Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Blind is basically not a real ailment in 2020. In fact accuracy is a really underutilized mechanic overall in 2020 outside of very specific circumstances. The accuracy formula is really simple: Accuracy = (Unit Accuracy * Skill Accuracy * Blind Factor) - Evasion. Most of the time everyone has 100% innate accuracy. The blind accuracy multipliers are rather ineffective. Most of the time enemy blind just applies a 0.75x multiplier to accuracy. The thing is, on the player side, most attacking skills in the game have at least 1.5x accuracy. Just look at the Samurai and Trickster writeups. So your party can easily bypass the blind by either not giving a drat if they're a Hacker, or just using an attacking skill since that still has over 100% accuracy.

And against enemies and dragons? Well it can work but a 15% reduction isn't really something notable, though you can stack ailments. But against bosses, don't even bother. Nearly every single attacking skill from a boss has the "Cannot Miss" flag. Meaning most of the time it'll only have an effect on their regular attacks (which they do use periodically so it's not entirely nothing.)

Venom Boost got nerf hammered hard from 7th Dragon DS, because in DS it can be stacked infinitely, and always multiplied poison damage by 1.3x no matter how many Healers were in the party, which is rather ridiculous when you have 4 Healers in the party. (Yes they handed the lethal poison to the medic class.) It's still really drat good in 2020, which kind of speaks to how game shattering it could be in DS.

Surprise Hunt nullifying only dragons walking into your back seems like a rather small bonus, doesn't it? Guess what, it's bugged. It was supposed to work on all surprise attacks period, but doesn't work on random encounters in 2020. This was fixed in 2020-II. Sadly the preemptive aspect doesn't work on dragon battles or boss fights, but you can already walk into dragons' backs anyways for the former.

There may be several of you wondering why Sacrifice even exists. That skill originated from DS. For those of you familiar with that game, that is probably all the explanation you need. To go more into depth, it was one of the Rogue's skills. What's worse was that it was an EX skill and easily the worst one in the game because it permanently killed the Rogue there too! Also it deleted whatever equipment the Rogue had as insult to injury. At least 2020's version returns them to you because there is plenty of one time equipment in the game. It had slightly different effects there. If no one in the enemy party was 10 or more levels above the Rogue, they would either have a 100% base chance to instantly die, or take 70% of their max LIFE as damage if the former effect didn't activate, as well as the full heal. Otherwise if even a single enemy was that much stronger, everyone just got smacked for 100% typeless damage. This still kills the Rogue. I can only assume the thought was "what if we let players have their characters commit heroic sacrifices through gameplay instead of cutscenes?" I'm not sure why it made it into 2020 though.

Incidentally, quite a few players ended up permanently killing the Trickster by accident and were understandably pissed afterwards. How did this happen? Well the Japanese description is kind of vague...

quote:

Large damage to all enemies + Party fully recovers + User disappears (LOST)
Yeah. Pokeytax's skill descriptions tried to be more accurate and his version of Sacrifice's description was at least:

quote:

Lose one's life forever to turn the tables.
Though it can be easy to gloss over that because "What kind of game would permanently kill my party members through using a skill?" is probably an easy thought to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yeah when I saw Sacrifice's description I popped a save state just to see if it was really that bad.

I sorta wish I went with knife Trickster now, but I my team also had Mage and Destroyer so counters for days were just as fun.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wow. I uh, really wasn't expecting to see a permadeath skill, and on the thief-y character no less. Usually those types of skills are reserved for tanks or healers.

I gotta respect em for it though, it's one hell of a bold move to give a class a "delete this character" button in an rpg.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 12: Watch Your Step!
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

In this one, there’s a big boy.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2021

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 13: Steel Myself for Battle

In this one, Chisa wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I... actually checked to see if Phantasy Moon was a real game. Alas, all the results were either Phantasy Star or Harvest Moon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

According to a developer interview, that was intended to be Gigawatt, not Jigowatt (It's a Back to the Future reference, yes.) But one of the writers misspelled it and they just ended up rolling with it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Junpei posted:

I... actually checked to see if Phantasy Moon was a real game. Alas, all the results were either Phantasy Star or Harvest Moon.
Yeah, it's almost certainly supposed to be a play on Phantasy Star, considering 7th Dragon is published by Sega as well. Harvest Moon is Marvelous, so the choice of celestial body to replace "Star"in the off-brand naming is probably a coincidence.

All of this is assuming the name is directly translated, of course, and not an in joke added by the fan translation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's Phantasy Moon in the original Japanese as well.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I never did get to play Phantasy Moon 4... It was such a shame, it looked cool.

YOOOOOO hey Mama Fudoji you wanna play it? I've got it. Hang out with Rudy and Lyra and Thray and my FUCKIN BOY, Seth?

"I just think it's so cool how you guys can take down monsters" and then he throws a Deathspell at someone

sup y'all i'm just an ordinary archeologist with my casts of CORROSION, BABYYYY

We did just get that Genesis... Sure, why not?

