Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Went with Dark Blue, for the aforementioned reason of we already rely on IQ a significant amount, and Arcade just for pure vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Power.

The Color of Vehemence
Fire's Strong Red - 6
Air's Swift Green - 0
Water's Serene Deeper Blue - 18
Earth's Solid Yellow - 2

You realize the power of...
PSI Viability - 2
PSI Mirror - 2
PSI Hellfire - 3
PSI Silver Flash - 5
PSI Arcade - 16

...LOADING

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:ohdear:

Sorry, Blue...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

:ohdear:

Sorry, Blue...

We didn't kill Red, she just... went on ahead.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I do wonder if sunburners made it out fine, hopefully this didn't break our promise not to hurt the backup

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edit: Wait, Sunburners are the cultists of Burner that hated Red, right? gently caress any non-Backup sunburner for wishing ill upon our camp councilor.

vvvvv: Woo! We can still keep the promise to Blue!

Randalor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2024

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sunburners do not count as Backup.
0 Backup have been slain.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

-Sheet Updated-

Tyrant and Psychic have grown to Expert level. Dark Wave has been empowered. Vehemence Blue has saturated to Vehemence Deep Blue (IQ & Magic & Psychic). Gravity is now at your tyrannical command. ESP is now γ-level in power. Realized the power of PSI Clouding β. Realized the power of PSI Arcade β. The Black Blade and Old Suit resonate with your Tyranny, and get a +1 each to DMG and DR. Below links the Expert powers of the other unchosen classes.

Original Class Choices & Apprentice-Level Abilities
Adept-Level Abilities
Expert-Level Abilities

STILL LOADING...

...STILL LOADING

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Looking at the expert level for Chirurgeon is interesting considering that's what the original tied vote glitch was on, for class choices.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I stand corrected, PSI Arcade was 100% the correct choice.

e: What happens if one or more of the bonus rolls on a 12 is also a 12?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 5, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... uh...

Guys...

OH HOLY gently caress posted:

Rations
00000000000 days worth of food.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Randalor posted:

... uh...

Guys...

Cue the Tyrant immediately rushing to the MC&D, using Gravity and shaking it violently until food falls out.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PSI Arcade is essentially an early-lategame power. Because of the Many-Coloured Perk from 90 Cross (who is meant to be a Paradise-only Backup), along with several Arcade events (the game that won the Avi's Question technique, winning the Psychic Psycho doll, visiting the Unseen Arcade / Nuclear Arcade), your PSI abilities picked up enough to throw PSI Arcade into the potential ability pool.

Bloody Pom posted:

e: What happens if one or more of the bonus rolls on a 12 is also a 12?

You keep rolling, and things start to get unstable.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I finally realize I need to scream. I flail and grab the metal skull of the World King, now wide awake aware in my own nightmare. I'm falling in a death tunnel, screaming bloody-panicked murder, when all of a sudden I feel the weight of my crown. I stop spinning in my fall, tucking out into a comfortable drop. It occurs to me so simply that I feel a strange disbelief bordering on disgust. Of course. My crown. I just need to follow the weight and pull of my crown, and use that as the measure against all other fields of mass! The period I spent blind with my gravity-senses hyperattuned make the revelation so clean I actually smile, and suddenly realize I can just spin in my terminal velocity, feel the swim of my weight, and burn blood to suddenly freeze me in slow-motion drift.

YES!

[+Joy]

HP: [ 23 / 33 ] [-10 HP]
FP: [ 14 / 15.▒ ][-1 FP]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

The slow-spin ends, and suddenly my momentum and inertia is going UP, simple as I was falling before. I swim against the gravity, kicking on currents to bound up and up, until I gently spin and then fly back down into the endless freefall. Hunter won't hear THAT, will she? I'm already here. Already far fall free in the dark of the Back; aren't I?
(Yes, Tyrant. You fall with me, under the All. Praise, Child. For realizing your right to swim against the shadow. Hurry, Tyrant Child. Bound it more to still us.)
I already am. I lose a little more each time, but before my fall speeds up I've already swung the current around to do another kick, leap, reach. Over and over until I hold down retch and shout as I spin and fall down, gulping stomach acids. I pound my fist down and slow myself. It feels strange, though. I swallow and sit up slowly.
(Isn't it fair? The Back can be much more gentle, when near this End. They did such a crafted work of the stitching; you're not far from your return.)
I open my eyes and spend a long while just getting my stomach back to calm, gulping the flavorless air while holding the metal skull. My eyes dart around... my left eye kind of hurts. The unwell lighting isn't happy to see me soaking in its euphotons.

What? A city?
(A Crumbling one, Tyrant Child. You're in grave danger, but this is the only road through that might make it in time.)
In time for what?
(...)
Wait. The Crumbling City. I need to try to think.

(IQ - I think at some point...) 10 - [4]+[1]+[2] = 7 - Success.

The Silver Mind posted:

The Crumbling City... you scavenged some rations from the outskirts of it in the first days of arrival. It was displaced into the mountains and cliffs, a haunted city of tremendous skyscrapers with broken heights crowned by strange brilliances of iridescence. It was a place of tremendous power, some peculiar wrinkle in the new world concentrating an immensity of dangerous constructs and powerful entities in one place, never leaving the city limits. There's lethalities like Combustion Crows, Trash Demons, Nuclear Orbs, Rogue Neatfreaks, Street Toughests, Living Skyscrapers, Concrete Kings, Euengine Bikers, and more. The environment is hostile as well, with unreliable footing at every turn along with localized hazards for every element type. It's very unfair, but will cultivate Levels very quickly, as well as pose constant boss fights and high-tier Events that leads to great treasures and artifacts. You are in its Back, and must risk a way to navigate and survive it, get out of it, and then possibly navigate the actual Crumbling City to fully escape.

It is a minimum Level 40 area, with Level 50 being considered 'safe'.

Oh.

[The World King has joined your party!]

Oh no.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:tif:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rienne, Levity, and Gandiva looked up from where they sat on the sidewalk of the store. There was a cold raining starting to fall. Lumes walked out with a nonplussed look and a greasy bag full of something hot. "Yeah. Works t'same. But don't look t'same as I recall. There was a sale on taquitos." The Holiest Knight tossed down the bag to the two werewolves after she pulled out a handful to munch on in dim thought. Everyone sat with a dumb expression, trying to understand if they were in the Back, or somewhere just past it. Since they had confirmed the convenience store, the next step was to go Home and see what they saw.

No comforts. It had been a silent search, all four walking slow in the chilling rain while taking in what scents they could. Nothing to be found but the inexplicable of the restaurant's foundation, the vinyard, the solar panels, the pond that did not exist before the Sunsplit, and where they gathered now, by the coppery bathroom stall. Before real dread could settle in, however, Gandiva broke the silence with something he had noticed. "The waters aren't right, over in the river. They have that same color in them. The structure upriver. It's still doing the same thing." Rienne didn't even make a command; she just stood up and starting walking, and the others followed, grateful to leave the grave-like field. Levity swore she had seen something in white flitting about, at the furthest edge of her sight.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Black August posted:

Sunburners do not count as Backup.
0 Backup have been slain.

Even the ambassador sunburner/backup?
Didn't every cult have a backup-affiliated emissary

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[...]

[Yeah, that says 'Crumbling City' in the location check.]

[This is the Crumbling City Back. Absolutely a worst case scenario. Nevermind the inexplicable miracle of how the character even ended up there. Whatever the Burners had done, it had produced a nuclear explosion of such ridiculous overflowed damage that the character had been catapulted at ridiculous speeds. The simultaneous save of the destroyed nuclear-wine suit and the first-time use of Gravity allowed the ultra-fast speeds to be stopped with no damage from any source. But they had ended up embedded somewhere in the high mountains, approximately somewhere within what was mapped out as Crumbling City territory. The map was a complete blank right now, so no telling how exactly to leave without getting softlocked or just straight up killed.]

[The Crumbling City Back is much more dangerous that its already-lethal front. A lot was known about its Back, simply because the Crumbling City was an infamous place for every onerunner; universally loathed, rarely bothered with, but overdocumented out of spite. Like the front, the Crumbling City Back had three 'layers' to it. The street levels, the skyscraper levels, and the underground levels. All three had possible exits. The worst enemies were found in the skyscraper layer, but that was where it was easiest to get back out in front, especially with Gravity. The street levels were reliable and a lot easier to hide in, but took a while. The underground layer was just a bad idea, but it did have the highest concentration of treasure chances.]

[One of them makes the most sense...]

[The Blue Book opens for some way to help drive clarity.]

The Blue Book posted:

"...don't get it, it's the *trash can* of gem..."

"...doesn't last forever as some onerunners claim, but rather for a random amount of time with an unfair range of anywhere from 3 to *30* days long. It locks the clock to be permanently 3am, with no daytime or any other time period possible until the event ends. This is not a normal Witching Hour either, but rather one augmented with dozens of unique and brokenly unfair sadism events involving Level 70-90 monsters and..."

"...becomes a sort of false superdungeon, where the ruins can be raided for a very high chance of a severely destructive event or enemy, or a small chance to find something useful related to the Megalith and Lorded Land lost to..."

"...good to keep in mind you can just select one of the six attributes and immediately see every single ability that uses or affects..."

"...real annoying ones where it's obviously a trap artifact, but one that makes it clear that with the *exact* right build, you could make use of its immense power without the curse..."

"...usually culminate in one of the final parties that they throw, with the most common ones being the Barbecue, the Graduation, the Festival, the Sport, the..."

"...in dangerous psychological territory by the most common tell, the Tyrant Rave. If the screen goes black and voice-like distortion starts playing, it's..."

"...to disagree with how incredibly rare Pink is as a colour of magic, making its spells ridiculously potent. Even with them though, the Florida Suit's guaranteed insanity is a hard pill to..."

"...1 down, not too bad; 2 down, BIG drop in safety; 3-4 dead, gets marginally worse; 5-6 gone, gets way, way, emphasis-WAY worse..."

"...unusual lesser artifacts with unique mechanics, like the Blackthorn, Meadows, Kat, and Bearclaw Knives, which all..."

"...very risky to turn on, since its primary curse is a very high chance to tune into a 'live coverage' channel for an on-the-spot major disaster that affects..."

"...most common method of getting adamant if the Fallen Meteor event, or gaining access to a way to force meteors down from local orbit, or mine them directly using..."

"...one of the more stupid suits, which is a shame, since its name and appearance is so amazing. But taking x4 and dealing x4 damage just isn't a risk worth..."

"...most fought at once was done by onerunner 'Airbeans', who managed to kite Burner and an aggression-glitched Doubler to Moulder, then aggroing Hunter to come to the spot, and THEN lucking into Bleeder arriving by chance, making for an amazing screenshot before..."

"...very cheap method of fusion, it's also ridiculously sloppy and risky unless you don't care about the sacrifice of two items for a strong chance that..."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Regallion posted:

Even the ambassador sunburner/backup?
Didn't every cult have a backup-affiliated emissary

Correct. The Backup has a Liaison member for the other six cults. Fire Joker was the Liaison to the Sunburners, but she was not down in that area at the time. She is alive for now.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

On unrelated note, did the CHARACTER just IQ check a blue book entry? That raises some real questions.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Leave it to goons to always vote for the chaos option :v:

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Regallion posted:

On unrelated note, did the CHARACTER just IQ check a blue book entry? That raises some real questions.

It's a weird blurb, yeah. The roll is labeled IQ, but the quote is labeled Silver Mind, and seems to be written from the Silver's perspective, but refers to Game Concepts, which I don't think the Silver's done before, or at least not with any regularity.

It's possible because we're in the Back, maybe? It seems to me like being in the Back gives game-characters some additional perspective on their situation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It reads more like an in-game description of the city rather than a blue book entry. If I had to hazard a guess, it may bee like actual rogue-likes that have an in-game bestiary that normally gets filled in as you play, and the Silver Mind just bypassed the "as you play" and displayed the full description of the area.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Like, y'all, chicken's out of food

We oughta *hustle*

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, we need to get back there now with the skyscraper layer.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted skyscraper so we can haul rear end to free our chicken buddy. Y'all are God damned monsters for putting treasure over friendship.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It is not entirely clear whether the clock is actually ticking right now either

Also lol at the guaranteed insanity of the pink florida suit

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Black August posted:

There's lethalities like Combustion Crows, Trash Demons, Nuclear Orbs, Rogue Neatfreaks, Street Toughests, Living Skyscrapers, Concrete Kings, Euengine Bikers, and more.

This absolutely reads like a list of enemies in the original Wasteland, but even weirder.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just picturing Living Skyscrapers as a whole host of Earthbound's Dungeon Man. Oh man, imagine having to go inside each one and destroy them from the inside out. Then again, if they are buildings, we can make them go sub-orbital...

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
rogue_neatfreak.jpg

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Similar situations have happened where the Silver Mind acted as both psychic narration and game mechanic narration. Silver Mind quote blocks can be imagined as in-game pop ups and checking the information screen, with the character pondering on what loose information their psionics managed to catch in its ethereal info-filters.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Black August posted:

The underground layer was just a bad idea, but it did have the highest concentration of treasure chances.

You can't say this and not expect us to vote for it.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about our chicken buddy, a bit of table talk here perhaps, but I'm assuming Black August would make it really obvious if the decision we're making is going to impact our chicken severely.

The Blue Book posted:

"...most fought at once was done by onerunner 'Airbeans', who managed to kite Burner and an aggression-glitched Doubler to Moulder, then aggroing Hunter to come to the spot, and THEN lucking into Bleeder arriving by chance, making for an amazing screenshot before..."

This sounds incredible.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 5, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thinkin about thos airbeans

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Sky - Street - Subterran

Freefall upward to champion the nightmare levels of the Skyscraper Layer. - 12
Skulk ultra-commando down through the slow but steady levels of the Street Layer. - 3
Risk it all on the chaos and carnage in the subway levels of the Underground Layer. - 13

...LOADING

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Marluxia posted:

You can't say this and not expect us to vote for it.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about our chicken buddy, a bit of table talk here perhaps, but I'm assuming Black August would make it really obvious if the decision we're making is going to impact our chicken severely.
Speaking as a GM: Saying something like that at my table is a really good way to make me change my plans specifically to gently caress with you. :ohdear:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It seems an awful lot like the Wanderers are gonna have an encounter with Smericia...though I suppose there's always the chance that they get pulled through the Back into the Heaven End before anything truly horrific happens to them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Have we been given any clue if she has a presence at all in the other End?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It’s us, splatting all those @s

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Bloody Pom posted:

Black August: Option 3 is the most unknown but you may find treas--

Goons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I was kind of hoping we'd get an even split, just to see what a hybrid situation would be. Inverted skyscraper? Subway car that's so long it could double as an orbital elevator?