Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Commander Keene posted:

I'm surprised they had unique descriptions for every junk item then, instead of pointing to the same message for each one. I feel bad for the Japanese intern who had to type out "Just sell this" 500 times.

Reminds me of a game I heard of where apparently all the treasure chests had the same dialogue for when they were empty, but like this game, had the line repeated for each chest, so the localization company decided to have a bit of fun with it and gave them all unique dialogue and some fourth-wall-leaning jokes.

The Trails Series? They do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

Then you just don't switch to Iai stance in the first place? I can't see it being worth it to waste two turns switching back and worth.

I'm not experienced with this game, but if Battou has the AOE skills, it could be worthwhile to switch back to Battou if you have a boss that doesn't start off with adds/mooks/minions, but summons them later in the fight at a specific HP threshold or after a certain amount of turns or something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

man by the way junpei i haven't posted in LP or like at all on SA in like two fuckin years or something, so when people told me you were a good poster now i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" but sure the gently caress enough, without losing your particular deep lack of irony you have in fact become Cool and a poster whose power I can respect. I'm proud of you. I wish only that when I joined SA at the ripe young age of far, far too young, that I had become cool as fast as you have, instead of taking until uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh, gently caress, wait, I'm not cool yet. no! poo poo!! the self-own!! no... nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Aww. Thanks. Glad that we can make amends for my shithead days. God, I cringe so hard at myself back then. I was so dumb.

Not anymore, though. I'm cool now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hmmmm. How does boss AI work in this game? Is it a set pattern of "use Flame Breath, then normal attack, then Claw Swipe, then go back to step 1"? Is it random what skills they use?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jesus, that sucks. I do remember that on Gamefaqs, our old pal Dr. Fetus had did some datamining for the VFD classes and their skills, and the Samurai long-term slow self-buffs weren't bugged there, at least.

Also, let me just quickly put on my 'Mythology Nerd' hat for a second and explain where the name "Murakumo" comes from.

Murakumo is short for "Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi", aka "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven". It was the sword that the storm god Susano-o pulled out of the 8-headed serpent (not quite a dragon, but close) named Orochi after getting it drunk and beheading it. He presented it to his sister, the sun goddess Amaterasu, to make up for a feud, and it later became known as "Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi" aka "Grass-Cutting Sword" while being used by the hero-prince Yamato Takeru.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... luvshock.exe and poisnjam.exe?

The Love Shockers and Poison Jam were two of the rival gangs from Jet Set Radio...

was that a joke/reference added in the fan translation or was that in the original Japanese as well

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jesus, is there anything Richter can't do?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Satsuki makes The Flash and the cast of Kamen Rider Kabuto look like turtles. So fast. Many actions. Big crits.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I... actually checked to see if Phantasy Moon was a real game. Alas, all the results were either Phantasy Star or Harvest Moon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
:cry:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Trash Pickup render actual ailment-curing skills and items pointless?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm surprised that nobody has made any jokes about Richter being the group's Tuxedo Mask... and then who's Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako

(for the record-Satsuki is Usagi, Mio is Ami, Koron is Rei, Youka is Makoto and Chisa is Minako. I will accept no substitutes.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I do like the fact that no matter the class combo (assuming you keep a 3-man party the whole game instead of rotating around like LPers do) you have at least one person who can heal, either actively (Psychic), passively (Hacker) or through items (Trickster)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Araxxor posted:

Incidentally, Samurai is basically the Fighter analogue while taking elements from Samurai as well, as 7DS Samurai was a lot like Ronin, and that's not exactly an ideal design for a simple offensive class. Trickster is basically the Rogue analogue. Psychics are a mish mash of Mage and Healer, while Destroyer... doesn't really have a direct analogue, they're pretty original. Though they do expand a lot upon the Samurai's Unarmed skill tree from DS. There's no analogue to the Knight though, as a defensive support like that was likely not ideal for a 3 man party, especially in a game that took out the row mechanics.

And then VFD further remixes and makes weirder classes. Agent is Gun Trickster with Hacker tricks and fun combos with any class capable of elemental attacks, God Hand is Destroyer who can heal and buff, you've got classes with even weirder subsystems like Banisher's limited ammo count on top of Mana and playing card games with Duelist...

Rune Knight has the fun and odd combo of being a healer, a berserker, a Dark Knight type and a mage all in one. Samurai can keep the Sheath/Unsheath mechanic but also mix it up with a new dual sword fighting style. Fortuner is a support class that can absolutely debilitate foes while keeping the party buffed and regenerating. The only class I'd say that stays mostly the same is Mage, which is just Psychic again.

Like, VFD has issues, I'll fully admit it, but I do really love the classes, they're fun to play around with and have some neat experimentation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jakuri/Jaqcli is indeed awesome, but I never liked romancing her. While for the first Ar Tonelico I am a full 100% Aurica boy, I kind of flip-flop between Cloche and Luca for 2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm just shocked that Satsuki hasn't referred to this place as "spoopy" yet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's a broken portrait, when they first mention Yotsuya Kaidan. A "RICHTER-SAD".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Insert obvious Star Wars prequel trilogy joke about sand

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Koron calling Takehaya a white knight and a wife guy made my day.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

You know, sometimes I wonder if some parts of this whole update name theming are too obscure for people to get.

I didn't even know there was a name theme for the updates, aside from noticing "The Boy's Got Wings" was a Ys track.

Wait, are they all Ys tracks? or, Falcom songs in general including Trails?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Weird brain connection: Whenever I see a Heal Aero item used or gained all I can think of is Viola's "Heal Arrow" move from Eternal Sonata

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Will admit it is throwing me, coming from VFD, because that Samurai EX Skill animation is reused (loosely/roughly-the character models there have slightly less chibi-y proportions, plus the 3DS has more graphical fidelity than the PSP does) for the dual-wielding style there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh it's not the reused assets that throw me-I've been seeing stuff that I saw first in VFD be reused since the first couple of updates-it's just that in my head I still associate that move being done by someone using two swords.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy poo poo if Blue Exorcist is as half as good as this song I need to check it out sooner.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One thing that I'm still not sure of is if our party is just gonna get down-leveled when we swap over to 2020-II, or if you'll have a whole new party for that game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mizuchi is the name of a Japanese water dragon, for what it's worth.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And to think this all started when Endorph thought an isekai'd otaku girl would be fun addition to the usual EO LP character submissions. Who would have thought that it would bloom into all this?

heh. "bloom".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How very Disgaea of you to have a fourth wall breaking post game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I am going to be unable to associate the surname "Sakuraba" with anything other than an orange-haired emo stuck in a death game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
America, gently caress No!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've got a Fever, and the only cure is more dead Dragons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wow, this dungeon sounds like it's gonna be full of 'damage tiles'.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jesus.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like someone should say something about how we should all do our part to stop IRL normal acid rain.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The part of me that always wants sequels to be newer and radder is annoyed that they just reused Sleepy Hollow.

The empathetic part of me that understands how hard game development can be and fights against crunch culture is fine with this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not relevant to anything but Marina is adorable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"Giving someone the third degree" can mean insulting or bullying so they might be asking how much of SECT11 getting dunked on is game-originating vs written by you.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Action economy fuckery always tends to be at least a little broken. Why do you think a Dancer always ends up in everyone's endgame Fire Emblem team comps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well that's a hell of an effective "All your base are belong to us" moment right there.