For how long it had been since she'd played a video game, I will say that Youka had a surprising ability to get back into it. She took to Phantasy Moon 4 almost as well as she did Mario Party... er, well, that's a story for another time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 14: Lost in Green

In this episode, let's talk about our feelings.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Part 13: Steel Myself for Battle

In this one, Chisa wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

A little late, but the Japanese title of this chapter is "Heaven's Super-Electromagnetic Cannon". You could also read it as Railgun, I guess.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 15: Even Towards Death, Valiantly

Live your life without any regrets.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Then—

Is there supposed to be the same screen twice here, or am I witnessing a glitch in the Matrix?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a technical issue because I made a typo in the image listing for the update. It's Rea's site the updates are hosted on, so I already know about it but I can't fix it until she wakes up tomorrow. For your benefit, the second image is Jeanne calling in to inform the gang that the recon squad is calling in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah this game does not gently caress around in its tone, which can be a real stark contrast if you're coming off of VFD which is very oddly really lighthearted in comparison to the rest of the series. (DS while being more along the lines of a traditional fantasy JRPG in terms of tone, did have its share of some hosed up poo poo.)

Chapter 1 was sure something but chapter 2 is where the game really got my attention and drew me into the setting. A cage made out of railroad tracks and trains and train stations is a pretty memorable setting.

Koron should be very glad the game being played is not 7th Dragon DS. There are far more out there dragon designs in that game. :v: (I don't even know how something like Eclipse would have worked as a 3D model for one.)

Ah Tower Dragons. They... certainly existed in DS. Then 2020 turned them into something the entire playerbase despises because they're so annoying to fight. There's absolutely no way to pierce that Jump, as every attack, even the ones flagged as "can't miss" are instead flagged as "auto-miss" so don't even try. (VFD added in the power of friendship to knock them out of that state at least.)

That Railgun is a scripted miniboss. By which I mean it's innate accuracy stat and the accuracy of its skills are set to 0% so it's nearly impossible to lose. (There's a lower bound of a 1% chance of being hit so you could theoretically lose the battle if you really tried for some reason.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
:cry:

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Got an account in large part because this LP is criminally underrated. I've really grown attached to Unit 13, and I wanted to show my appreciation somehow.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
This LP is so good! I'm on the edge of my seat to see what happens next!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm growing attached to Unit 13 as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Ikebukuro Railcage is what really sold me on this setting. It's just... awesome, yet also horrific. This incredible, bizarre thing that completely warps the modern world into something it's clearly not supposed to be. It's really neat. Dragons are neat. Dragons are terrifying.

You probably don't want to hear me complain about BFD forever, but I feel like this one dungeon sort of represents everything that VFD lacks.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
VFD isn't a (i)bad(/i) game, but it plants itself firmly in this weird place where it doesn't really have what made either 7th Dragon DS or 7th Dragon 2020 special. It's an odd game.

JeffRaze posted:

Got an account in large part because this LP is criminally underrated. I've really grown attached to Unit 13, and I wanted to show my appreciation somehow.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'm growing attached to Unit 13 as well.

GodofDiscord posted:

This LP is so good! I'm on the edge of my seat to see what happens next!

Y-y'all are gonna make me cry... :shobon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

VFD is alright but yeah, going from VFD to any of the earlier games, especially the 2020s, can be a huge bit of culture shock as someone described to me. As someone whose first introduction to this franchise was VFD, that game didn't click a ton with me, but I got hooked hard into the rest of the 3 games when I went back to those. (Though DS took a while to really hook me but once it did, hoo boy!) And 2020 snagged me by this point in the game.

I do have a lot of words to say about VFD, but they'd probably be better suited for someone's hypothetical VFD LP instead of derailing this particular LP to 80 years in the future. (That and such discussions would spoil the rest of the games like rotten milk.) I will say this though, it's a drat shame the other 3 games got left behind in Japan. Many thanks to Pokeytax for letting those titles live on in fan translations at the very least.

2020 as you've all seen in this update is not afraid to get personal and visceral in what happens in this twisted and distorted world and it's great. :allears: The sheer wrongness of the setting, and the sea of senseless deaths is just really gruesome. A lot of what the 2020s did has a bunch of roots in what DS pulled off and they really decided to go all in on some of those roots as they took the games in a different direction, like the sheer batshit insane moments and just really getting drat metal with the plot beats and setting.

quote:

It's great and really sells the Imperial Dragons as forces of nature and beings from not here rather than just "the next boss". This one inverted a tower and created a mess of floating debris orbiting a singularity just by deciding to live here. Looking forward to seeing if they keep up the trend or just kind of drop it like a hot potato in the future.

To the person who said this, boy did you get your wish!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 14, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Didn't the original company for 7D straight up die between 2020-ii and VFD?

I wonder how many of VFD's issues came from a mix of missing original devs and what devs still remaining not remembering their original plans after Imageepoch folded.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Even though Imageepoch was the main company for developing the games, 7th Dragon was always a SEGA IP. Rieko Kodama and Kayzua Niinou were the main heads of the series for DS and 2020, however Niinou left after 2020, so it was namely Kodama in charge for 2020-II and VFD. However she was hospitalized for most of VFD's development.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 16: Prayer

In this one... well, you know...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

This is the point where you realize that SKY's grudge against Murakumo might not be entirely unwarranted.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Holy poo poo, that was some real good writing, you guys.

And Mom's and Richter's rants were a good way to recover from all the feels too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
drat thats good writing. I....might have learned a little something about myself today.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Your writing is what has kept me drawn to this thread. It's amazing! You have a real talent there!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
G-golly, y'all... :blush:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 17: Triple Laser Phase (Vs. Jigowatt)

gently caress railguns, all my homies hate railguns.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jigowatt really drives home how quickly a fight can turn from a one sided rout to just desperately trying to stay standing.

Even though Psychic is pretty much Mage and Healer from 7D thrown together, my own run had my Psychic mostly dedicated to healing. Between incoming damage and only having three party members, I just didn't have the spare turns to throw out hard hitting spells without taking serious risks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Trash Pickup is truly and utterly absurd and is easily one of the biggest selling points of a Hacker. The other selling point is luvshock + Feedback which turns your Hacker from a support class into an outright carry. Fun fact it was supposed to be called Garbage Collection in the fan translation but, Pokeytax ran into character limitations.

Unlike Etrian Odyssey titles past 2 or 7th Dragon DS, ailment duration isn't RNG based. Each individual skill defines how long an ailment lasts if it lands on your party. And Trash Pickup dumpsters on most of it. The other big selling point of Trash Pickup is that it means that as long as your party is fast enough, several ailments will do literally nothing if your party moves before they get inflicted. This also means that ailment defensive accessories are a complete and utter waste with proper usage of TP, and that means you can use stat accessories instead to finish fights considerably faster due to the DPS increase they give. Or to hugely neutralize big attacks with defense accessories. Trash Pickup is completely and utterly broken.

Jigowatt can be a bit of a toughie, and it's something of an infamous boss in the playerbase. While no means impossible, it's kind of a notable difficulty spike where it's placed at and demands you know what you're doing to get past it. It can take a few tries or you might have to grind up a a bit to get past it. Though the artbook and game data might provide some insight onto why this was the case. According to how the artbook organized the area and enemy art, it's likely that Jigowatt was intended to be fought later instead of in Chapter 2. Jigowatt's stats are also kind of a little odd.

War Cry's ailment resistances are set at 0.9 (meaning ailments are only 90% as effective relative to their base infliction chance), and for bosses, this gradually lowers to 0.5 with each boss fight as the game goes on in order to provide a bit of a difficulty curve regarding ailment usage. The chapter 3 boss has their multipliers set to 0.65. Jigowatt on the other hand? Its ailment resistances are set to 0.5 instead, while all the other bosses drag the number down gradually, meaning that only Jigowatt breaks that pattern. This suggests that it was dragged from elsewhere in the game, and they just didn't finish rebalancing the boss fight in time for the final release which could explain the rather large difficulty spike for most players.

Also another bit of an oddity. Bosses are unique in that they have 2 different basic attack animations for the purposes of the tier 2 Destroyer counters, and well to also add some more flair to them as only bosses and very few dragons have this unique privilege. As counters don't check for the damage type, but rather the animation flag (Melee, Ranged, Claw, Fang, and Breath), which are only used to activate counter skills. (This was sadly dropped in VFD since the tier 2 Destroyer counters were thrown out in that game, and the only animation flags used are now Melee and Ranged.) However Jigowatt is a bit weird in that both of its attacking animations, where it shoots at you, and where it headbutts you with an electro ball, are flagged as Ranged, despite it visibly making contact with the party member. There are a few other cases where the animation flags got screwed up and the counter move you're supposed to use doesn't match up with the enemy's attacking animation though fortunately not too many enemies and skills have mismatched animations and flags.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Im a dumb dumb so Imma ask this in spoilers, question about a player character:

Is....is Satsuki giving herself affirmations? To keep her head in the game so to speak?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BrightWing posted:

Im a dumb dumb so Imma ask this in spoilers, question about a player character:

Is....is Satsuki giving herself affirmations? To keep her head in the game so to speak?

It sure looks like it, doesn't it?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

It sure looks like it, doesn't it?

Follow-up: when did she gain the mystic eyes of death perception? Is she a Ryougi?

Anyways congratulations on writing this adorable band of misfits* so adorably well.
*Koron it's a turn of phrase please don't incinerate, freeze or do other painful things to me

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Omobono posted:

Follow-up: when did she gain the mystic eyes of death perception? Is she a Ryougi?

Anyways congratulations on writing this adorable band of misfits* so adorably well.
*Koron it's a turn of phrase please don't incinerate, freeze or do other painful things to me

Please see Addendum 2, Tier 2, segment "Re: Assassin Eyes" for discussion of Agent Kazuki's supposed 'Mystic Eyes of Death Perception'. Please note that Agent Nagataka remains very firm in her statements that Agent Kazuki possesses no magical eye powers of any sort, and being that she possesses such a particular personality, Agent Kazuki's responses to this very, very seldom constitute an affirmation or a denial in a manner that most people can understand.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, see, it's one thing to rile up Koron, it's another to do it in a pitched battle.

On the other hand, to quote Koron, "loving otakus".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Trash Pickup render actual ailment-curing skills and items pointless?