Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Mirror Lake (A 113), Titans' Steps (M 115)
Tasks: "find who tried to repair the Menhir at the First Farmhold.
- find where the hermits went.
- reach the Tomb of the Order with the Excalibur's scabbard."
Active Menhirs: Whitening (107), 4 days left.,
Guardians: none!

Well, actually...we're not here yet.

Vote results posted:

1. Gawain's Quest: We are going to accept the task to bring Excalibur's Scabbard to the Tombs of the Order.
  2. Rest of the Day: We are going to send Ailei to the Mirror Lake and Maggot to the Titans' Steps to get a free or "free" Exploration for both.
  3. Next Location to Explore: the Mirror Lake (C), then Tangleroot if we have time since the Derelict Fleet is probably too far away today.
We mark down Part 4 of the Restore the Order Status and we receive Secret Card 95:

Charming.

- Maggot spends 1 (current:0) to travel North and regroups momentarily with Ailei. He also explores location 115 for free. Unfortunately, the "state" change is set the opposite way for this location - meaning that we can only interact with the temple if there is a Dial on it, and there is a dial no more. We have already seen the other 2 options with Ailei; hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I could have saved 1 Energy on Ailei and have Maggot explore one of the other Verses instead.

- Ailei spends 2 (current:2) to travel to Mirror Lake, then immediately uses the OP Location Action to recover 1 (current:3); she also loses 1 (current: 0). Then she uses her newfound strenght to Explore the Location.

Exploration: Mirror Lake (113) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:2).
Intro:

The art for several locations is cropped very poorly in the Exploration Journal; here's what the full art for this location is like:

There's also additional art in the Exploration Journal for every Location - sketches and annotations. I'll post the relevant ones in the mini-updates recaps from now on. For now, let's try to have a chat with the Lady of the Lake?

Verse 1:

Bollocks.
We have reached the end of the previous day! Time to start the new one for good. We immediately use the Scabbard on Maggot to trade 1 for 1 . We have very little Energy on Maggot today, so Ailei is going to have to do most of the heavy lifting.

Exploration: Mirror Lake (113) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:6).
Intro:

This time, let's swim to the center of the lake. Has to be invigorating!
Verse 2:

...or not. At least, we've found a weird bone-island and a soggy scroll!

Spooky. We immediately use the OP Location action again to undo the extra Energy and Terror cost for this. "Hunting" probably means a Green Encounter and Ailei is not going to be able to take any Level 2s, so let's regroup with Maggot in Tangleroot instead.

- Each party member spends 1 (current A:5, M:2). There's Good Weather today so the first Travel is free!

Exploration: Tangleroot (114) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:5).
Intro:

Let's see if there is someone to talk to at the lodge.
Verse 5:

We do have 1 Caution. Weird.
Verse 9:

Ah nice, it's the "Avalon ChainMagicsaw Massacre" type of lodge. Well, we can't defeat them, but we may be able to talk them down.

Verse 318 (BoS):

Ah, so it was more of a Mad Max situation instead. Ailei gains 1 Exp (current: 3). Let's have a look at the gorge now.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:4).
Verse 2:

We don't have that Status, so we have to go to the secret Verse.
Verse 435(BoS):

A damsel in distress? This sounds like a job for the Uncanny Druidman!
- Maggot spends 1 (current:2) and tags-in!
Verse 410 (BoS):

This is not great. The Wyrdbear is scary enough for a Level 2 Encounter, and we have a time limit, albeit a generous one.

The time limit means that Ailei has to go soon.
- We play Careful Attack, so we can take at least 1 combat Round before fleeing, if necessary. We gain 2 and get some defenses up.
- We end up only losing 1 in the exchange.
- We draw Defend. The Dial ticks down to 4.

It's Maggot's turn.
- We play War Magic and gain 1 and 2
- We use the Clansword to discard Hold Guard and gain 2 more
- The Wyrdbear retaliates, we block 1 damage with our Improvised Armor. We lose 1 and 1 .
- We draw Charge at the end of the Round. The Dial ticks down to 3.

It's Ailei's turn.
- We resolve War Magic's effect and gain 2 .
- We play Reposition and leave combat, preventing the Opportunity Attack. This makes the bear skip its attack, which has 2 nice implications: we avoid the Attack from the bear, preventing damage and marker loss; and, since the bear has skipped the Attack phase, we avoid the Dial ticking down.

- Maggot plays Charge and the wyrdbear is down for the count.

We also gain 1 Food each (current A:5, M:4)
Verse 342 (BoS):

We'll vote on that! In the meantime, let's spend our last Energy for the day. After resolving this, Ailei Explores once more.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:3).
Verse 2:

Let's go down the main road this time.
Verse 3:

We have 1 Caution and we have the Status, so we only fail with a roll of 1. As customary in these circumstances, we roll a 6 :v:
Verse 6:

Nope.
Verse 12:

Well that was a waste of time.
We'll stop here for the Day.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to full (7)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Energy is set to full (6)
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 2.
- Maggot current Exp is 5.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Grail! No Nightmares tonight.

Tomorrow's Event:

Purple Encounters...bad. Extra Magic...good!
:siren::siren::siren:
VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Cosuil - are we going to:
    1. Convincer her to abandon her quest.
    2. Teach her some wilderness survival skills.

2. Menhir in Titans' Steps: most votes in the past have been to explore more before rekindling it. But tomorrow's event means a 1 Magic discount, so should we:
    1. Rekindle it tomorrow, saving 1 Magic.
    2. Finish Exploring Tangleroot, then explore the Derelict Fleet instead. We will face a Purple Encounter with the Full Moon buff in the First Farmhold.
    3. Other - specify what.

3. Potential Level up we are, potentially, 1 Exp away on both characters from a level up. If we gain enough Exp resolving the encounter, should we (vote one option per character):
    1. Gain 1 Practicality on Ailei.
    2. Gain 1 Spirituality on Ailei.
    3. Other for Ailei.
    4. Gain 1 Aggression on Maggot - and get an Aggression Skill (which one)
    5. Gain 1 Spirituality on Maggot - and get a Spirituality Skill (which one)
    6. Gain 1 Practicality on Maggot.
    7. Other for Maggot.
E:Here's the skill list

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Ah. Excalibur is more Cradle of Filth than Manowar in this universe, I see.

Votes :
1) Convincing her to Just Give Up might land us the Necronomicon or it might not, training her seems like it'll let us meet her again down the road. A metagaming B (besides, I get a kick out of Ailei telling that poor woman "man you suck at fighting, here let me show you how it's done" and immediately injuring herself with the dear bear)
2) A and C. C being : hunt here first, maybe the purple critter will net us XP or Magic ; and in either case we'll get some food. Maggot has just enough energy to tag along on a fight here then move to Giant's Steps, whereupon he can be the Magic battery while Ailei does all the parts of the ritual that invole moving about and not being a lazy sack of poo poo.
3) Practicality 2 on Ailei ; Aggression 2 (and Now or Never) on Maggot

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 7, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arthur, the gently caress did you do to Avalon?

1) B - recurring side character to help every now and then
2) B - explore explore explore. I'd tell someone jot down the Lady's request but those seem to be obvious endgame quests.
3) A and D - I've been proposing to bump Ailiei's practicality from the start, and Maggot should be our dedicated facewrecker. Where was the skills list again?

E:Here's the skill list

E2: Now or never for Maggot holy poo poo did anyone read that skill?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 7, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

Where was the skills list again?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2385090/tainted-grail-skill-guide
Might as well link it at the bottom of posts ?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

It's in the OP but yeah, I should have added it to this post too :) edited it in now!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Omobono posted:

1) B - recurring side character to help every now and then
2) B - explore explore explore. I'd tell someone jot down the Lady's request but those seem to be obvious endgame quests.
3) A and D - I've been proposing to bump Ailiei's practicality from the start, and Maggot should be our dedicated facewrecker. Where was the skills list again?

E2: Now or never for Maggot

I agree with these choices.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1B - having her give up might be safer for her, but it's not very interesting and we probably wouldn't get much out of our valiant bear-slaying that way.
2C Continue exploring Tangleroot, then either light the new menhir and head on, or go talk to the Lady if we manage to get any of the things she'll talk to you about. 1 magic isn't much to be fussed about with human Magic battery Maggot around, whereas it would be a waste to light it while we're still poking around in Tangleroot.
3A and 3D or E. Getting Practicality on Ailei will be good. Now or Never is good, but I think the skill guide writer is underestimating Monstrous Strength and Exertion, which were hugely helpful in my previous game. That said, they were great for Beor - Maggot might not get so much from them. I think he also misses that playing with your next card face up (one step ahead) combos very well with Now or Never and/or Exertion (the latter because a bunch of time token effects draw cards). We should also strongly consider Spirituality and Power of Ages. Getting an extra turn on every Menhir dial for 98% of the game is pretty excellent. Asceticism or Communion look like strong second choices in that category.

I would also generally vote for doing a bit of deck advancement with XP after these skill-ups. I think the skill guide writer is maybe a bit overemphasizing the amount that doing so helps over encounter-related skills, but there are some bad cards in the starting deck that we should replace with good ones before we get *too* skill-happy. I especially dislike the ones that have you toss a dial - they're super risky and not worth the risk, and in the physical game the dials are actually weighted such that we literally 100% of the time got a skull when we were tossing them. We switched to a 1-3/4-6 dieroll instead.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

malkav11 posted:

I especially dislike the ones that have you toss a dial - they're super risky and not worth the risk, and in the physical game the dials are actually weighted such that we literally 100% of the time got a skull when we were tossing them. We switched to a 1-3/4-6 dieroll instead.
Those Cards are usually quite bad, yes - we almost never want to risk it unless it's a desperate situation to begin with...and even then, I tend to only play them if the negative outcome would be inconsequential (IE: we would become "dying" even without the negative outcome) OR if it's a 50/50 to win and the alternative negative effects are worse. So 90% of the time they are dead cards.

I would not have the weird weight/balance problem when tossing a dial on TTS, but I forgot to scan the Grail face so I'm always use a d6 and having odds/evens outcomes instead :effort:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1b Do you want to go on a quest y
2c Modest food gathering in Tangleroot. I don't think we are in too much of a rush at the moment.
3A/F Looking to get pickpocket on Aliel, in the future. Lots and lots of practicality on combat cards, and not much hope of getting rid of them all.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Votes :
1) Convincing her to Just Give Up might land us the Necronomicon or it might not, training her seems like it'll let us meet her again down the road. A metagaming B (besides, I get a kick out of Ailei telling that poor woman "man you suck at fighting, here let me show you how it's done" and immediately injuring herself with the dear bear)
2) A and C. C being : hunt here first, maybe the purple critter will net us XP or Magic ; and in either case we'll get some food. Maggot has just enough energy to tag along on a fight here then move to Giant's Steps, whereupon he can be the Magic battery while Ailei does all the parts of the ritual that invole moving about and not being a lazy sack of poo poo.
3) Practicality 2 on Ailei ; Aggression 2 (and Now or Never) on Maggot

I'd like to vote the same way as this.

Now or Never is amazing. Free card draw works very well with the clan sword and is always helpful in diplo encounters.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I would also generally vote for doing a bit of deck advancement with XP after these skill-ups. I think the skill guide writer is maybe a bit overemphasizing the amount that doing so helps over encounter-related skills, but there are some bad cards in the starting deck that we should replace with good ones before we get *too* skill-happy. I especially dislike the ones that have you toss a dial - they're super risky and not worth the risk, and in the physical game the dials are actually weighted such that we literally 100% of the time got a skull when we were tossing them. We switched to a 1-3/4-6 dieroll instead.

Risky attack isn't too bad once you get some decent chains in the deck because the positive result (2 cubes) happens instantly but the negative result (+2 damage) is only a problem if you don't chain off it. Its bigger problem is that it's also a pain in the rear end to chain off in the early game because both the aggression and practicality keys have double-skill requirements...

I also switched to the dice after my first coinflip - the plastic dials are almost weightless and nearly impossible to actually flip! :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 8, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Stickman posted:

Risky attack isn't too bad once you get some decent chains in the deck because the positive result (2 cubes) happens instantly but the negative result (+2 damage) is only a problem if you don't chain off it. Its bigger problem is that it's also a pain in the rear end to chain off in the early game because both the aggression and practicality keys have double-skill requirements...
Our main issue trying to chain off Risky Attack is that most "play another card" lightning symbols are usually on Courage and Practicality; Risky Attack lacks the Courage connector and we don't have 2 Practicality. Aggression keys usually have markers on them. Someone like Arev is a lot better suited to use something like this.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-update recap

Vote Results posted:

1. Cosuil: We are almost certainly going to teach her some survival skills. We will spend 1 and gain the Status "Cosuil 1". No other effect atm.
  2. Menhir in Titans' Steps: At the moment there is a small lead for rekindling the Menhir straight away (after some light hunting in Tangleroot), but everything could change since the difference between the two options is just 1 vote!
  3. Potential Level up: whenever we gain 1 Exp, we'll get 1 point of Practicality on Ailei and 1 Point of Aggression on Maggot (possibly gaining the Skill "Now or Never").
As promised, I'll post some of the additional art from the Exploration Journal during these mini-updates.

Location 113 - Mirror Lake

The Lady of the Lake? Why does she have...4 arms?

Location 117 - First Farmhold

Our good friend, the wyrm.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1. B

2. A

3. AD

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Just a heads up everyone: I'll have a couple of super busy days today and tomorrow at work, so unfortunately we'll have to wait a couple of days for the next update :) Transmissions will resume normally on Wednesday! This may be a lie. Stay tuned!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 9, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Just a heads up everyone: I'll have a couple of super busy days today and tomorrow at work, so unfortunately we'll have to wait a couple of days for the next update :) Transmissions will resume normally on Wednesday!
My pants must be on fire.

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Tangleroot (114)
Active Menhirs: Whitening (107), 3 days left.,
Guardians: None.

Let's see what you people have voted for.

Vote Results posted:

1. Cosuil: We are going to teach her some survival skills. Maggot will spend 1 (recovering up to 5) and we gain the Status "Cosuil 1". No other effect atm.
  2. Menhir in Titans' Steps: we are going to rekindle the Menhir straight away (after some light hunting in Tangleroot) to take advantage of the Full Moon.
  3. Potential Level up: whenever we gain 1 Exp, we'll get 1 point of Practicality on Ailei and 1 Point of Aggression on Maggot (gaining the Skill "Now or Never").
Today's Event is:

Before we start playing with matches, let's hunt some dinner.
- Each party member spends 1 (current A:7, M:4).

Combat - Dobhar-Chu posted:

Also known as "That loving Lizard". Ambush means that the first character in combat will have to discard down to 1 card in hand. Defensive means that the first Combat card of the activation adds 1 less ; finally, Feint means that all the damage inflicted by this monster with attacks cannot be prevented.

- We start with Ailei and we immediately discard Outsmart and Gather Thoughts due to Ambush.
- We play Surprise Attack, but our gain is prevented by Defensive.
- The lizard attacks us and we suffer 1 damage. At the end of the Round, we draw Careful Attack.

- It's Maggot's turn. We activate Surprise Attack's delayed effect and we draw Charge.
- We immediately play Charge and gain 3 , reduced to 2 by Defensive.
- We play Defensive Posture and discard Risky Attack to activate the Clansword. We gain 2 more .
- The lizard attacks us. We prevent the lost of , but we suffer 1 damage on Maggot.

- Back to Ailei. She would lose 1 HP if we play Careful Attack, dropping our Energy by 1 in the process (since you can never have more Energy than Health). To avoid that, we Escape from Combat. We end up losing 1 Energy anyway due to the Opportunity Attack, but at least we save 1 HP. What's more, the Lizard doesn't attack, so our pile is intact.

- Back to Maggot. We play Careful Attack and, even with the Defensive buff, we have enough to kill That loving Lizard.

And that's the reason why that Encounter is called That loving Lizard, kids! Seriously though, we have lost 2 Health and 1 Energy to win against an Encounter Level 6 monster. At least we have gained 4 Food, 2 each (current A:6, M:5). With that resolved, let's travel to Titans' Steps and light some fires!
- Each party member spends 1 (current A:6, M:3).

Rekindling a Menhir - Titans' Steps posted:

- Ailei spends 4 (current:2).
- Maggot spends 3 Magic thanks to the Full Moon event effect (current:1).

Menhir Rekindled! New Location revealed: Plagued Borough (138).

Again, charming.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to full (7)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Well Rested! Energy is set to full+1 (7)
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 3.
Dream:
- No dreams in this Location!
Tomorrow's Event is, once again:

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

• Exploration! Not much else to vote on today :) What should our next destination be? (Vote just one if you want our party to stick together, or 2 if you want to split up)
    1. Derelict Fleet (119): whoever goes that way, will have to resolve a Purple Encounter in the First Farmhold first.
    2. Plagued Borough (138): there is a mandatory Diplomacy Encounter on this location.
    3. Whatever is North (136): this will also reveal more of the map, if any is present.
    4. Whatever is South-East (140): whoever goes that way, will have to resolve a Purple Encounter in the First Farmhold first.
    5. Other: please specify what.
A quick reminder on how map exploration works: we will not reveal anything unless there is a "Travel Arrow" between locations - for example, we can't reveal what's above Titans' Steps, if there is something there, cause there is no travel arrow in between. So travelling to the Plagued Borough won't reveal location 140, for example.

EDIT: as a reminder, tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the Railroad Ink game we have going over here :)

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 9, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ailei to 138, Maggot to somewhere south. 140 probably. Give the teleport scroll to Maggot

Let's see, Kamelot is either 136 or 190.
We've got time, so we should probably hook and explore the north after 138.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Tangleroot encounters for hunting would be purple encounters today - look at the text of Full Moon. So, not the Dobhar-Chiu.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

malkav11 posted:

The Tangleroot encounters for hunting would be purple encounters today - look at the text of Full Moon. So, not the Dobhar-Chiu.

Ah crap :doh: you are right of course (someone even mentioned this in between updates I think).

As said before, it's going to be hard for me to go back and re-play the Encounter right now. We can swap a generic Green Encounter for a generic Purple one next time we'll have to face one to balance things out. Alternatively I guess we could just handwave it away and gain 1 Magic and 2 Food instead of 4 Food and keep everything else the same.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Only three days left to visit the Derelict Fleet so let's do that first. Judging by the map, Kamelot is most definitely 190 while 136 looks like it'll be that jut of rock/arch connecting to the northern lands.
I wish we could also slot some time for Maggot to eat some of his 'shrooms, 1 Magic is definitely too little. Maybe he stays in the First Farmhold this turn after exploding whatever's going to attack us there and jerks off while Ailei goes further south ?

