially shred themselves for 1575% damage! On top of denying a turn to them which can be huge in dragon and boss fights. Unfortunately luvshock's damage does take into account the target's defense stat, so if it's particularly high, the self attacks won't do much, but fortunately there's not too many cases where you have to worry about that.

Hackers can be a ridiculously strong support if you use them right.

Incidentally Thunder Breath here is a mistranslation. It's actually supposed to be Sand Breath, which is why it blinds instead of doing something like paralyzing, and not the first time this error is made either. Which is funny cause there are actual Thunder Breaths in this game. This version of Thunder Breath has a 35% chance to blind for 3 turns and multiplies accuracy by 0.85x. Enemy blind for the most part can be face tanked through, namely cause a ton of player skills in this game have super high accuracy.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 17, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jesus, is there anything Richter can't do?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

Jesus, is there anything Richter can't do?

Build up his Exhaust gauge. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, building up EX with a Hacker is basically awful, which is a shame cause they really get a lot of benefits from EX. Only 2 skills grant EX, so they have to smack things with their Chakrams to even build it up, or facetank a bunch of hits. There are thankfully ways around that, but you're basically not gonna see Hackers reach 100% EX more than once or twice in a dungeon run.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Addendum II: SATSUKI (Unit 13's Treasurer, Class: Trickster) Tactical Overview

Man, now I'm hungry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Satsuki makes The Flash and the cast of Kamen Rider Kabuto look like turtles. So fast. Many actions. Big crits.