Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd be interested to know how you made your own mod - I have several games (including Tainted Grail) that aren't on TTS and the tutorials I've seen seem mostly about prototyping games, which is not anything I care to do.

Personally I really enjoyed playing Tainted Grail two-player in RL (pre pandemic, of course) but it helped that I was mostly able to leave it set up on my table between sessions and we were often getting together 2-3 times in a week to tackle it.

Since we played Beor and Ailei, my vote is Maggot and Arev.

I take it you don't have Niamh? (who is the dedicated jack of all trades as she has her own specials and cards, but otherwise slots one of the four colored decks the other characters use.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

And yeah I don't have Niamh cause I only got the basic box without the expansions.

Probably not worth complicating the vote at this stage, but I do have Niamh and could try importing her stuff into TTS if you ever want to do a second run (the game has significant branching, so it would support it).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Interesting concept. I wonder if it influenced 7th Continent or vice versa.

It significantly post-dates 7th Continent so the influence would be 7C to Tainted Grail if any. It's also much more narrative and while we haven't seen them yet, the combat and diplomacy subsystems are more elaborate than the skill checks in 7C. But there are definite similarities for sure.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Omobono posted:

Is the village Menhir on the clock right now or does the start of the game take mercy and its decay is assumed to go at the speed of plot (until something happens)?

Anyways, changing my vote to A, follow the out of character hints and stay in place. It won't be optimal, it won't gently caress us over.

The game absolutely never stops the clock. Ever. You could, in theory, gently caress this starting quest up so badly that you are lost in the wyrdness. But it'd be hard.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Ah, my bad. Then changing my vote to A). Less optimal maybe, but there's nothing wrong with topping up food on the way in AND out. *7th Continent trauma vibrates ominously*

(that also means we can't swing by the shop on the way back from Death Island, but we can do that on our way back out of the village if the next step of our Menhir Maintenance Mission points us west)

Yes, food is really critical. And we don't have Arev, who can generate it with his ability.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's quite possible to run out of space on your character sheets, even with five point cubes. But...not anytime soon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Edit: Nevermind, missed it. But yeah, the map can be of help.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Combat and diplomacy cards aren't the only place where attributes are relevant. But I don't think there's any attribute that no one in the party has at all, right now.

(Whereas, say, when I played with Beor and Ailei, nobody had Spirituality.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
That's confusing to me because Awaken Realms have officially sponsored Nemesis and Great Wall TTS mods and while I don't know if they've signed off on the The Edge: Dawnfall, and Lords of Hellas mods I've seen on the workshop they also haven't taken them down.

Maybe they just think something like Tainted Grail would be too easily spoiled by having a mod floating around? I dunno. (But also, there's a This War of Mine mod. And that's a story-driven game. So...confused.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There are actually quite a few craftable items that are either one shot or can potentially break when used (e.g. snares for hunting food, a crappy sword). You've been very lucky in getting stuff that's actually good equipment. (And not drawing a craftable on an "any item" draw.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Incidentally, this is why I think Beor has probably the worst special ability in the game. You have to spend almost a whole day, you have to be in a settlement, and your reward is...picking one of a couple of low end items, probably just poo poo that will break on you. We used it like two or three times in our entire campaign and mostly just really early when we had no other equipment. And didn't get much worth the time expended.

It doesn't make him useless or anything - I think characters ultimately matter more for their special narrative options, initial stat spread, and unique cards (some of Beor's cards are amazing). But if I were gonna start house-ruling, Beor's ability would definitely be on my list.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm not voting because I've played the game and know what a lot of the outcomes are. (At least for the route I played.) Otherwise I would!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just to point out - which menhir to light will define what direction we travel in the wider exploration for a bit. We cannot relight the village menhir until we find the Stoneshaper's Tools, whereever they are, and the menhir we don't choose will be outside the radius of the one we light. I guess in theory we could light both, but, well, resources will be short.

I vote 1A because we will potentially need Wealth for at least one of the two Menhir, and no to gathering lichen. We don't know what to do with it, and we have a time limit.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1A
2B
3A - we need wealth a lot more than rep at the moment.
Indifferent on 4 - this game is full of cool places to explore, but it's often risky. Note that this was one of the places where we were hinted to be able to learn Menhir Rites, so since we already have those, there's a chance we'd end up duplicating effort we've already made. (There's probably also other things to see/find, though.)
5C - skills are really good, you guys. Also, it doesn't seem like Ailei's really been hurting for lack of Spirituality. Double Practicality might be good (and would set up for Practicality skills later), but it's not really clear to me how often it's likely to come up. I think Maggot's been having more trouble lacking Practicality at all.

In general, I'd recommend interleaving some card purchases with stat/skill buys - the advanced cards will significantly improve our odds in combat and diplomacy by simultaneously pushing out not-great cards like Risky Attack and bringing in more powerful ones. But since we already have 4 XP, it won't hurt to wait a little longer and get a skill.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

nweismuller posted:

I'm inclined to try and save another settlement from the wyrdness.

You really can't. Lighting the Whitening menhir will only last a handful of additional turns and I guarantee we can't just sit around relighting it. This is a grander quest than that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Here's the thing about trading food for wealth: we need food literally every turn. Wealth we only need for specific things like lighting these specific menhir (menhirs vary widely). So it's not generally a good trade.

Also, keep in mind that hunting is not free. It's a fight every time we do it. That fight might be something we can win handily and with little cost, and better yet, give more food. But we've got rank 2 encounters in there, so, it may not.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, that's why I wasn't super fussed about exploring the Mounds. You can get a few shinies, but the real treasure we already got in the Charred Conclave.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

bagrada posted:

That's unexciting but I can see why they have to seed the rites in a few places since you need them or the game is over pretty fast.

Yep. And they have different checks along the way. In the thread we got the rites from the Conclave real easy because we had Maggot. But when I played previously, neither Beor nor Ailei had what it took to get the info from the dead druids. And without Beor it would be pretty easy to not have double aggression to get through that Mounds door (though there's another option - but you have to find it). My previous party got it a different way still, but we haven't seen that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1B - there may eventually be a time when we can afford to faff around semi-indefinitely, but we sure aren't there yet.
3B - still a fan of Mounds menhir.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The reward specifically gives a Combat deck advancement, we can't take a Diplomacy advancement for Ailei from it.

I'm sad that we picked the same route my previous playthrough did. Siigh. (It's a cool route though don't get me wrong.)

I vote for Motivation for Ailei - giving her a way to remove terror when not eligible for end of day healing is really helpful, and while Perseverance will bleed terror for free, I think it's actually not that good for Ailei since she doesn't automatically heal terror a lot of the time. Also, Coercion is really useful but probably a later pick since we don't have piles of Rep yet. Do note that skills are on double-sided cards and there is only one of each. Any skill we give Ailei, Maggot will never get and vice versa, and neither will ever get the skill on the other side.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Snakebite also generates baseline 2 card draw, in addition to potentially four damage. The lack of accessible further links other than the magic and 3X free key is certainly a downside, but I'd argue it's still a pretty good card in many situations. Defensive posture is a straight upgrade from Defend, but defending tends to be more of a delaying tactic so it's not necessarily amazing. Blood Magic could really supercharge Maggot's effectiveness in longer fights at the cost of a little bit of health.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Don't have an opinion about the other two, but:
2B - Titan's Steps should be progress towards our goal of visiting Kamelot, and the Fleet's only obvious relevance is the ability to burn a lot of energy and terror getting a little bit of money and XP, which isn't really a great tradeoff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So the thing about XP is that yes, it's valuable. Which is why repeatable sources come at a substantial cost. But it's a very substantial cost, basically a whole day's activity, plus hurting the person doing it, and we've already seen that exploring and completing quests nets us XP as well as other benefits. And we are on multiple time limits. So I would argue that using XP actions is not, generally, the way to go.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

I would agree in general terms, which is why I didn't ever push for using the Warrior Fair next to Cuanacht. HOWEVER, this one also lets us gain Magic, which is valuable both as a resource (to light menhirs and such) and to link cards & win encounters. And unlike moolah, food or reputation, magic doesn't seem all too easy for non-Maggots to come by. Plus we just picked up a skill that'll help nix the other cost/downside of the manoeuver.

Also, let's not forget that beyond its value as a location with an action linked to it... it's also a location period. As in explorable. One that the next menhir we light up won't cover.

A skill which also takes time. And magic is both rarer than food and less useful, because we eat food in addition to using it for various costs, and so far the two uses we've seen for magic are 1) kindling menhirs (which vary dramatically in what they cost and how much) and 2) linking keys in combat, which we haven't much needed to do except on Maggot, who can source it directly. Just saying. We'll see how people feel about it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Not just combat ! Ailei just used hers to diplomance gooder.
And sure, when all goes well, we don't need it. That's sort of the point. Magic is valuable precisely because it helps turn "well, poo poo" situations into "no worries !" ones.

Maggot can hunt fine on his own, he can explore mostly fine as well and so on (he's not even absolute poo poo at diplomacy) so all other things being equal, I'm saying leaving Ailei to fill up on magic and spending her energy on going super Sayajin and curing herself afterwards isn't absolutely terrible a notion.

I was lumping the two encounter systems together under the rubric of combat, but yes. It's occasionally helpful for both. But Maggot's deck has a much heavier reliance on magic for both systems than Ailei's, because he can get it as needed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It has been centuries, yes. They do explain this, but we haven't seen the stuff that talks about it.

Note that accepting or refusing the quest ticks opposing statuses. I'm not going to vote on which direction but we should pick one of those statuses and stick with it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh - by the way, losing health does not make it easier to Go Insane. That's what happens when our terror hits the red "going insane" spaces on the terror track and is independent of our health value. What lower health makes easier is panicking. Any time a character's terror is above the bar of their current health marker, they are panicking and have two negative effects in combat and diplomacy:
1) the first card of their turn is played randomly from the top of their deck
2) they do not draw a card at the end of their turn.

You can still play 2nd and onwards cards at your choice and get draws from key linking, but not being able to plan what keys to make available for bonus keys from the first play makes that a lot harder.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1B - having her give up might be safer for her, but it's not very interesting and we probably wouldn't get much out of our valiant bear-slaying that way.
2C Continue exploring Tangleroot, then either light the new menhir and head on, or go talk to the Lady if we manage to get any of the things she'll talk to you about. 1 magic isn't much to be fussed about with human Magic battery Maggot around, whereas it would be a waste to light it while we're still poking around in Tangleroot.
3A and 3D or E. Getting Practicality on Ailei will be good. Now or Never is good, but I think the skill guide writer is underestimating Monstrous Strength and Exertion, which were hugely helpful in my previous game. That said, they were great for Beor - Maggot might not get so much from them. I think he also misses that playing with your next card face up (one step ahead) combos very well with Now or Never and/or Exertion (the latter because a bunch of time token effects draw cards). We should also strongly consider Spirituality and Power of Ages. Getting an extra turn on every Menhir dial for 98% of the game is pretty excellent. Asceticism or Communion look like strong second choices in that category.

I would also generally vote for doing a bit of deck advancement with XP after these skill-ups. I think the skill guide writer is maybe a bit overemphasizing the amount that doing so helps over encounter-related skills, but there are some bad cards in the starting deck that we should replace with good ones before we get *too* skill-happy. I especially dislike the ones that have you toss a dial - they're super risky and not worth the risk, and in the physical game the dials are actually weighted such that we literally 100% of the time got a skull when we were tossing them. We switched to a 1-3/4-6 dieroll instead.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Tangleroot encounters for hunting would be purple encounters today - look at the text of Full Moon. So, not the Dobhar-Chiu.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We haven't finished exploring Tangleroot and should really do that at some point.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Worth noting, Plagued Borough's flavor text talks about it being "at the foot of Kamelot". The north isn't Kamelot, and the road continues east, so it's probably fair to guess that 190 is Kamelot. But that's not accessible currently with our lit Menhirs. Broch Cruach doesn't have a menhir, so the location we haven't seen to the south pretty much has to. If we want to try and complete the "reach Kamelot" quest, that's probably where we need to go.

If we want to poke around elsewhere for that mysterious third option, that is of course also an option.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The downside of all of our gear acquisition so far being actually good items is that it's much harder to sacrifice them for this sort of thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Both characters have a skill already.

4B - we've only done one deck advancement per deck for each character and should buy a couple more for the respective specialties at a minimum before we look at another skill...although if we get a big windfall of XP (like, 3-4+ at once) we might want to consider holding back and buying another stat/skill with it.

I'd also note that as much as we will try to prioritize using Maggot for Combat and Ailei for Diplomacy, it is not safe to assume that we can pull that off every time - upgrading the other deck is a good idea as well. We'll just want to be more sparing about it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There is a skill that allows equipping two relics, but IIRC it's on an attribute that would be quite expensive for either of our characters to buy up to a skill on. And I don't know that we have quite enough relics to make that worthwhile yet, plus we have a Task to turn over the scabbard at some point, and our Quest may involve handing over the Tainted Grail. Still, something to keep in mind if we pick up more.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So yeah, the "Tainted" Grail is a fake. There is a true Grail, and now we need to find it. I think it should be fairly obvious who else we could find it for, though.

PS: There's actually one other multi-part status with a BoS verse, it's the opposite of Restoring the Order. (I think it's Fall of Chivalry? But I forget.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Titan's Steps was all about the timed event. We did it, so there's nothing else left to do.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
4A - Oiled Tent. It's not quite as useful when we're split up as we've been doing lately, but between that and the Adventuring Kit we can defang a bunch of negative events. Consumables like the Incense aren't really worth spending money on, IMO, and the Advisor -could- be really good but only if we get lucky on the dial tosses, which I don't especially expect. Also, Maggot can already make Magic, and Ailei can ill afford to gain 2 Terror a pop to pay for it.
5B or C - there are some other permanent effect items that would be quite good to get. Hell, even just another Kit would be worth it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
1: Book. Possibly also Runic Sword, both for Ailei. Ailei hopefully won't be doing loads of combat though, and can't currently connect double Courage, so it's relatively limited use, whereas much of the time the Tome will be 1 Magic a day for Ailei.

4: these aren't super great but I think probably Powerful Blow is best, followed by Careful Planning. I don't like spending energy in combat but both are powerful effects, whereas Gather Strength is just kind of not doing very much for us except maybe fueling the Clansword.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Omobono posted:

De facto we've been helping out the (tainted?) round table in our decisions until now, even if officially we're on the path of helping the lady of the lake. We could always light the new Menhir and go say hi in Kamelot. The quest mentions switching allegiances.

Right, but the linked Quest card in the post is for Morgaine's Quest, which we don't have. Also, we shouldn't assume the Knights of the Round Table and Morgaine are universally aligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Powerful Blow It sucks to use energy, but sometimes you just need big damage. If the enemy creature deletes cards in our chain, we may be able to take advantage of that and have powerful blow's timer effect occur multiple times in a combat.

That's not how timer effects work. When you play the card, you put a timer token on it. Each round, you check to see if anything has a timer token and remove it if so, which triggers the listed effect. If you play another card over the timer token before this happens, it goes away and you don't get the timer effect. You do not reapply the effects of playing a card if it's re-exposed because the card over the timer card goes away, so you don't get a new timer token, and thus don't get the timer effect again.

The one time losing cards from the chain reactivates an effect is for things that are active while exposed, passive effects like Defend's damage reduction.