Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really like Tokyo Hall Inverted as a starter dungeon. Boss dragons in 7D were more plain about things. This one fucks with a volcano, that one smacks airships out of the sky. The first boss dragon here flips a building while leaving the outside unchanged.
You aren't fighting a beast, you're fighting a force of nature.

Roluth posted:

Only 5 classes, huh? Seems pretty small for a dungeon crawler like this.

Trickster has two weapon lines, so in practice it feels more like 6 which meshes nicely with the three man party.

Speaking of that, I'm honestly curious if the original 7D was going to have a three man party at one point, as most NPC teams you run into in that are all three man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

This is a noted issue for some people on mobile that I don't really know what to do about! "Try to read it on desktop" feels a bit dismissive but I'm, technically speaking, a dumbass who does words good, and I honestly have no idea how to fix it.

Is there any particular reason your images are .webp? You're the first LP I've read that uses it, and that might be part of it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Clarste posted:

I would just like to note how humongously important it is for counterattack builds that all dragons attack twice per turn.

Through sheer luck I ended up with the perfect counterattack team back when I played.

Dragon would bop my Destroyer twice and eat six counters in return.

It was comical.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Appendix A: Regarding the Backgrounds of Unit 13
The Hermit and the Rabbit Doll

quote:

For a moment, this hermit girl with a mind of flame paused, and looked toward her doll. "Nagamimi," she said, "thank you for your patience." The doll said nothing.

There are many implications with this line and all of them scare me.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

I was wondering what Mio would be doing, but then I remembered a couple spoilers about 2020 Hatsune Miku is playable, or at least her class is, so idol singer Mio is go.

Idol was added in 2020-II, we only got the 5 classes here.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oh hell I just realized who the cloaked man is.

That exposition loving rear end in a top hat. :argh:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rofaner posted:

Satsuki no loot doesn't go in your mouth don't put bullets in there

But then why do you tell people to eat lead when you shoot them?

Checkmate, Murakumo.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I do like how Neko and Daigo use actual player classes.

I'm a sucker for mirror matches.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Yeah when I saw Sacrifice's description I popped a save state just to see if it was really that bad.

I sorta wish I went with knife Trickster now, but I my team also had Mage and Destroyer so counters for days were just as fun.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Didn't the original company for 7D straight up die between 2020-ii and VFD?

I wonder how many of VFD's issues came from a mix of missing original devs and what devs still remaining not remembering their original plans after Imageepoch folded.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

This is the point where you realize that SKY's grudge against Murakumo might not be entirely unwarranted.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Jigowatt really drives home how quickly a fight can turn from a one sided rout to just desperately trying to stay standing.

Even though Psychic is pretty much Mage and Healer from 7D thrown together, my own run had my Psychic mostly dedicated to healing. Between incoming damage and only having three party members, I just didn't have the spare turns to throw out hard hitting spells without taking serious risks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

My funniest moment in 2020-II was having Quick Hack go off against a boss.

Luvshock -> Shutdown and suddenly I had a bunch of turns to set up while the boss was helpless.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I just really like how Croix is pretty much the only guy in media to take off his loving glasses when in a dangerous area, rather than keep them on and be one punch to the face away from having to buy new ones.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

You think Chisa is well-adjusted?

I'm half expecting her to have a small breakdown near the end as she thinks she'll get isekai'd again after this adventure.

Only to be proven right, as the 2020 Samurai shows up as a DLC for VFD.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

darealkooky posted:

Chump monsters exist so that Murakumo has something to fight, and thus have a reason they track down teenagers with attitude, before dragons show up and ruin everyone's day. This game is like if you were watching your standard urban fantasy battle shonen about fighting monsters in Tokyo and then halfway into the first episode third impact happens.

Why they still exist after dragons mess up the planet instead of being immolated weeks ago? Well...

You could always mix in 7D 1's reason.

There were always monsters, dragons showed up, and now all the monsters are getting amped up by the Bloom. The dragons don't care because monsters don't pose a threat to them anyways.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Junpei posted:

I didn't even know there was a name theme for the updates, aside from noticing "The Boy's Got Wings" was a Ys track.

Wait, are they all Ys tracks? or, Falcom songs in general including Trails?

They're songs in general. Matte Black Bullet is Super Robot Wars, while Triple Laser Phase is Portal, for example.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

God I love the end of the cult subplot.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to get eaten by a dragon!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

e: Update on last page.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Sidequests in 2020-II: Mass suicides and stopping a pandemic.

Sidequests in VFD: Enabling a group of stalkers and using time travel to make a video game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Junpei posted:

The part of me that always wants sequels to be newer and radder is annoyed that they just reused Sleepy Hollow.

The empathetic part of me that understands how hard game development can be and fights against crunch culture is fine with this.

Also 2020-II came out just two years before Imageepoch went bankrupt, so they were probably on a very limited budget even at this point.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Bath. As it was in the first game, Fabulous Fuel gives 300 SP and fills up the Exhaust Gauge to full, which is very nice, and cool.

No, hot. You can see the steam right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

RIP Venom Boost, something too bullshit even for 7D3 to keep in player hands.

e: Update on last page.