Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Powerful Blow It sucks to use energy, but sometimes you just need big damage. If the enemy creature deletes cards in our chain, we may be able to take advantage of that and have powerful blow's timer effect occur multiple times in a combat.

That's not how timer effects work. When you play the card, you put a timer token on it. Each round, you check to see if anything has a timer token and remove it if so, which triggers the listed effect. If you play another card over the timer token before this happens, it goes away and you don't get the timer effect. You do not reapply the effects of playing a card if it's re-exposed because the card over the timer card goes away, so you don't get a new timer token, and thus don't get the timer effect again.

The one time losing cards from the chain reactivates an effect is for things that are active while exposed, passive effects like Defend's damage reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
As the thread has guessed, I've added Chapter 3A-3 instead of 3A-4 by mistake...this is the correct Quest we should have:

Also yeah, Ailei's sheet values are wrong, these are the correct ones:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 21, 2020

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

malkav11 posted:

That's not how timer effects work. When you play the card, you put a timer token on it. Each round, you check to see if anything has a timer token and remove it if so, which triggers the listed effect. If you play another card over the timer token before this happens, it goes away and you don't get the timer effect. You do not reapply the effects of playing a card if it's re-exposed because the card over the timer card goes away, so you don't get a new timer token, and thus don't get the timer effect again.

The one time losing cards from the chain reactivates an effect is for things that are active while exposed, passive effects like Defend's damage reduction.

Ah, thanks. I need to re-read these rules.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Ah, thanks. I need to re-read these rules.
I've also played it wrong (in a different way) itt: I thought the time token would remain until the start of the next Round even if the card got covered - which makes no sense when you try to do that playing irl, since you can't really cover the card with the other one if you have a time token on it. I used to put it on top of the combat sequence because of that :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
This is, incidentally, why that Aggression skill that lets you pop a timer effect once a fight is good. It means you can play something with an awesome timer effect, get it, then chain on top of it. And while once I got Hammer Swipe that was usually what I used it on, it's not the only viable option. (It's a Beor card with a timer effect that gives ten progress cubes. But, uh, you discard 10 cards off your deck when you play it. And if you need to draw a card and can't, you lose the fight. so if you can't manually trigger those ten cubes, that's very likely to be a problem.)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Vote Results posted:

1. Markets of a future past: we are buying the Moldy Tome! Ailei spends 2 Wealth (current: 2) and we are equipping it on Ailei, at least for now. We also immediately use it, since we can't gain any Health or lose any Terror atm; Ailei gains 1 Magic (current: 4).

2. Rest of Ailei's day: we are going to Explore the bog for herbs.
  3. Tomorrow's Exploration: we are going to Explore First Farmhold (117) to progress our Quest and regroup and light up the Menhir in Dark Morass.
  4. Maggot's level up: we are adding Powerful Blow and removing Gather Thoughts since it is barely playable without Practicality.

Today's Event:

The Wyrdbear spawns in Whitening (107) and it would move South; since there is no Location there, it moves to the highest revealed Location instead - Quiet Burough (142).

Expedition Log posted:

Tasks:
- find who tried to repair the Menhir at the First Farmhold.
- find where the hermits went.
- reach the Tomb of the Order with the Excalibur's scabbard.
Active Menhirs: Titans' Steps (115), 2 days left.
Guardians: Underbrush Wyrm(101) disappears! Wyrdbear (101) disappears!

Before proceeding with Today's activities, we are going to explore the bog in search of herbs with Ailei.

Exploration: Dark Morass (140) posted:

Intro:

We have 1 Courage and 2 energy left, for a total of +3. We roll a 5, for a total of 8.
Verse 8:

It's not Food, but we can pick one of these 2 Items for free!

After this, Ailei rests and gets her Energy back to Full (7). Maggot spends 1 (current:5) to travel to the First Farmhold:

He then draws and resolves a Purple Encounter.

Combat - Four Magpies posted:

Magpies are said to have a special significance based on how many you encounter, in Irish folklore; this is the reason why, for example, you are supposed to say "Hello!" if you spot a single Magpie, when you are in Ireland :eng101: 4 Magpies are supposed to signify you are going to get a son, though...Also, these are clearly two-headed crows. :colbert:
They are Fast, which means we can play a maximum of 2 Cards per activation. This is our starting hand:

- This is going to be fast. We play Careful Attack and gain 2 .
- We chain off Final Blow and gain 4 more .
- We would not be able to play another card, but discarding Defend to activate the Clansword effect does not count as playing a card. We gain 2 more and we win the fight!

These Magpies should have left this Maggot alone :black101: This is the full nursery rhyme in case you want to be prepared when facing Irish Magpies in the future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_Sorrow_(nursery_rhyme)
By dispatching the thief-birds, we get 1 Food (current A:2, M:5) and 3 whole Wealth (current A:2, M:5)! Time for Maggot to Explore the First Farmhold.

Exploration: First Farmhold (117) posted:

- Maggot spends 1 (current:4).
Intro:

We roll a 3, for a total of 6.

The only things we have not inspected are the slimy rags and the hole. We know what lives in the hole, so maybe let's have a look at the rags :v:
Verse 10:

Ailei is not with us so we just gain 1 . If she was with us, though she would have identifies the slimy pile as the undigested part of a wyrm's meal. ScienceMagic!
Verse 7:

There's only 1 Time Token for now on this Location. We roll a 4, for a total of 6 which is scary but doesn't result in the Wyrm coming out to play.

We only have 1 place to go...

Verse 8:

Blessed story triggers, protect us!
Verse 15:

Verse 116 (BoS):

Poor Erfyr :( So the First Expedition was working with Lancelot, and they were trying to dupe her and keep the True Grail away from her?

Maggot gains 2 Exp (current: 2). He then spends 1 Energy (current: 3) and travels to the Dark Morass.

Rekindling a Menhir - Dark Morass (140) posted:

• Ailei pays 2 (current A:5, M:3).
  • Maggot pays 4 Food (current A:2, M:1).
  • Maggot pays 2 Wealth and passes 3 to Ailei (current A:5, M:0).
Menhir Rekindled! Duration set to 6.
New Locations revealed:
- 157, Shimmering Flats.

We have quite a lot of left (current A:5, M:3) and we have several potential things we can do, so I'll split this day in half here.

:siren::siren::siren:
VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Today's Activities - vote all the ones you'd like to do, in order of preference.
    1. Explore the Shimmering Flats (157).
    2. Teleport Maggot to Tangleroot and Hunt for 2+ Food, then travel to Titan's Steps (Maggot is left with 0 Energy, recovers to 4 for tomorrow).
    3. Travel North and fight the Wyrdbear for 2 Food. This will also reveal Kamelot (190).
    4. Same as C, but move to and Explore Kamelot (190) as well.
    5. Other - please specify what.

2. Maggot's Level up we have enough Exp for another Deck Advancement already! Choose one:
    1. Advance Combat.
    2. Advance Diplomacy.
    3. Save up for now.

3. Molty Tome carrier - whoever doesn't get this will carry Excalibur's Scabbard:
    1. Ailei.
    2. Maggot.

4. Bog brewery - Ailei can craft 1 of 2 items; which one should we gain?
    1. Healing Extract.
    2. Witches' Bile.

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 22, 2020

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Today's Activities
D) Travel North and fight the Wyrdbear for 2 Food. and then visit Kamelot.

Maggot's Lvl up:
Advance Diplomacy.

Molty Tome : Ailei bought it, she keeps it

Bog Item Production
Ailei makes the Witche's Bile

Edit:
Why did Maggot give Ailei all his wealth?

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 22, 2020

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
1D Let's go to Kamelot! The questing has worked out quite neatly for us. I don't like that we have to wrap all the way around, but at least we get to fight a guardian for food.
2 Abstain I don't know. I prefer 2A over 2B, but I don't remember how we can spend XP very well, which is why 2C might be better than both.
3B Ailei can keep getting more magic. Besides, the scabbard is a way to quickly heal if you take a lot of damage, and Maggot is more likely to take damage than Ailei at the moment.

We are on a quest to deliver Excalibur's Scabbard, but the tombs are north of Kamelot. So we have some time left there.

I am curious too about why Ailei got all the wealth. Based on the current energy (A:5, M:3), only Ailei can actually reach Kamelot. Maybe she needs the wealth to buy something?

4 Witches' Bile Sometimes a big burst of damage is just what you need to finish a deadly encounter.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 22, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

I am curious too about why Ailei got all the wealth. Based on the current energy (A:5, M:3), only Ailei can actually reach Kamelot. Maybe she needs the wealth to buy something?

Usually you use Wealth in settlements, and Ailei is our designated "civilized area" person - she's probably going to be the one interacting with merchants first, especially if we need to apply some persuasion; I can definitely keep it split equally (or any other way) if the thread prefers though!

Also, I had forgot to put a voting option for Ailei's crafting, it has now been added!

Edit: just realized the map is all messed up on mobile, maybe it'll be fine if I preserve the whitespace.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 22, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

1) B or C - we're (almost) out of food and we have some random event buffer. Better go hunting or something.

2), 3) and 4) A.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kanthulhu posted:

Today's Activities
D) Travel North and fight the Wyrdbear for 2 Food. and then visit Kamelot.

Maggot's Lvl up:
Advance Diplomacy.

Molty Tome : Ailei bought it, she keeps it

Bog Item Production
Ailei makes the Witche's Bile

Seconding

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1 - B or C - our party needs food badly.
2A - we should give Maggot a Diplomacy levelup or two soon, but at the moment he still benefits more from Combat cards.
3A - the Tome is most valuable to Ailei, the Scabbard to Maggot. I see no reason to ever swap unless Ailei needs the healing bad enough to earn Terror (and given her flaw and her power, that seems unlikely).
4B - we are not that short on healing. Sadly, the Wayfarer's Leaves are actually way better than either of these potions but, oh well.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1D I want to see Kamelot.

2A I mean...I did send Maggot to fight the bear.

3A

4B

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
1D Get that bear!
2A His job is combat, he should upgrade that as much as possible.
Don’t really care about the items.
4BBetter to have a Hail Mary to avoid something unknown than to have healing that might not help.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Domus posted:

1D Get that bear!
2A His job is combat, he should upgrade that as much as possible.
Don’t really care about the items.
4BBetter to have a Hail Mary to avoid something unknown than to have healing that might not help.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Expedition Log posted:

Tasks:
Active Menhirs: Titans' Steps (115), 2 days left.
Guardians: Wyrdbear (142)

Vote Results posted:

1. Today's Activities - we are going to Travel North and fight the Wyrdbear for 2 Food, then move to and Explore Kamelot (190).
  2. Maggot's Level up we are getting a Combat Advancement.
  3. Moldy Tome carrier - Ailei gets the Tome, Maggot will carry Excalibur's Scabbard:
  4. Bog brewery - Ailei crafts a Witches' Bile.
Maggot spends 1 (current:2) and moved to the Quiet Burough; this reveals Kamelot!

I forgot to mention that the Quiet Burough also spawns a Blue or Gray Encounter, so Maggot is going to have fun! The Wyrdbear Encounter goes surprisingly smooth - Maggot suffers only 1 Health and gains 2 Food in the process (current: 3); the Guardian token is removed. We flip a Dial and get a Skull, so we draw a Gray Encounter.

Combat - Lone Squire posted:

The Lone Squire hits hard enough and is Defensive (the first Combat Card played each Round causes 1 less), but he's not too tough at Encounter Level 7. I guess this guy didn't get the news that we have helped the knights retake the Burough? Time to merk him. This is our starting hand (and we immediately use Now or Never to draw an extra card since we lack offense).

- Way to draw all your defensive cards, Maggot :v:
- We play Battle Cry to cycle and prevent damage. We draw Risky Attack.
- The Squire attacks us, but we don't have to lose and we prevent the damage thanks to Battle Cry.
- At the end of the Round we have 4 cards in hand, so we discard Hold Guard. We draw Attack.

- We play Risky Attack and are rewarded again, scoring 3 total (reduced to 2 by Defensive). We draw Defend :psyduck:
- We follow up with Reposition, linking the bonus key.
- We chain Defensive Posture.
- The Squire attacks us for 1 Health and 1 Marker, but we parry with Defensive Posture.
- We draw Hex.

- We trigger Defensive Posture's delayed ability and we draw Charge.
- We play Attack and we gain 3 (reduced to 2 by Defensive).
- We play Charge and we win the figth!

This fight was tougher than expected - our inability to play Attacks has slowed us down dangerously, making us unable to use our Clansword since we didn't connect Aggression for the first 2 Rounds. Once we got our Attacks out, though, we were able to easily close the fight. Maggot gains 2 Wealth (total: 2).
- Ailei spends 2 and Maggot 1 (current A:3, M:1) and they move to Kamelot.

Exploration: Kamelot (190) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:2).
Intro:

We do have the Status since we have helped out the Knights retaking the Plagued Burough.
Verse 2:

Well, we could "Rest a while and leave" an infinite number of times, but it gest boring after a few million repeats. We do have a Quest to speak with Lancelot, though. Maggot tags in (current Energy: 0).
Verse 4:

We can only pick one thing today, so let's make it count.
Verse 15:

We have enough Rep, but we only have 2 parts of the Restoring the Order Status, so we'll have to rely on our charme.
Verse 468 > 507 (BoS):

Oh, gently caress off Lancy.

The good news is that you can't lose that you don't have. The bad news is: everything else. This is our starting hand:

- As always, our 2 characters have opposite weaknesses, so it would be difficult to chose one path here...but I see an unexpected path to victory. We will try to appeal to Lacelot's Sense of Right, meaning that Maggot will be unable to gain by connecting Spirituality.
- We start with Maggot and we immediately use Now or Never to draw Eye for Detail.
- We play Rethoric and we use the socratic method to show Lancelot who's boss.
- When Lancelot tries to reply, we gain 2 instead of losing 2 Affinity - and we can't lose any , since we are already at 0!
- We draw Holy Verse.

- It's Ailei's turn.
- We play Sweet Lies and Lancelot is ours!

There are sooo many ways for this to go wrong. We can easily lose 2 or 3 days worth of Energy here, especially since we HAVE to have all the characters present, and our party is realy mismatched in an encouter that requires Empathy OR Spirituality (but not both) and has a single gainer and a double loser in the Affinity panel.
Verse 345 (BoS):

We gain 2 Exp (current A:7, M:2) and 1 Magic (current A:5, M:3) each.
We have completed our current Quest! It's time to set up Chapter 4:

Our current total is 20 so we barely miss out on Special Event I. We put back Special Event A on top of the Event Deck, followed by 5 Random Event cards.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to full (7)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food and activates Excalibur's Scabbard - recovers 2 . Exhausted! Energy is set to full 4.
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 2.
- Maggot current Exp is 5.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Grail! No Nightmares tonight.

Tomorrow's Event:

The Hammerbeak moves North to Tangleroot (107).

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Exploration - vote 1 or 2 things for tomorrow.
    1. Explore Kamelot (190).
    2. Maggot uses the Scroll to move to Tangleroot, fights the Hammerbeak and dies to get some Food. Then maybe hunts some more and dies.
    3. Someone teleports to Broch Cruach (136), and reveals location 135, then explores either.
    4. Someone teleports to Shimmering Flats (157) and Explores.
    5. Other - please specify what.

2. Kamelot Konfidential - we have a bunch of things we could do here. What do we want to do (each will most likely cost 1 )? You can vote multiple options AND vote against some if you want.
    1. Ask to see the King.
    2. Ask Sir Lancelot to help Cuanacth.
    3. Ask if we can do anything to help.
    4. Report Gaheris' actions in the Burough.
    5. Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her to help Cuanacht.
    6. Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her why the Menhirs are going dark.
    7. Request an audience with Morgaine and offer to relight all the Menhirs in the realm.

3. Maggot's level ups - pick one of these 3 cards to advance Maggot's Combat deck.

Also, Maggot has 2 more Exp and we're spending them on a Diplomacy level up, so pick on of these 3 cards as well:

4. Ailei's level up - Ailei has enough Exp to gain Practicality 3 (with a Skill), Spirituality 1, Courage 2 or Caution 2. She could also wait for 1 more Exp and gain Empathy 4 (with a Skill). Skill List HERE.
    1. Practicality 3 - specify which Skill.
    2. Courage 2.
    3. Caution 2.
    4. Save for Empathy 4 (specify which Skill).

pre:

Explored Locations:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
"Miss out."

Yeah, that's one way to describe not getting Special Event I.

It won't come up again, so I'd be happy to describe what it does if that's okay.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
1. Tomorrow's Exploration : Explore Kamelot
Kamelot seems to have a lot of cool options we should try.

2. What to do in Kamelot: Ask if we can do anything to help., Report Gaheris' actions in the Burough., Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her why the Menhirs are going dark.. Other options seem interesting as well, but I guess those 3 would be the priorities.

3.1 Maggot's Combat Level up: Heroic Strike appears to have the best connectors
3.2. Maggot's Diplo Lvl up: The Holiest Verse looks ok.

4. Ailei Level up: Practicality 3 with 31 Foresight Skill (will make Ailei have an even easier time crushing blue encounters).

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

malkav11 posted:

"Miss out."

