Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am v happy this thread exists

in fact I am going to sticky it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

At the very least, Clyde Phillips is returning to run this shitshow so we can at least expect Dexter to finally die at the end.

hopefully.

Also, in honour of Dexter coming back I am welcoming any and all submissions for gang tags, because I think the show and impact its threads had on TVIV is quite substantial!!

If anyone else thinks so and has some ideas let's do this poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season three had to follow season two, which was perfect. Then season four came and had much higher highs than three.

Three isn't bad or anything, it's just a little boring.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so now we have to decide on the MOST SA-Dexter 'thing'. Could be Chicky Hines. Could be Salad Cutting.

Could be the treadmill.

Also, I gotta say, I've been in threads before where gang tags are seemingly given away, even at request, and have never got one.

I feel like this is finally my time. :ohdear: I mean, I already have a related custom title, thanks to a previous thread.

Yeah, I was thinking those as well, or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_oM6U_dwfM

Honestly any of Deb's overly long, overly inventive curses would be a p good candidate.

Chicky Hines is def one of the first things I think of when I think of TVIV and Dexter tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mods pls change my name to pardon my tits

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Declan MacManus posted:

i think it should be a looping gif of laguerta circling SUV thanks i’ll take my answer off the air

dat black suv

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gang tag should be the entire Masuka explaining the crime scene gif.

omg

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dex meticulously laying out tarps and pictures of other trees and saplings before he fells his next target

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Slamhound posted:

Getting increasingly frustrated that they won’t sink when he drops them overboard.

lmfao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

croup coughfield posted:

what could it mean

I like to imagine Clyde Phillips has been seething over how badly Dexter ended for years now.

It makes me feel better for also seething about it for longer than I should have.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He just salted b/c his ideal ending for the show was, like, Dexter on the table about to be injected for the death sentence or w/e and then all of his victims would appear before him or some poo poo to be like lol gently caress u nerd as he drifts off into sweet sweet death

And then Scott Buck made him a lumberjack

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Y'all it's going to be serial killer Astrid.

ah a return to the source material

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Riptor posted:

https://youtu.be/6bSteh4nHEo

did anyone post this, if so gently caress you just watch it again

if i could make a video a thread title

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lumberjack Deb spinoff when tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Chicky Hines was the friends we made along the way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

AbstractNapper posted:

Ok, hear me out.

Bring back Dexter, but in the Pushing Daisies universe.

Dexter as the big bad while Ned is reviving people left and right to solve the case would delight me far too much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Do we know when this is supposed to air? I can't imagine any earlier than 2022.

plenty of time for a goon dexter rewatch

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Man it sure does look a lot like Vancouver here in Miami for some reason."

bonus points if the characters take a trip to Vancouver at some point to poke fun at the fact they've been in Vancouver all along, ala The L Word

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The showrunner who did the last handful of seasons deadass thought Dexter was a superhero

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope Harrison will be both the reason Dexter returns to Miami and the person who snitches on him to get him caught finally

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And then the person he has to kiiiiiiiiiiill :black101:

Dexter putting up pictures of the treadmill to goad Harrison before stabbing him

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Human Tornada posted:

They started the show off fairly disciplined, letting you know that Dexter is not a vigilante and he doesn't kill bad people because of some moral compass. He kills to get his rocks off and he chooses bad people because that's the easiest way to keep getting away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the writer's room even noticed Dexter sliding into anti-hero territory and becoming "cool" until it was too late, and it's what broke the show, in my opinion.

Compare to Breaking Bad, for example, which gave Walter White plenty of badass "hero" moments but never lost sight of the fact that WW was a selfish, monstrous person. Not only did this maintain the integrity of the show, it gave us new and exciting plot developments that Dexter never could, because Dexter couldn't reconcile our image of Dexter the cool vigilante with the reality of the show, so we got season after season of treading water.

It was the showrunner switch imho. Phillips was very aware of what Dexter was and how his story should end. Scott Buck is the one who came in with a hard on for Dex and thinking he was some superhero.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't seen The Shield, but generally speaking sometimes doing bad things can still result in 'good', and portraying that as well as condemning those terrible actions are not mutually exclusive. So you can have a lovely protagonist whose methods we should not be agreeing with still doing things that end in a 'right' or w/e conclusion.

e: that said wasn't Kurt Sutter one of the showrunners on The Shield? I am not at all surprised if the show veers into fully siding with Mackey being a horrible garbage twat from time to time lmao

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 6, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's always been on my list. There's just too much drat television to watch!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Der Shovel posted:

Turns out the Lumen season was the last I saw when the show was airing, so I'm in unwatched territory now.

Season 6 speculation but I'm spoilering it anyway.

I quite like Brother Sam (so he's almost definitely going to turn out to be I dunno, reincarnated Hitler or something). I'm pretty sure Harrison's young nanny is Munchausen by Proxying Harrison. The whole "two insane serial killers Rube Goldberging loving Saw death machines in public places" thing is stretching what little credibility remained in this show.

And apparently it gets even dumber from here?

Bless you pls continue to trip report

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I feel like if you click on this thread you have either watched all of Dexter or expect to see spoilers. No need to tag anything for the previous seasons of the show.

e: wow what a shameful snipe someone post treadmill.gif I am on my phone

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

it turns out the dark passenger was the friends we made along the way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spacebump posted:

All I want out of the new season is a scene where everyone in a restaurant does this.

Hell, same.

In fact I may just have to eat a salad with a knife and fork while watching the premiere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All of Head Deb's advice will be given while sitting on the Laguerta bench. It's like poetry since Deb killed her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Poque posted:

I really need there to be Head Deb just swearing constantly at Head Dad in the background at all times

same

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Poque posted:

Ghost LaGuerta arrests Ghost Harry for Ghost Crimes

But she does it as a bench

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Argue posted:

Dexter Megathread from SomethingAwful dot Com

I smell a new thread title.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gang tag potential

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

It's already been announced that Carpenter is part of the new season.

yesssss

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

Dexter: Oh no, Deb, another ghost of my past come back to haunt me

Ghost Deb: (Long string of compound expletives)

This is all I have wanted from this new season, and they best deliver.

In fact Ghost Deb should not be there to function as any kind of inner monologue for Dexter at all. She should just be there to swear creatively in the background.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have some fairly high? or I guess normal hopes for this season, since Phillips returned to helm this one. The hopes are only high when you consider how low the bar is for a season of Dexter after it ended.

Trailer looks good imo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dexter's girlfriends were all blonde other than the gross English titty vampire, tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the worst thing this season could be is competent / unremarkable. I hope it's either s8 bad or actually good.

honestly :same:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JaddaCaddra posted:

Honestly, this is one of the most disappointing things about the show. There were never repercussions or long lasting effects. The status quo would look like it was going to be changed for an episode or two before reverting back to how it was, or as close to it as it could be. Anytime it killed off a major character it would just be like they never existed. You can probably count the amount of times Rita and Doakes were mentioned after their deaths on one hand.

And I've bitched about it before but I'm just gonna say it again, one of the suckiest things about this show is how there was never any moral ambiguity in Dexter's victims. They were always lovely one note villains who had no loved ones and if they did treated them awful. You could have got some amazing plots out of the aftermath of some of Dexter's kills. He did kill some people who didn't fit his usual MO, but every single time, there'd be something that would make Dexter basically say "Oh, so it was okay I killed them then." And even that could've been a neat character development thing, to show that Dexter doesn't care who he kills as long as he scratches his itch, but it wasn't addressed that way; it was nothing more than the writers dusting their hands off and saying "Whelp, we solved that problem, I'm done for the day."

For what it's worth, the entirety of season 5 was about Dexter accepting Rita's death.

After that tho they never really remember she ever existed lmfao

e: also ^ yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC, someone who read the books said in this thread that in the books, Deb knows Dexter's secret pretty early on and uses him as a personal hitman

I think she finds out when he saves her from the Ice Truck Killer? Or very soon after anyway. Then she helps cover for him or smth

Also one or both of Rita's kids have a dark passenger lmfao