Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

joepinetree posted:

Yeah. But the research I am talking about is international in scope. The key defining aspect of the expansion of the welfare state was not the election of social democrats, but the threat of communist victory. In places like West Germany and France a lot of the welfare state expansions were done by center right christian democratic parties, and the real deciding factor there was if there was a "threat" of communism becoming popular.

that’s interesting do you remember any links or titles?

I also am not sure if there is a lot of research on it but it’s also interesting that the countries with the strongest safety net are also generally the most racially homogeneous which I’ve wondered if it’s by design or just a coincidence of where the prominent “welfare states” are (basically Scandinavia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Milo and POTUS posted:

The term welfare state seems loaded to hell for anyone else?

Anyway, I think of jumbo and laugh sometimes

yeah it is loaded it’s how Americans refer to them and Americans would gladly sacrifice 100,000 minorities rather than reduce the corporate tax rate 1%. do other countries use the term?