Yeah, that's one way to describe not getting Special Event I.

It won't come up again, so I'd be happy to describe what it does if that's okay.

I'm in favor.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kanthulhu posted:

2. What to do in Kamelot: Ask if we can do anything to help., Report Gaheris' actions in the Burough., Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her why the Menhirs are going dark.. Other options seem interesting as well, but I guess those 3 would be the priorities.

4. Ailei Level up: Practicality 3 with 31 Foresight Skill (will make Ailei have an even easier time crushing blue encounters).

Seconded, seems perfect (although I'm not sure we can doxx Gaheris since we helped him, not the rebels)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So Blood Moon is Special Event A, then?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Narsham posted:

So Blood Moon is Special Event A, then?

No, special event A is underneath a pile of 5 Random Events, Blood Moon being the first of these 4 - also I have to remember to remove Event 4-2 cause I forgot! And yeah Special Event I is a pile of fun, so go on malkav11 :)

I'll post the card tomorrow during the recap update.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 24, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So, basically, this check is a bit of direct difficulty manipulation. If you're struggling, you get an event that (I presume) catches you up a bit. If you're in the intended range, you get nothing. If you're above the intended range, you get special event I.

In special event I, you find a nice, cozy homestead, and have a nice, cozy meal...and then you wake up partway merged with the house, with an owner's face cackling at you from out of the ceiling. And then you're told to go to the book of secrets, where you discover each character in your party has gained 2 terror, lost an Item and 2 magic, and gets to (separately and in any order) make a choice between: saving your life (keep an amount of Food and Wealth that in total equals your two highest Attributes added together, so probably no more than 6), saving your belongings (losing 8 health minus your highest attribute, but keep a total of 16 between your Wealth and Food), and saving your friends (lose 2 health, keep total Wealth and Food equal to your highest attribute, one other character doesn't have to make that choice.)

That's what we got in my run. It's a real kick in the balls.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 24, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

malkav11 posted:

So, basically, this check is a bit of direct difficulty manipulation. If you're struggling, you get an event that (I presume) catches you up a bit. If you're in the intended range, you get nothing. If you're above the intended range, you get special event I.

[snipped]

JESUS loving CHRIST WHY.
"Hey, you're doing great, here's a kick in the balls".
There's gotta be better ways to reset resources to standard.

Good news, our current target is where we need to bring Avalon anyways, so 2 birds 1 travel.
Slightly worse news, we'll have to rekindle the menhir in Titan's Steps.
Actually bad news, we're really low on food and a gigantic dinosaur* is camping the hunting grounds.

*birds are dinosaurs. Not kidding here.

1) A - maybe the camper will uncamp tomorrow
2) C, D and F - possible quests, possible quest rewards, possible information (or Morgaine going witch-queen on us, win win either way)
3 combat) Either Ignore Pain or Heroic Strike - Strike probably has the better connections.
3 diplo) True Sight or Holiest Verse - I'd go with Verse since we can use all its connections right now but both look good.
4) A, Tracker - food food food.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

malkav11 posted:

In special event I, you find a nice, cozy homestead, and have a nice, cozy meal...and then you wake up partway merged with the house, with an owner's face cackling at you from out of the ceiling. And then you're told to go to the book of secrets, where you discover each character in your party has gained 2 terror, lost an Item and 2 magic, and gets to (separately and in any order) make a choice between: saving your life (keep an amount of Food and Wealth that in total equals your two highest Attributes added together, so probably no more than 6), saving your belongings (losing 8 health minus your highest attribute, but keep a total of 16 between your Wealth and Food), and saving your friends (lose 2 health, keep total Wealth and Food equal to your highest attribute, one other character doesn't have to make that choice.)

Huh. That's uuuh something all right.
I would then expect that the opposite event is a "ok, seems you're struggling, here's a load of free goodies, try not to suck in the future" ?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Huh. That's uuuh something all right.
I would then expect that the opposite event is a "ok, seems you're struggling, here's a load of free goodies, try not to suck in the future" ?

I would have thought so. I took a quick look, and apparently it gives you a time limit to fight a Wyrdbear to save a caravan. Which...maybe you get a big payout from? I didn't look into the results.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
No fighting today. Period.
So 1A
2C-B-A
4A Pickpocketing

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I'm glad we barely missed that event! For once, not farming for food has paid off. And given how the event deck was "reset", we might actually get to keep the time we didn't use.

As for today, we need food badly, and we need to find out what's going on in Kamelot. Is there a good way for us to dump our excess magic into food? The Blood Moon event is also heavily discouraging us from going out to fight for food today, so we may just have to accept running low.

Kanthulhu posted:

These seem fine to me. We can only face rank 2 or rank 3 encounters now, so being able to select advantageous ones is important.

I slightly worry that talking to much to Morgaine could switch our allegiance, but I do want some info. Time permitting, I'd also like to request an audience with the king.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-update Recap

Vote Options posted:

1. Exploration - we are almost certainly going to Explore Kamelot (190) (A).
  2. Kamelot Konfidential - so far, these are in the lead: Ask if we can do anything to help (C), followed by Report Gaheris' actions in the Burough (D) and Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her why the Menhirs are going dark (F); then at a distance, Ask to see the King (A) followed by Ask Sir Lancelot to help Cuanacth (B).
  3. Maggot's level ups - we are probably going to pick Heroic Strike and The Holiest Verse.

4. Ailei's level up - we are most likely going with Practicality 3; as per the Skill, Foresight is in the lead, followed by Tracker and Pickpocketing. Skill List HERE.

Let's talk about Special Event I
malkav11 has already explained what we barely escaped, but since the writing in this game is positively alright, let's have a look at this thing:

Charming.

Now the question "WHY?!" is probably on your mind, but you have to consider that the sandboxy nature of the game means that there are a few windfalls/stopgaps sprinkled around to try and keep the experience on track - the difficulty is not adjusted on your level, just the number of players; and you could gain quite a lot of Exp by sticking around in the lower chapters, "farming" tasks and quests that grant Party-wide Exp. This, incidentally, would also probably mean quite a bit of resources; we were very lucky to push forward while so low on Food and after having spent a bunch of Wealth on Items.

That said, as much of a sucker punch this is, it's something we could have played around in our specific case. Maggot could have chosen to Save his friend, losing "only" 2 Health and 1 Wealth; Ailei would have been spared this. The big downside would have of course been the unavoidable 2 Terror each and the Item loss.

Lorepost - Gaheris

Gaheris, the Angry Knight posted:

Gaheris is a minor character in the original Arthurian cycle - as a son of Morgause he is Arthur's nephew, Gawain's brother and Mordred half-brother. In later, French depictions, his role is expanded: he is described as valiant, agile, and handsome (even as "his right arm was longer than the left"), but reticent in speech and prone to excess when angered; it is told he is an even better warrior than his brother, Gawain - although Gawain's role as the bestest knight has been taken over by Galahad in this version.

Gawain and Gaheris, wearing their family's crest - a yellow double-eagle on pink, crossed by a red stripe.

A dark shadow looms over the knight, though, as a prophecy foretells that his sins will cause him to kill his own mother; nonetheless, Gaheris goes on to have several adventures, the most famous of which is slaying King Pellinore (brother to the Fisher King) to avenge his father's death. Prophecies have a way to fullfillm themselves, though, as Gaheris' mother, Morgause, becomes enamored with Lamork, Pellinore's son and Knight of the Round Table: when Gaheris finds them together, he is so enraged that he beheads his mother. Lamorak escapes, and Gaheris convices everyone that the man is the true killer of Morgause. Lamorak is chased by the Angry Knight and his siblings, until finally Mordred manages to stab him in the back, killing him.

Gaheris and his brothers fight the mighty Lamorak for more than 3 hours before Mordred stabs him in the back.

When Arthur discovers that Gaheris is Morgause's killer, he is banished from court - and he only survives Mordred's revenge when Gawain convices him to stop. In Le Morte d'Arthur, after Arthur has discovered his wife's infidelity and she is about to be burned at the stake, Gaheris faces Lancelot who has rushed to save his lover, Queen Guinevere. Gaheris loses his helmet, and his head is split in twain by Lancelot; when Gawain discovers his brother's death, his fury is terrible and the resulting feud leads to the ultimate destruction of Arthur's kingdom.

Queen Guinevere's Peril

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 25, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Seasonal greetings everyone!

Just a headsup: the transmissions will resume normally on Monday :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hit "post" by mistake too early :P update in a bit!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Expedition Log posted:

Tasks:
Active Menhirs: Titans' Steps (115), 1 days left.Hammerbeak(107) moves North!
Guardians: Hammerbeak(107) moves North!

Today's Event:

The Wyrdbear spawns in Whitening (107) and it would move South; since there is no Location there, it moves to the highest revealed Location instead - Quiet Burough (142).

Vote Results posted:

"
  1. Exploration - we are going to Explore Kamelot (190) (A).
  2. Kamelot Konfidential - we are going to do these things in Kamelot: Ask if we can do anything to help (C), followed by Report Gaheris' actions in the Burough (D) and Request an audience with Morgaine and ask her why the Menhirs are going dark (F); then, Ask to see the King (A) followed by Ask Sir Lancelot to help Cuanacth (B).
  3. Maggot's level ups - we are going to pick Heroic Strike and The Holiest Verse.

4. Ailei's level up - we are going with Practicality 3 picking Foresight as our Skill. We lose access to the Skill Tracker.Skill List HERE.

Exploration: Kamelot (190) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:6).
Intro:

Let's exhaust Lancelot's options first.

It has now been made clear that we have to pick a side in this fight. The thread has been clear so far that we want to side with the Knights, but we can double-check before locking this choice in.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:5).
Verse 21:

This would lead us back to the Verse we just read when we asked if there was anything we could do to help.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:4).
Verse 19:

Energy spent to get to same Verse: 3. And I'm houseruling that we don't need to be all together now that we have completed the previous step of the Quest, otherwise it would be 6. AKAB. Let's see if Morgaine is a bit more helpful.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:3).

Ok, ok, ASAB too.

Finally, let's see what the King has to say.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:2).

Allmotherdammit, this place is terrible! Also, apparently the king has "returned" last time a centyry ago? At least we didn't get into a fight with the guards.
Maggot only has 2 effective Energy today, and we have exhausted all our questions; he could get 1 Exp by using the Location Action, although I think it may be better to move closer to the hunting grounds; also, Titans' Steps are a Nightmare Free location. And just like that, it's evening. We have a total of 3 Food left, so we consume 2 and leave the remaining one to Ailei since A) Maggot can deal with a bit of starving with less issues and B) hopefully he'll be able to hunt something tomorrow.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to full (7).
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Energy is set to full (6).
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 1.
- Maggot current Exp is 0.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Skull! Maggot has a Nightmare

Tomorrow's Event:

The Wyrdbear rolls a "X" and is removed!

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Mortal enemies - We have to pick a side:
    1. Keep the Knights as our allies.
    2. Side with the Rebels.

2. Morgaine's request - whatever's Morgaine side in the big problem from Step1 is, helping her out will probably make her like us, which in return will probably make us switch our allegiances between her and the Lady of the Lake. Maybe.
    1. Do not agree to Morgaine's request. Stick with the Lady.
    2. Agree to Morgaine's request (Spoiler: this will bring us to the Shimmering Flats, in case this will influence your next vote).

3. Exploration - vote as many as you'd like, I'll try to make sense of the votes myself.
    1. Hunt in Tangleroot.
    2. Teleport to Shimmering Flats and Explores (to avoid the Rep loss).
    3. Move to the Shimmering Flats and Explores (eating a Rep loss).
    4. Move to Broch Cruach and Explores; this will also reveal location 135.
    5. Move to Location 135 and Explores.
    6. Other - please specify what.

pre:

Explored Locations:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Note those bits about picking successors for dead Knights. That's how these knights have survived centuries: they didn't, they simply go by the same name as their predecessors.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Dread Pirate Lancelot.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Mortal enemies - Keep helping the knights. Let's get this round table rolling again.

Morgaine's request - Do not agree (going all the way to Shimmering Flats seems like a huge waste of time).

Exploration - Hunt in Tangleroot and Explore Broch Cruach . Probably requires splitting the party.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kanthulhu posted:

Mortal enemies - Keep helping the knights. Let's get this round table rolling again.

Morgaine's request - Do not agree (going all the way to Shimmering Flats seems like a huge waste of time).

Exploration - Hunt in Tangleroot and Explore Broch Cruach . Probably requires splitting the party.

Agreed.

What were the requirements for the menhir in Titan's Steps? We'll need to light it again in two turns to keep exploring north were we need to go.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kanthulhu posted:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just to point out, Morgaine's request is most likely a sidequest we can complete whenever. The reason to turn it down would be not wanting to help her, not because we need to rush off and do it immediately.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It probably ticks a status though. I'd skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kanthulhu posted:

What they said.

Omobono posted:

It probably ticks a status though. I'd skip it.

Might even switch our allegiance. Hard pass.