Also the Plagued Borrough sounds like a neat place to catch the Red Plague, why don't we delay saying hi to those fine folks until Maggot has Now or Never and let him do the talking/exporation, hmm ? Can't catch what you already got !

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Just to double check, That loving Lizard is probably the worst lvl 2 green encounter, yes?
Handwave it and give 1 magic to Ailei.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Just to double check, That loving Lizard is probably the worst lvl 2 green encounter, yes?
Ehh, I would say there's at least 1 that is worse, but it's definitely not one I'm super happy to see.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We haven't finished exploring Tangleroot and should really do that at some point.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Swap the next green encounter for a purple.

B Lets all go get the plague.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Instead of the 2 food reward, draw a purple card and give us that reward. Keep our other losses the same. Or for simplicity, just make the reward 1 magic.

Go to 138 to see what 136 is. Hopefully 136 is Kamelot. I want to go to Kamelot, and I think it is NE from our crude starting map.

No opinion over whether Maggot goes with Ailei or not.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-update Recap

Votes so far posted:

1. Our next destination: So far, option B - Plagued Borough (138) is ahead of the competition, with Derelict Fleet (A) and Mystery Location 140 (D) trailing 2 votes behind.
  2. I'm colorblind for Encounters: the leading option is to remove 2 Food, add 1 Magic over replacing the next Green Encounter with a Purple one.

Mini-lorepost: Excalibur Scabbard

Excalibur Scabbard posted:

For some reason, the first GIS match for "Excalibur's scabbard" is something out of Sonic the Edgehog's wiki :allears:

Everyone knows about King Arthur's magical sword, Soulcalibur Glamdring Excalibur; not everyone is aware that its scabbard was said to held even more powerful magics. In fact, when Arthur explains that he is more fond of the sword, Merlin rebukes him:

quote:

"Ye are the more unwise," said Merlin, "for the scabbard is worth ten of the sword. While ye have the scabbard upon you, ye shall never lose any blood, be ye ever so sorely wounded. Therefore always keep the scabbard with you."
According to several version of the Arthurian saga, Excalibur's scabbard could (your experience may vary):
- make its bearer impervious to any wound.
- prevent any wound from bleeding.
- save its bearer from mortal wounds.
Such is the importance of the scabbard that it is central in Le Morte d'Arthur. In this story, the king's half-sister Morgause/Morgan Le Fay is trying to kill Arthur; her first plot involves stealing Excalibur, giving the sword to her lover - the knight Accolon - and using a spell to compel him to duel and slay Arthur (now armed with a fake Excalibur). Accolon dies, failing to kill the king, since he is protected by the power of the scabbard. Only when Morgause steals the scabbard and throws it into a lake she is able to seal Arthur's fate when he goes on to face Mordred.

Additional art from Titans' Steps (115)

A mystical zippo sacred vase from the temple of the Allmother.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 25, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Titans' Steps (115)
Active Menhirs: Whitening (107) 2 days left, Titans' Steps (115) 6 days left.
Guardians: None!

Vote results posted:

1. Our next destination: We're going to the Plagued Borough (138)!
  2. I'm colorblind for Encounters: we are removing 2 Food and adding 1 Magic to fix the mixup with the Encounters.

Today's Event:

As suggested by the thread, we will Explore first with Maggot to asses the Red Death levels. We are going to send Ailei ahead to face the Blue Encounter though - since this is drawn from a deck and not tied to the location. Also, we're moving the Shadow-Soaked Scroll to Maggot, since he has less Energy than Ailei and he is usually the one wandering off the beaten path.

Travel posted:

- We are Travelling to Location 138, Plagued Borough. Ailei spends 0 Energy thanks to the Good Weather Event (current: 7).
New Locations revealed:
- 136, Broch Cruach.

Diplomacy - Press Gang posted:

We are going to have to outtalk a bunch of slavers, it seems. Actually...we will not be able to do that, since we lack Spirituality and we will, at best, be able on average to gain 2 , with a good possibility of only getting 1 (and losing 2). We will have to try to Escape from them using Caution, even if the negative effect will cost us Energy. We have to win fast.

Our starting hand is ok, but not great. Connecting
- We play Stall for Time and do exctly that.
- We ignore the enemy retaliation and remove Stall for Time from the sequence.
- We draw Desperate Measures.

- We play Desperate Measures and, since the tracker was on the Gray square, we gain 2 .
- The slavers retaliate and we lose 1 and 1 .
- We draw Misdirection.

- We play Sweet Lies and gain 1 , then Misdirection and we gain 2 more. We have won!

It costed us 1 (current A:6), but we have gained 1 Exp(current A:4), 1 Rep (current A:6) and 1 Wealth (current A:3). Ailei has now enough Exp to advance her Practicality to 2!
- Maggot spends 0 (current:7) and moves to the Plagued Borough, then he Explores.

Exploration: Plagued Burough (138) posted:

- Maggot spends 1 (current:6).
Intro:

The place seems...safe enough, for a Plagued Burough. Before calling Ailei in, though, let's see what's inside.
Verse 4:

We don't have any of those Statuses, so we are free to choose. I'll try to give the thread as much info as possible, so our expenditure will change based on who we're willing to talk to/aid. If we decide to approach the rebels:
Verses 2 > 6:

If instead we choose to walk to the military blockade:
Verses 5 > 3:

We can talk with both groups if we want to, but we will only be able to side with one of them. We will vote on who to help! NOTE: this will cost us a total of 4 . For the time being, let's send Ailei knocking at some doors.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:5).
Verse 1:

We are Ailei!
Verse 9:

Looks like our Mentor may still be alive? Most of her party may be dead, though?!? We may discover more details in Tangleroot (114), if we want to. We already had Part 8 of this Status, so we don't get any Exp; but we mark down Part 2 and 7!
We have 3 effective on Ailei and 3 (+2 if we go Exhausted) on Maggot. There are up to 5 to spend in the Borough (or even more if we have to tag in in some of these actions).

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to X (based on the next vote).
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Energy is set to X (based on the next vote).
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 4. She's going to spend it and gain 1 Practicality (current: 2)
Dream:
- No Dreams in this Location!
Tomorrow's Event:

Again! There are quite a few copies of Good Weather in the Random Events deck, so this is hardly surprising.

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Blood and Revolution: do we side with (A) the Rebels or with (B) the Knights?
  2. Plunder the Borough: these civil war shenanigans may prove exactly what we need to grab whatever is not nailed down while everyone is distracted. Do we (A) plunder it or (B) not?
  3. Next Destination: we have several alternatives. Vote 1 if you want to stick together, or 2 if you want to split up.
    1. Broch Cruach (136): this will also reveal location 135.
    2. Tangleroot (114): we have a new Task here.
    3. Derelict Fleet (119): we may be able to explore this and move up North with the Scroll, if needed. This will also reveal location 140. We will have to face a Purple Encounter on the way.
    4. ??? (140): we may be able to explore this and move up North with the Scroll, if needed. This will also reveal location 140. We will have to face a Purple Encounter on the way.
    5. Other: please specify what.

NOTE: for the purpose of these choices and to streamline things a bit, Ailei has Practicality 2 already. If there is any non-bankable leftover I'll spend it moving towards our next destination and/or conjuring up some Magic with Maggot, unless the thread decides otherwise.

Explored Locations:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Worth noting, Plagued Borough's flavor text talks about it being "at the foot of Kamelot". The north isn't Kamelot, and the road continues east, so it's probably fair to guess that 190 is Kamelot. But that's not accessible currently with our lit Menhirs. Broch Cruach doesn't have a menhir, so the location we haven't seen to the south pretty much has to. If we want to try and complete the "reach Kamelot" quest, that's probably where we need to go.

If we want to poke around elsewhere for that mysterious third option, that is of course also an option.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Actually, I missed that the main quest card says that Kamelot is at 190.

Based on how menhirs reveal locations, there MUST be one at ??? 140 in order for us to be able to reach Kamelot 190. Otherwise, this game is not really winnable.

So with that:
1B Side with the Knights because we already have some quests for them, and we're actually going to Kamelot to seek their aid. Let's be consistent.
2B I would rather not plunder the borough and get everyone mad at us. If we do end up plundering, I'd prefer Maggot to do it alone since he can fight well.
3D I want to know what it takes to light the menhir that is probably at ??? 140.

I don't mind if we farm XP at 3C Derelict Fleet (119), but the Whitening menhir is about to go dark again, so I doubt we'll have such a great time if we do this. If splitting up is viable, or we don't have time pressure, we can find out what happened in 3B Tangleroot (114) and farm more food with Maggot.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1B Lets not go 50/50
2B
3B

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

I think you've got Verse 9 backwards there - it gave us at least one new part, so we should get an XP from it? I think we would have had to already had all 3 for us not to get one.

1B
2A
3BD

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

habituallyred posted:

1B Lets not go 50/50
2B
3B

Yeah, sounds reasonable. Complete the task, finish exploring, hunt a little while we're there then implement D since that's gating Kamelot it seems.
For 3B, since Ailei has Practicality 2 we should give tactical advice ("OK so what you need to do is look for the oldest oaks, 'cause that's where all the good mushrooms grow, y'hear ?") then diplomance 'cause we're not giving up the last of our magic or our godsword, gently caress that.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 12, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Nick Buntline posted:

I think you've got Verse 9 backwards there - it gave us at least one new part, so we should get an XP from it? I think we would have had to already had all 3 for us not to get one.

You are indeed correct! This puts Ailei's XP at a current total of 1 after her levelup. Since it's Party gain, we will also probably tag-in Maggot and get to 6XP to gain Aggression 3 + Now or Never.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-Update recap

Votes so far posted:

1. Blood and Revolution: we are most likely siding with the Knights (B).
  2. Plunder the Borough: we are probably not plundering the borough (A).
  3. Next Destination: going back to Tangleroot (B) is winning by 1 vote over visiting ??? (140) (D)
If we decide to side with the Knight, we're going to need to gather 3 Marks to the "Helping the Knight" status to make a difference. Since I think no one wants to lose the OP-sword, our choice for the 3rd mark is Losing 2 magic or Losing the Improvised Armor. Both options have pros and cons, so it's not an easy choice.

What will it be?

Additional art - Plagued Borough (138)

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Gear is important, so let's spend magic. We can make more magic, but we still only have 1 suit of armor between our 2 characters. The Improvised Armor reduces damage by 1 (when the incoming damage exceeds 1), so it's important for Maggot to have to take down hard-hitting encounters.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The downside of all of our gear acquisition so far being actually good items is that it's much harder to sacrifice them for this sort of thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Vote results and Errata posted:

1. Blood and Revolution: we are siding with the Knights (B).
    - We are going to spend 1 each to create 1 Magic on Maggot (current A:2, M:2).
    - We are going to spend 2 each to help the knights. We are also spending 1 Magic on Maggot (current: 1).
    - Both characters are now at 2 and rest to Full (A:7, M:6)
    - ERRATA: we should have received 1 Exp each when marking down the Fate of the Expedition statuses, since we did not have them all. Maggot has now enough Exp to buy Aggression 3 and the Skill Now or Never. Ailei has 1 Exp.
  2. Plunder the Borough: we are not plundering the borough (A).
  3. Next Destination: we are going back to Tangleroot (B)
Before the start of the new day, we're going to assist the Knights.

Previously, in the Plagued Burough... posted:

Verses 4 > 5 > 3:

We're doing a Gift of Magic and Tactical Advice, then Ailei attempts A helping hand and draws a Blue Encounter:

There are a few of these in the deck, so it was meant to happen sooner or later. Having gathered 3 Marks in the Helping the Knights Status, during our next Exploration we have to go to Verse 10.

Maggot gains 1 - and he's going to lose it when resting tonight. We mark down the Peace in the Borough status and replace the Location card with the Quiet Burough (142).

We will know the outcome of our actions when we'll return to this place and Explore it. Also, I'm in a weird position: I forgot this was going to happen so I didn't put the "Explore the new location" option in the vote; this is relevant mostly cause, as we would have discovered by exploring this place, there is now a direct connection to location 140 from here. I though about it and I decided to reveal this in advance, since A) the Exploration Journal treats this as a known fact, but there is no travel arrow on the card, B)if it wasn't for my forgetfulness and the perks of asynchronous play we would have probably explored Location 142 now and found out and C) this will most likely influence our next moves. Apologies again for the mixup :(

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Quiet Borough (142)
Tasks:
- find who tried to repair the Menhir at the First Farmhold.
- reach the Tomb of the Order with the Excalibur's scabbard.
- seacht Tangleroot (114) to learn what happened to the first expedition.
Active Menhirs: Whitening (107), 1 days left., Titans' Steps (115)5 days left.
Guardians: None!

Today's Event:

We immediately use our free movement to travel to Tangleroot (114). We move 2 spaces, so each party member spends 1 (current A:6, M5).

Exploration: Tangleroot (114) posted:

- Each party member spends 1 (current A:5, M:4).
Intro:

We don't know what's going to happen, so better be prepared for everything.
Verse 2:

This time we DO have the necessary steps from the Fate of the Expedition status!
Verse 7:

We are hot on the trail and we're not gonna lose it!
Verse 10:

We already have this status, so we start looting!
Verse 443 (BoS):

Well, then. We have found the Grail.

Correction: the Tainted GrailTM. It is, quoting the Scriptures, bonkers.
Since we have resolved the Chapter, we are going to set up Chapter 3A now.

Chapter 3A setup posted:

We do have Secret Card 8 (the Tainted Grail), but we don't have the Lady's Task status.

poo poo's getting real! Level 3 Encounters are really dangerous, and also really lucractive - they often pay Exp on top of loot. There's only a handful of them, though.

Like this fella. He's now patrolling Cuanacth Farmhold. As a reminder, if the Location is removed (start of the day after tomorrow), the Wyrm will be gone; but if it tries to move out of boundaries before that, he'll teleport to the highest revealed location (Quiet Borough, at the moment).

We have a new Quest! We also add 4 Random Events to the top of the deck.
We are running low on Food, so we Hunt in this location - hopefully we won't meet a level 3 beast. I want to preserve some Energy on Maggot, so I get both character to spend 1 (current A:4, M:3). We draw this poor fella:

Combat - Royal Elk posted:

I'm going to skip the Combat since nothing really happens: even if it's Fast (we can play only 2 cards during our Activation), Maggot makes venison out of the Elk in the first Round thanks to Charge and Final Blow - funny enough, we could have even played the effect from the Clansword, since discarding a card doesn't count as playing it for the Fast effect. From now on, I'm going to skip full Encounter recaps unless something interesting happens, or unless it's a new Encounter.
We gain 4 Food, 2 each (current A:5, M:4). Since we still have some left, I go back to Whitening to talk with Fael's widow. I send Ailei ahead, Maggot will rejoin her after the Blue encounter has been resolved.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:3).

Diplomacy - Slick Fraudster posted:

We're going to have to Trick the Trickster, since we lack Spirituality. The "Remove a card from the sequence" effect is particularly bad for us, since we have a ton of cards that have a "lose 1 Rep" effect when removed. This is our starting hand:

- We play Masterful Acting and gain 1
- We chain De-escalation and gain 2 more
- The enemy retaliates and we lose 1 and discard De-escalation.
- We draw Empathise.

- At the beginning of the Round, we activate Masterful Acting delayed ability and draw Desperate Measures.
- We play Captivating Song and win the Encounter!

For defrauding the Fraudster Ailei gains 1 Rep (current: 7) and 2 Wealth (current: 5). Maggot joins us in Whitening (current Energy: 2), then we both Explore.

Exploration: Whitening (107) posted:

- Each party member spends 1 (current:3).
Intro:

We have Fael's Legacy, but we don't have the Hidden Treasure status, so we go to 10.
Verse 10:

Verse 263 (BoS):

Fael was Galahad? Galahad is dead? Oh boy. Unsurprisingly, Secret Card 5 is a heavy but very sturdy plate armor. We'll vote on what to do!

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to full (7).
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Exhausted! Energy is set to 5.
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 2. She has enough for a Deck Advancement.
- Maggot current Exp is 1.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Skull! Maggot has a Nightmare

Tomorrow's Event:

Moon cycles are quite irregular in Avalon.
The Wyrm will move North to 102.

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1. Galahad's Armor - do we want to:
    1. Leave the decision to the wife.
    2. Bring his possession to the elders.
    3. Take his stuff for ourselves.

2. Exploration - a lot of potential destinations!
    1. Visit the Lady of the Lake in Mirror Lake (113) to progress our Quest.
    2. Go back to the Quiet Borough (142) and see what our actions have caused. We will also be able to access Location 140, but it may have a cost.
    3. Visit Location 140 directly. This may or may not open a passage to Location 142 and it may or may not have a cost. Several people itt have indicated that they think a new Menhir will be available here.
    4. Other: please specify what.

3. Grail Carrier: Maggot is probably going to use more Magic (since Diplomacy is more rare than plain combat), but at the same time Magic cannot be traded.
    1. Leave the Grail on Maggot.
    2. Give the Grail to Ailei.
    3. Play hot potato with the priceless relic (swap it around every day if possible).
    4. Other: please specify what.

4. Future level ups: Ailei currently has 1 Deck Advancement available and Maggot will do the same in 1 Exp.
    1. Keep saving Exp for Skills.
    2. Start spending Exp for deck advancements.

Explored Locations:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That was abrupt.

Who do we trust more right now based on nothing, Morgaine aka Morgana le Fay or the Lady of the lake?

Also we're on a clock so it's time to boost Maggot's combat deck. Something is tracking the grail and its holder.

1) B - the wife wants nothing to do with the armor anymore and we're helping out the Round Table at the moment
2) A - Maggot
B - Ailei
- see my comment about clocks. Let's see what the lady wants. I'm assuming we can also check in with Morgaine later on

3) A - He's the best option to dealing with whatever will come hunting

4) B - Maggot and A - Ailei I'd say a couple combat deck boosts for Maggot. I think we should get a practicality skill on Ailei before her combat deck.

E2: Maggot can't take down that Wyrm yet, right? It'd make a decent trophy.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 13, 2020

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Galahad's Armor: Bring his possession to the elders. - I think it will go poorly for us if we meet other roundtable knights wearing old Galahad's outfit.

Exploration Visit the Lady of the Lake in Mirror Lake - let's see what the alien being has to say!

Grail Carrier: Play hot potato with the priceless relic - probably a good idea to have a good spread of magic around.

Future level ups: Start spending Exp for deck advancements. - we will need better decks to face the challenges that keep getting harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

As an addendum: I've just realized both the Tainted Grail and Excalibur's Scabbard have the Relic keyword, and we can only equip one at the same time on the same character. Whoever doesn't need/get to use one is going to get the other. We can also carry unequipped items, but we can't use them for that day.