Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nadmonk posted:

Holy crap, y'all! The wheels finally shipped!
I was honestly about one day from cancelling them and buying a slightly more expensive set.

gently caress Yes you're finally getting the D. JFC what a shitshow.

E: lol what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I have finally gotten the D!

Not that I'll be driving it anytime soon, but at least I can get them mounted and on the truck, freeing up some barn space.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's a whole lotta D's

:lol: at the kitten blanket

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Suburban Dad posted:

:lol: at the kitten blanket

The cats may get the bench, but we can at least fight the good fight against the fur.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

A momentous day:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hell. Yes.

Kind of a bummer they didn't put the weights on the inside.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a fuckin good look.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
These are the perfect wheels for this truck, and all trucks.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hell. Yes.

Kind of a bummer they didn't put the weights on the inside.

The funny thing is there are weights on the inside of them as well.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Seat Safety Switch posted:

These are the perfect wheels for this truck, and all trucks.

I believe you are 100% correct on this.
And it only took them two months to get here!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

While it's relatively fresh and clean you should hit the weights with some black touch up paint. Lookin great!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hell, you could even hit the weights with a paint pen and get away with it I reckon.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Turbo Fondant posted:

Hell, you could even hit the weights with a paint pen and get away with it I reckon.

That is a really good idea, thank you!

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

With the snow melting and rain clearing the salt off the roads, I was planning on getting the steering aligned soon.
When I was cleaning out my tools from the cab and making sure it would start, I realized how much the steering wheel actually bugged me.

So I ordered a new one:

Still waiting on the horn cap retainer / switch kit for that steering wheel, but here it is with the cap it came with mocked up:

It looks so much better to me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
New wheel makes the cab look 10 times better!

...I should do this too

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Truck successfully started and moved out of the barn. When I have some free hours I'll get it in for an alignment, but other than that, for now, I think it's good to go for the summer. The new wheels and tires look great on it, not overkill and level ride height restored!

Other than the driver's side window regulator I think I should replace. Or at least look at. It rattles a lot and doesn't hold the window up very strongly at the top of travel.

Other things I'm thinking:
That rear bumper. It's not stock. Which isn't a huge deal, but it also very much doesn't look like it belongs, especially now that I've un-rat rodded it.

The current front bumper is stock and painted the same matte black as the rest of the truck.
I am kind of leaning towards refinishing it in light green. So the question then is: stock style front and rear, but painted white or chrome?

The front bumper is in good shape, but in the big scheme of things, the cost of buying a new one isn't a huge deal.
There will need to be some body work before it gets painted. Including new rocker panels, patching / filling of holes and dents, and fixing some of the underside of the cab supports that someone seems to have patched with fiberglass. Not looking for Pebble Beach condition or anything. Just not hole-y.

If I get bored before then, likely long pipe exhaust manifold.

So that begs another question:
Do I keep the current position of the pipes? Which is out either side ahead of the rear wheels.
Or do them straight out the back like Chevrolet intended?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

All pickup exhausts should dump ahead of the rear wheel(s). I would do chrome bumpers if you're planning on keeping the flat black, or white if you foresee a trip to Maaco in the next couple years.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Turbo Fondant posted:

All pickup exhausts should dump ahead of the rear wheel(s). I would do chrome bumpers if you're planning on keeping the flat black, or white if you foresee a trip to Maaco in the next couple years.

Oh, it is definitely getting repainted something other than flat black. It will most likely be something original or close to original.
The current paint job was basically the PO learning and while not terrible, there is a bit of body work that needs to be done and I don't think there's any way to match it (which doesn't really mater because I don't think I would want to keep the matte anyway).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
White for a work truck
Chrome for a lifestyle truck.

Personally? White/black on whatever body that isn't all black. I have an aversion to chrome.

Exhaust is very use case, I'd dump em at the bumper if its not used for towing trailers. Trailers? turn it down or route to the side.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is the bumper still chrome underneath the paint? if so, you might be able to strip the paint and polish it back up, if it was in ok shape before

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Needs farm truck running boards.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

Needs farm truck running boards.

is this redneck for side pipes

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Raluek posted:

is the bumper still chrome underneath the paint? if so, you might be able to strip the paint and polish it back up, if it was in ok shape before

I haven't gotten that adventurous yet. I suspect it isn't chrome, but rather just factory painted. The original body color was red.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Last bit of project completed: Steering alignment done.

I had a chance tonight to tear around some country roads a bit.
Between the new wheels, tires, ball joints, tie rods, new brakes, new bushings, new springs in the rear, and new shocks all around, it is no longer slightly terrifying to drive.

Still fun. :)

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Misfortune struck the 1988 4Runner Friday, I suspect a blown head gasket.
Started running very rough, likely only firing on 3 cylinders, started to take it home and then it started billowing white smoke before ultimately eating all of the coolant and deciding it wanted no more. Having to get a tow home when you're only a mile away feels defeating.

The engine was rebuilt by a previous, previous owner about 100k miles ago.

I don't have the timing chain cover fully off, but from what I can tell, it doesn't look like it has eaten its way into the coolant passages. The chain tensioners still look to have plenty of wear left in them as well.

Only about a pint or two of coolant was actually left in it, but it didn't seem to have oil mixed with it:

Spark plug from #4

Compared to #1

Taking it down bit by bit. Once I get the head off I'll assess what direction I want to go with it.

Have you ever seen such a clean engine?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I saw a motor pulled out of a searay that lived in saltwater today that was less crusty than that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Did the 22RE in my brother's celica a year ago. Thought it was a HG, turned out to be a couple cracks in the head. Def worth a close look.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Raluek posted:

Did the 22RE in my brother's celica a year ago. Thought it was a HG, turned out to be a couple cracks in the head. Def worth a close look.

The failure was so sudden, I'm really hoping it's a HG, but I'm getting it apart before I make any definitive decisions. I don't exactly live in an area replete with old 22REs kicking around, so finding one to swap would probably cost more and be more of a pain than a rusted out, 200K+ mile chassis is worth.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nadmonk posted:

The failure was so sudden, I'm really hoping it's a HG, but I'm getting it apart before I make any definitive decisions. I don't exactly live in an area replete with old 22REs kicking around, so finding one to swap would probably cost more and be more of a pain than a rusted out, 200K+ mile chassis is worth.

Turns out heads are pretty cheap on ebay

found this too. maybe they'll ship?

I am pleasantly surprised by how cheap loaded heads are for the 22RE.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Whoa sticky nads

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

yeah even the higher end places like yota1 and 22reperformance use the same chinese heads, they just do some extra QC and use better components (japanese valves etc). its really hard to go wrong, i think

unless your old stuff is still just fine, in which case send it

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

cursedshitbox posted:

Good to know. At this point I'd like to not have to replace the heads and get away with doing this relatively inexpensively. Save money for important things like painting the C10 and SBC long tube headers :getin:

I've been working on it over lunch the last few days, I'm basically at the point of getting the head off to actually see what I'm dealing with. I'll have some pictures up soon.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

After a few days of over lunch wrenching and breaks for snow, I finally have the head off.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I have found other things to repair if I find the engine worth fixing.

Holey hoses Batman!

Mmmmmm EGR

Why bother with proper caps, when a buttload of electrical tape works just as well?

Break to smell the flowers:

One of the exhaust manifold bolts:

If I had to bet money, I would say, not original.

Finally off.

I realize I don't have a proper gasket scraper. Might have to pick one up Saturday.
I'll get the head and block cleaned up, get a better look and check to see if they are nice and flat. But so far, it seems promising.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check the area of the gasket failure for flame polishing and erosion, you may need that shaved down.

E: I'm impressed a 22re made enough power to do that much damage.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

kastein posted:

Check the area of the gasket failure for flame polishing and erosion, you may need that shaved down.

E: I'm impressed a 22re made enough power to do that much damage.

It's that 1.00mm larger bore plus 268 cam. It's a beast.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Took a closer look at the head just now:
(don't worry, I wasn't using the knife to scrape off the old gasket material, just using it to point)
Cracks between the intake and exhaust on every single cylinder.

Well crap...

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I've assessed the deck. No cracks and as far as I can tell with my straight edges, it is flat along the length, width, and diagonally.

Based on that, my plan is order a new head, perform an EGR delete rather that deal with that again (there is no emissions testing in my state), and go with an MLS head gasket.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That head gasket is proper hosed. :stonkhat:

Sucks about the head being cracked, but at least they're pretty easy to come by.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 3, 2021

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

STR posted:

That head gasket is proper hosed. :stonkhat:

Sucks about the head being cracked, but at least they're pretty easy to come by.

I've got a new head and timing chain set coming. The timing chain looks to be fine now, but it also has 100k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You doing the fancy rear end dual row chain that tinal talked about or saying gently caress it, it won't last until a 4th chain?