Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Other interesting topics would be the eventual and inevitable genetically engineered humans via the technological successors to techniques like CRISPR being commercialized and widely available.

I mean sign me up for children with a dragon tail or superior eagle vision and the ability to see in the dark and poo poo but I imagine there's some sort of dystopian future somewhere down the lines too.

Some people I think have raised ethical concerns about gene filtering treatments that might filter for congenital defects in the embyronic stages, though I also don't see it as something that can be prevented (because of technological determinism). Like, at some point it's just going to be a part of someone's health insurance plan for when you or your spouse is pregnant or similar and that's just going to overwhelm any concerns.

AI and genetic engineering are going to be two of candidates for the horsemen of the apocalypse probably.

if your concerns about eugenics in the face of climate collapse begin and end with "maybe my kids could be Malatorans," in an environment where we're already giving climate refugees forced hysterectomies in the name of preserving the essential character of America, i put it to you you are focusing on the fantastical in an attempt to avoid engaging with the real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

I think the answer that current existential risk people would give is that the risk is so large that intersectionality doesn't matter. Who cares about whether the apocalypse kills marginalised groups first if privileged groups are merely next in line to die.

also the intended audience for the message is notoriously quite good at writing off mass death of the browner peoples of the earth as "sometimes you gotta break a few eggs"

trying to win their sympathy with the suffering of disadvantaged populations traditionally gets you polite dismissal at best and a "GUESS THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TRIED TO COME HERE HEE HEE HAW" at worst