Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Numerous Voices In Bland Unison] - NORTHEAST.

Hahaha! Brain, you trickster. Just checking! Because you know you make reality sort of blur in a really indecisive way when under duress and you're not BRIGHT so you doubt yourself a lot on decisions that were certain right up until making them and you're like hey yeah hi hey hi yeah hey you're sure left is left, right?

Right. Because you're going left, since it's northeast. Which is right on the map, and that's east, so you're going left, since that's east, going northeast around the bend from where you are in RELATION to the weird tree and you yeah yes that's simple that's obvious that's

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] (Disquiet)

̨͝ ̢ssimple. You have to save Kwiat. You have to do it so she doesn't die. So she can lay eggs! So you can eat. So you can not die. So you can complete your quest. ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. You can find the plant. You can do it. you're following the river on the left and that's simple you can do that

OK. Here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...LOADING

PROTIP posted:

If you're unlucky enough that the RNG gives you Merkja over Kaigen, your best option is to RUN! You can count on the luck she'll abandon the Hideout within a few weeks, and chance survival in the wilds or cleared dens. Fighting Merkja, much less bringing her to a defeat state before she uses Iron Arts, is a poor idea. Sometimes you'll get lucky, and in her encounter dialogue, when she [Gets A Whiff Off You], there's a small chance it'll 'make her flinch'. From there, you can try to hammer home a status effect stack or stat down for an easy win and first night Hideout with no blood between you and the Iron Saint.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok. First. First you want to see if you can bring back the Silver Mind. One try. Just one little soft push.

(PSYCHIC [PE] - [1]+[2]+[2] = 5 - Success!)

oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH

Ohhhhh no no not the mushroom. No. No please no.

Ok, wow- they listened?

[MUSHROOM MIND]

Ok. Ok. It's sore, tense, unstable- but strong. Shining. It... it's trying to show you something, as you let your heartbeat set your footpace to the northeast, as you approach a watery deep grove.

In the dim silver reflection, you can see a possible near-future.

Who Did We Come In Conflict With?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Vote rationale: "MC&D" was associated with the weird minimart we encountered so I'm curious whether we can learn more about that faction (character?) via Wine.

Loving the aesthetic of this so far but agreed with some of the earlier posters that it's a bit of a mindfuck.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Evened up the votes cause that's been fun so far, plus maybe we'll meet a drunken war fae or an angry wine fae?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Who'd We Meet?

WATER [Wild] - 0
WINE [MC&D] - 7
WAR [Renegade] - 5

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your brain is on fire. The fire was silver, burning cool but pure, like forcing your bare feet to stand on a rubber mat during a summer day. Silver static filled your mind, crowding out the Dark with its efforts to refind coherence so soon after a full manifestation. Little it said made sense, but it did keep your mind off your anxiety for a second.

The silver Mind posted:

remember that when you and him first invited me to be an instructor and the stones felt warm underfoot during the

The trees were growing more dense, the land sloping up gently with depressions filling with the river, creating little ponds, groves, and swamps. Their colors were deep and bright with the lovely warning of biological hell, should the wrong one be plucked.

The Silver mind posted:

but then the Doctor she'd just eat them by the plate full and the more poison the better flavor she said

You stop for a second to mind the frightening speed of your heart, muscles hurting as you ride the wave of physical stress, exposure, and gnawing uncertainty of whether you were going the right way. You're under a deformed tree, whose gnarled shape is covered in thousand of tiny blue flowers. You can hear water. You can hear your blood thundering in your ears. You- hey. Hey you can also

(Shhh It's The Silver Mind) posted:

do you feel that? do you feel that?
someone's thinking in a stone
someone's thinking with a red

...yeah! You do feel that, resonating through your own psionic senses. You didn't like how eager they were to extend themselves this soon after stress, but the excitement of brushing against another mutant mind was too strong to quiet.

You go into hiding. You lie down among the draping carpet flower of the tree, and slowly, slowly, crawl with intent around the base, listening to the sounds beyond it. It was up on a small lip, before a drop into a rocky and watery grove, stone platforms spotted with flower rings and deep puddles.

On one of the stones, there paced a man. He was lean and compact, human. He wore a hat and heavy coat against the chill, under which could be seen a working dress shirt and slacks. The outfit spoke to your Gift, of dense magic folded into the neatly innocuous fibers. He was pacing back and forth with a lot of energy, holding up to his face a smooth curved green crystal; one point touched to temple and the other to the cheek. The crystal had an unusual resonance a lot like you did- it appeared to be wired with functions psychic, magical, and even partly divine in some way, facilitating tremendous communication distance.

Your psychic sense spreads in static cloud-silver, past the man and the crystal, confirming both him and the object as psionic. Your senses are dragged with the static, blocking out the Dark for a dreamy moment of hearing his voice. The voice of Deimos, the Silver Mind droned over the radio static.

He was angry. He was loud.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] (This Guy Is Intense)

Deimos posted:

"...Amy, no- Amy don't feed me fuckin' lines to cover your rear end. Let me explain-"
He paces, dragging a dirty nail across the crystal.
"No Amy I- yeah I GET that I- ok. Ok. Yeah."
"Yes I know what you got told by the top but-"
Another round of pacing, before he finally gets a word in.
"Amy, Amy I need you to just listen to me for five fuckin' seconds while I describe to you the shitshow I'm eating up here. Ok? Thank- yes thank you. gently caress."
He snaps his fingers in time while stepping in a circle.
"I got Sauber playing hunter. I got the Beast off leash and just fuckin' up whatever he comes across and inviting all kinds of trouble from afar. I got Ulthar wandering around now like little puking landmines. AND, I got these religious goons on joyride parade- Amy, Amy some of them got hands on nukes. That's radiance, Amy. Does that get across the full cowboy of this place? Because, those sky-loving playgrounds? Are already terraforming, real fast. They're making GBS threads on my chest here Amy; do they get that, up top? Huh? Does Carter want to shake my hand after I get my nuts chewed off by werewolves?!"
He stabs the air pointing as he hisses the last sentence. He waits listening for a good minute before he finally replies, more calm.
"Ok. That reassures me, yes. As long as I have time, I can deliver Merkja. Yeah."
He relaxes, staring up at the afternoon iron.
"...yeah I'm near one, what do you want? ...Star Cakes and a Minotaur Black. Sure. Yeah. Yeah. I'm going to stock up, pass by, and then start sweeping through the valley again before I come back down. It's changing every day, Amy. Ok. Yup. Bye."

He holds the curved crystal down, and stares at it, waiting a minute. It audibly loses its psychic resonance, as well as its magic channeling. The man named Deimos clenches both fists especially hard, and through rigid teeth and under breath as best his temper can bear, he rages "FFFFFFCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!" before kicking a log as hard as possible, blowing open the base to allow a menagerie of crawling flowery insects to seep out and fall to the waters.

Deimos punches the air a few more times, his jacket flapping wild and hat shifting titled as sweat soaks his face. He pauses to stare off into the void. You feel it as soon as he does it- mutant neurons flaring, listening for a wavelength only they could receive.

(Deimos - PSI ??? [3]+[3]+[6] = 12 - Success.)

With his back turned to you, he puts a finger in the air, and begins to rant with a panting-fierce tone of voice. "I knew it. I knew it." He chops his hand into his palm, pacing side to side. "I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew I heard some little under-the-toilet turd rolling around the back of my head."

He turns, coat flaring, with a gun visible- it was a semi-automatic, with some plated-on magic attachments you couldn't make sense of. He doesn't raise it, but he does flash it with hand rested near.

"Whatever hellcave you crawled out of, go back to it. Git. Piss OFF."

Something「carnelian」spackles your brain, burning it with the hostile intent and sudden intrusion into your own thoughts.

(Deimos [Rival Psychic Contest] - 「Carnelian Chance」[4]+[3]+[6] = 13 - Success.)

...but the static in your wounded brain coalesces yet again, growing powerful in response to the attack. Maybe it reverbs off of your immense Will. Maybe it's hyped by the support of the new mushroom neurons. Maybe it was eager after trashing Merkja to test mettle against another Psychic. Either way-

(Psychic Reawakened - 「The Silver Mind」[2]+[1]+[3] = 6 - Success!)
Reminder- per your sheet, non-passive PSI Power use needs a 6 or less to succeed.
So, great work!

-you put forth the most active effort yet, reflecting the carnelian lash in on the infinite mirror of the Silver Mind. The lash stings, but it learns nothing, and wounds lightly. Deimos reacts by throwing both hands up, and retreating a few steps to hold onto a tall rock.

"Ohhhhhh come on come on no no. No way. No fuckin' WAY. What are you, huh? I can-"

(Deimos - PE [3]+[5]+[4] = 12 - Failure)

He pulls the gun, and is aiming it at the treeline you're in... but he can't seem to pinpoint you.

"I can find you. C'mon. Don't gently caress around. You with Merkja? You cult?"

He clicks his teeth as he continues to sweep his mind, eyes, and gun over the treeline, sometimes turning to peer over his shoulder. Jumpy jumpy jumpy. But he seems pretty sure of where you could be. You were left behind the cover of the tree, able to peek at him now and then. It doesn't take long for your hyperaware senses and lingering reach of the Silver Mind to make you notice the strange gem-like gleaming that comes from several of the plants in the grove. Even as you look down at a shadowy leaf near you...

...Bubblegem Pods! You were in the right spot! Which you had been beaten to by a coked-up psychic with an expensive suit and agenda against the Iron Saint. He apparently worked for MC&D, and your Gift of Magic told you that he was part Fae.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] (what do I do what do I do what do I do)

Your brain is thundering with heartbeat and tension. Your neck seizes up as you square your jaw so hard it pops, making you bend your head between your legs to take in air silently as you try to manage your panic over what action to take. He has a loving GUN! He was a psychic, too - he knows you're here!!

Colors rage over your mind. Black billows up ink through the rough-gleam silver, sometimes hinting blue. Your anxiety forces your brain into overdrive, a dozen ideas presenting themselves with equal pressing importance and viability. You try to narrow them down to what reality will allow, fighting precious seconds as you force air into your lungs and ready your body to obey your demands.

ThhhHIIIINNNKKKkkk thinkthinkthinkthinkthink

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Player Choice
Deimos is hostile and tweaking. You got lucky with the Silver Mind having enough strength to mount an offense capable of fighting off the more powerful PSI of the Fae representative. But now you have to decide a way to approach the short-fuse situation if you want the bubblegem pods.

How Do I Deal With This Guy?

HP: [ 7 / 18 ]
FP: [ 12 / 14 ]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Voting will end later tonight.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Voted for Appeal but it feels like there are no good choices.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I don't think we should sell out Merkja, she seems like a bad person to make an enemy out of. I picked Tyrant because it seems like it asserts our presence while also not necessarily escalating the situation into a fight right away.

This guy seems like he doesn't have any beef with us so we can probably get by without fighting if we make the right choice. In this vein, the "Lie" option also seems like it could even possibly de-escalate if we're lucky and he finds an absurd and obvious lie funny, but there's certainly a risk of it backfiring.

(Are we allowed to reference the Blue Book before making choices?)

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I also picked Tyrant because the cokehead twink tried to neg us and we must show dominance

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I also went for Tyrant. Saying "here I am" so he can shoot us is a funny pick, but it does seem like the best option to possibly get out of it without fighting and/or making enemies out of powerful people.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted Tyrant.

Because we ARE the Tyrant.

It's time we acted like it.

It even says so on our sheet!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Lets make a deal!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Voting ends in 30 minutes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Dealin' With Deimos

[Psychic] I'm SURE we'll win a fight against this powerful coked-up Psychic. - 0
[Tyrant] March out and present yourself fearlessly. Let the Dark speak. - 7
[Appeal] I know about Merkja. Let's make a deal. - 4
[Lie] Hi yes this is cultist speaking. I'm actually *the* [1d7] Lord! - 0
[MURDEROUS INTENT] Kill. Pull your gun, ready all powers, and strike. - 0

[You look back through the Blue Book for any advice, but this was just one of those early-game situations where you just had to hope for the best of the options presented. It was Deimos, after all. The Tyrant option should do some work, whatever the outcome.]

...LOADING

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
i guess i voted a bit late, but LET THE DARKNESS SPEAK

this silver dude's been talking too much anyhow

and the fae owe their tiend to hell, time to pay

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

You're so happy the Silver Mind is quiet again. so so so happy it's quiet it means the man with the Gun can't hear you think can't run up screaming and BANG BANG BANG your meat is ripped apart and the scythe is kissing your heart-

"C'MON! COME AT ME!"

get the plants for Kwiat you gotta save Kwiat you need Kwiat you gotta get the plants

Deimos tires out again, nostrils flaring as he aims the gun up and relaxes his stance enough to catch his breath while thinking, muttering out loud "Know I saw you. KNOW I saw you. Know you're still here."

One minute of silence. Only the river singing, and chill wind over the flowers. His shoes clacking over the rock. You're holding your breath, unable to stop focusing on the speed of your heart, shivering and curled up so tight you're cramping. You want to breathe, but fear keeps it from you just a second longer each time, until your vision fuzzes, and you gently seize.

The world dips into shadow, in which you were shivering flesh too afraid to move an inch, lest thundering giants smash you instantly.

But this world was the one past your fear- it was the nothing that your anxiety flowed about in orbit.

Your eyes flare wide open, unblinking. You twist even further into your fetal in the flowers. You continue to hold your breath.

The Silver Mind wasn't there to dazzle. YOU weren't there, paralyzed with indecision and the overwhelm of the last 48 hours.

But it was there. It had been there when you first pulled the trigger, and you knew it was here now, calm and sullen with a hand out to you.

OST: [TYRANT]

The Dark posted:

It's ok now.
We're going to overcome.
You struggled a lot,
and look where it got you.

Psychics play games.
We use that to our advantage.
Your mind is thinny-quick with fear,
so let our instinct think for us.

The light leaves your eyes, as you black out from lack of air...

(The Tyrant Wants Control)
(Will 18, -5 to the roll for 50% Anxiety, 13 or less)
([5]+[6]+[2] = 13 - Success.)

The Tyrant holds you aloft by the scruff of your suit coat, effortlessly.
The heart-threatening tightness trapped in your chest is snuffed out.
Muscles soften, expand, strengthen, become confident.
You're cold inside, and God bless it's so NUMB.
You don't feel anything,
but the animate of your body,
bright with power. The drive to conquer.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

My eyes are still open and lightless, even as I draw in air, seconds away from the suffocation threshold of permanent damage. Despite the nightmarish need for oxygen, I pull it in as slow as a morning breath, and rise up once my body is revived. I waste no time.

I march out from behind the tree, with my revolver aimed casually with both hands. He's a threat. On some kind of recreational or combat drug? Powerful psionics, unsure of what they're capable of. He just finished talking with a superior, leaves him worked up and looking for something to take it out on. But the Silver Mind pulled weight, didn't it? It bounced the neuron-searing, leaving him unsure if that's a viable tactic. Gives me the space to keep pushing him off balance.

(Intimidation - !Tyranny 16 - [1]+[3]+[4] = 8 - Success.)

Deimos sees me. He startles, gasping as he takes me in, eyes blinking rapidly in the dim forest overcast so he can see to bring his gun down to aim at me- but he saw me with the revolver already aimed at him first, and it forces his hesitation. We're at a standoff now, and he knows I could have taken the first shot multiple times already. He's more off balance and unsure of his reality. Eyes wet and dilated, facing me with the excitement of a showdown. His tone is casual as he tries to control his fear.

"...you really are a little turd, huh? The hell are you?"

I smile. Normally, we have problems speaking from the midnight cleft struck through our gray. But I can slow down enough, exert focus and will and time, and speak with the warbling growl of coherence. I smile a little wider when I see his reaction to my voice. I can still smell something off him from the Silver Mind's touch-and-go, a hint of his fears and nerves. I delve into the cleft of mind where Magic and Midnight met, where there was knowledge of the Fae.

(Occult Lore - !Darkness 14 - [4]+[1]+[2] = 7 - Success. [-1 HP])
HP: [ 6 / 18 ]

The Dark posted:

The Fae.

There's a much longer history here you're going to pass by for a summary: The Dreamlands are a nexus of many things, one of which is its Mana-rich leylines and lands. When the Mana of those lands and the dreams of living things interacted, Faeries were born. They could be Ogres, born from Dreams of Might; Kappas, born from Dreams of Lakes; Red Caps, born from Dreams of Blood. They haunt the Dreamlands and the gates to the waking world.

They're not the problem. The Fae-Touched like Deimos are. Mortals who made their way into the Dreamlands often interacted with its abundance of the Mythos, and would go mad. Some of the corrupted would then become glamoured by the dreams of the living, changing them into Fae-like monstrosities. These nightmares overtook large territories of the Dreamlands, creating kingdoms of abuse.

What do they enjoy? Enslaving faeries, finding weak mortals, dragging them screaming through gates, and then breaking them in the Dreamland kingdoms until they're loyal. This allows the glamour of the Fae to fill the new cracks in their mind, gifting them Magic power, creating the Fae-Touched.

I tell him I'm a damned soul. Just paying my tithe. It seems to get under his skin, fine shoes dancing on the wet rocks a little faster as he shifts his weight and aim.

I relax my aim to be from the hip, letting him see it. I let my other hand open and close slowly, feeling the shadows under the trees. He was out in the open. I was halfway between him and the treeline cover. His twitch reflex was likely faster than mine. But I could handle him. I just had to pick decisively.

Right now, Deimos was sweating bullets and about ready to accidentally twitch a few into me. So I need to press the moment. I need to do something to my advantage.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Dark posted:

The Silver Mind leaves lingering impressions of what hides behind his skull, allowing instinct to follow a hunch. How should we deal with this?

PLAYER SUGGESTION
This Is My Show Of Tyranny

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

voting for psycho - we got lionheart and murderous intent, why not try and use it to full advantage! (also hp are a bit low for boss battles or to burn more imo)

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Voting for psycho entirely because I'm really curious what exactly that's going to look like.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Agreed with psycho. This guy is just a hired goon, let's convince him that loving with us is more trouble than it's worth.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Voting for psycho entirely because I'm really curious what exactly that's going to look like.

Voted for psycho entirely because the option was labeled "be a complete loving psycho" haha

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

How will I make Deimos pliable? I'll do it by-

Use sorcery to make him stand down. - 0
Control the threat of his anger by challenging him to a fist fight. - 1
Shoot him in the leg to disable him. - 0
Be a complete loving psycho. - 6

Corruptions posted:

The Black Crown
Heavy cap-like scar flowering a unique black. Seems to be part of the brain.
All damage done to the Skull/Brain Hit Location is reduced to 1 HP per attack.

OST: What's Wrong With You?

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

I stare at Deimos, unflinching. He watches me, waiting for sudden movement, braving as he levels the gun at my face.

You know what?

I think he needs to be put in his place. I think that after Merkja, I need to assert that there's a force more important than everyone else here now. I need to establish I have a quest, and nothing will prevent its fulfillment.

More than that though, provoking me more than any death-driven task, is the fact that I don't like this noisy, rude, angry magic man.

I tuck my gun into my belt to take him off guard, and begin to walk towards him, confidently.

"...the gently caress are you doing? Get back."

No, I tell him. I smile. We're going to play. Psychics like to play, Faeries liked games. Come on. I keep my head leaned down so his gun is aimed right at it. I approach with both hands raised as move in close- he's breathing faster, rooted to the spot.

"You try anything stupid and I'll-"

I reach out, grabbing the barrel of his gun, and press it directly to my forehead. Deimos' mouth moves, but he can't articulate his confusion. I don't break eye contact. I don't stop smiling.

Come on, I tell him. Come on, Deimos. Let's play a game. Let's play roulette.

His eyes flick to his gun- a semi-automatic- before I grip his wrist with my other hand, feeling the cold sweat of his skin from the overcast day. He tenses, struggling to make sure he can still shoot me, but I'm only helping. Keeping it firm to my skull.

Come on, Deimos. Come on. Come on. Play the game. You know this game, right? Take a chance, pull the trigger.

I shift my weight to bear the barrel even harder down on me. I'm prone on my knees, both hands pleading for his consent. Come on. COME ON.

He's trying to say something. Stammering. What's that? What is it, Deimos? Tell me.

"I'll-"

You'll what?

"I'll shoot. I'll sh"*BANG!*

My finger creeps in to wrap around his, and forces it to depress the trigger.

[-1 HP]

The sound is deafening. I can't hear him shouting as he dances back, wresting the gun away in shock. He can't hear me laughing, while I roll on the floor and grip my forehead.

He trips over a crack in the stone, nearly falling to the water. He keeps looking at me rolling around, unsure if I'm dying... until I stand back up, nothing but a trickle of blood down my face to show for it. I had to press it from here- one second for him to see the wound, to realize it didn't take. Then I was striding forward, cheerful, hand out.

Deimos! Your number didn't come up. Come on, try again, again again! I'll give you some advice- YOU HAVE TO DOUBLE-TAP! YOU HAVE! TO! BE! SURE!!!

He's already eyes terror-wide, hand yanking up to aim and shoot at me, desperate to ward me off. But I was already too close, pressing the gun back into my face. *BANG!* A bullet hits my cheek. *BANG!* Another off my skull near the ear. *BANG!* *BANG!* *BANG!* Three more into the forehead, eyebrow, side of the nose.

[-1 HP]
[-1 HP]
[-1 HP]
[-1 HP]
[-1 HP]

I'm laughing more calmly now, slurred and wet, as his hand slips, and the gun falls into my grip. He's fallen flat on his rear end, drenched in sweat and wishing he wasn't so high right now. I know what he sees.

My forehead seared, bloodied blown-off bits of meat revealing the pitch-black skull beneath. Metal sticking out of my face, still smouldering with heat. But I'm smiling. It hurt, it burned, it stung, but it was my Crown.

I walk to the stunned man, and squat over him suddenly, making him scramble away. I take his gun, and force it back into his hand as I ask- is this fun Deimos? Is this the kind of trouble you like to get up to? You missed your number again, so you OWE me. Answer my questions, Deimos.

It takes him a second to understand. "...w-what?" - you lean in close, letting him smell the blood and bullet dripping off your face.

Answer. A question. That I want to know. Then I'll get what I came here for. And I'll go.

I'm patient. I listen to him breathe, let the ringing of the bullets fade from my ears.

Eventually, his adrenaline stabilizes, and he nods once. "Ok."

HP: [ 0 / 18 ] [Pass-Out Risk!]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER SUGGESTION

The Dark posted:

Deimos might answer one, two questions tops. I need to make the first one count before I scram.

Is this FUN, Deimos?

(Voting ends later tonight)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Probably not the Beast, since the blue book said it was less threatening than Merkja. Good arguments for any of the other three: MC&D is something he's most likely to know about, Merkja is something incredibly dangerous we've run across before, and the cults are a group we don't know anything about that apparently have nukes. I'm leaning MC&D. They seem like they might be some sort of enforcement agency, and we know from the store that they have good stuff. Maybe potential allies? It would be good to understand their objectives, at least.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Voted for cults since they seem to be tied in to the 7 things we have to kill.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Voting is close, and will end sometime past 9pm tonight. Get them in while you can!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Answer me. Now. Tell me about-

MC&D - 7
Merkja - 0
The Cults - 6
The Beast - 0

...LOADING

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
life is more coherent when He is in charge. also it turns out our ego is badass

these observations can surely only lead to fun, happy things

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Personally I think being possessed by Satan and having our face blown off is pretty cool

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was expecting "go psycho" to mean we just off the guy, not... that. I mean, it worked, and is pretty psycho, but still...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

(You? Me? We?)

Still I. I who stares at Deimos for a measured seven seconds, my brain allowed to flit madly between my need to know about the Cults I had to murder, or the organization he worked for. I decided I'd rather make him betray his own organization to someone who was just a Crazed Hostile Stranger, paranoid and starved for the low-down out of some magic thug.

I furrow my brow, feeling a cool silvery nerve tweak behind one lazy eye, stinging with the attempt to send a signal to aid me. It doesn't have the strength. I force it out entirely, demanding it rest and recognize its limits. I'll get the information myself.

I get in especial close, leering while I show off my gun-studded visage. He stays leaned back, tense and still, as I whisper it in his ear, so I can make every syllable clear for him - tell me ALL about MC&D.

After staring at my wounds for a minute, confirming that he did shoot me, he speaks. "M- MC&D. M-C-D. Marshall, Carter, & Dark. A company- corporation. THE Corporation. Dreamland based, out of several cities and Fae embassies, now establishing back into the waking world. Biggest employer of Fae there is. I'm just one of their walking suits, ok? Listen. I'll go, and forget either of us saw each other."

Ok, Deimos! But I want a LITTLE MORE information. What do they do?

He doesn't need to know our brain is already too taxed to trick cult information out of him, and that I don't have much of my confidence and control left. So I just want a little more about this corporation before you walk away.

He concedes... but I know it's not much. He can sense my hurry, and he wants to get away from me as soon as possible. So he talks, fast and loose. "They deal in artifacts and relics from all the past existences. They survived from one of them by going into the Dreamlands, and now they're going to establish financial control over the new waking world. They're tying up loose ends, and Merkja is one of their runaways. Ok? That good? I'm walking."

Deimos shakes out his jacket, swallows as he redirects his abundance of energy, and begins to backwalk away with his hand still on his gun.

That was all I (you) was getting from him without risking violenceeeee there is a Blue speaking to You, did I know that when my darkness descended to the world, it went from Black, to Blue? What did it say to Me to Us to We to You?

I'm losing focus.

(BLUE is looking for the BLUE Bubblegem Pods.)
(!FIRST-AID) (8 or less)
(Gift of Magic) (+2)
([6]+[2]+[2] = 10 - Success.)

Oh they're lovely and true.

[MUSHROOM MIND]

And fungal, too!

You shake the daze out of my head. I'm quickly grabbing all the BLUE bubblegem pods you can see, so we can leave as soon as possible. The Silver Mind can tell you more about the Fae later- right now I had to focus on falling through this Blue leaving the discipline I pass onto you. Call for me when it becomes too much for us. I'm going to move fast now. I'm going to wait in our shadow.

I'm not sure what's going on.

You're not sure what's going on.

Mushroom was worming around your brain, and your volition felt cold, on autopilot as you ignored the retreating Deimos, thoughtlessly gathering every single bubblepod that looked right. After a frantic harvest before running back to the treeline to find a hidden spot, you find you've got four good pieces of mature blue bubblegem pods. You take two of them immediately, because a lingering dark intent still in your brain says I want them, now. Your teeth gnash down- on the foamy white fungus, the bitter green leaf, both which best grew the glossy-glow blue sap known as bubblegem, where it blistered through the membrane it rested inside of. They burst when crushed with force, and flood your throat with the surreal tasteless sensation of the magic sap.

It stimulates your nerves, making every ache and pain screech in unison with a slow wave of heat, that then turned to ice cold soothe. The magic sap snaked irregularly through the blood after ingestion, finding places to express its growth nature. For your biology, that meant healing. You eat two I NEED two, give me two. So you have two, and muffle a pained grunt into your hand when it works so well in conjunction with your mushroom'd brain, that you start to dance in place from the burn of your blood heating up with regeneration.

[Blue Bubblegem x2 - Heals 2d HP]
[HP +4]
[HP +6]
HP: [ 10 / 18 ]

Soon enough, you feel pretty good!

...but you're starting to come down, as your anxiety spikes with the reminder of the fact that although the pain of it is now soothed, you just intentionally got shot in the face.

What the gently caress were you thinking? How was that in ANY way ok?!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

You have to leave. Had to hide before somebody sees you and knows you did something bad and weird, you had to get back and hide somewhere dark. Have to go let's go time to go.

There was two viable bubblepods left for Kwiat. You felt like you were going to puke. It was noon. It was cold but you were hot and sweaty and everything itched. You managed to accomplish your goal. You were constantly pacing and shifting your weight as you keep inside the shadows of the trees, trying to give wherever Deimos went a wide berth. Can't see him. Can't. If you did see him then you'd try to kill each other againm can't risk that can't see ANYONE or there'd be a risk of killing.

Oh, you wanted to cry. That was a really stupid, weird thing to do. Your face was raw and hot. You have to move or you were going to scream. You had to keep your mouth shut at all times or you were going to puke. Past noon. Second half of the day. Got the pods got the pods.

(You try to will yourself to a steady path winding back to the Hideout.)
(Will Check 18, -6 for Anxiety)
(12 - [6]+[5]+[1] = 12 - Success.)

You stop to lean against a tree, and gag once from the sensation of the sap in your empty stomach, hacking bile and feeling your eyes water. It makes you worry over the racing of your heart, before you forcibly recall the directions you took to get here. The river. You can follow the river back. Knowing that, and unable to think well with the fear of running into Deimos again, you decide to spend a few hours scouting around the perimeter to figure out more of what's in this area beyond the Hideout. You needed something, anything to manage the border-red of a panic attack. Your body was still insane with adrenaline high over being shot. You take out your sword and hold it tight, knowing it was safer than immediately pulling your gun on anything that moved.

(You work off your terrifying mood by scouting the south for a few hours.)
(Perception Check)
(10 - [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 - Success!)

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

HP: [ 10 / 18 ]
FP: [ 10 / 14 ]

keep walking keeeeep walking ignore the need to eat and the racing thoughts and is it ok for your heart to be beating this fast for this long a time? keep walking it's good for you keep moving

look see look at all the lovely spaces like

Scouting Report posted:

The Crumbling City
You saw it from the flower-draped white cliffs of the south side forest. It leaned out of the slopes of the towering mountains - skyscraper ruins of a displaced city, bombed out and burned but with little lights still dim in some windows. It was a corpseshadow against the stone, and it did not lie in wait to trap the unaware with its silence- it stood with angry hunchback challenge, demanding you come die in its unhallow streets.
[Grinding Dungeon]
[Level 40]

The Red
Not far northeast from where you peeked out at the eastmost river... pooled there, a mass open wound in the land. Feeding into the water. Under the paledim of the Sun's hidden light, you made out a great network of dark red plants in circulatory mass over trees. Scumfoam red swamps sat still, with no sign of life moving among the visible rim.

There was a certain gravity to the place.

Gem Mine
As you worked your way back west, you leaned over a tree and made out something against the iron horizon. Among the steep hills was what looked like a great stone protrusion, studded with holes and what most barely looked like construction equipment.

Solar Woods
Wasn't visible from down in the south forest, hidden where it sloped upward in its curving shape. But there it was- a dead forest of strange colours, seemingly burned or even burning without giving off smoke. It sat as a crown, and gave a little peace of mind to watch smoulder from under a red flower tree.
[Grinding Dungeon]
[Level 10]

Soft Lagoon
The valley slopes upward. Your angle and elevation from the flowering forest gives you the vantage to spot what the layout west is, where she roams, and where the river looks to feed into the sea.

You're not calm once you come out into the grass field, but you were focused. Get back to the hideout. Go. Move. It was getting dark now, and would be near night once you were back. Your world blurs into the soupy haze of exhaustion, your mind unable to stop replaying what happened with you and Deimos, all of it distorted by a dissociative gray. You feel guilty, nervous, weird; even if it happened with someone who was a cranked-up creep. You needed to hide so no one could see it.

You're sloppy about getting back in a way that was safe and sound, but the autopilot need to escape into hiding was too strong to slow down. You don't pay for it this time, and escape down into the halls of the school building, clenching death-tight the paper holding the bubblegem pods fresh inside. You run with shuffling caution to the room with Kwiat, peering around each corner and listening over the waterfall for any movement. You get to the room with jitters in the legs, quickly opening and closing the door after you work your way through the layers of barriers you set up.

You whisper loudly to Kwiat, you're here, you're here!
She's clucking!

You stalk over, minding the glow of the bubblepods in the darkness, as you find her in her little curtain nest fortress. You lean down and pet her to waking, noting her ill condition. Time for a meal, chibby.

[Blue Bubblegem x2 - Heals 2d HP]
[HP +9]
[HP +4]
HP: [ MAX! ]

Kwiat gags a few times too, but soon becomes much more active. She starts to do a steady chanting cluck, head bobbing in time. You pet her in concern as you feel her muscles spasm in response to the magic plant. You go into a calm trance while you calm her during her restoration, not realizing how long it's been until you let out a sudden screech in reaction to Kwiat loudly sneezing, followed by coughing up the last of the water still in her lungs. She stands, pacing around, pecking the ground while you shake from surprise. You manage to smile, after you calm down. You smile, and laugh for a second, leaning back to rest on the wall.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

She was ok. She was going to live. The only problem is that she had been in shock for days now. She wasn't going to be laying any eggs anytime soon. She needed a consistent resting spot, like what the chicken boy taught you. "If she doesn't feel safe, she can't lay eggs." Being healthy was just half of it.

...she needed food, as well. So did you. No more colorful coins for weird store goods. Had to hunt, or gather. But right now, with dark on you within the hour, the best you could do with the rest of the day was set up camp in the room with Kwiat, and go out and search the building while there was still light.

The first thing you do is go back outside. Still bright enough to see, but dark enough to make walking in the open feel safer. The Tyrant and the Silver Mind were both quiet. There was just the struggle of your own jumbled thoughts inside the gray, to backdrop of waterfall and the grinding sound of wood rolling on stone.

-wait yes you DO hear wood rolling on stone. What? Exploring around a corner, you walk into a circular courtyard on one side of the displaced school, where it vanishes into the rock of the hills. It had a flagless flagpole, empty fountain, some railing, and a few scattered benches.

It also had a skateboard grinding on all of them with do-or-die grace. The skateboard... had no rider. It just rode, tricked, flipped, kicked, spun, popped, ollie'd, air'd, and freefell on its own, before coming to the occasional slow roll rest in a circle around the fountain, before taking off again.

You stare, jaw hanging, eyes unfocused. Ok. Well. You could always-

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE

Jump On?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Quest Log posted:

Chicken Arise!
During this Quest...

* You went into the Flowering Forest for herbs to heal Kwiat.
* You encountered Deimos, Agent of Marshall, Carter, and Dark.
* He wanted the herbs, as well as being hostile because of Merkja.
* He's a Psychic like you, and you held off his mental attack.
* In a moment of desperation, you let the Tyrant take hold.
* You acted like a psycho.
* Deimos retreated, and is Neutral/Hostile to you.
* Deimos thinks you're Insane.
* You scouted the South End of the holy valley.
* You got enough of the herb to heal yourself and Kwiat!

All Considered - You're Alive, But Shook Up
[+Disquiet]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Voting ends in an hour and change.

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - GHOST RIDE

YES - 7
NO poo poo no I'm tired and need to keep looking around - 3

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hahahaha yes! This is just the thing to take your mind off of your terrifying behavior earlier. You wait for it patiently, watching how the board moves... and when the time is right during one of its passing rests, you run, jump off the fountain, and land on the board. It startles the thing into taking off, making you throw your arms out to keep balance. Especially since you've never skateboarded before.

It moves of its own will, supporting your weight effortlessly. It rips around in a circle trying to throw you off while you find your balance, before it kicks up, turns, and aims for a slope on the wall.

(Bench-2-Bench + Bench-2-Rail + FS Noseslide + Rail-2-Ledge + BS 5-0 + FS 50-50 + Impossible + Ollie)
(DX) (10 or less)
([1]+[1]+[6] = 8 - Success!)

You ramp it, catching insane air! You spin once on the way down and stick the landing, arms out as the board slides... and then casually jerks to throw you off, onto a grass patch where you faceplant. But you did it!

SPECIAL: Some rare events can increase stats. Successfully riding the board gives you a permanent +1 to your DX, increasing it from 10 to 11. You also feel cool.
[+Joy]

Once you're done with that and nearly breaking your neck, you spend the rest of your light wandering more mindfully, peeking into rooms with a hand on your gun. You put most of the day out of your mind, and ignore your hungry belly, finding some peace of mind with the overview of your hidey-hole. A few hours later, when it's truly dark and the wilds are starting to come alive, you're already deep inside the building, locked away with the door barred and hidden behind a wall of desks with Kwiat.

You lie down, stretching, head rested next to Kwiat's little bindle to listen to her brooding. You're still itchy with nerves as you try to descend quickly into the rest of sleep...

(Disquiet... can I sleep?)
(9 or less)
([3]+[2]+[6] = 11 - Failure.)

...but you struggle with it this night. You think. About letting yourself be shot in the face. About the fungal infection in your brain. About how difficult it was to find the plants, and that you need to wander so much further than that to complete your goal. About how scary Merkja and Deimos are. About how much you have to do. About a dozen little things that bother you, haunt you, won't leave you.

It's so hard to keep your eyes closed. But eventually they do.

You lost two hours of sleep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...LOADING