Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since the EO5 LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

It's been a long four years. I'm really glad to have the chance to revisit the storyline and gently caress with it like this. Also hi Clarste. Thank you for not fully draining my energy with your shoggoth powers and allowing me to continue living. I am in your debt.

You're welcome.

LP posted:

Incidentally, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the translation of this game, but I thought it was pretty interesting how the chapters have titles in both English and Japanese, and the English is not quite a translation of the Japanese. In this case, "Senjou no Yobigoe" is more like "call of the battlefield" and sort of has that nuance of being invited to battle. Pretty much every chapter has a double meaning like this, iirc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pokeytax posted:

Interestingly, the English here is actually present in the original JP release, and it definitely isn't just the direct one-to-one; Warcry is rendered elsewhere as ウォークライ, not 戦場の呼び声.

Sorry, that's not how I meant it. I thought it was pretty obvious that both the English and Japanese text were in the original, and that the different meanings were intentional too. It wasn't meant to be a critique of the fan translation, I just thought I'd comment on the Japanese text in the game like I did back in the EO5 LP. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think your translation is great, for the record.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would just like to note how humongously important it is for counterattack builds that all dragons attack twice per turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I'm surprised they had unique descriptions for every junk item then, instead of pointing to the same message for each one. I feel bad for the Japanese intern who had to type out "Just sell this" 500 times.

I am 99.999% sure that what this involves is just copying the cell on an Excel spreadsheet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be perfectly honest I have no idea why you would ever actually want to switch out of Iai stance. Investing in Battou stance skills? Sure, they don't require any set-up so that's still useful. But switching out just seems pointless to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Then you just don't switch to Iai stance in the first place? I can't see it being worth it to waste two turns switching back and worth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Part 6: Tiny Village in the Desert
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

We get the lay of our new house. Also, Mom shows up.

As mentioned, I'll be commenting on the double meaning of the chapter titles:

In Japanese it's "Survivors".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Part 13: Steel Myself for Battle
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

In this one, Chisa wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

A little late, but the Japanese title of this chapter is "Heaven's Super-Electromagnetic Cannon". You could also read it as Railgun, I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Ikebukuro Railcage is what really sold me on this setting. It's just... awesome, yet also horrific. This incredible, bizarre thing that completely warps the modern world into something it's clearly not supposed to be. It's really neat. Dragons are neat. Dragons are terrifying.

You probably don't want to hear me complain about BFD forever, but I feel like this one dungeon sort of represents everything that VFD lacks.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Jigowatt really drives home how quickly a fight can turn from a one sided rout to just desperately trying to stay standing.

Personally, I like it better when an LP doesn't just clear everything perfectly, and gets to show off how dangerous the enemy is. Like, as a player it's an amazing feeling to completely shut down a boss, but that's only because you got to experience what it's like when you don't do that first.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

quote:

Using YUUHI's programming language, I'm measured at about 260 WPM these days. I've gone up 40 WPM since the initial attack!

Yes, I took a while to breach the 160 WPM barrier, but then I managed to master the art of typing on separate keyboards with each hand without losing efficacy—the increase in speed and efficiency is really incredible. When I'm operating simply off of the touch-pad typing on the Gauntlet itself I'm still only at about 175... Ah, that's why I use the holographic screens at times, you see. Ah, and the spectral plug I use is a sort of physical shortcut to speed up the rate of hacking by substituting physical motions for direct keystrokes—

For the record, a court reporter has to type at 225 words per minute just to be qualified to do their job, and the world record is 375 wpm.

That said, they do use a weird system that's not really like ordinary typing, so I guess the key really is to use shortcuts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

There's people that think this class is bad? :psyduck:
The hack into luvshock CC is already worth a party slot alone, because guaranteed stun working on even bosses is insane, nevermind the luvshock/curse combo and the good support suite.

The support suite is the problem: it's just not worth a slot in a 3 person party if you bring them along thinking of them as a supporter. You basically need to abuse luvshock to get any value out of them (other than like Trash Pickup), and a lot of people just don't trust status effects so they won't invest in them. Attack Up/Defense Up aren't worth the cost of a slot if that's all you're doing with them, and they have enough buffs that you can spend all your turns keeping them up if you prioritize their buffs too much.

Junpei posted:

I do like the fact that no matter the class combo (assuming you keep a 3-man party the whole game instead of rotating around like LPers do) you have at least one person who can heal, either actively (Psychic), passively (Hacker) or through items (Trickster)

To be perfectly honest, you are better off just using healing items than relying on Hacker heals. I would call Psychic the only class that can actually function as a healer on its own.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Araxxor posted:

From a boss fight for a quest of fetching food for a gourmet to a random encounter. What a downgrade. :v: Then again the series kind of stopped having non-dragon boss fights after the DS game.

Take out all non-dragons, imo. Both in gameplay and the plot. I am honestly unsure why non-dragon monsters even exist in this setting.

Also, since I forgot to say this earlier, the title of the chapter in Japanese is "Unending Moonlit Night".