Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Geisladisk posted:

Is there seriously a culture of coming into work sick as a dog over there? Even during non-covid times people here stay home with mild sniffles, which is encouraged by employers. Even from a selfish point of view, having sick people come in is idiotic. Their productivity will be terrible, and the most they will accomplish is pass whatever they have to other employees, in turn making them less productive.

Absolutely. At all but 1 of the jobs I’ve had in 20 years, there are no sick days. If you aren’t there, you don’t get paid. And even worse, if you have the temerity to insist that you’re too sick to work, you will be removed from this week’s schedule and your shifts given to “someone more reliable” in the future.

I worked as a server/bartender for years and legally you’re not supposed to set foot in there if you’ve thrown up, had a fever, or had diarrhea in the last 24hours. Every single person that has worked in a kitchen has absolutely tried to call out, been told that if they don’t show up they’re fired, and then spent the rest of the night alternately taking orders and running food and vomiting into a trash can in the corner. WhY dO wE hAVe NoRoViRuS oUtBrEaKs?!?!?

Even now at my office job, if one of my co-workers hears that someone he’s trying to call is out sick he smarmily intones “Must be nice to take a day off...” Being off sick gets you a reputation as “not a team player” and “unreliable”. Or if they even have any paid time off, it’s all in one bundle, so anytime you are out sick it subtracts from any actual vacation you are allowed to take. So people come in sick to fill their chair and spread it to everyone in their immediate vicinity. We have almost no worker protections except in the most dire cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU