Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Other interesting topics would be the eventual and inevitable genetically engineered humans via the technological successors to techniques like CRISPR being commercialized and widely available.

I mean sign me up for children with a dragon tail or superior eagle vision and the ability to see in the dark and poo poo but I imagine there's some sort of dystopian future somewhere down the lines too.

Some people I think have raised ethical concerns about gene filtering treatments that might filter for congenital defects in the embyronic stages, though I also don't see it as something that can be prevented (because of technological determinism). Like, at some point it's just going to be a part of someone's health insurance plan for when you or your spouse is pregnant or similar and that's just going to overwhelm any concerns.

AI and genetic engineering are going to be two of candidates for the horsemen of the apocalypse probably.

Oh yeah, genetic engineering is a total wildcard in all of this as far as I can tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see attempts to engineer whole ecosystems and biospheres as things continue to get worse and worse more quickly. Who the hell knows what things will look like in 30, 40, 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

So you guys, let's have it out right now. How many of you think that the human race/most mammalian life will be extinct before the end of the century? And why?

If we're at the point where that is actually a thing that will happen then we're already too far gone to fix it, and so as far as I'm concerned it's not something worth dwelling on.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

Does the "why" matter at this point? We have avowed nihilists such as the poster above saying they don't care so long as they get to consume their way around culture before "the Road" becomes a reality, so why bother? John Oliver's show recently cited a study that said octopi are more prone to hugging once they ingest ecstasy, so it's not like a mammalian-devoid globe will be all awful.

I'm sorry? What about what I said makes you think I'm a nihilist?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

Oh, the we're too far gone to fix anything so let's just ride the wave baby rhetoric. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that, though!

Nah, I don't believe that we're too far gone. I am trying to live a life where I'm plugged into and doing work to help fix the problems. I know things are very bad, and the science indicates that there may be possibilities where things could rapidly get worse to the extent that the OP was talking about in their prompt.

But, personally, for me if everything we could ever hope to accomplish w/r/t mitigating climate change could end up meaning jack poo poo and we're all doomed regardless then I'd prefer to just not dwell on it and continue to have some hope and work hard towards doing whatever we can.

That's what's working for me, and though all I have is my personal experience with choosing to go with some Optimism, it sure is better than I was 4 or 5 years ago when I was in full climate-doom nothing matters headspace and deeply, clinically depressed.