Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

(Also, it could be that giant impacts are actually common but usually leave no evidence and earth is only odd in that it got left with a big mood. If that's the case then it's just part of normal planetary formation and doesn't have much to say about how common life is)

Is there any actual evidence for how common planetary collisions are? Because if the rate is high, it seems weird to take that as being a sign FOR advanced life developing. I mean there wouldn't be a law of physics compelling Theias to hit Protoearths only when it's convenient for life to form, right? What about the potential for wiping whole biospheres out of existence, or even preventing them from rising in the first place if the rate is really high? I doubt gravity cares if one of the rocks it's smashing together has moss or monkeys or skyscrapers on it.

I don't think that necessarily means we're all alone (on its own, at least) if your homeworld has to be a fused impact remnant planet with a fused impact remnant moon, interestingly we're not the only object even in our own solar system set up like that: Pluto and Charon are almost twins and were probably the results of a collision too. But then there's Mars with its little potato collection and neither Venus nor Mercury has any moons at all, so 2/5? Of the bodies we clasically recognized as terretrial planets just because of when we spotted them? Really doesn't seem like enough information to draw conclusions from. My understanding is there are some candidates outside our Solar system being looked at but still technically exomoons remain theoretical. If we ever can confirm them, it'll be real interesting to see how many habitable-zone planets have jumbo moons or extreme tilts or other signs of impact. Might be good places to look and never actually have anything to do with because the idea of our species physically leaving the heliosphere is the funniest/meanest joke of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU