Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I typed out a description of my covid experience in another thread that didn't really ask for it and then deleted it, and have figured this sort of thread should exist for a while now. And since no one else has made it, here I go! Here's a thread for asking people who have had the rona what it felt like, how bad it was, where they caught it if they know, and so on.

I'm in the Bronx, NYC, USA and have four roommates. We all caught it in quick succession in April, almost certainly because of either me or one other roommate, but there's no way of knowing. Despite being in our 20s we all had pretty miserable cases, although luckily staggered so two of us got to eat poo poo first and then recovered enough to help the other three.

I got loving floored at 26. I'm a tiny 5'6"/1.67m man and lost about 25lbs/11kg. I've never been a fitness god but I used to be a pretty decent runner and lifter, and now I get winded climbing the stairs to get home. I had a few days of fever and difficult breathing, and let me tell you, gasping for air as you try to waddle to the toilet is terrifying. I also literally shat blood once but my doctor says my insides are ok and it was stress so...

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Did you hallucinate or have any weird dreams?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
You recovered but you still get winded more easily?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Did you (or anyone else here who had it) experience loss of taste/smell? What was it like: sudden or gradual, partial or absolute?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dick Trauma posted:

Hallucinate no, weird dreams yes, a fuckton. I'd probably blame them on fever and sleep deprivation.

A good poster posted:

Yeah. It's hard to describe and I've rewritten this over and over. I know what "oh gently caress I'm out of shape" feels like on runs and it's not that, it's more like I can go on but my body won't let me.

Straight White Shark posted:

Did you (or anyone else here who had it) experience loss of taste/smell? What was it like: sudden or gradual, partial or absolute?

I lost smell and taste overnight and it took about a month for them to come back fully. And honestly it was the scariest bit for me. I was nauseous and puking but also knew I needed to shovel calories into my body. Refried beans and PBJs got me through it, basically two different types of nutritional mush. And if something isn't flavourful enough today I immediately think back to having no sense of taste and get scared

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Have you or your roommates had any other odd lingering symptoms like brain fog, forgetting things you ought to easily remember or things like that that other people have reported well after the recovery of the initial symptoms?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Has contracting and (mostly) recovering made you/your roommates more conspicuous about masking/social distancing, or has it granted you a measure of relief in crowded situations where you might be more lax?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mercenarynuker posted:

Has contracting and (mostly) recovering made you/your roommates more conspicuous about masking/social distancing, or has it granted you a measure of relief in crowded situations where you might be more lax?

It's definitely granted my wife a measure of relief. She's been getting an antibody test every couple of months to verify she at least has something.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I was tested on Thursday and was notified yesterday (Saturday) morning that I was positive for COVID-19. I’d like to help contribute with a few responses where possible.

Mine comes and goes, weirdly. Everything I drink tastes almost metallic. I think it’s gone hand in hand with a loss of appetite, sadly. I’ve not a square meal since Friday, only picked at bits, and what I do eat is dull.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In an office where six people have tested positive. Kinda resigned to getting it sooner or later.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How did your families react? No one in my family, and I don't even think in distant family, has gotten it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I live alone, with no friends or family close by (nearest is 45 min. away). For the past 7 months, I've been really anxious about how screwed I'm going to be if I get Covid and have no one to help me. Does anyone have any tips for people who live alone?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Rabbit Hill posted:

I live alone, with no friends or family close by (nearest is 45 min. away). For the past 7 months, I've been really anxious about how screwed I'm going to be if I get Covid and have no one to help me. Does anyone have any tips for people who live alone?

Yeah: don't catch it. Living alone is a great opportunity not to. Stop working your job (exercise the only power American workers have left) and prepare to mostly stop spending too. So you stay on course, continually stay aware of not necessarily the news but of more Americans' accounts of the sickness -- people's short term struggle to survive it, their longer term disabilities, the lies they're told by their own managers and own peers that led them to catch it. Bookmark this thread exploring the horrors of how COVID is being handled (and reported) and feel vindicated in living like a crazy person for a while.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Frequent Handies posted:

Have you or your roommates had any other odd lingering symptoms like brain fog, forgetting things you ought to easily remember or things like that that other people have reported well after the recovery of the initial symptoms?

Nothing like that (as far as I know, I can't speak for them). I'm happy for that because brain fog seems terrifying.

mercenarynuker posted:

It has made us a lot more blasé in terms of stuff like wiping down groceries and carrying around hand sanitizer, but we still mask and social distance as much as possible. Or at least I do and they do as much as I know. Reinfection is still way up in the air, and being masked and respecting social distancing is a net good thing anyway. I'd rather normalize being safe and not getting it at all.

GoutPatrol posted:

How did your families react? No one in my family, and I don't even think in distant family, has gotten it.

They were supportive but not worried I guess. I lost my grandma in Dallas, TX around when we got it so I was definitely on the backburner and expected to survive, but missed the goodbyes. It sucked. I'm in NYC and the rest of my family is in Texas and France so we were and are on very different wavelengths as far as the pandemic goes.

britishbornandbread posted:

I was tested on Thursday and was notified yesterday (Saturday) morning that I was positive for COVID-19. I’d like to help contribute with a few responses where possible.

Mine comes and goes, weirdly. Everything I drink tastes almost metallic. I think it’s gone hand in hand with a loss of appetite, sadly. I’ve not a square meal since Friday, only picked at bits, and what I do eat is dull.

liquidy soups and jam are your best friend, no matter how little you want. Chug tomato soup, eat spoonfuls of jam. Drink milk.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 21, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh hey, I had it too.

I think I caught it on a business trip in SF/LA or when I went skiing in Colorado in March. I ended up losing my sense of taste/smell for a week and felt kind of funky one day. Otherwise, no other symptoms. I was pretty lucky.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Not quite the same but I’m working as a contact tracer for county-level public health organization and if anyone had any questions about that process I’d be happy to answer.

Also, a question for the people who has it: how did your employer react if/when you told them? Most employers I’ve talked to seem to be willing to share information but I’ve heard just enough stories about rear end in a top hat managers that I’m curious what sort of protections someone might be able to take to assure their job doesn’t try to gently caress them over. (I talked to one person who was just starting to feel symptomatic and tried to call in at their job and their boss told them it was probably allergies and to come in anyways and they worked two times before getting their positive tests! Bosses fuckin’ suck)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

britishbornandbread posted:

This is what terrifies me more than anything. It's one of the most common indicators of COVID, and very uncommon for anything else because I already have hyposmia (very limited sense of smell, and a resulting limited sense of taste) most likely due to a concussion when I was a kid or teenager. If I get a bad case I'll obviously know, if I get a mild or mostly asymptomatic case I may not because this symptom is something I've lived with for 15 years.

Edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

liquidy soups and jam are your best friend, no matter how little you want. Chug tomato soup, eat spoonfuls of jam. Drink milk.

This is good advice for lack of appetite/energy in general. Easier to get down and keep down, high in calories. How's your appetite these days? You mentioned you lost 25 lbs - have you regained any of it? Also curious about the part about you still get winded going up a flight of stairs ~6 months after you ostensibly recovered, have you seen any improvement there, has it been consistently the same, or are some days just better than others?

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 24, 2020

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

Also, a question for the people who has it: how did your employer react if/when you told them? Most employers I’ve talked to seem to be willing to share information but I’ve heard just enough stories about rear end in a top hat managers that I’m curious what sort of protections someone might be able to take to assure their job doesn’t try to gently caress them over. (I talked to one person who was just starting to feel symptomatic and tried to call in at their job and their boss told them it was probably allergies and to come in anyways and they worked two times before getting their positive tests! Bosses fuckin’ suck)

I got it and just tested positive (asymptomatic so far). I work an office job, and we've been remote since March, so my experience probably isn't notable. I told my HR lead (er, 'People Ops') and they basically didn't care, and gave me links to resources if I need. I was last in the office 3 weeks ago to check my mail backlog, andmore recently than that a contractor that was working in our building tested positive, so they've already done a scrub. I wanted to ask if I was the first one at our company to test positive, but didn't (our US office is only ~100 people).

I can't imagine the pressure people who actually have to be on-site have to report it. I'm extremely lucky that I haven't really had to worry about job security during the pandemic, but of course the vast majority of Americans are in a tougher spot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question for people who weren't asymptomatic: what was the first symptom you noticed having that made you go "oh poo poo i should probably get tested, huh"

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

(I talked to one person who was just starting to feel symptomatic and tried to call in at their job and their boss told them it was probably allergies and to come in anyways and they worked two times before getting their positive tests! Bosses fuckin’ suck)

Jesus, this is literally a crime where I live. If you call in sick you don't need to specify anything and the only thing your boss can say legally is "get well soon". They can demand a doctor's note, but this is only ever done as a formality for insurance purposes if you are away for weeks.

Is there seriously a culture of coming into work sick as a dog over there? Even during non-covid times people here stay home with mild sniffles, which is encouraged by employers. Even from a selfish point of view, having sick people come in is idiotic. Their productivity will be terrible, and the most they will accomplish is pass whatever they have to other employees, in turn making them less productive.

During Covid there are mandates from the government that if you have even the mildest symptoms of any sort, you are to stay home as a precaution.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Is there seriously a culture of coming into work sick as a dog over there? Even during non-covid times people here stay home with mild sniffles, which is encouraged by employers. Even from a selfish point of view, having sick people come in is idiotic. Their productivity will be terrible, and the most they will accomplish is pass whatever they have to other employees, in turn making them less productive.

In my country, there is a huge culture of coming to work sick. In pre-COVID days, people would routinely come to work coughing, sneezing and feverish, exposing multiple coworkers to common cold. The law also encourages it – the paid sick leave is only possible on full employment contracts (which are pretty rare) and it pays only 80% (officially to discourage people from abusing it). It still hasn't changed months into dangerous pandemic.

My cousin's husband recently was infected by a coworker, who had a fever but would just take antipyretics and come into the office anyway. An entire family of four had COVID-19 because of that, despite doing everything right – wearing masks, distancing, avoiding large gatherings of people.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At my place people come to work sick all the time. That's why it concerns me that during the "lockdown" when the office is supposed to be closed that people are still working there, and none of them wear masks. I can't do my I.T. work without being onsite from time to time, and I always wear a mask, but I try to get out as quickly as possible.

The site has been getting renovated for almost a year now so there's a construction team there each weekday from 6am to around 3pm, and on top of that there's now a furniture crew replacing everything, and an AV company installing a system. I do not want to be around all these people.

Two of my bosses are the worst transgressors. I try coming in after 5pm, or on weekends and those two fucks seem to always be there, maskless. It annoys the poo poo out of me that I have no choice about going to work, but they could just stay home.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Geisladisk posted:

Absolutely. At all but 1 of the jobs I’ve had in 20 years, there are no sick days. If you aren’t there, you don’t get paid. And even worse, if you have the temerity to insist that you’re too sick to work, you will be removed from this week’s schedule and your shifts given to “someone more reliable” in the future.

I worked as a server/bartender for years and legally you’re not supposed to set foot in there if you’ve thrown up, had a fever, or had diarrhea in the last 24hours. Every single person that has worked in a kitchen has absolutely tried to call out, been told that if they don’t show up they’re fired, and then spent the rest of the night alternately taking orders and running food and vomiting into a trash can in the corner. WhY dO wE hAVe NoRoViRuS oUtBrEaKs?!?!?

Even now at my office job, if one of my co-workers hears that someone he’s trying to call is out sick he smarmily intones “Must be nice to take a day off...” Being off sick gets you a reputation as “not a team player” and “unreliable”. Or if they even have any paid time off, it’s all in one bundle, so anytime you are out sick it subtracts from any actual vacation you are allowed to take. So people come in sick to fill their chair and spread it to everyone in their immediate vicinity. We have almost no worker protections except in the most dire cases.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
My mom and I were just texting. She doesn't feel well, but doesn't want to use FMLA because 1. they take your vacation and other time off first and 2. she doesn't want to burden the people on the other shifts who would be mandated to come in four hours early or stay four hours late to cover for her.

In the last two months, I think she's had maybe four days off. For about one third or half those days, she's worked twelve hour shifts, most of them back to back to back. Like, literal she worked Sunday to Sunday, all twelves just a couple weeks ago.

She works at a loving candy factory.

She's in a union, but they're corrupt and only protect their buddies. Union leadership signed away their right to strike years ago.

gently caress this country.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

My mom and I were just texting. She doesn't feel well, but doesn't want to use FMLA because 1. they take your vacation and other time off first and 2. she doesn't want to burden the people on the other shifts who would be mandated to come in four hours early or stay four hours late to cover for her.

In the last two months, I think she's had maybe four days off. For about one third or half those days, she's worked twelve hour shifts, most of them back to back to back. Like, literal she worked Sunday to Sunday, all twelves just a couple weeks ago.
oh, she must be a nurse. what a saint!

Orb Crabmelt posted:

She works at a loving candy factory.
oh gently caress. wtf? gently caress kiddos trick-or-treating, this is what happens when you don't cancel halloween. there is a whole supply chain!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
She's making Easter candy lol :d2a:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Geisladisk posted:

Jesus, this is literally a crime where I live. If you call in sick you don't need to specify anything and the only thing your boss can say legally is "get well soon". They can demand a doctor's note, but this is only ever done as a formality for insurance purposes if you are away for weeks.

During Covid there are mandates from the government that if you have even the mildest symptoms of any sort, you are to stay home as a precaution.

Most retail/food/customer service/entertainment/etc. jobs tend to run with the absolute bare minimum of employees actively working any given shift because profits. Because of this, one person not being on a shift means that everyone else is overworked and short-handed. This makes life hard for management, whose ultimate goal is to not have to break a sweat while making more money than the people who are actually doing the work that brings in money, and because there are no worker protections it’s really easy for bosses to put pressure on someone to come in sick.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Sorry for the derail but the topic of America's work culture, especially when it comes to sick days, infuriates me.

I worked two full-time retail jobs for about a year and a half after the financial crisis and each time I got sick I had to function on dangerous amounts of OTC meds to make it through multiple 14+ hour days in a row or risk losing my job(s). I had the flu more than once per "season", multiple colds and whatever else customers/my coworkers brought in, and each time I was sick for longer than normal. I had the whole "but I need time to get over it/I will get other people sick" conversation more than once and the response was always the same - if you take those days off without telling us at least one week in advance (one "schedule"), don't come back. Because, you know, I marked those flu days on my calendar at least a few weeks out, right?

e: The best part was, if you were visibly sick and a customer mentioned it to anyone, you'd be told to "stand further away from people" or, frequently, you'd be given some other task (cleaning, stocking) that didn't really cut down on your interactions with people but "kept you off the radar" - i.e. would hopefully prevent customers from noticing your illness. One of my managers would still make you work the hours but would break it up so you could take naps in your car or back by the loading docks. You weren't allowed to crash on the couch in the break room because you would get others sick. Astounding mental gymnastics there. I think it made her feel like she was being benevolent or something. The problem was you'd effectively be at work for like 12 hours because it wasn't like you could go anywhere during the breaks. It was really hosed up.

I have so much respect for people in retail today.

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 26, 2020

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Canadian here had a pretty mild case overall (still sucked). I'm a high school teacher and there's a bunch of cases in my school so it was just a matter of time. I'm 35, I have 3 kids and a girlfriend. They have since all tested positive

Dick Trauma posted:

A lot of weird and super vivid dreams for like 4-5 days. Kind of like when I was a kid.

A good poster posted:

I don't think so. Didnt go for a run yet, but I went back to rock climbing and was mostly ok.

I had total loss of smell for about 3 days. It took 24h to go away and then came back suddenly

Blaziken386 posted:

question for people who weren't asymptomatic: what was the first symptom you noticed having that made you go "oh poo poo i should probably get tested, huh"

A very light cough on the first day. Second day my my lungs felt weird so I got tested. Later in the day I had a lot of pain in my hips and lower back. On the third day I got extremely tired and got a fever.

The lung thing is hard to explain but it's what made me get a test.

\/ thx. On my phone so typo. \/

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2020

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sure hope you mean "tested".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

KingColliwog posted:

Canadian here had a pretty mild case overall (still sucked). I'm a high school teacher and there's a bunch of cases in my school so it was just a matter of time. I'm 35, I have 3 kids and a girlfriend. They have since all tested positive

A lot of weird and super vivid dreams for like 4-5 days. Kind of like when I was a kid.

I don't think so. Didnt go for a run yet, but I went back to rock climbing and was mostly ok.

I had total loss of smell for about 3 days. It took 24h to go away and then came back suddenly

A very light cough on the first day. Second day my my lungs felt weird so I got tested. Later in the day I had a lot of pain in my hips and lower back. On the third day I got extremely tired and got a fever.

The lung thing is hard to explain but it's what made me get a test.

\/ thx. On my phone so typo. \/

did the cough go away or was it just there for a day before stuff got worse?

ive had an intermittent cough since like, february - well before i could have actually caught covid-19 - and like once a month it comes back in force for like 8 hours or so and i think ok this is it, and then poof

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Was there for a day before it got worst. Kept a very light cough for a week or so (all symptoms except feeling tired lasted s week or so).

My girlfriend has been coughing for like 2 weeks now

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I've dodged it so far but I have lost two relatives to it (or to complications from it). Several other family members and friends have been sick with it. I figured I'd post their experiences here. This is all from either talking to them directly (in one case via zoom from their hospital room) or from talking with thier immediate family members who were there with them when they had it. I was going to post this earlier but I was trying to get the details of the two deaths clear before sharing - social media is great at casting a wide net but really bad at getting anything in-depth.

Maybe it will help someone to read this stuff. Maybe not. Regardless I think it's important to try to record experiences and share them.

Female, 37, no comorbidites posted:

This one is my wife's boss - a doctor on her clinical team. She was the first person we knew who got it. She spent three days in the hospital (the one she works at) on supplemental O2, IV meds. Prior to getting sick she was a 10k/half-marathon-for-fun type of person. This was back in June and even now she is just getting to the point where she can mentally handle 6-8 hours of work. She said she takes naps in her office and still can't "knock out a mile with [her] dog". She went from running a few miles/day to zero and has joked that she's still not ready for "a couch-to-5k ". Says that it isn't like just being tired, that she just "hits a wall" mentally and has to stop. There's no pushing through it. Some days she said she can't even make it through emails. She also said that she gets depressed really easily for no reason but that honestly might be from the fact that she's not running right now.

Female family member, late 60s, diabetic, smoker posted:

Story is still not 100% clear here. I believe she ran a fever and had a cough but did nothing for it (she was part of the "it's just a flu"/"masks infringe on our freedom" crowd). Cough got worse, experienced shortness of breath. She passed out at home/did not wake up at one point and a family member drove her to the hospital. They did not vent her, just supplemental oxygen as far as I know. She improved over the next day or so but then crashed hard and died ~36 hours after. Her immediate family still claim it was the flu plus her lifestyle.

Male family member, late 20's, overweight but nothing crazy posted:

Part of the "it's just a flu" crowd. Got the flu shot, felt sick a day or two later. Blamed the flu shot. His parents told him to go get tested or they'd quit buying him groceries (he's been out of work since July). He did, it was COVID. That was three-ish weeks ago and based on Facebook he's still down for the count but he is at least at home. Says climbing the stairs "makes [his] chest hurt". It's entirely possible he is avoiding the hospital because he is totally broke at this point. He also lied to his girlfriend about having it and now she is sick. He's an idiot.

Male family member, 53, athletic, no comorbidities posted:

Came home from work and told his daughter he felt "off". No fever. No cough. Went to work the next morning but left early, posting on Facebook that he was "really dragging today". Fever that night and I guess the cough showed up the next day. Got tested, came back positive. Cough got worse, to the point where his wife said that he couldn't make it through a meal, fever peaked over the next two days and he described it as the "worst flu [he] can remember". It took about two and a half weeks for him to shake it. During this time his wife caught it. His daughter stayed at her boyfriend's. He stayed home the next week or so, got tested again, then decided it was safe to go back to work on a Tuesday. Told people he was doing better. On that Thursday he collapsed on the stairs at work. He died en-route to the hospital. Heart attack. No direct family history of any cardio events. Was ex-military, gym-goer, frequent swimmer. Wife posted on Facebook that there was evidence of myocarditis, lung tissue inflammation/damage (I forget the term). Wife's case was milder.

Female friend, 36, no comorbidities posted:

Tested positive. Symptoms showed up after the test. Mild fever that fluctuated and lasted most of a week. Mild cough. Said she felt pressure in/on her chest early on. Husband took her to the ER. She spent a few days in-patient until they thought she was going to be okay. Said "everything hurt" for about a week. Said she "mostly" lost taste/smell and that it was "like a light switch" - she got home from work the day she went to the ER and went to make a cup of coffee and noticed that she couldn't smell it and that it just "tasted like an aluminum can". She got over it after about a week but but says the fog and the feeling of being "run over" are a real thing and haven't totally improved even after almost three weeks. I don't know if she's on any meds or anything.

Male friend, 38, no comorbidities posted:

Husband of above. He came down with it right after she did. He never had the chest pressure/difficulty breathing or loss of smell/taste. He was totally wiped out by it for almost two weeks. He also reports the mental fog, difficulty concentrating, and that he gets agitated by it. His description: "the first day I felt like I had a really bad hangover and then it turned into the worst flu I have ever had. Nothing made me feel better. I tried everything. I could barely drive [wife] to the hospital because the headache and the fuzziness were so bad. They wouldn't let me stay and I don't even remember driving home. I just passed out... I've never been sick like that... It just went on and on... I can't remember half the days I spent in bed... thought I was going to die. I don't think I ate anything until [wife] came home and made me beef broth. I don't know what I would've done if I was single and living alone... probably would've just given up."

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 29, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Loss of taste and smell are very specific/sensitive for COVID-19. Other symptoms are shared with other respiratory illnesses but if you wake up one day unable to taste things you've very likely got COVID-19.

I've had two students (college, we're all remote) test positive in the last couple days. Both early 20s, male, pretty healthy. They're feeling lovely and lost sense of smell/taste, I advised them to get tested, isolate, and watch for shortness of breath and lung issues about a week after first symptoms. The second week of symptoms is usually were you either start recovering or get really really sick and need to go to the hospital.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is what terrifies me more than anything. It's one of the most common indicators of COVID, and very uncommon for anything else because I already have hyposmia (very limited sense of smell, and a resulting limited sense of taste) most likely due to a concussion when I was a kid or teenager. If I get a bad case I'll obviously know, if I get a mild or mostly asymptomatic case I may not because this symptom is something I've lived with for 15 years.

Edit:

This is good advice for lack of appetite/energy in general. Easier to get down and keep down, high in calories. How's your appetite these days? You mentioned you lost 25 lbs - have you regained any of it? Also curious about the part about you still get winded going up a flight of stairs ~6 months after you ostensibly recovered, have you seen any improvement there, has it been consistently the same, or are some days just better than others?

I’m doing better than before but I’m having a hard time gaining weight back. My appetite is in full force but I can’t actually eat all the foods I want to. Like, I’m constantly hungry but if I devour everything I want then I will throw up.

For being winded, I’ve started doing the C25K running plan this week and I still feel weirdly winded. I was pretty loving proficient before, not running marathons but solid, and but I’m trying to pick it back up and it feels like I’ve been asleep for years. My legs feel fine but my lungs feel like I’m a chubby little boy again. But worse. It sucks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Small update : I just started working again this week and turns out I'm not completely free of post-covid symptoms (started my symptoms on oct 13 and started feeling normal on oct 19-20).
My energy levels are poo poo. I'm normaly a very hyper ADHD guy that teaches like I'm doing some sort of show people paid for, but for the moment just doing a day of boring teaching where I don't do much and ask my students to do a project gets me super tired. Like taking care of my kids at the end of the day is extremely difficult, I don't want to play with them and I might lose my temper over trivial things which I never do.

I did some more rock climbing and my cardio definitely isn't as good as it was but it's not THAT bad either.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Question for those who have got COVID - what is your vaccination history?

-When was your last flu shot before being diagnosed?
-Have you ever had FluMist (nasal flu shot with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for pneumonia? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for MMR (mumps, measles, rubella with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for BCG (tuberculosis with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?

Lots of theories that some (all?) of the above can be beneficial to preventing COVID/lessening its symptoms.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

MorrisBae posted:

Question for those who have got COVID - what is your vaccination history?

-When was your last flu shot before being diagnosed?
-Have you ever had FluMist (nasal flu shot with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for pneumonia? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for MMR (mumps, measles, rubella with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?
-Have you ever had a vaccination for BCG (tuberculosis with live virus)? Most recent shot/booster?

Lots of theories that some (all?) of the above can be beneficial to preventing COVID/lessening its symptoms.

I got all vaccines that are recommended in my province (Qc, they are all given before you turn like 16 so 20 years ago for me) and a few extra when I went on a trip in south america 7-8 years ago.

My last flu shot was last year or the one before, I'm not 100% certain I got it last year, but I had it the previous 3 for sure.
Never had FluMist, it's only used for kids here I think.
Vaccination for pneumonia? Is that a thing? I had it as a kid if it was recommended back then, but I really don't know.
MMR I had as a kid (I think here we get a shot at 1 year old and second shot at 18 months). Are people getting boosters later in life? My shot was probably 33-34 years ago
BCG I had as a baby also and I don't think people get boosters here. 33-34 years ago

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

KingColliwog posted:

Vaccination for pneumonia? Is that a thing?

Yep - Prevnar 13 and the newer Pneumovax 23. They only protect against bacterial strains of pneumonia, but the thought is if you get COVID, a bacterial secondary infection would gently caress you up good. There's a shortage of both vaccines in Europe right now because doctors are recommending flu shot + pneumonia shot as preventative against COVID.

quote:

MMR I had as a kid (I think here we get a shot at 1 year old and second shot at 18 months). Are people getting boosters later in life?

There's thoughts that a booster later in life could give you non-specific immunity from COVID for ~1 year since it's a live virus, and it puts your immune system on heightened alert or something. There's ongoing trials now of MMR and BCG boosters (mainly on health care workers) to see if they protect against COVID. US military also gives MMR boosters (two shots) to all their new recruits, and the military's number of severe COVID cases have been very, very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MorrisBae posted:

US military also gives MMR boosters (two shots) to all their new recruits, and the military's number of severe COVID cases have been very, very low.

Couldn't that just be explained by the fact that the military people who are most exposed are generally young and healthy?