Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Christ it always comes down to rokos basilisk doesn't it.

E: also to equally weigh potential lives with current lives just says to me your utility function is dog poo poo

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A big flaming stink posted:

Christ it always comes down to rokos basilisk doesn't it.

E: also to equally weigh potential lives with current lives just says to me your utility function is dog poo poo

It's basilisks all the way down!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Longtermists vastly overrate their ability to predict the future.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Groucho Marx posted:

What's posterity ever done for me?

Long term planning is great and all, but there isn't going to be a shining future if you don't do something about the present, yah dingus brain genius.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe if crypto dorks wanted to preserve future civilizations, they shouldn’t have ensured that global temperatures would rise by 5C and boil the oceans by mining all that crypto.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I AM GRANDO posted:

Maybe if crypto dorks wanted to preserve future civilizations, they shouldn’t have ensured that global temperatures would rise by 5C and boil the oceans by mining all that crypto.

:boom:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also a futurist fund run by a loving cryptocurrency exchange? Seriously? Countdown until the entire thing gets rugpulled, "hacked", etc. and the founders abscond to another country, preferably one without extradition treaties.

110923_3
Nov 10, 2023
Existential and Global Catastrophic Theory

110923_3
Nov 10, 2023

there's my chippy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

quote:

It’s safe to say that effective altruism is no longer the small, eclectic club of philosophers, charity researchers, and do-gooders it was just a decade ago.

Wasn't literally started by billionaires lol

quote:

Bankman-Fried, who got interested in EA as an undergrad at MIT, “earned to give” through crypto trading so hard that he’s now worth about $12.8 billion as of this writing, almost all of which he has said he plans to give away to EA-aligned causes. (Disclosure: Future Perfect, which is partly supported through philanthropic giving, received a project grant from Building a Stronger Future, Bankman-Fried’s philanthropic arm.)

Yeah... about that...

RationalWiki posted:

It's unclear whether SBF ever gave money to charity, though he did make a lot of political contributions (likely to fend off crypto regulation)[40] allegedly illegally using other people's money.[41] SBF's crypto empire spectacularly came crashing down in November 2022, due to his self-dealing and high-risk (leveraged) gambles and he did claim to have given a lot of moola to Jane Street Capital, both founded by his mentor, MacAskill (so basically self-dealing).[42] After the crash, which left SBF with essentially nothing, it was revealed that he was living a lavish and debauched lifestyle in the Bahamas[43] while he was hypothetically donating to charity at some point in the distant future. Trial testimony and his own statements indicated that SBF had an extreme desire for risk, even to the point of risking other people's lives without their consent,[44][45] something that would seem to be antithetical to the idea of altruism.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

alexandriao posted:

Wasn't literally started by billionaires lol

Yeah... about that...

Look, altruism is very effective when you give the money to yourself.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

This + "Maybe several generations experiencing an illness wont cause human extinction but everyone being loving disabled from said illness will gently caress things up long term"

Effective Altruism is a loving joke because they look at long term bullshit to excuse the fact that they literally have enough money to catapult us into a utopia here, now, today.

"Oh I want to stave off human extinction" Ok well if everyone could eat food and access education that would itself be a big loving step towards that wouldn't it buddy??? Maybe having an entire working class subjugated towards creating profit isn't the ideal situation for technological growth to the point where we can deflect asteroids and poo poo like that, huh!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Look, altruism is very effective when you give the money to yourself.

It's the only way to be sure someone else doesn't misuse it. If only everyone else was more reliable I wouldn't have the burden, smh.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
EA is just dumb rich fucks pretending they are less dumb, and less sociopathic, than they actually are. It’s predicated on them knowing what’s good for the proles better than the proles do. A mutual JO session for their egos.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

cat botherer posted:

EA is just dumb rich fucks pretending they are less dumb, and less sociopathic, than they actually are. It’s predicated on them knowing what’s good for the proles better than the proles do. A mutual JO session for their egos.

I wouldn't say it to their faces because I'm not going to discourage giving your money to charity but definitely everyone I know who believes in it uses it as a modern tithing to feel better about their money and how they make it

011524_3
Jan 16, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK_OBSWZ3Eg

https://www.youtube.com/@60minutes/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

011624_4
Jan 17, 2024
Less than enough Time