Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit. Was gonna say D windows should be easy as hell to find, but all I can find in that bolt pattern, in stock, is Vision... with a honkin huge center cap. Everything else is Rough Country, showing in stock in March. Even eBay let me down.

Soft 8 knockoffs maybe? They're... softer looking than D windows, but close to the same look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That head gasket is proper hosed. :stonkhat:

Sucks about the head being cracked, but at least they're pretty easy to come by.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 3, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nadmonk posted:

I've got a new head and timing chain set coming. The timing chain looks to be fine now, but it also has 100k miles on it.

Yeah that's very much a "while it's apart" job once you're that deep into the engine, IMO. I'd still trust the chain if I wasn't already in there; the guides and timing cover, OTOH.....

Any evidence of the chain trying to drink coolant from the cover?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's when you do the fingernail test.

It definitely doesn't look new, but so long as it doesn't catch a nail, it's probably okay for now. The 22R family is pretty loving dependable too, you have to actively work to kill them (until the chain eats through the timing cover).

Those lobes do look pretty ugly, but if it's a high lift cam, that might be normal if the rest of the valvetrain is stock? I honestly have no clue though. I am quite literally a know-nothing on this, but I'd probably be looking for a new cam and rockers with that kind of wear, unless you just want to slam it back together and get a year or two out of it (kinda sounds like your plan anyway). You did mention this thing is a rust bucket, right? If that's the case, gently caress it, slam it back together and drive it until the frame snaps in half.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 5, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nadmonk posted:

His reasoning for wanting to sell it? He wanted something 'easier to work on'.

What did he buy as a replacement for the Element? A 2009 VW GTI.

:laffo:

The only remotely difficult mechanical job on the Element is probably the starter, and only bc it's cramped. You should suggest that he start looking at Mk2 turbo Supras, they're famous for being easy to work on (so famous that my old mechanic charges double his normal labor rate to touch them). Or maybe an early 80s turbo RX-7 with vacuum issues. Perhaps a mid 90s Cadillac Northstar - that 300hp in a boat is addicting when it runs

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 21, 2023