Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

malkav11 posted:

Yes, food is really critical. And we don't have Arev, who can generate it with his ability.

Speaking of, since the food counter is a d6, I assume we have a max reserve of 6 ? Can we gain d6s ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Kobal2 posted:

Speaking of, since the food counter is a d6, I assume we have a max reserve of 6 ? Can we gain d6s ?
That's actually just a visual aid I'm using on TTS; in the original BG, resources are marked with small red cubes (or small purple cubes to indicate a value of 5). If we go overboard in a resource I may add a larger die or more d6; I doubt we'll need more than a couple, though :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's quite possible to run out of space on your character sheets, even with five point cubes. But...not anytime soon.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Actually you people convinced me, switching from C to A. Some easier encounters to stockpile food and grab some xp while exploring.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C, trust our reserves for a day.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

It's a brand new day! Let's have a look at what happens when a new dawn rises.

Start of the Day posted:

1) Remove expired Menhirs: A Menhir that is already at "0 days left" on its duration at the beginning of the Day becomes inactive and goes dark. It is removed from the Table. This causes the land around it to be reclaimed by the wyrdness; in case there was any doubt, this is Bad for us:
- We have to remove from the map any Locations that are no longer in range of an Active Menhir - an Active Menhir reveals the 8 Locations that are either cardinally or orthogonally connected to it. We are allowed to put the Locations back if we manage to rekindle a Menhir that is in range of that Location;
- All Characters present on any removed Location card immediately lose 2 , gain 2 and are moved to the nearest remaining Location card (if there are several Locations the same distance away, choose the lowest-numbered one). This is not a Travel Action.
- If the last Menhir on the map goes out, we do not remove the last remaining Location cards. We may continue to play in these Locations, but each Character loses 2 and gains 2 at each Start of the Day - until they die or activate one of the Menhirs.
2) Reduce Active Menhir(s) duration: At the beginning of a new day, the flame in each rekindled Menhir gets a bit weaker. We lower the Menhir duration by 1, to a minimum of 0 days left.
3) Reduce Time counters (Dials): certain events will ask us to start a "timer" to keep track of the passage of time; each day, these trackers go down by 1. NOTE: these counters are remove when, at the beginning of a new day, they are set to 1 (instead of 0 like the Menhirs).
4) Reveal and read a new Event Card: we then draw a card from the Event/Chapter deck. Most events will stay in play only for the day they are drawn in; Quest Events, instead, remain active until the relevant Quest has been resolved.
5) Choose Equipment: this is where we decide who equips what, if we have multiple items with the same Keyword. We cannot equip new items during the rest of the day!
- We don't have any Expired Menhirs, but there is an Active one in Cuanacth, so we reduce its duration by 1 (6 days left).
- There are are no Time counters active at the moment so we skip Step 3.
- We then draw a new Event card:

We now know what happens when a Menhir goes dark, and it looks like these people have had to experience it first person. We don't have any Wealth, but we can decide to give them some Food, if we want to. We'll vote on this at the end of the update.
From time to time numbered Chapter Event cards (like Chapter 1-2) are going to ask us to add a certain number of Random Events to the Events deck. These events could be good or bad and are not advancing the Story; this means that right now we have up to 3 days (5 -2 characters) of "time passes" Events before we trigger Chapter 1-3. Please note that, by completing our current Active Quest, we would "skip" to Chapter 1-5 instead (and follow the text on that card).
- Finally, we equip the Adventuring Gear we have bummed from received from the townsfolk. I've temporarily assigned it to Ailei, but we have all the time to move it to Maggot, if you prefer, before its effects become relevant.

Expedition Log posted:

Tasks: None!
Active Menhirs: Cuanacth Farmhold (101), 6 days left.

We have decided to go North, to 102. Like in many Rogue-lites/likes Food is a primary concern. In Tainted Grail it's quite possible to enter a death spiral if we ever run out of it, due to the lack of Energy causing us to have very short days - days that we are spending trying to fill our pantry with delicious boar instead of following our Quest or rekindling Menhirs.

Travel posted:

We are Travelling to Location 102. Each party member spends 1 Energy (left: 7 both).
New Locations revealed::
- Fore-Dweller Mounds (106) and Whitening (107)

The familiar icon means that both Locations contain a Menhir! They are both inactive, of course, but we may be able to rekindle them once we discover the secret Menhir Rites - whenever we visit one of these locations, we can learn for free what we'll need to rekindle their Menhirs. Whitening has a new icon though: the red village icon means that this place is not welcoming to the outsiders. We'll need to resolve a Diplocy Encounter first thing first when we enter that Location. A quick reminder for all 4 symbols we can find under each Location's name:

With that in mind, it's time to activate the Location Action. Ailei is probably goint to be more of an hindrance than an help, right now, so we send in Maggot alone. Maggot spends 2 , receives 2 Food and draws a Green Encounter! Encounters are color coded based on the type of threat we are going to face:
- The Green deck is mostly used in the wild and contains natural threats such as wild animals or legendary beasts. Many of these Encounters grant Food when defeated.
- The Gray deck contains dangers related to the world of men, such as brigands, rogue knights, or people driven to insanity. Many of these Encounters grant Items or Wealth when defeated.
- The Purple deck contains mysterious and supernatural threats. We will have to discover its significance ourselves.
- The Blue deck is a special, non-combat deck - it is used for Diplomacy, mostly when we visit an unfriendly Settlement and it contains dangerous situations, as well as personal and diplomatic challenges.

Cards in each of these decks are divided into four difficulty levels, making the game harder as it progresses. We should be able to win Level 1 Encounters, at the moment, but we may need to get some Items (mostly weapons and armor...turns out they make a difference when fighting stuff) if we want to avoid unnecessary danger - a phyrric victory is often a quick path to a swift demise. We will probably try to bravely run away away from anything Level 2, though.

Since this is our first game, though, each of the 4 decks has a "baby's first Encounter" card on top of it, so we should be safe enough with this one.

Combat rules posted:

Combat in Tainted Grail is a turn-based confrontation between a Character (or a Party of Characters) and an enemy, represented by the Encounter card. Together, Characters build a long line (Sequence) of cards, with the aim of gaining enough markers in the Combat Pool to defeat the Encounter. These markers represent the total progress Characters make against their opponent, such as their tactical advantage, wounds they cause, and the opponent’s exhaustion.
To simulate the ebb and flow of Combat, enemies are often on the lookout at first, but become more dangerous as the encounter progresses; some may attempt to Flee if they feel they are in mortal danger.

The main Combat Sequence is as follows:
1) All characters involved in a Combat draw 3 cards from their Combat deck - a character's starting deck contains 15 basic cards and is different from the others. It is possible to take a Mulligan by discarding the initial hand; you can repeat this, but each one reduces your hand by 1, so a starting character can only take up to 2 Mulligans.
2) The Active character (if there are multiple ones involve in the Combat) plays 1+ cards, as allowed by the rules. We check to see if the Encounter has been won, otherwise we proceed to step 3.
3) The Enemy makes an attack against the Active character.
4) Repeat Step 2 and 3 for the other character(s) if any, then go to step 5.
5) Each character discards down to 3 cards, then draws 1 card.
The basic concept for Combat is to try an create a sequence of Cards by matching symbols on their sides, to gain some progress, represented by red markers , without getting slapped around too much. But we can't gently caress around too much: if we are forced to draw from an empty deck, we immediately lose the Combat. The full mechanics for this part of the game are deceptively complex and I usually find out that it's easier to explain them step by step when they become relevant, instead of going full on from the beginning. The enemies marked as "Your first Encounter" also have some text on their cards to help us navigate the Combat system. Without further ado, let's Draw out First Green Encounter and prepare to rumble.

A Rat-thing! posted:

At a glance:
- We need to gain 4 to win the Encounter.
- On its turn, the Mist-Shaped Vermin is going deal 1 Damage to us (if the current count is between 0 and 2); or it's going to remove one of our from the Combat pool if the count is 3.
- If we don't play any card during our turn or if we want to escape, the enemy is going to perform an Opportunity attack. In this case, the Vermin is as brave as us, and if we try to run away (or if we don't attack it) it'll simply escape as well, denying us his delicious Loot.
- Mmm, loot. If we manage to win, we'll receive 1 Food. Mystery meat!
- On the right side, there are some Attribute keys that we'll use to try to build our Combat Sequence. I'll explain those below.

Let's have a look at one of our Combat cards:

On the left side, there are 2 rows of keys. Our goal is to match a key on the left row with one on the same "line" on the previous card (the monster card or another card we've played previously in the Sequence). The right row of keys opens up some connectors for the next card we'll play in the Sequence.
- At the top, we have 3 orange keys with the Combat attributes: Aggression, Courage and Practicality. If we manage line up the left one with one matching the same attribute in the previous card in the Sequence, we get the effect shown in the black box. NOTE: These keys can be present or absent from cards, or they can require 2 points in an Attribute to allow a match (the Attribute symbol will be doubled in the key if that's the case).
- Below that, there is a Blue key: that's Magic. To activate the connection and get the bonus in the box, we need to spend 1 point of Magic from our reserves. This key is present on most cards, but is missing from some.
- At the bottom, the Yellow key is the Bonus. This key is always present and.
The first card we play each round is "free" - we don't need to pair Attribute or Magic keys to be able to play it (we simply don't get any effect, Bonus aside, in that case). Following cards need instead to connect to at least one of the Orange or Blue keys, and they also need to have a symbol in a key we're connecting.

Finally, our Combat Cards have an additional effect if they are the Last card of the Sequence: if that's the case, we resolve the effect in the center of the card whenever it is triggered. I'll explain the rest as we encounter it, but you can also have a look at this Reference Cards if you are curious:

As I mentioned before, this sound deceptively complex, but it's quite straightforward when played out. So, without further ado, let's face the furry menace. We start by Drawing our hand (3 cards):

Looking at our options, I can see we can win the combat on the next Round with the cards we have at the moment and without losing any health; we will have to spend 1 Magic to do so, though.

I play Hex and I connect the Blue key by spending 1 point of Magic. If we had 1 point of Practicality (snake head) we would immediately draw 1 card, but since Maggot is lacking that attribute, the key does nothing even if we have connected it. The bonus in the last row nets us an additional , for a total of (2 from the Magic key, 1 from the Bonus key).
We are not going to play another card right now: we can't connect distraction, since we are lacking Practicality; and we don't want to spend 1 more Magic to connect War Magic since we're going to win on the next Round anyway.

The bonus for Hex would allow us to immediately gain an additional on Placement, winning the Encounter, if we were fighting an Encounter Value 4 Purple creature, but since this is Green, we don't get the bonus.

At this point, the enemy attacks us! Since our current Combat Value is 3, the Vermin removes 1 from the Pool; if we had only had 1 to 2 , it would have dealt 1 Damage to us instead.

We have less than 3 cards in our hand, so we don't have to discard any. Instead, we draw 1 bringing us back to our hand limit. Defense is a nice basic card if we want to take our time (and we don't have armor/shields to prevent damage), but I had hoped to draw a card with a in the Bonus box to avoid having to play War Magic; but since we were unlucky, I play that instead.

Since this is the first card we're playing this Round, we don't need to connect any Attribute or Magic key to be able to play it. We score 2 more from the Bonus Key and we now have enough to win the Encounter before the enemy gets to retaliate. Unfortunately, War Magic has a "On Placement" ability that forces us to gain 1 (current: 2). If this was the last card in our Sequence, we would have gained 2 at the start of the next turn (Hourglass symbol), but since the combat is over, we only get the drawback.

Anyway, we have won! On top of the 2 Food we got from activating the Location Action, we got 1 more Food from defeating the Vermin. I'm sure it has some kind of lunchbox with it, and we are not going to feast on mutated rat meat. Anyhoo, we can freely trade Food, Wealth, Items and Secrets between characters in the same Location, and we distribute the Food so that both Ailei and Maggot have 6 Food (minus whatever we have decided to spare for the refugees). Time to have a look around.

Exploration: Hunters' Grove (102) posted:

Ailei spends 1 (current:6).

Intro:

As funny as it would be to randomly deface a Shrine, we don't have the required Status to do so. We could steal some of the offerings, though. But first, since we don't have the Tracker Status, we are forced to go to Verse 3.
Verse 3:

If Lone Wolf has taught Goons anything is to always go left, never go near water and always vote Y to a "do you want to go on an adventure" choice (jokes aside, I will stop the update and ask the thread to vote if I think the thread should take ownership of the consequences of a decision).
Verse 5:

Decisions like this one, for example. In case it wasn't clear, 1 additional per Action is a massive penalty. The Dial/Time Counter is stuck with Ailei, since she was the one exploring and we cannot trade Dials/Counters unless specified; the manual doesn't mention anything about splitting Travel cost (cause they normally are 1 per Character), but I'd say it makes sense in this case to allow Maggot to pay part of the cost - as long as Ailei pays at least 1 point - to indicate that he, too, is helping with the dead weight. Even this way, we have the reamainder of the Today and tomorrow to find the Island Asylum and Explore it with doubled costs. Or...we could just ditch her on the side of the Road.

:siren::siren::siren:
VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1) Refugees: vote A if you want both Ailei and Maggot to give them 1 Food to receive Rep&Exp. Vote B if you want only one character to do so (please specify whom). Vote C to let them starve.
2) Bowmaiden: vote A if you want to attempt to help her or vote B if you want to say "sorry" and move on.
3) Delicious offerings? Vote A if you want us to dig into the offerings on the altar (and please specify who should do the pilfering) or B to leave them be. This will cost 1 for Maggot or Ailei if we ditch the bowmaiden; or 2 for Ailei if she is carring the bowmaiden with her. we cannot interact with the altar before encountering the Bowmaiden choice, and if we interrupt that chain of events we are not going to be able to go back to it, so we can't change the sequence of events to lower the cost.
4) Travel direction: This is going to be more of a free vote, especially since we are not exactly sure where this Asylum Island is. EDIT: also feel free to suggest if you want the party to split up; this is a tactical decision with positive and negative consequences (cover more ground, but do so alone), so it's not automatically right nor wrong. If we are NOT carrying the Bowmaiden with us, I'll follow the usual travel rules and explore/interact with the Locations we visit; if we she is with us, instead, I'll try to hurry towards the destination without any additional interaction unless the thread demands otherwise (we currently have 4 and 3 effective on Ailei and Maggot respectively, or two more each if we are OK with become Exhausted). If you want me to attempt specific interactions on the way, please specify what!
4a) Plan Kobal2: Go west, stick to the plan, get to them mounds that look decidedly mist-covered. We'll even have time to treasure hunt/recharge magic!
4b) Plan TravelLog: Ailei to 106 and Maggot (with the Bowmaiden) to 107. The event card says the asylum is "off the coast to the south" so I guess we can have Aielle loop back down to the left and Maggot do the same on the right, ultimately meeting back up in Cuanacht. The Charred Conclave also sounds magical (perhaps charred because magic went wrong?) so I want Maggot to go there.
5) Double Dip: thanks to the magic of asynchronous play, we can play "what if" scenarios. In this case, we could have used the Location Action in Cuanacth again before leaving (since it refreshes at the start of a new Day). Vote A to have someone do some chores (and please specify whom) or B to save some extra .

NOTE: feel free to add simple conditions to your votes (like "Vote 5A if we abandon the Bowmaiden, 5B if we decide to help her).
We currently are in Location 102.

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 20, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Not familiar with this game, but the combat reference card says Opportunist triggers if you don’t play 2 or more combat cards in Step 2, so wouldn’t the rat run away before you killed it given that you only played 1 card?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Narsham posted:

Not familiar with this game, but the combat reference card says Opportunist triggers if you don’t play 2 or more combat cards in Step 2, so wouldn’t the rat run away before you killed it given that you only played 1 card?

The rat isn't an Opportunist though. All* combat enemies have opportunity attacks, only some are Opportunists.

*I assume

Soooo, where the gently caress is the Island Asylum and should we bother?

1) A - we're loaded.
2) Pending.
3) B - nope nope nope. Not risking the local priesthood's wrath.
4) Pending
5) Pending. We kinda need energy if we decide to carry the load around.

E: how bad an idea is splitting the party?
Maggot could move to 104 in order to scout 109. If the Asylum is there, Ailei joins up and we go there next day, otherwise Ailei moves to 108 while Maggot joins back up with her.
E2: am I missing something or does Maggot not care about exhausting, at the moment? He isn't recovering more than 4 energy per turn anyways.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 20, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Narsham posted:

As mentioned by Omobono, the "Opportunist" enemy Trait forces us to play 2 cards (instead of 1) to avoid the Opportunity Attack. Some enemies have additional Traits, like Opportunist, but the Rat was just a tutorial fight, so it had none. I'll explain these mechanics more in depth once we face enemies that have one of these Traits.

Omobono posted:

Soooo, where the gently caress is the Island Asylum and should we bother?
We don't know for sure. We do have a map that may or may not be accurate, though. "No comment" on the second part of the question :iiam:

Omobono posted:

E: how bad an idea is splitting the party?
It's a tactical decision. Splitting the party allows us to cover more ground, but forces us to Explore with a specific Character and we will be unable to pool resources or face enemies as a Party. You can definitely vote for it, I'll add a note for this under option 4.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 20, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Edit: Nevermind, missed it. But yeah, the map can be of help.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

We have less than 3 cards in our hand, so we don't have to discard any. Instead, we draw 1 bringing us back to our hand limit. Defense is a nice basic card if we want to take our time (and we don't have armor/shields to prevent damage), but I had hoped to draw a card with a in the Bonus box to avoid having to play War Magic; but since we were unlucky, I play that instead.

Couldn't we have played defense for 0 gain in red cubes, then rat deals one damage because there's 2 red cubes on it, that dmg is nulled by Defense's bonus effect ; basically making it all a null turn but letting us get one more roll of the "dice" before having to suck it up and War Magic ? Or am I getting confused by the wall of rules ?
Not a huge deal, but if we can avoid stacking Horror on the guy going naturally crazy over time, that'd be better ^^;

About the event : what does the "add N random events to the deck" part of the event mean, in practice ? Are those typically worse or better than the base deck ? Is it a time management thing because Bad poo poo happens if we run out of deck ?

Anyway, votes !
1) C. We don't give away The Preci... I mean food and we have no cash. Filthy beggars ! You should be responsible, self-sufficient, bootstraps pulling Scroungers, like us !
2) Rough choice. Not only is carrying the cripple a huge time sink, we have no idea where the asylum *is*. It could be dead island (it's the only island that springs to mind), but looking at the map it could just as well be those things in the middle of the lake to the NW, or those broken towers jutting out of the sea to the SW. Plus the time sink would mean picking one of those directions and sprinting to it without stopping to explore or do card actions... Lastly, there's the upside/downside calculation. Upside : if we succeed in the task we'll probably get some reward (rep, xp likely, maybe an item, maybe a permanent status). Downside : doesn't seem to be any, unless Tracker but not Saved Hunter is a trigger for Bad poo poo but I'm thinking it's just a checkmark to avoid re-meeting her each time we go through here. All in all, I'm weighing towards B. Sorry girl, we're on a clock here. Big drat Heroes coming through.
3) B. loving with the gods is bad juju.
4) Go west, stick to the plan, get to them mounds that look decidedly mist-covered. We'll even have time to treasure hunt/recharge magic !
5) For just one energy, Ailei could stand to sweep a couple floors. Rep will likely help us deal with the cannibal village on our way to the burny arms place. A (Ailei)

When did Aileil gain her one Terror btw ? Is it because Maggot used War Magic ?
EDIT : oh wait no, it's just that her Terror track doesn't start at the base. Well that's not confusing in the least, good cardboard UI design there.

EDIT2 : Oh, and I'm OK with Ailei keeping the Adventuring kit. Rain and Chill sound like energy sinks to me, and I'd rather have our healer at her fullest.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 20, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Am I missing something or does Maggot not care about exhausting, at the moment? He isn't recovering more than 4 energy per turn anyways.
The main difference is that, if we are Exhausted, we will not be able to bank the leftover effective Energy for the following day; not all days are created equal, as costs and other criteria could change based on the Event that we have drawn for that day. As you noticed, it's possible for Maggot to go through the full Fear and Loathing in Kamelot experience by being constantly exhausted without too much of a drawback, under normal circumstances.
:shroom:
Feel free to let me know if you think I should go full hog on at any time, though :)

Kobal2 posted:

Couldn't we have played defense for 0 gain in red cubes, then rat deals one damage because there's 2 red cubes on it, that dmg is nulled by Defense's bonus effect ; basically making it all a null turn but letting us get one more roll of the "dice" before having to suck it up and War Magic ?
This is...a pretty good point; I even mentioned how Defense is a great card to buy us time, and that's the perfect example. Yes, that would have been the objectively better play, but I was a considerable amount of text deep into the update and somehow I've missed it :v:
If we ever have a disastrous outcome and you spot a misplay, feel free to point it out and we may be able to retcon some of its effects. I'd say we ascribe this to the folly of youth and leave it as it is since it's not too bad (at least until that extra 1 causes us to Go Insane, of course).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 20, 2020

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Do we not get to see location 113 (to our North)?

1A

2A - let's see what happens. I want to find out the result of the quest and this is effectively our test game, so why not give it a try. If nothing else, we will learn something useful for the future.

3B

4B - Aielle to 106 and Maggot (with the Bowmaiden) to 107. The event card says the asylum is "off the coast to the south" so I guess we can have Aielle loop back down to the left and Maggot do the same on the right, ultimately meeting back up in Cuanacht. The Charred Conclave also sounds magical (perhaps charred because magic went wrong?) so I want Maggot to go there.

5B

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Do we not get to see location 113 (to our North)?
No - it's engulfed in wyrdness cause it currently is outisde of the range of an Active Menhir (each Menhir only reveals the 8 Locations that are either cardinally or orthogonally connected to it). We do know that there is something there, cause there is a Travel arrow, though. I'll add this note to the second post, together with the additional stuff we've learned about Travel in the last 2 updates.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1A
2A
3A
5B

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

TravelLog posted:

4B - Aielle to 106 and Maggot (with the Bowmaiden) to 107.

You want to send the fragile diplo girl to the dangerous magic-looking zone alone, and the magic combat guy to the hostile village probably needing diplomacy ? :confused:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

From the way the task is worded I'm kinda assuming "Arkham Island Asylum" is the location's name, same way 104 is the "Charred Conclave", so revealing 109 will lock down where we would need to bring the bowmaiden.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

You want to send the fragile diplo girl to the dangerous magic-looking zone alone, and the magic combat guy to the hostile village probably needing diplomacy ? :confused:

Both have you draw a blue card, so that is a wash. 106 talks about hidden treasure, and I figure Ailei has as good a chance as Maggot to find it. Likewise, 107 is (supposedly) deserted, so just as likely to be a non-diplomatic encounter as not. I am also thinking ahead in terms of turns, as I want Maggot to hit 104.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Both have you draw a blue card, so that is a wash. 106 talks about hidden treasure, and I figure Ailei has as good a chance as Maggot to find it. Likewise, 107 is (supposedly) deserted, so just as likely to be a non-diplomatic encounter as not. I am also thinking ahead in terms of turns, as I want Maggot to hit 104.
As a note, the blue eye icon is the "Dream" one; the Unfriendly Settlement (that usually causes a Diplomacy encounter, like in 107) is the red village thingy. As far as we know the only Diplomacy encounter is in 107 due to the immediate activation effect on the card that will force us to draw and resolve a Blue Encounter before we do anything else - although we could run into a Diplomacy encounter when exploring any Location.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 20, 2020

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

As a note, the blue eye icon is the "Dream" one; the Unfriendly Settlement (that usually causes a Diplomacy encounter, like in 106) is the red village thingy. As far as we know the only Diplomacy encounter is in 106 due to the immediate activation effect marked with a on the card - although we could run into a Diplomacy encounter when exploring any Location.

Are these switched? 107 is the one with the lightning bolt and red icon.

That said, I think I will stick by my picks though. You noted in the intro that looking at the locations will often clue you in to the kind of encounter to expect. A frozen over village seems to pose uncertain possibilities, and Maggot is better suited to that uncertainty. Likewise, if Ailei goes to 106, she can then swing down to the Warrior Fair, where I would imagine she could have an opportunity to diplomance (and it isn't like either her or Maggot would be suited to actually trying to compete in any feats of strength or duels).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Are these switched? 107 is the one with the lightning bolt.

That said, I think I will stick by my picks though. You noted in the intro that looking at the locations will often clue you in to the kind of encounter to expect. A frozen over village seems to pose uncertain possibilities, and Maggot is better suited to that uncertainty. Likewise, if Ailei goes to 106, she can then swing down to the Warrior Fair, where I would imagine she could have an opportunity to diplomance (and it isn't like either her or Maggot would be suited to actually trying to compete in any feats of strength or duels).

Apologies for mixing numbers up in a post supposed to clarify things :v:

Yes, the only forced Diplomacy (Blue) Encounter we know of is in Whitening, Location 107.

EDIT: as an addendum, we already know the road between The Fore-Dweller Mounds and the Warrior Fair in blocked, cause there is no Travel arrow from 103 to 106 and travel is a two-ways business.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 20, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I've added 4a) Plan Kobal2 and 4b) Plan TravelLog as numbered options to Vote n.4.

Also I had missed this question:

quote:

About the event : what does the "add N random events to the deck" part of the event mean, in practice ? Are those typically worse or better than the base deck ? Is it a time management thing because Bad poo poo happens if we run out of deck ?
From time to time numbered Chapter Event cards (like Chapter 1-2) are going to ask us to add a certain number of Random Events to the Events deck. These events could be good or bad and are not advancing the Story; this means that right now we have up to 3 days (5 -2 characters) of "time passes" Events before we trigger Chapter 1-3. Please note that, by completing our current Active Quest, we would "skip" to Chapter 1-5 instead (and follow the text on that card).

I'll add this explanation to the update!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2020

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1a, 2a, 3b, 4 both west to The Mound

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

I've added 4a) Plan Kobal2 and 4b) Plan TravelLog as numbered options to Vote n.4.

Also I had missed this question:

I'll add this explanation to the update!

I see. And because the Chapter Event cards are in sequenced order, there's no actual randomness there beyond the exact nature of the Random Events themselves, correct ? So this likely works like a par, "You are expected to wrap up [Chapter goal] in X turns with Y players" ; with likely increasing difficulties/pressures/#YouDoneFuckedUpNow, Player planned story events triggering every time we blow past a par line, somewhat like the Arkham card game works. I dig.

Seems a bit odd to have two separate clocks ticking at us to prevent resource farming though, I'm curious to see what prompted the redundancy (and whether it means the menhir clock is less clock-y than it appears on the surface and acts more like a resource sink/time waster). Fascinating game, really curious to see where it goes !

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The Event Deck is structured to never run out, but it may provide either help or hindrance both with the Random and the Chapter Events. Chapter Events especially may work a catch up mechanic if the player fall a bit behind or a coup de grâce.

It's less of a ticking clock and more of a way to keep players on their toes and keep the tension up.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A quick count seems to indicate that, so far:

1) We are most likely going to help the Refugees with both Ailei and Maggot. (4 to 1)
2) We are probably going to help the Bowmaiden. (3 to 1)
3) We are probably going to leave the offerings be. (3 to1)
5) We are currently tied (1 to 1) for the "Chores for the Townspeople" action.

4) is a bit less clear; there seems to be somewhat of a consensus to go west, mostly w/o splitting our party. If you have any preferences towards or against this option (or if the outcome of the other votes has influenced your decision), please don't forget to vote now :)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
If we're helping the bowmaiden (and it seems we are, farking rassum frassum do gooders), going west at all is counterproductive and we should instead hurry south (I'd missed the bit about the asylum being thataway). It's still likely to be the Isle of the Dead but we might want to edge our bets and have someone take a detour and reveal what's south of the fighting pits just in case.

Changing my 4 vote to : split the party, Maggot goes to 103, if he reveals the asylum Ailei follows along with the cripple, else she goes to 107 (and Maggot will meet her in the Charred Conclave next turn).

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Changing my 4 vote to : split the party, Maggot goes to 103, if he reveals the asylum Ailei follows along with the cripple, else she goes to 107 (and Maggot will meet her in the Charred Conclave next turn).

Can't we only travel in the cardinal directions? So I don't think Maggot can go to 103 this turn.

If I am correct and in the interest of settling on a path forward, I can change my vote to Maggot to 106 with Bowmaiden and Ailei to 107 if that split pathing works for Kobal.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 21, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

TravelLog posted:

Can't we only travel in the cardinal directions? So I don't think Maggot can go to 103 this turn.

If I am correct and in the interest of settling on a path forward, I can change my vote to Maggot to 106 with Bowmaiden and Ailei to 107 if that split pathing works for Kobal.

You're correct, but we can move multiple times per turn, the only limit being energy (1 point per "square"). Maggot has enough energy left to move S to Cuanacht then W to the pits, then either move south or east and/or polish his staff (which seems prudent, considering his combat prowess seems tied to having magic to spend). He could do the laundry while in Cuanacht instead if we want to, but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile: Rep is probably like magic only for talking, and while Maggot doesn't seem completely gimped talking-wise Ailei is probably more better at the role and I'd rather have him spend his resources on his own speciality.

We can't move south at all from 106, which is why I ditched the idea.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

You're correct, but we can move multiple times per turn, the only limit being energy (1 point per "square").
This is correct! Also yeah 106 <>103 is not possible cause the Locations are missing travel arrows (there's some kind of chasm between them).

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Hmm.

How about Maggot and Bowmaiden to 104 via 101, and Ailei to 104 via 107? They then meet at the Charred Conclave as you suggested, Kobal.

Alternatively, we could have Maggot go to 105, Ailei to 107, and then have them meet at 104 next turn pending any useful tile reveals adjacent to 105 or 107.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In theory you cannot move Dials between characters, but to be honest it doesn't make any sense in this case, as whoever has the Dial is carrying the wounded Bowmaiden with them, and that should be something that can be transferred between characters while they are in the same Location, so I'll allow it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

TravelLog posted:

Hmm.

How about Maggot and Bowmaiden to 104 via 101, and Ailei to 104 via 107? They then meet at the Charred Conclave as you suggested, Kobal.

Alternatively, we could have Maggot go to 105, Ailei to 107, and then have them meet at 104 next turn pending any useful tile reveals adjacent to 105 or 107.

Wait, I'm confused, 104 *is* the Charred conclave ?

To clarify my thoughts : my own plan is based on 2 things : 1) carrying the cripple eats energy like crazy and 2) Ailei recovers more energy than Mr. Magoo so she gets to carry the cripple.
We only want to move the cripple around (or do anything whatsoever that spends energy while she's around) to the extent that it brings us closer to wherever we can ditch her ASAP. While she's with us, everything else is on hold because we can do it more efficiently once she's gone. So right now, since we've decided to lug the ball & chain around, what we should do is find the asylum and get there, spending as little energy as we can doing so. I believe my suggested orders are the best way to accomplish that, but I'm open to criticism.

It's true that 105 is equivalent to 104 wrt exploration/energy expenditure ; but we don't have any cash to spend there so it seemed pointless. Also it's a dream location and Maggot is better off avoiding spending the night in those, all other things being equal.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 21, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Please note that you cannot travel from 105 <>109 either, since there are no travel arrows there :)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

Please note that you cannot travel from 105 <>109 either, since there are no travel arrows there :)

Yes but that's fine, 105 would just be a potential destination inasmuch as it reveals the SW card.

Actually, now that I think about it, would moving to 105 reveal BOTH cards, even though there's no travel possibility ? 'Cause if so, then yeah sure, Maggot goes straight there, no questions asked.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Yes but that's fine, 105 would just be a potential destination inasmuch as it reveals the SW card.

Actually, now that I think about it, would moving to 105 reveal BOTH cards, even though there's no travel possibility ? 'Cause if so, then yeah sure, Maggot goes straight there, no questions asked.

No, you only reveal an adjacent location if there is a travel arrow (and if it is in range of an active Menhir).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

No, you only reveal an adjacent location if there is a travel arrow (and if it is in range of an active Menhir).

All right, then sticking to my previous (amended) vote

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

NOTE: Updates are going to get shorter once we have explained most of the rules in the game, and we are almost there! :)

Vote result posted:

1) We are going to help the Refugees with both Ailei and Maggot. Both our characters lose 1 Food (current: 4 both); they both receive 1 Rep (current A: 3, M:1) and 1 Exp (current: 1 both)
2) We are going to help the Bowmaiden. Ailei receives the Dial since she has more than Maggot. We have the rest of today and tomorrow to complete the Task before it expires (and the Bowmaiden with it).
3) We are going to leave the offerings be. We have decided not to gently caress with the Stagfather; or maybe we have just left unattended valuables be?
4) Maggot S>E to 104; Ailei move conditional to what's revealed. This was the trickiest decision and it was uncertain for a bit, but in the end the main idea was helping out the Bowmaiden, and this sounded like the plan most likely to produce results, since we should be able to scout the SE corner AND THEN if the island is not there, the NW one.
5) We are not doing "Chores for the Townspeople". We have decided to save our .

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Hunters' Grove (102).
Tasks: Bring the wounded Bowmaiden to the Island Asylum and Explore the asylum to find help for her.
Active Menhirs: Cuanacth Farmhold (101), 6 days left.

We have 4 effective on Ailei and 3 on Maggot (although, as noted between updates, Maggot can go Exhausted without too much of a drawback, if needed be). Maggot is moving S to 101, then E to 104.

Travel posted:

We are Travelling to Location 104, through 101. Maggot spends 2 Energy (current: 3).
New Locations revealed:
- Island Asylum (109).

As soon as we enter Location 104, we have to draw and resolve a Gray combat encounter. Remember when I said that Gray Encounters represented "dangers from the realm of men"? Well, it looks like Awaken Realms were too lazy to reskin the Your First Encounter card for each deck (Blue aside), so I had to do this. I am sorry.

Hello fellow humans posted:

The Leonard J. Rats, Esq Encounter is going to play out very similarly to our previous Combat, hopefully. Maggot is not exactly a powerhouse, so a few bad draws may cost us dearly. We start the combat and this is our hand:

Oh dear.
- Charge would cause us to gain 2 and suffer 2 this Round, since we won't be able to attach any other card to it (we don't have 2 Aggression, and there are no "play 1 more" yellow symbol that line up with the Courage connector).
- War Magic would automatically win us the Encounter next Round, at the cost of 1 and 1
- Risky Attack can only be played as our first card this Round (since it doesn't have a "play 1 more" yellow symbol on it), and we won't be able to attach anything to it since we lack both 2 Aggression or 2 Practicality. 50% we get 3 , then lose 1; 50% we get 1 and lose 3
All things considered, War Magic is probably the best choice, but I'll take the risk and show the Mulligan mechanic here. We discard our current hand, and draw 2 cards:

We are rewarded for our risk with a better hand. Careful Attack is exacly what the doctor prescribed: it'll prevent us from losing any , gain us 2 , and set us up to win the next Round, thanks to it 3 available Key connectors, one of which is a 2x. Leonard J. Rats attacks us for 1, but we block it thanks to our Careful Attack:

At the end of the Round, we draw 1 card. This is now our hand:

Hex has a symbol on the Bonus Key, and by connecting it to the x2 Key on Careful Attack we get the 2 remaining we need to win the fight.

For its troubles, Maggot receives 1 Food (current: 5). You may think that Combat in this game is easy, but you'll see how things can go south in a heartbeat once we are done with the Tutorial fights. Having some Magic aside to save ourselves if we run into troubles is a good idea, which means we may have to take low % plays like the one we have just done to try and avoid getting injured or terrified too much. So far, so good. Maggot has 1 effective left, so let's Explore the Charred Conclave.

Exploration: Charred Conclave (104) posted:

Maggot spends 1 (current:2).
Intro:

Looks like Maggot got out of druidcraft just in the nick of time. Could this be Lord Yvain's doing? After all, in his letter to Maggot he mentioned how he wanted to have every druid in the land flayed alive. We are Maggot, so we have to go to Verse 10.
Verse 10:

This is an awkward work reunion to say the least. Let's hear what the charred bodies of our old friends have to say.
Verse 4:

I would normally leave you the choice for this, but this is Maggot's last effective for the Day and we strongly suspect a Secret to be hidden here, since the Dream mentioned charred arms and hands. The funky skulls at the bottom of the text require a Dial to be "decoded". They will send us to a Verse in the Book of Secrets.

Not exacly the DaVinci Code. We lose 1 (current: 7) and gain 1 (current: 3) and we go to Verse 111 of the Book of Secrets.
Verse 111 (BoS):

Even with the additional expenditure of (M current: 6) this is probably the safest/fastes way to access the Menhir Rites Secret card.

Certain Secrets double as Items too, but this is not one of them. As the text from the BoS verse says, we have now resolved our currently active Quest and we have to follow the text on the card to see what to do next - we have to draw and resolve Chapter 1-5:

Before doing this, though, we have a Bowmaiden to (try to) save! Ailei is going to transit through Whitening.

Travel posted:

We are Travelling to Location 107, Whitening. Ailei spends 2 Energy (current: 4).

New Locations revealed:
- None!

Inspecting a Menhir is a special Action and its cost is always 0 no matter what, so we can afford to do so even if we are transporting the wounded Bowmaiden:

We are not goint to Explore Whitening right now, since all our costs are increased by one. We are forced to draw and resolve our first Blue Encounter, though.

Diplomacy posted:

Diplomacy is played out in a similar way to combat, with a few distinctions:

- We are trying to fill an Affinity Meter my moving a marker towards the top of it, while the "enemy" will try to lower it during their turn.
- By linking Keys with a symbol we'll get the bonus described in the Diplomacy Table on the Encounter Card.
- By linking Keys with a symbol, we'll move the tracker up the Affinity Meter by 1 per (if the symbol points down, it has the opposite effect instead).
- A diplomatic encounter may require multiple Stages to be resolved before it's over.
- Most of the other rules are similar to the Combat ones; you can always refer to this Reference Card if you need to:

Time to talk some sense into the good people of Whitening.

Suspicious Guard posted:

We start by drawing out a hand of 3 cards, like we would in a Combat Encouter:

You can immediately see how Ailei is a much more accomplished Diplomat than Maggot is a fighter. In fact, we can win the Tutorial fight with 2 simple moves from our starting hand.

We play Soothing Voice first, since its "play one more card" symbol is lined up with Spirituality, which we lack. We don't get the card's central bonus cause the Keys are resolved before checking that, and by then the Affinity Tracker is already on the green since we have linked Double Empathy and got a as a result.

Then we play Misdirection by linking the Empathy symbol on top with a "play one more card". This nets us 2x on the Bonus Key and we win the Encounter before the Opponent had a chance to say its piece.
This nets us 1 Rep (A current: 4) and we are now free to transit through Whitening undisturbed, at least for today. Speaking of freedom of movement, since the forced encounter on Location 104 says "once per day", we can enter the Charred Conclave without fear of retaliation since Maggot has already taken care of that for us, at least for today. Ailei spends 2 Energy (current: 2) and moves into Location 104.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers1 . Energy is set to full (7)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers1 and loses1 . Energy is set to full (6)
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 1.
- Maggot current Exp is 2. Maggot can afford a Combat or Diplomacy deck upgrade!
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Grail! No Nightmares tonight.

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Charred Conclave (104).
Tasks: Bring the wounded Bowmaiden to the Island Asylum and Explore the asylum to find help for her.
Active Menhirs: Cuanacth Farmhold (101), 5 days left.

It's a new day, so we draw an Event card from the deck - a Random Event, since we got instructed not to modify the deck after we have resolved Chapter 1-1.

We got Good Weather! There's quite a few of these in the Random Event deck (6 out of 20, if I remember correctly), so it's not surprising, but it's still a welcome sight. This means that Ailei can Travel to location 104 by spending only 1 instead of 2, and Maggot can Travel there for free (Events apply to every character unless specified otherwise).

Travel posted:

We are Travelling to Location 107, Whitening. Ailei spends 1 Energy (current: 6).
New Locations revealed:
- None!

Time to Explore the location and find some help for the Bowmaiden!

Exploration: Asylum Island (109) posted:

Ailei spends 2 (current:4).
Intro:

We do have the Tracker status, so we go straight to Verse 11. Nice of the game not to make us wander too much around on this weird island.
Verse 11:

From now on, I'll "decode" these puzzles straight away. As you may have already noticed, these are here more to prevent people from spoiling major developments by mistake, than to challenge the player.
Verse 147 (BoS):
The Bowmaiden reluctantly thanks you and hands you a small parting gift.

The text was split between two pages, so I just typed in the Intro myself. The Exp is nice, and the Stagfather Charm is situationally awesome, especially with a party like ours.

Bowmaidens are a Level 2 Green Encounter and we would otherwise have to run away from it right now, probably. I've transferred the Charm to Maggot, since he's the most likely to run into fights, but feel free to ask me to move it back to Ailei!
Both Ailei and Maggot have 2 Exp, which means we can now discuss Character Advancement:

None of our characters have 0 points in any Attribute pair, so the only option right now is to buy a Combat or Diplomacy deck advancement. The most common strategies are:
- Save to 6 Exp and buy a 3rd point in an Attribute and get a Skill (I'll talk more about this if we decide to go this way; skills are nice (sometimes very nice) For now, if you are curious, you can check this LIST - feel free to make up your mind about the efficacy of a Skill, the author of the list has given their own idea but it's not necessarily accurate).
- Save to 6 Exp and buy a 3rd point in a pair (usually in the Attribute that is at 0 right now, to balance our character out, IE: making Maggot a decent fighter with 1 Practicality)
- Ignore the missing attribute and buy cards instead - by removing the cards that use the Attribute we miss and adding more cards that use the Attributes we have, we kinda work around the issue while getting our deck better on average. We can go above 15 Cards, but we can also keep our deck small, giving us more chances to draw into our upgrade cards.
EDIT: Having a better idea of what's already in the deck seems like a sensible idea if we are to decide how to plan our upgrades; These are the current decks we are most likely to upgrade:
Maggot - Base Combat:

Ailei - Base Diplomacy:

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

We have 2 effective on Ailei and 3 on Maggot. Please vote on what we should do today and tomorrow.
1) We can explore the Island (specify whom): vote A to hire ourselves out as an assistant, B to tour the monuments, C to try and sneak into the depths of the asylum or D to leave this place immediately. You can vote multiple options (D aside).
2) Our next destination (today+tomorrow): vote A) to return to Whitening and explore it (107), B) Dig through the remains in the Charred Conclave (104, specify who should do so) C) to explore the Warrior Fair (103) and scout the SW location, D) to Explore the Fore-dweller Mounds (106) and check the Menhir there or E) to propose another plan. In case there was any doubt, we can pool our resources to activate a Menhir, but we currently have 0 Wealth.
3) Character Advancement: vote A to buy a deck Advancement (specify the deck and the character) or B to save up for now.

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 23, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Looking at the skills, I think Maggot should save for aggression 2 and Ailei for practicality 2.

For exploration, Ailei should do options A and B while Maggot should look for trouble in verse 5.

In general, I think we should milk the village Menhir for all its time before lighting a new one, so I think we should explore the Conclave and Whitening some more, farm some food at the grove (we even have a bowmaiden's ID card) and check out the mounds during the next turns.

1) A and B - Ailei
C - Maggot
2) Discussion pending
3) B - save for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

Looking at the skills, I think Maggot should save for aggression 2 and Ailei for practicality 2.

I'd disagree there - considering how the combat/diplo system works, I think it's essential to have 1 in each attribute ASAP so you can always (or almost always) link for big bursts of damage to end encounters quickly.
That being said, I don't know how many cards in each char's respective decks (and upgraded deck) have that "need 2 to link" symbol. Absent that info, I reckon it's best to save for Spirituality 1 on Ailei (6 xp) and Practicality 1 on Maggot (8 xp)...

I'll grant you that Coercion on Ailei at Empathy 3 and Tracking at Practicality 3 are also *very* tempting, and maybe take precedence over more reliable talks.

quote:

In general, I think we should milk the village Menhir for all its time before lighting a new one, so I think we should explore the Conclave and Whitening some more, farm some food at the grove (we even have a bowmaiden's ID card) and check out the mounds during the next turns.

Agreed, although we should bear in mind that menhirs also gate exploration : once Cuanacht's menhir goes dark we won't be able to go to 108/105/109 any more since both our immediate menhir options are north. Just something to bear in mind - although since polishing menhirs takes money and we *still* haven't managed to lay our hands on a lone copper zloty, the giant sword place isn't exactly tempting right now. Plus we're starting to run out of food, so your plan makes sense to me.

Anyway, votes !
1) A and B Ailei, get some magic back then C Maggot
2) A, let's have both of 'em mosey into town ; with a side of B for Ailei only (who needs to scrounge up some magic somehow).
3) B

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 22, 2020