Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

axeil posted:

As preposterous and geocentric as it sounds on its face, the evidence for "We're First" does appear quite good despite the overall age of the Universe.

To clarify, the "We're First" answer basically says that no, habitable planets and intelligent life are not that rare, however conditions only recently became such that intelligent life can form. Its a somewhat unsatisfying answer as it seems highly unlikely we're "special" but there is fairly decent evidence for it.

Here's an article going through the details of the Firstborn solution in a bit more depth: https://www.universetoday.com/147591/beyond-fermis-paradox-x-the-firstborn-hypothesis/

In no particular order the conditions you need for intelligent, biological life are:

1) Stellar formation in the right type (main sequence, sun-like stars, which are rarer than you think)
2) Sufficient quantity of higher numbered elements to form planets
3) Low number of cataclysmic, planet sterilizing effects (supernovae, gamma ray bursts, black holes, etc.)
4) Sufficient quantity of phosphorus. Until recently this wasn't seen as something that interesting but it does appear that phosphorus is much rarer in the universe at large than it is on our planet/in our solar system
5) Sufficient quantity of some kind of solvent for life (e.g. water)

This is a pretty long list and that's before we get to the habitable zone, tidal effects, etc.

I don't recall the exact figures but I believe they've determined that given these constrains the Earth was formed right at the start of the period in which all 5 of these criteria could generally be met.

an' it might require a massive collision, like a planetoid the size of mercury colliding with a big dead stone ejecting it's core into orbit and liquifying & overheating everything on the planet, 'ringing its bell.'

And then eons of it cooling and the period of heavy bombardment ending and the constant earthquakes becoming less frequent and less intense and the iron core forming and spinning and the atmosphere forming and depositing freshwater (or whatever solvent of life I guess?) on land...

I mean, I guess that's one script that we might imagine might produce trees and fish and singing apes, based on evidence and some speculation, but who knows how many other 'recipes for life' there might be...

It does seem like any 'recipe' would be repeated throughout the universe, perhaps not evenly, perhaps one in greater proportion to another, etc. But I can't imagine Earth's 'Tree of Life' evolving from abiogensis to singing apes just from a yellow sun gently toasting an acrecian disk (that somehow has an atmosphere and fresh water and lightning). I think the temperature on the planet has to become extremely high, then slowly cool over time until it reaches the period where abiogenesis can happen (and, indeed, at that point is inevitable) and extinction isn't inevitable. Once it gets there, evolution is very natural - not because every so often some bit gets mis-translated, but because ultimately the process of growing changes the environment and the environment shapes the life.

But I think the collision is necessary. Earth's Tree of Life didn't /begin/ getting its energy from the sun; it began with geothermal and evolved photosynthesis later.

Hell, maybe it only works if the colliding object is an interstellar object composed of some quantity of some element.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU