Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

I replaced the heater element, and I swear I said it was a dryer? It is electric, though. It looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Heating-DV45H7000EW-DV363EWBEUF-DV393ETPAWR-DV328AEG/dp/B07D7VK8RB

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the heat setup is only controlled by 3 pieces: thermostat, fuse, and heating element.

Okay, so your picture is not of the heating element but some part of it. And while you did say it was a dryer, the picture you posted made it looks like a part of a GAS dryer, not electric.

It would be good to know if the old element had continuity. Past that there's a thermistor, a thermal fuse and a high limit (at least) that can cause this. These things need to be tested with a multimeter to determine if they work or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If you just cleaned a lot of crap out of the duct and the element seems to be good, I'd look at the high-limit a well. It's essentially a thermal fuse; when the ducting gets too hot, it blows.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone have suggestions for deck railings?
All the prefab ones are crazy expensive and I don't have a truck to haul around big pieces of lumber.
Cable railings are popular around here, but they are more expensive than most expect. A great alternative has been 8' sections of galvanized pipe. 6" cedar posts with black pipe looks pretty good...I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.
The pipes don't sag like cables, mo swagging involved, and if you add strip leds to underside of your handrail, provide great reflection.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HycoCam posted:

Cable railings are popular around here, but they are more expensive than most expect. A great alternative has been 8' sections of galvanized pipe. 6" cedar posts with black pipe looks pretty good...I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.
The pipes don't sag like cables, mo swagging involved, and if you add strip leds to underside of your handrail, provide great reflection.

Nice. Yeah I was thinking about using electrical conduit pipe since it's weatherproof, easily printable and cheap.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Inzombiac posted:

So, I finally tore out the old, rotting and dangerous deck and installed some Trex.

I have zero experience doing this (and it shows) but I'm pretty happy overall.
Still need to trim the edges and set up new side boards and stairs along with trimming down some screws that refused to go in the last 5%.
Don't cheap out on composite screws, people!

One thing is that, even after adding more joists to make sure mostom spans were 12" or less, there are some slightly spongy bits that are bugging me. I don't want to have to take out large sections just to shim them but... ugh.
For the next goon, one trick with composite decking is to "picture frame" the perimeter of the deck. The purpose is to hide the cut edge. Takes some prep before the decking goes down. Cut scrap PT2x6s and place them flat, between the joists, to provide a subsurface for the fasteners on the picture frame joints.

Next, trick is to cut the deck boards with a slight bevel where they meet the picture frame. Composite boards change size with temperature. If you install trex tight in the cold months, like can't slide a dollar between, the edges with push up in the summer when the sun roasts it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was originally going to picture frame mine but I'm adding a new facade to the lower boards that will cover the raw Trex edge.

Also hoping there isn't too much expansion with mine. There's an awning over the entire footprint, so no part gets sun for long.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I'm looking at installing a buried pipe from my downspout to a pop-up emitter down in my lawn (currently the downspout drains above ground, onto a concrete walkway which makes for a slippery situation in the winter - I'm replacing this walkway anyway, and want to bury the pipe at the same time).

Reading about which type of pipe to use, it seems there are two options: either a corrugated pipe or a PVC pipe. Any recommendations or pros/cons of those? I'm in the north, so we do get frost here in case that freeze/thaw cycle would impact this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I installed 4" Schedule 40 PVC for exactly the same application, under my paver patio, in southern NJ.

It's about a foot deep at the deepest point; it's been 6-7 winters with no issue.

I ran it from my sunroom down to a buried drain box, open at the bottom and top. I dug a 'french drain,' (a post hole about 3' deep & filled with gravel & stone), and sat the box on it so that a plastic grate would sit right at grade in the grass.

This downspout carries all of the runoff of the left slope of the garage & the entire sunroom roof, about 600-SF, so in the event of a real Baptist downpour that exceeds the French drain's capacity, it could overflow out the grate & down into the yard.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Use a rigid pipe. SDR-35 or schedule 40 PVC is thick walled enough to avoid punching a hole in it in the future with a hand shovel.

The corrugated NDS stuff is hard to lay with a relatively uniform slope and is so thin walled that roots will infiltrate it pretty fast.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The only advantage the corrugated pipe has is that you don't have to lay straight lines.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Speaking of drainage, I have to redo my perimeter drains at some point soon. I have a storm water right of way through the back yard so it should be a pretty standard job. I have a local company coming out to give me a quote, but a ballpark figure I heard in the past for this was very expensive so I’m wondering if this could be something I could do myself, maybe in a couple stages. Taking a couple weeks off work and renting equipment would be cheaper than hiring out.

I’m pretty handy but haven’t done drains before. Anyone got a good resource with some best practices so it’s done correctly?

There’s a paved concrete walkway up against one side of the house, would that have to go or would I just run the pipes in front of it?

Edit: My province has an 80 page research paper covering all the bases! https://www.bchousing.org/publications/Builder-Guide-to-Site-and-Foundation-Drainage.pdf

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 18, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I located some wasps in a gutter getting warmed up for their daily tasks.

I have this spray but it says not to use it on vinyl or aluminum. These gutters came with the house so I'm not sure what they are. Is it safe to just blast this Doktor Doom spray into that gutter?

Other than that, there are lots of wasps around. How do we know when to call an exterminator?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They’re probably nesting under the roof, getting access through the gap between the roof & the fascia. They’re pulling water from the gutter, which is aluminum (as is the fascia).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

More animal chat, I have a neighbors cat who likes to sneak into my yard and lay in the sun. I would be semi ok with this but I noticed him going after the birds on their birdbath and now we are doing battle. I shoo him away but he just waits for me to go inside and comes right back lol

I am going to try to plug any holes in the fence that I can find but is there anything else I can do to discourage him from sneaking in and eating birds in my yard?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

More animal chat, I have a neighbors cat who likes to sneak into my yard and lay in the sun. I would be semi ok with this but I noticed him going after the birds on their birdbath and now we are doing battle. I shoo him away but he just waits for me to go inside and comes right back lol

I am going to try to plug any holes in the fence that I can find but is there anything else I can do to discourage him from sneaking in and eating birds in my yard?

No. Cats are quite agile and sneaky. They will find a way through no matter what you do.

Move the birdbath to somewhere safer, or accept that it's a cat feeder.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hate to break this to you but a cat will climb any fence you can reasonably construct. Plugging holes might make it marginally harder.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I didn’t want it to come to this but I do think my local ace sells crossbows just kidding. But they do

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cats can jump 8 feet in the air too, so fencing will just be a mild deterrent. Best option is to talk to the neighbors.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
They do make spinning bars for the tops of fences to deter cats. I have no idea of their efficacy though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, I need to cut a 16ft piece of Trek down the middle, hotdog style.
I don't have a table saw.
I do have miter, oscillating, jig and reciprocating saws.

What's a good way to get an even cut without it taking all goddamn day?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Think we’re just gonna get a terrier

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

It was the heating element *and* the fuse.

Looks like the old element shorted and blew the fuse.

Anyway the dryer is fixed and I have a spare thermostat because the parts came in a package.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Inzombiac posted:

You’d want a rip fence, but I don’t think they make any for the saws you mentioned. They do for circular saws.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Or routers.

oh, misunderstood. ESL here, so I figured they were asking how to make a channel ("hot dog style").

vvv From available tools, I'd go with this

gbut fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 18, 2024

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Jigsaw would be your best bet. Rip fences are available.

An alternative is to clamp the jigsaw upside down in a vice. Set up a fence and feed the piece through like it's a table saw.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Get the neighbour to put a bell on it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

tuyop posted:

I located some wasps in a gutter getting warmed up for their daily tasks.

I have this spray but it says not to use it on vinyl or aluminum. These gutters came with the house so I'm not sure what they are. Is it safe to just blast this Doktor Doom spray into that gutter?

Other than that, there are lots of wasps around. How do we know when to call an exterminator?

PainterofCrap posted:

They’re probably nesting under the roof, getting access through the gap between the roof & the fascia. They’re pulling water from the gutter, which is aluminum (as is the fascia).

I've used this to kill small nests in enclosed spaces: BioAdvanced Termite and Carpenter Bee Killer Plus, Foam, 18 oz https://a.co/d/4xVIxV7

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

yippee cahier posted:

Edit: My province has an 80 page research paper covering all the bases! https://www.bchousing.org/publications/Builder-Guide-to-Site-and-Foundation-Drainage.pdf

Man, I'd really like that, but for North Texas. I'll have to look around.

Inzombiac posted:

Well, other than the table saw, a circular saw and marking and cutting carefully will do it. jig and reciprocating cut anything but straight lines, and the other two aren't even applicable.
Circular saws aren't terribly expensive, and can be really handy.

fake edit: though a guide on a jigsaw would work to keep it straight. Forgot those were a thing. A bit slow, but a coarse blade might help there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A MIRACLE posted:

Think we’re just gonna get a terrier

For less than a round of rabies shots, you can get one of the motion activated mammal deterrent sprayers. Cats are clever, and it may turn into an arms race of alternating placement to get the message across to the cat.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-X-Hydro-Critter-Blaster-Animal-Sprinkler-Repeller-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-Solar-Powered-HCB-S/308642137

I've never used them but the photo in the ad makes me :lol:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

For less than a round of rabies shots, you can get one of the motion activated mammal deterrent sprayers. Cats are clever, and it may turn into an arms race of alternating placement to get the message across to the cat.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-X-Hydro-Critter-Blaster-Animal-Sprinkler-Repeller-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-Solar-Powered-HCB-S/308642137

This inspired me so I waited for him and got him with the hose lol. And yeah I observed that his way in is over the fence. So

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just adopt the cat and then make him an indoors only cat

if the neighbors complain, tell them finders keepers

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

I've used this to kill small nests in enclosed spaces: BioAdvanced Termite and Carpenter Bee Killer Plus, Foam, 18 oz https://a.co/d/4xVIxV7

Thanks to you and Painter! I’ll see about picking up some of that foam stuff tomorrow with other odds and ends.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

That dog looks like it's having the time of it's life.

On cat chat: Keep catching the stray cat in your yard and bringing it to animal control.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea he’s stray adjacent if not outright. The house I see him at could be abandoned. Not sure how to catch a cat lol

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Yea he’s stray adjacent if not outright. The house I see him at could be abandoned. Not sure how to catch a cat lol

Havahart trap + wet food. Take it inside at night to avoid trapping a skunk.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

We have a skunk and a possum too the possum is very fat and the skunk is a western skunk he’s got a super fluffy tail lol. I don’t know where they sleep but my yard is a frickin jungle. Neither of them bother the birds and the skunk dug up and ate a whole hornet nest by himself so I’m not that mad at him even if he stinks up the yard a bit

Here’s my most recent pic of the yard. Very different from my studio in koreatown lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

A MIRACLE posted:

the skunk dug up and ate a whole hornet nest by himself so I’m not that mad at him even if he stinks up the yard a bit

what a bro

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Possums rule, they eat ticks and are immune to rabies.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

*resistant to rabies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Danhenge posted:

Possums rule, they eat ticks and are immune to rabies.

:gary::wrong: and :wrong::yarg: