Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gaming UPS
Pro-Gamer UPS
Anti-Gamer UPS
View Results

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
is sine wave really needed? i just bought an apc 1000 for like $130 and see it does not support sine wave. is my computer going to slowly fry?

i also hooked my router and modem to it. also my home security system (camera hub and DVR box) oh and my sprinkler system because i was sick of my sprinklers going off at 8 PM every time we had a power outage

also here's my stats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

if your computer’s psu does not have a 110/220 V little plastic orange switch on the back, then it must use a pure sine wave ups

unless you're messin' with me i don't think i've ever seen a PSU without one (except maybe some pre-fab HP desktop or something)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I'm too lazy to turn off the sounds on the few different UPSes i have in my house so when the power goes out I get to listen to a series of warning beeps until the power gets fixed

i'll turn the sound off, someday

this is me. it's super annoying because i have young kids and if the power goes out, this wakes them up.

it doesn't help that the only way to turn off these defaulted-to-on beeps is by having to hook them up to a loving computer via usb cable and turn them off in software

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the back of my UPS looks like this:

the way i have live TV set up in my house is I have an HD antenna on my roof, then a coaxial cable goes all the way from there along the entirety of my house to an HD Homerun in my basement. then i get live TV on every TV in my house via Plex, which works in conjunction with the HD Homerun box.

should i put it into the coaxial ports on the back of this thing first before it goes to the HD Homerun? the only thing i am worried about is signal degradation. as it is, some stations i BARELY get, like when i was using splitters i wouldn't get channel 7 (ABC) at all. does using something like this on the UPS degrade the signal at all, in the same way a splitter or coupler does?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah okay, thanks! i had heard it's very important to "ground" the HD antenna due to protentional lightning/fire hazards but i didn't know if this would be considered "grounding" it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

It varies by region, too. Here in Denver the air is super dry and there have been days where there's enough wind that my ham antennas develop enough static charge to spark to ground. That's another situation in which having some sort of surge protector to shunt those volts off will help

cool, thanks again. yeah I really don't care about losing an HD Homerun box or whatever, i just wanted to prevent house fires and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i actually one time had lightning strike my parents house and it resulted in my p3 700 mhz desktop from ever booting again

it took me a few days to figure out but taking out the PCI ethernet card got it booting again. so i guess lightning traveled through the coax, to the modem, over the ethernet, only to my PC?? the modem wasn't even affected somehow