Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
The plan so far sounds fine. I do think we need to relight Titan's Steps soon, so the party can't roam too far away from each other and need to be conscious of which resources they're spending/saving.

There's a small chance that there's a menhir in 135 (north of Titan's Steps and west of Broch Cruach). If there is, we could light that one instead of Titan's Steps and have basically the same coverage of the map. That said, it seems like the menhirs have all been diagonal from each other, so this is a longshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1A
2A
3D

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Mini-update recap

Votes so far posted:

1. Mortal enemies - "Keep the Knights as our allies" (A) is winning.
  2. Morgaine's request - "Do not agree to Morgaine's request. Stick with the Lady" (A) is winning.
  3. Exploration - Hunt in Tangleroot. (A) and move to Broch Cruach and Explore (B) are winning.

Additional art from Kamelot (190)

Lorepost - Lancelot

Lancelot, Knight of the Lake posted:

Lancelot is typically depicted as King Arthur's close companion and one of the greates Knights of the Round Table. A hero of many battles, quests and tournaments, and famed as a nearly unrivalled swordsman and jouster, Lancelot becomes the personal champion of Arthur's wife Queen Guinevere. In the early works, Lancelot's famous passion for Guinevere is entirely absent; but in the later french Vulgate cycle, when his adulterous affair with the Queen is discovered, it causes a civil war that is exploited by Mordred to end Arthur's kingdom.

King Arthur keeps Lancelot around to open jars and complete other similar tasks since he's lost the ability to grip things - Stained Glass in Harden Grange, Yorkshire.

To make things more confusing, Lancelot's birth name in the Vulgate cycle is none other than Galahad - because he is born in the borderland between Gaul and Brittany (don't ask me how that works, names are hard). He is the son of a Gallo-Roman king, Ban of Benoic; after his father's kindgom is overrun by frankish invaders, Lancelot is kidnapped by a mysterious enchantress known as the Lady of the Lake, who takes him to her fairy realm. Times works differently in this magical place, and Lancelot goes through the reverse anime process of actually-being-a-child-in-the-body-of-an-adult, cause he grows up to full adulthood in just 3 years. Since Lancelot's lonely, his fairy god-mother kidnaps his cousins, Bors and Lionel, to keep him company.

Fairies are not big on consent.

Lancelot learns all kind of fairy tricks and he becomes a mighty warrior; "Lady" must be her first name, since Lancelot becomes Lancelot "of the Lake" after her. It is unsure what the name "Lancelot" means but, depending on the source, it may be related to the welsh word for "Lake" (resulting in the incredible "Lake of the Lake" name), the old English words for "pride" and "cloak" or the French word "L'Ancelot", meaning "The Servant" - to the Lady; other sources have him get his name from his real grandfather, once he discovers his real identity. Whatever his name means, Lancelot gets back into the real world, where he gets into all kind of knight-errand adventures.

What the real world looked like back then.

After a while Lancelot, under the assumed name of "White Knight", gets to Arthur's kingdom with the Lady of the Lake to be knighted by the king at her behest. The Lady gives him a powerful magic ring able to dispel any enchantment - he also gets a shitload of other arcane items, including a magical tent (!!!) that we can only assume was able to keep ants out of his PB&Js. Lancelot runs into Arthur - without recognizing the king - and, as a 7 years old armed to the teeth is meant to do, immediately picks a fight with him. Once the confusion is dispelled, though, the King makes him a Knight of the Round Table posthaste and leads him to his court.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find a picture of them fighting, so here are some male models with swords. Also HOLY poo poo, that's Billy Bones.

Almost immediately upon his arrival, Lancelot and the young Queen Guinevere fall in love through a strange magical connection between them; this may or may not be realated to the fact that Lancelot suffers from some kind of magical PTSD from his time in the fairy realm, causing recurring fits of madness, especially "in the presence of sexually charged women" or whenever he receives the false or real news of the death of his friends.

Lancelot and Guinevere

Things are made worse when Elaine, the Fisher's King daughter, tricks Lancelots (assuming Guinevere's looks) and sleeps with him; she gets pregnant and the boy will become The Good Knight, Galahad - but for now, it just means more misery for Lancelot, who runs away and lives in the forest for 2 or 5 years. Because of his repeated adultery, Lancelot will be denied the Grail, although his son Galahad is eventually able to find it.

Ye olde Top-of-ye-Towereth, i nev'r though t couldst befall to me.

After his failure in the Grail quest, Lancelot tries to live a chaste life, angering Guinevere who sends him away, although they soon reconcile and resume their relationship as it was before Elaine and Galahad. When the truth is finally revealed to Arthur by Morgaine, it leads to the death of three of Gawain's brothers (Agravain, Gaheris and Gareth) when Lancelot with his family and followers arrive to violently save Guinevere from being burned at the stake and slaughter the men sent by Arthur to guard the execution. The massacre of Arthur's relatives sets in motion the events leading to the treason by Mordred and the disappearance and apparent death of Arthur. There are several versions of Lancelot's final demise, but most of them have him live the rest of his life away from society, as a hermit monk.

None of the classic stories can explain this, though. So many questions.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 1, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Expedition Log posted:

Tasks:
- find who tried to repair the Menhir at the First Farmhold.
- find where the hermits went.
- reach the Tomb of the Order with the Excalibur's scabbard.
- rebuild the Round Table; help most of its knights achieve their goals.
Active Menhirs: Titans' Steps (115), 0 days left. Dark Morass (140) 4 days left.
Guardians: None!

Vote results posted:

1. Mortal enemies - we are "Keeping the Knights as our allies" (A).
  2. Morgaine's request - we "Do not agree to Morgaine's request. Stick with the Lady" (A).
  3. Exploration - Hunt in Tangleroot (A) and move to Broch Cruach and Explore (B).
Today's Event:

Maggot immediately takes advantage of the Good Weather and moves to Tangleroot for 0 Energy, then spends 2 (current: to Gather Food.

That's not a boar posted:

Welcome to Level 3 Encounters! Opportunist means that, every time we can't play 2 cards in our Round, we'll suffer the Opportunity Attack penalty - 3 unavoidable damage, in this case. Slow means that we can draw 1 extra card at the start of the Combat and at the end of each Round. This is going to get messy.

That's a lot of cubes we have to pile up before we run out of cards or we die.
- We spend 1 Magic and play Hex, gaining 4 .
- We spend another Magic (1 left) and play War Magic, suffering 1 but gaining 2 more . Unfortunately, we couldn't connect the top Aggression on War Magic, meaning that we can't activate the Clansword.
- The Giant Runtling attacks. We block 1 damage with our Armor, so we suffer 1 and lose 1
- At the end of the Round, we draw Attack and Battle Cry.

- We play Attack and gain 3 .
- We chain off Battle Cry (we don't spend Magic here) to avoid the Opportunist damage and we draw 1 card - Powerful Blow. Unfortunately, it is kind of a dead card, unless we use it as a finisher - since we can only play it as the first card, and playing another card would cover it's delayed effect.
- We use Now or Never to fish for something better and we get Heroic Strike.
- We have 4 cards in hand, so we would have to discard something. We activate the Clansword and discard Powerful Blow to deal 2 more .
- The Giant attacks. We block the damage with Battle Cry, but we lose 2

- We play our new Combat Card, Heroic Strike. We lose 1 , but gain 5 (4 from the keys and 1 from our single point in Courage).
- We chain Reposition to avoid the Opportunist trigger.
- We discard Hold Guard to activate the Clansword and we are now at 17 .
- The Giant attacks and we suffer 1 and lose 1 .
- We draw Charge and Entangling Trap. We now only have 3 cards left in our deck.

- Luckily for us, Charge is enough for us to win!

Maggot has suffered 2 and lost 1 , but for defeating the Giant Runtling he got 4+2 Food (current: 6) and 1 Exp (current: 1). Maggot spends 1 (current: 2) to move back to Titans' Steps.

It's time for Ailei to have a look North. Entering the Quiet Burough for free, she triggers a Blue Encounter. Using her newfound Skill, Foresight, she is able to pick a Calm before the Storm event and avoids any troubles. At this point, Maggot meets her here (1 Energy left) and they split the Food more or less evenly (current: A4, M3).
Finally, Ailei spends 1 (current: 6) and moves to Broch Cruach (136).
New Locations revealed:
- 135, Bundorca

Exploration: Broch Cruach (136) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:5).
Intro:

Well, this is different. We don't have 2 Spirituality (and Maggot doesn't have enough Energy to move here and tag in), so we don't get the Call from Beyond. In fact, there are only a couple of options we can do today, here.

A Companion is a class of "Items" - we can only have one "equipped" at the same time on each character. 5 Wealth is quite expensive, but Companions usually have nice passive effects.

This place is officially weird. We'll vote on what to do here next.
Based on what we decide to do in Broch Cruach, we'll have 4 or 3 left - enough to Travel to Bundorca (135) and see what happens around there.
New Locations revealed:
- 134, Falfuar

When we enter this place, we activate Foresight and choose between 2 Blue Encounters:

Both of these have dangerous effects, but Hallucinations is way better than Slighted Nobleman - its Affinity choices are "one OR the other", while we would have to complete BOTH Affinity challanges in a row to win the second Encounter.

Diplomacy - Hallucinations posted:

The color scale on the "To Win" and "Current" tracker is wrong, but you can check the correct one on the Encounter card itself.

This is a good example of how powerful Ailei can be in Blue encouters, with the right draw.
- We play Misdirection and gain 2 .
- We chain Desperate Measures and, since the Affinity tracker is still on the Red, we gain 2 more .
- We pay 1 Magic to chain off Empathise and gain 2 once again.
- We win!

We regain the Magic poing we have spent, plus 1 more (current: 6); we also gain 1 Exp (current: 2). Then, depending if we have 1+ Energy left, we have a look at what we can do in this place.

Exploration: Bundorca (135) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:X).
Intro:

We don't have the Diplomatic Mission Status, so we are forced to go to 1.
Verse 1:

It's unfortunate that Maggot is not here, so we only gain 1 Food on Ailei (current: 5). We can safely end our day by going to Verse 9, since we will either bank some Energy or be exactly at 2, depending on our previous choices.
Verse 9:

We could vote on rekindling the Menhir in Bundorca immediately, but I guess we probably want a better understanding of what's going on before doing so, especially since there is another Menhir icon in Falfuar.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, gains 1 Magic (current: 7). Energy is set to X.
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 2 . Energy is set to full (6).
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 2.
- Maggot current Exp is 1.
Dream:
- No dream in either location!
Tomorrow's Event:

EDIT: and this is when I realize that Ailei is going to be stranded into the Wyrdness tomorrow morning - cause I thought the Menhir in Titans' Steps had 1 more day to burn. Unfortunately, this would mean replaying the entire update, which is not really feasible for me. I'm sorry :( Since this is an error in the party's favor, I'm not going to retcon it. We'll vote on a possible solution.

:siren::siren::siren:
VOTE IS NOW OPEN
:siren::siren::siren:

Vote Options posted:

1. TIG Big Bad Fuckup - we'll have to get creative.
    1. "Remotely" rekindle the Menhir in Titans' Steps. We will pay the resources (2 Energy and 2 Magic per player) and call it a day.
    2. Prolong the Menhir in Titans' Steps duration by 1. We will have to rekindle a Menhir in either Bundorca or Falfuar tomorrow if we want to stay up North.
    3. gently caress it - we keep the error. Ailei loses 2 Health, gains 2 Terror and is teleported to the quiet Burough. We then move to Titans' Steps and light that up.
    4. Other - please specify what.

2. To Ransom a prisoner - the "traveler" in Broch Cruach may free a Companion if we pay 5 Wealth (current A:5, M:2).
    1. Accept.
    2. Deny.

3. A dwarf's proposal - everything is so weird. Apparently the dwarf is offering his help against the Fore-Dwellers? But also apparently, dwarves are untrustworthy?
    1. The traveller accepts.
    2. The traveller tries to destroy the dwarf.

4. Exploration - please note that every non-Settlement exploration will cost 1 Energy more. Vote as many as you'd like, in order of preference.
    1. Broch Cruach (136) - what's left. Maggot may also trigger the Call from Beyond status.
    2. Bundorca (135).
    3. Falfuar (134).
    4. Hunt some more in Tangleroot.
    5. Other - specify what.

5. Ailei deck advancement - we have had a couple of stat advancements for Ailei, so we're back to improving our deck instead. Do we improve:
    1. The Combat Deck.
    2. The Diplomacy Deck.

pre:

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 2, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1C - other solutions would be fine, but this is what should happen by the rules and frankly by accident is usually the only way it would come up.
2B - companions are nice but that's an expensive way to get one and many companions have an ongoing cost. Too soon, I think.
3B - don't trust the creepy dwarf
5B - I'd vote Combat if it were going to happen before vote 3, but, well. It isn't. And we're still working on making her primary deck strong.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Some of us had mentioned wanting to relight Titan's Steps, so I don't think we should be penalized.

1A/1D Pay resources 2 energy + 2 magic to relight Titan's Steps AND make Ailei pay 2 more energy beyond that since she'd have to step in and out of Titan's Steps. This could leave her exhausted, if Maggot doesn't have the energy reserves, but at least she doesn't get reset to Quiet Burough.

Oh, and we can leave Maggot in Titan's Steps if that helps save an energy. Since they meet up there instead of Quiet Burough, that's where they can do their food exchange.

2A I don't know much about companions, but it seems fine to have a tag along, especially if we can transfer them between party members.

I don't know anything about dwarves (and need to re-read that section since I didn't understand what was going on.)

Have Maggot get to Bundorca since we are lighting Bundorca. Sorry diplo mission, but we really need to see what's at 155. I think it's important to our quest to meet the knights and deliver stuff.

I feel like we should do something about the First Farmhold too at some point. We've got too much going on.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 2, 2020

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
A companion does not qualify as a player for the purposes of menhirs and such, correct? Do you ever have to pay any kind of upkeep for them?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Domus posted:

A companion does not qualify as a player for the purposes of menhirs and such, correct? Do you ever have to pay any kind of upkeep for them?

They are not a player. They are considered an item, actually. You quite frequently have to pay upkeep for them, especially human ones.

(Well, the ones from the item deck are. There may be Secret cards that occupy the Companion slot, and those would count as Secrets.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1A
2B
3A
4A
5B

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
1A Because you were running stuff, we didn’t really have a chance to point out the error. So let’s pretend we noticed it. I’m okay with “charging” us the extra two energy.
2B We’ve not really got the extra supplies for upkeep.
3A Let’s not fight any more than we have to. Too bad we can’t just decline.
4C Unless we’re exhausted, or it would make us exhausted.
5B Diplomacy is her thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-update recap

Votes so far posted:

1. TIG Big Bad Fuckup - "Remotely" rekindle the Menhir in Titans' Steps, paying the resources (A/D) has the lead so far; but it's not a massive lead, and there are votes to keep things as they are (C) as well. This is an important vote and, since there are other options that are tied, I'd like to keep the vote open for now, so that everyone is happy with the outcome.
  2. To Ransom a prisoner - we are probably not going to free a prisoner.
  3. A dwarf's proposal - everything is so weird. Apparently the dwarf is offering his help against the Fore-Dwellers? But also apparently, dwarves are untrustworthy? Right now accepting the dwarf's proposal (A) has a small lead.
  4. Exploration - this is probably highly dependent on vote 1, but I'm going to use this vote as a general indication for the next couple of days, if needed so please vote on it :) At the moment there is a tie between Broch Cruach (A) and Falfuar (C).
  5. Ailei deck advancement - getting an advancement for the Diplomacy Deck seems to be the consensus, so please pick one of these:

Additional art from Bundorca (135)

The fabled Travelling Menhir? Also, the physical Exploration Journal is a big spiral coil binder, as you can see on the right.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Fuckup - Rekindle the Menhir in Titans' Steps, paying the resources, but also pay the energy amount that Ailei would have spent if she had dropped by before going north, even if this leaves Ailei exhausted.

To Ransom a prisoner - Nope, too expensive.
A dwarf's proposal - All Dwarves are Bastards.
Exploration - Falfuar .
Ailei deck advancement: Hide your fears looks OK.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sympathize for Ailei. Hide Your Fears is slightly more chainable but a trefoil on Empathy is much more valuable than a trefoil on Spirituality (which she doesn't have), and a free key up arrow can potentially be comboed with a multiplier, which I think more than makes up for the off chance that we'd give Maggot a card as well with Hide your Fears. Simple Truth just isn't as good as either, IMO.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Agree with Sympathize. Given Ailei's stat spread, the other two don't work as well for her.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A big announcement
Hey everyone, I have great news (and not so great ones). The TIG's family is about to grow 1 unit! We are also moving to a new home in the following week(s). As you can imagine, I'm super excited about everything...but this also means that my reserve of spare time is going to be shrunk massively for a (long) while. The question "why did you start this LP if you knew you were going to be gone in a few months?" is legitimate, but I was honestly expecting to be able to streamline the update process much more than this - as it has happened for my other LPs - but I was so far unable to: the flow of the "turns" is not linear, so i can't quite easily script/spreadsheet my way through it, filling variables here and there; this also means that I have to pay way closer attention to what's going on, since there are often small things (or...larger ones, like my latest mistake has shown) that could have massive ripple effects if done wrong.

All together this means that, while I'm able to crank out a StepB Gloomhaven update in 30ish minutes, every main update for TG eats up at least 2h of my spare time, and that is going to be at a premium for the foreseable future. I've never abandoned/canceled an in-progress LP before, but I don't think I'll have the bandwidth to do Tainted Grail justice for at least several months. My plan is not to abandon this indefinitely - I would like to resume the game once I'll have enough time to do this properly. Please note that, while I want to resume the LP whenever possible, this may be quite some time.

Maggot and Ailei are going to be stranded in the Wyrdness on their own for a while; apologies and thank you to everyone who was playing and I hope you'll understand.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 7, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Congratulations! Bit sad to lose this thread but that's the way it goes.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Take as long as you need, and more importantly as long as the kid needs.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Goontratulations. And goondolences to your sleep schedule for the next 2 years.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Congratulations! The game was fun to follow, but no worries if you can't complete it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the support :)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What? Not going to let us vote on what to do with the baby?
You should totally Let's Play what to do with the kid.

Congratulations, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Congrats TIG!! When next you update, I will try to vote!