Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Black August posted:

Three steps east... you had to GO east, to find some plants to keep your little egg-maker going.

Black August posted:

Alone alone alone. Quiet and alone. You move irregularly as you find your way south to the Holy Land, where you could reorient and aim yourself towards the east. You were shaking against the chill. It bit in far deeper than it had to, snaking around your flesh to kiss the bones, teeth chattering and nerves alight as you duck under a tree once in sight of the Holy Land, to wrap arms around yourself. You wish you had Kwiat to hold.
We needed to go east, and since then we've gone south. Northeast.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Probably not the Beast, since the blue book said it was less threatening than Merkja. Good arguments for any of the other three: MC&D is something he's most likely to know about, Merkja is something incredibly dangerous we've run across before, and the cults are a group we don't know anything about that apparently have nukes. I'm leaning MC&D. They seem like they might be some sort of enforcement agency, and we know from the store that they have good stuff. Maybe potential allies? It would be good to understand their objectives, at least.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Lost Carcosa A yellow room in a dim opera

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Remeant is an ancient Latin word meaning “returning”, by the way. I’m going with Diamentebrand, I agree Judas sounds too much like a double-edged sword.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So basically, one fairly powerful and extremely armour-piercing shot. Hopefully my tiebreaker vote hasn't got us killed... :ohdear:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The Everything is the last and greatest of the ultramutants.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It looks like if we try to cross the mountains we will be outside come nightfall, which sounds like near-certain death. The camp will at least have shelter, and only probable death.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Eat to defeat might actually be good for us, given that we skipped breakfast and are extremely hungry? I think I'll vote for that.

And pocket einherjars sounds like a pretty good match for tyranny.

Tower o' trouble, on the other hand, sounds like it will reward the ability to keep a calm head as we move over a gigantic and potentially-lethal drop. That... is not us.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Idolatry seems like a really bad idea - I think if we try and bow down and worship anything, we’ll have to fail a tyranny check first.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Lenglegs looks agile and fragile to me. I think we want the one with high damage and high hit rate: Proto.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Picked "E". It's the most common letter in the alphabet, and I think there's a very good chance one of those three-letter words is THE.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Agreed. Maybe it's ___ ___E TO BET ON, given that Blue likes luck and gambling so much? O is definitely the safest bet for now, in any case. If the first letter of the last word is O then I'd vote N next.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Penultimate word could be BET, GET, JET, LET, MET, NET, PET, SET, WET or VET. Last word could be DO, GO, NO, SO, or YO. (Not TO since we've already guessed T.) I agree LET GO is the most plausible, so I'll guess L as the more common letter.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I am not advocating we guess this yet. But it could be YOU HAVE TO LET GO.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh poo poo. It could be either “you have to let go” OR “you hate to let go”. The latter seems less likely, but still possible. So we definitely should not try to guess the whole phrase yet.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I mean... it could be “you rave to let go”. But I think taking this shot and having it pay off will be good for us, psychologically speaking. Sometimes, you have to let go of your anxiety.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Remember we have an inner tyrant - anything like idolatry that requires us to bow down in worship is probably a bad idea.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Idolize to defeat? Eat to idolize? ̴͝ ́ ͞ ̸ ̵̢ ̵̨ ͘͟ ̵̵ ̀҉ ҉̸̴ ̕͏ ̷ ͘͡҉ ̵̨͏ ͏ ̀͜ ̶͡ ̧҉͡ ̀̕ ̢͘͢ ̵̵ ͡͡ ̶̧ ̧͞͡ ̨ ̧̕͝?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

quote:

[ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no no no no come on no noooo no no]
Not empty-quoting.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The black will own us. The silver will help us own ourselves.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Regallion posted:

Let's not force ties eh? It's cool if it's special and occasionally useful but so far both ties resulted in severe glitching and derailing, which might result in uh, less than desirable outcome.
Yeah, I think we should be trying to avoid ties rather than causing them.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

We just have to go meet the Camp Director "and then it'll all be over", huh? This isn't ominous at all. Not even a little.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Holy poo poo. I’ll vote later, just... holy poo poo.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Red has a wide enough range of techniques that one of them is likely to be better than her baseline attacks, and I trust her to choose something appropriate to the situation. For Blue we only have the option to go for a random technique - while her techniques sound powerful, this has the potential to go badly wrong. I agree that paradisio sounds like a heal/buff which we badly need right now, and she doesn't feel like a melee build so snapfight probably isn't great. So I'm voting "appropriate technique" for Red and paradisio for Blue. Next round I'll switch to random techniques for Blue.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

This (plus the fact that she's only level 30) makes me think Red isn't Burner. And Blue doesn't seem to be hurt by dancing, so I don't think she's Dancer either. But they probably are members of the Burner cult and Dancer cult.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hoooooboy. OK. Important to note: Paradisio doesn't make spending to -18 safe. All failures become critical failures. It looks like we're rolling on 15, and the chance of rolling 16-18 on 3d6 (and thereby getting a critical failure) is (1+3+6)/6^3 ~ 4.6%. I don't want to see the results of a critical failure on darkness when we've fueled it with our entire life force, but 4.6% is a low-risk chance. A critical failure with a high-powered spell from Red will probably do horrible things as well.

Also, flower of ruin also sounds like it'll take seven rounds to fully pay off, which is time we don't have. So I think that's an unequivocally bad idea.

I see two sensible paths forward here, given that we need to end it quickly - probably within the next round or two. Path one involves making full use of paradisio to finish this early, because that buff is absurdly broken. So we use darkness, red pumps a dangerous amount of energy into a spell, and Blue uses a random technique (because her techniques all sound pretty drat good and this will likely be a buff). Path two is to GIVE 'IM THE OL' TRIPLE-TECH. The risk with path one is that we get a failure, which becomes a critical failure. The risk with path two is that the spider starts seeing us as a threat and focusing on us.

Right now, I'm leaning towards path one this round, followed by THE OL' TRIPLE-TECH next round.

Oh, and continuing the re-read, this:

pumpinglemma posted:

And Blue doesn't seem to be hurt by dancing, so I don't think she's Dancer either.
is inaccurate bullshit:

Blue's initial description posted:

The one acting like she was the elephant who saw the mouse caught your attention first, if only for the visual riot she presented. She was petite. Humanish... but had numerous subtle differences that marked her as something sylvan. She wore a cabaret star's outfit and makeup, rainbow lingerie and midnight accents, all of it dirty and ragged. Her head bore a pitch-black top hat. Her exposed skin had strange marks on it, ones you recognized from medical knowledge - she bore the burns of radiance. No shoes - her feet were extremely scarred, so much so that you wondered how she moved so easily. Her joymad eyes continued to stare, as she shook and bothered the one she clung to.
She could actually be Dancer, and Red could be Dancer's Liaison with Burner (Flame Joker?). Or maybe she's "just" a high-ranking dancer cultist or Backup.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh I am so massively outvoted on that one. :)

But important: I would now recommend everyone else votes for triple-tech! Currently our action is quite close between triple-tech and darkness, and I think all three people will need to decide on triple-tech in order for it to work.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think there are hints buried in the text for some of them. For example, Wish I Might:

Black August posted:

Hers, of course, was blue. She plonks it on without fanfare, her cap still sticking out. "Black Crows, so you get the Hristan hat. Let it do a look your soulthink-" she taps her head, and then makes a popping noise with flared hands "-we get EINHERJARS!!"

While she jogs in place to hype up, Blue tells Red "Never did try to wish to be a Valkyrie."
And it very much fits that Blue should have Wish I Might:
And I'd swear we had a loading screen hint for Diamantébrand as well that I found on rereading, something linking it to one of the cults, but I can't find it a second time. :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Also, while I'm theoryposting, I think it's fairly clear that the Einherjars we summoned each represented an aspect of our soul. We had Proto for the darkness, a pitch-black sphere that tells us to shut up while it does what's best for us. We had Psydog for the silver, a psychic buddy that calms us down and helps us maintain control of ourselves. And we had [FOWL] for... probably Kwiat, given its shape and given our reaction to its death. But it was also glitchy as hell. Is there a connection between Kwiat and the glitches?

Also, what do Blue's Einherjars tell us about her character? Betcha the roulette wheel is pretty self-explanatory, trust in luck is clearly a major part of her. And the music box with a red nuclear core is probably her tie to Red. But... what about Lenglegs the silly dancing spider that acts of its own volition and does horrifying, awful things?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

That's a... relief? Sure, let's go with that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

beyond it being a glitched-in attack from one of the Backup (iirc)?
Yes - I thought I remembered seeing something with seven powers, one for each of the Lords, and I remember being surprised because it mentioned Diamenté and it came before the glitched-in attack. But I can't seem to find it a second time.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Black August posted:

...player of the username 'Airbeans' showed a screenshot of being able to promise Dancer that...
Blue is Dancer. Repeat. Blue is Dancer. This is not a drill.

And given that... I’m OK with promising not to hurt her family.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’m pretty sure we promised not to kill any of the Backup, Dancer’s cult. The reference to wildness (like Blue), the reference to the drugs (like Blue), the reference to there being a lot of them (so many there’s not enough drugs to go round so probably more than six), the implication that they can’t take care of themselves well, and the fact that Red is probably a Liaison to Burner’s cult and shows no sign of drugs or wildness all pointed in that direction for me.

I also get the feeling that Blue’s emphasis on her family, rather than on her, means she has an idea what our mission is and knows we might end up fighting her one day. I think she left herself out of that promise intentionally. :( But if I’m wrong, I’m still OK with having to find a way out that doesn’t involve murder.

Also, I found the clue about Diamente, and one about Flower of Ruin and one about Blue as well!

Black August posted:

"...in Jandoubi, some of the most dangerous Backup you can fight with any build includes Big Bad, Sueynami, and Diamanté. Big Bad is a physical powerhouse tough enough to take on Berserkers and Chirurgeons. Sueynami has the Irukandji Lash and its unique status effect to be afraid of. Diamanté is simply TOUGH, since his diamond nature gives him impeccable resistances and DR..."

"...than anything, Dancer HATES the loss of any Backup, immediately resorting to Mania if she finds out that..."

"...her seven forms, given by the 'Flower of Ruin'. They include the armaments named 'Thus Spak Demogorgon', 'Eye of the Sun', 'Dragoncrusher', "Moloch Buster', 'Fire Root', 'Her Love & Her Hate', and 'Jet Sword'.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

> HELP

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

I was hesitant about it before, but I'm leaning into Ctrl+F8 now.
No! Holy End sounds much better than Hell End, I don't want a glitch between those two.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think we may have found a legitimate alternate path here, along with maybe an alternate victory condition. And given that no-one else has managed to win this game yet, I think it would be a good idea to keep exploring it. We shouldn’t do anything so overt as to tell Smiercia to gently caress off - yet - but maybe there are other ways to survive than doing what she says? Maybe by the time the six-month time limit is up we’ll be strong enough to oppose her, with the Lords at our side, or maybe we can escape into some far corner of the Dreamlands. (Ulthar seems benevolent?)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hold on, what level are we? The sheet says we’re level 4, but I thought we started at level 4 and levelled up at least once after finishing the tutortial and once after finishing Camp. (For that matter, what does levelling up actually get us?)

e: Also, I read this choice as “red, black, or yellow?” Red is the colour of Burner, black is the colour of the Tyrant, yellow is the colour of the hyena lord whose graffiti we saw and of Carcosa. I’m going yellow, because I’m curious about that lord and because this feels like a relatively safe way to learn and/or get an in with them.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 20, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

If we've got nervous energy, vegging out won't help, and we'll want to spend that coin sooner or later. Plus whoever left us the coin might be waiting for us! I'm assuming it's not a trap or they could have waited for us and attacked us here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Actually - hundreds of little claw marks? Payment rendered in a civilised manner? Shiny gold string? Puked-up hairballs? I think we’ve had a visit from the cutest wutest little mythos creatures of all - the cats of Ulthar. :3: