Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They really under-utilized ghost Deb. Carpenter and Hall play so well off each other, even after their real life divorce.

Should have had a ghost Doakes at the end, when Dexter was bleeding out. One last surprise, motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should make a new season where Harrison has a ghost Dexter nobody else sees, BUT ghost Dexter still has a ghost Deb following him around that Harrison can't see

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Senor Tron posted:

I love how apart from Hall this looks like a bunch of random fans decided to cosplay and make a fan production with him.

it's the one foot on the curb, he's already edging off the set

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JaddaCaddra posted:

Have you seen the one done by the guy that did the original series retrospective? It's a fitting follow up to that and sums up the season and its shortcomings nicely.

As someone who posted with you in both the final season thread and the SOA thread, I'm gonna say to you what I'd expect you to say to me if I hadn't bothered to watch this and you had: it isn't worth your time. This season wasn't as bad as the last few, but it also didn't really reach the show's level when it was good; at best, it's fairly middling. After some reflection, I've realized this season is what would happen if you mixed seasons 2-4 together, except an even lamer version of that. You've got someone finding out Dexter's secret and getting on his trail, Dexter wanting to share his secret with someone he feels a bond with, and an over the top villain that serves as a definite highlight because of the actor's performance, and all of those things sound great but the execution left a lot to be desired. I'll give it this, the idea of the ending was pretty good, but it felt so unearned. Its got my stamp of approval though, because at least it puts an end to anymore of it. I thought for sure they were gonna milk it for a few years.

So yeah, stick by your decision. Unless you feel really REALLY compelled to give it a watch and have nothing else to do, you can safely pass on this one. Though if you haven't already go look up the Deb wood chipper scene, because it's pretty funny at least.

Yeah, it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8rLOQQoGY

I have zero reason to watch this now. But I enjoyed the quick rundown.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dexter/comments/1hgckb/today_i_went_to_see_if_the_maria_laguerta/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That link wasn't clear if it was a bench made by the production or just a normal one, so I hit up Google Maps and definitely real:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No way. It looks like styrofoam. :aaa:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also christ almighty it's weird clicking through photos of areas in California like this one, feels uncannily like Australia.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Now I'm watching a rundown/review of the new season.

I always wonder who those videos are for... Not the review part, giving thoughts and critiques, no, the 'I'm just going to quickly rehash everything in 30 minutes' videos.

It's me. They're for me. In this specific case.

I do this for show that I stopped watching but am still curious about. Like The Walking Dead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

That link wasn't clear if it was a bench made by the production or just a normal one, so I hit up Google Maps and definitely real:

The one to the right is Mike Anderson, the one to the right of that is the dude Deb got killed on top of the downtown building, the one to the right of that is Lundy ...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

I do this for show that I stopped watching but am still curious about. Like The Walking Dead.

Yeah, exactly. In this case, I was curious, sure, but not 10-ish hours curious.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I actually think they could have used the original 12 episode format this year. The ending felt rushed, as many have said. Clancy Brown deserved a better backstory. The plotholes were glaringly obvious, as they were even in the best seasons of Dexter (1 and 4). I would put this as the 3rd best season, however. And getting a real ending was nice. Anything but the Lumberjack Song.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like the ending really took a poo poo on the good will built up by being relatively decent for most of the season. Like I feel completely divested of the show now, having been a big fan, as if I'd just brought it out into a storm and dumped it in the ocean

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

codo27 posted:

I feel like the ending really took a poo poo on the good will built up by being relatively decent for most of the season. Like I feel completely divested of the show now, having been a big fan, as if I'd just brought it out into a storm and dumped it in the ocean

Which part(s)?
I was disappointed by the Angel/Dexter blueballing. The handling of Logan's demise. The way Harrison was sent away when he should have stayed and been a town hero. The pacing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

escape artist posted:

I actually think they could have used the original 12 episode format this year. The ending felt rushed, as many have said. Clancy Brown deserved a better backstory. The plotholes were glaringly obvious, as they were even in the best seasons of Dexter (1 and 4). I would put this as the 3rd best season, however. And getting a real ending was nice. Anything but the Lumberjack Song.

Clancy Brown seems like the biggest waste of the season, to me. When I first heard he was the villain, I thought, "Oh gently caress, he can be terrifying," and had flashes of Lithgow as Trinity. And then what we got was kind of nothing? His character is clearly obsessed with his first kill, and is recreating it over and over again. But most of what we actually saw was just a faux nice man who then shot people from far away. Like, obviously not someone I'd want to run into, but nothing close to what I was expecting out of Clancy Brown playing a serial killer.

Yeah, he taxidermied his victims, but we didn't even really see that. Really we just saw kind of a lame hunter. Of course Dexter took him out easily. And I get that he wasn't really the point of the season. But then anyone could have played him. A waste of Brown.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, yeah! That is what felt off about Clancy Brown this season. Thanks, that had actually been nagging at me for a bit after the finale went down.

Like, the actual times we saw him try to kill someone were his first kill, green-haired chick, and Harrison. Green-haired chick got killed in the end, but she also completely hosed up his ritual and caused him to lose his poo poo, and he casually apologized to Harrison and then got clowned on by Dexter. The first kill was cool, but that was because it was a shot of Young Kurt freaking the gently caress out while Clancy Brown calmly narrated it with a complete lie.

We never got to see him go fully mask-off or how he deals with a victim when he is actually in charge of the situation. Like why did podcast lady only exist to vaguely point Angela at the Bay Harbor Butcher case and then get fridged? That's another waste of a good actor. Just two scenes of her finding Kurt's basement lab and getting locked in there and then being taunted by him over webcam before "escaping" and getting a bullet to the back would have been a massive improvement on both characters.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
TBH the first time I saw the Clancy Brown kill and blood draining I thought they were going for a Thiel-like youthful blood infusion thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, yeah! That is what felt off about Clancy Brown this season. Thanks, that had actually been nagging at me for a bit after the finale went down.

Like, the actual times we saw him try to kill someone were his first kill, green-haired chick, and Harrison. Green-haired chick got killed in the end, but she also completely hosed up his ritual and caused him to lose his poo poo, and he casually apologized to Harrison and then got clowned on by Dexter. The first kill was cool, but that was because it was a shot of Young Kurt freaking the gently caress out while Clancy Brown calmly narrated it with a complete lie.

We never got to see him go fully mask-off or how he deals with a victim when he is actually in charge of the situation. Like why did podcast lady only exist to vaguely point Angela at the Bay Harbor Butcher case and then get fridged? That's another waste of a good actor. Just two scenes of her finding Kurt's basement lab and getting locked in there and then being taunted by him over webcam before "escaping" and getting a bullet to the back would have been a massive improvement on both characters.

Yes, exactly. Another couple episodes would have done this season a lot of good, I think. What's weird is that the show was moving at a decent speed. It wasn't great, but it was alright, working towards something. And then the last couple of episodes were in, "Wrap it up!" mode. Was the episode count cut short at the last minute, or something?

Like, what happened to the billionaire? I originally thought they were working towards some sort of "the rich hunt people" club plot, with Clancy Brown being who finds the prey, but nope, billionaire is gone without a word, and Brown just shoots people with a laser sight from far away, and now he's dead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Billionaire was a red herring, but also convenient for Angie to call on when she needs the chopper to look for Matt. He's just the local comic book villain.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

a club of rich people hunters would've been something, but that's an extension way beyond what they were doing with the season. i think there was a synopsis for the finale which said 'harrison and dexter try to have a normal life in a town that is anything but' or something like that, and with the 'blow up the internet' stuff i thought it might be some kind of crazy conspiracy reveal at the end.

kurt wasn't a good villain, he just had a good actor playing him. his M.O. doesn't really connect up - he saw his dad beat up and maybe kill women as a child, so he decides to shoot one who tries to flee town, becomes obsessed with this, and then also taxidermies their bodies and it's all got something to do with saving/preserving his image of innocent young women or something. it just feels thrown together. i mean it sounds all right from a distance, but there's nothing juicy there, it's just boilerplate serial killer elements cobbled together.

that's why i was expecting some higher level of villainy to be revealed, because the billionaire as his superior in some kind of killer cult would have explained why kurt's motivations seemed so slap dash and his methods so disconnected - because he wasn't doing it just for himself. would have maybe explained he and his son's apparent wealth despite the fact he basically just ran a truck stop in a small town.

i wouldn't be surprised if they were actually writing towards this rich people hunter scenario and then halfway through went, ah gently caress it, kurt did it all alone and dexter dies.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just a little tic, but he's not taxidermying them, he's embalming them. Taxidermy usually means removal of the skin to be placed over a foam mold and removal of the organs. He left them intact and loaded them with preservatives like they're twinkies waiting for the apocalypse.

E: And small town truck stops make good money, Kurt's wealth seems equivalent to a small business tyrant.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 28, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah i'm sure a guy like kurt would make good money but with his son being big time rich and kurt having a crazy underground installation like that, i just mean that it all feels like it's naturally set up to reveal he's got some other kind of backing/funding.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I raised the cost of that container setup before, noted the fact that someone out there would have to know it's there. It's right off a paved road, someone would have seen or partaken in excavation, watched the trucks deliver the shipping containers, it's a several month job to do that safely.

But it's the Dexterverse and apparently everyone just nods along. There are bigger problems with the story, it's easier to accept a million dollar murder bunker than question it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See thats why he drained the blood, he just dug a little hole in the ground, poured the blood into it and it grew into the murder chamber over time

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ah, the old breakfast cereal box inflating bunker surprise.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
"Don't mind me, I'm farming shipping containers."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They established that the bunker is "off the grid", and it may have been there for at least 30 years.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just don't buy it. Even Kurt's cabin was off Angie's radar. Right next to a paved road. When Dexter followed Kurt and Molly there, then told Angie about it later she was dumbfounded that it existed, in a place she supposedly knows like the back of her hand.

Someone has to plow and salt that road, and would see the cabin every time they drive by. If it's the only thing out there, it would be a local landmark ("turn left a mile after the Caldwell cabin" type poo poo).

But again, Dexterverse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Angela is not a very good cop; that she didn't know there was a cabin there does not preclude the cabin being common knowledge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Honestly, props to Julia Jones for playing an incompetent cop so drat well that we're still talking about Angela's incompetence like it was the main plot point. Police incompetence has always been a theme in Dexter, but it was on full display this whole series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Yeah just take a left up there at Jimmy's bar and grill"
"How did I not know this restaurant was here this whole time?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Honestly, props to Julia Jones for playing an incompetent cop so drat well that we're still talking about Angela's incompetence like it was the main plot point. Police incompetence has always been a theme in Dexter, but it was on full display this whole series.

She figured out Dexter was a serial killer in one season, and didn't die. She's the most competent police officer the show has ever seen.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I just don't buy it. Even Kurt's cabin was off Angie's radar. Right next to a paved road. When Dexter followed Kurt and Molly there, then told Angie about it later she was dumbfounded that it existed, in a place she supposedly knows like the back of her hand.

Someone has to plow and salt that road, and would see the cabin every time they drive by. If it's the only thing out there, it would be a local landmark ("turn left a mile after the Caldwell cabin" type poo poo).

But again, Dexterverse.

Should we investigate Kurt's secret property to see if there is evidence against his take that his dad actually killed iris?

Nah, my boyfriend lied to me and I am allllll up in that poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Angela "didn't know" about the cabin property when Kurt was in her holding cell.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm not a cop but I've google mapped my small town a few times and now I know where all the secret cabins are.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They aren't secret unless there's no building permits.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But again, Dexterverse.

Growing up in a very rural area, you'd be surprised at how this could work. A "paved road" in no way means it was paved by the city or maintained by the city. The rich folk in my hometown had their private drives paved when everything else was still dirt and no one really knew what all was on the property deep in the woods. Sheriff definitely didn't go down them without an invitation or a warrant.

I do agree they couldn't have gotten the bunker built without someone knowing, but a paved road and a small cabin are very believable. Kurt owned a trucking business, so it's not like he couldn't plow his own road.

It's also not like people just randomly trawl through property and permit records.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I grew up in a rural area too. And live in a completely different rural area now. Everyone knows everyone else's poo poo, even if they don't know the specific people that well. They did a decent job portraying that when half the town shows up at Dexter's cabin to look for Matt, and again when Kurt torches the cabin.

I'll grant some flexibility for it being a wooded area, the rural areas I live/lived in are flat with few trees. But paving roads is always a sign there are houses nearby to me. Roads with even minimal traffic were tarred and chipped where I grew up, they're just carved out of the sand where I am now. Paving is a big expense, no matter who is paying.

And there's almost always some retiree that feels like they need to know what's going on with legalese poo poo, so they can have something to gossip about. The kind of people who go to zoning variance meetings. They don't just exist in the suburb HOAs. They're universal. They require useless information to continue to exist.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My in laws have hunting property where you have to travel a mile down a dirt road until you reach the hunting cabin, which is completely off the grid with batteries that are charged with a generator and rain water to run the sink and toilet. Like, nobody has any reason to go down that road ever. Police are not going to just go down the road and check things out either. They would have had the road paved, but it would cost a poo poo ton of money to do it and it's not worth it.

I don't think it's that far fetched that the rich dude could own several acres of property and have a paved road. It doesn't break my immersion of the show.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone has to plow and salt that road, and would see the cabin every time they drive by.

But again, Dexterverse.

That's not how it works when you live in the middle of nowhere. You own a truck with a plow attachment or you are screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But again, Dexterverse.

I just took it as a long paved private way. The show has him have a guy willing to kill for him. Knowing a guy who paves seems pretty basic and Kurt seems like the kind of guy who’d own a plow.