Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Possums rule, they eat ticks and are immune to rabies.

North America’s only native marsupial is a fine and noble creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought they were brought to california as pets and escaped

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A MIRACLE posted:

I thought they were brought to california as pets and escaped

They are not native to the west coast and are considered an invasive species in Oregon and maybe California. They originally ranged through central America and the Southeast US but were introduced to the west coast by people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking to build a set of shelves in my basement to hold the ubiquitous black and yellow tote bins everyone has (they were on sale for $8 at Costco last week, so GF and I bought several to consolidate everything in a random bin into one of those so they all match.)

My friend is trying to insist one of the types where the totes "hang" from their lips is the better form-factor, but...I fail to see how/why? I guess you can save a little bit of lumber not having to make the horizontal shelves, but I have a bunch of 2x4 scraps/off cuts already to help, and even though lumber has gone up, 2x4 still aren't going to break the bank. Neither will some thin plywood or MDF, but at the same time, if I CAN spend less money but still make myself a decent shelf, I'm not opposed.

But I'm just worried hanging by the lips will warp them, or possibly break them if they're too heavy? I guess if there's someone out here who built them years ago and has an update saying,
"Five years later, bins not bent!" then I guess that's good enough for me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking to build a set of shelves in my basement to hold the ubiquitous black and yellow tote bins everyone has (they were on sale for $8 at Costco last week, so GF and I bought several to consolidate everything in a random bin into one of those so they all match.)

My friend is trying to insist one of the types where the totes "hang" from their lips is the better form-factor, but...I fail to see how/why? I guess you can save a little bit of lumber not having to make the horizontal shelves, but I have a bunch of 2x4 scraps/off cuts already to help, and even though lumber has gone up, 2x4 still aren't going to break the bank. Neither will some thin plywood or MDF, but at the same time, if I CAN spend less money but still make myself a decent shelf, I'm not opposed.

But I'm just worried hanging by the lips will warp them, or possibly break them if they're too heavy? I guess if there's someone out here who built them years ago and has an update saying,

I have a wall of tote storage in part of my basement, hanging them by the lips seems miserable to actually access and move the totes out to be used.

E: I have 2 x 4 framing and 3/8 plywood floors they sit on and moving the heavy totes off of that is already hard enough since some of them get close to 100 pounds or more.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrBouvenstein posted:

It probably just means less plywood for the shelf, but if you lay that down you could put other stuff on them besides totes if you want, as well.

I guess it's been a trend because a 3d printing youtuber I watch sometimes has a video about making some as well. I haven't watched the whole thing but it may be worth a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcp4qZNQmGQ
Looks like he has a cost breakdown at the end, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ahh seeing them slide out on the side lips is not as bad as what i was picturing. You will lose any ability to store anything but totes but if that works for your plans its probably fine either way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't like that solution much just because it gives you a single-use piece of furniture/rack. Even if it works well for those bins, what if you have stuff you want to store that doesn't fit in one of the bins? What if you crack a few bins and then find out that the style has changed or gone out of production and new bins don't quite fit? It's only slightly more to just make some shelves that hold the bins in virtually the same way, but will also hold anything else and be versatile into the future as well.

We have a dozen or so of the same bins and just use standard metal shelving to hold them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you do the hanging bins and they go out of style or break, you have a future project putting small pieces of plywood on the bin rails.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Skipping the hanging part means you can make each bay wider, storing 2-3 totes beside each other if you use 2x4s. You’ll have the vertical rail support pieces in the way if you try to retrofit to standard shelving later.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

yippee cahier posted:

Skipping the hanging part means you can make each bay wider, storing 2-3 totes beside each other if you use 2x4s. You’ll have the vertical rail support pieces in the way if you try to retrofit to standard shelving later.

I wonder if the hanging aspect making it strictly limited to those totes is on purpose. Keeps you from just cramming any random poo poo onto the shelf over time.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

From what I remember the hanging part is a legacy aspect of when folks would make ceiling storage for them. I don’t know why it continued on, since that’s the only legitimate use case for rail style hangers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I have a very specific question I can't figure out through Google. When purchasing hardware cloth, if I'm buying 19g vinyl coated, does the gauge include the vinyl, ie, is the actual metal thinner than uncoated 19g would be?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That wouldn't include the coating. It would be a lot harder to make the vinyl a consistent thickness in order to be able to count it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rexxed posted:

It probably just means less plywood for the shelf, but if you lay that down you could put other stuff on them besides totes if you want, as well.

I guess it's been a trend because a 3d printing youtuber I watch sometimes has a video about making some as well. I haven't watched the whole thing but it may be worth a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcp4qZNQmGQ
Looks like he has a cost breakdown at the end, too.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

From what I remember the hanging part is a legacy aspect of when folks would make ceiling storage for them. I don’t know why it continued on, since that’s the only legitimate use case for rail style hangers.

Ok, that tracks. I know my friend watches all sort of "maker" videos and stuff on 3D printing (though he has no 3D printer...) so maybe he saw that exact one. I guess he's just getting hung up (:haw:) on the "trendy" aspect of it.

I will admit that hanging them from the ceiling if you have limited floor space can make a bit of sense, but that's not the case for me. I have plenty of floor space in my basement, and like everyone here has said, a regular shelf can still be a shelf for other things. I don't think the cost reductions outweigh the benefit of just having a plain old shelf.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Was replacing the dishwasher today and discovered that a portion of the washer’s drain hose had been crushed and leaking for god knows how long. I can see some moisture running from where the dishwasher was and leading under the LVP’s water barrier. Water has not gotten between the barrier and the planks themselves.

I had the floor installed a few months back and there was no sign of mold or anything when they leveled the subfloor. Also, if there was, it almost certainly got mortared over with their leveling compound.

So all that said… what would be the best next move? Should I try and prop some of the planks up a bit and let whatever got under the barrier air dry a bit? Is it a non-issue now that the leaky appliance is out of the picture? Do I need to consider removing a whole section of floor and surveying for potential damage or drying out completely?

Just trying to figure out if water under the plastic is even an issue or if I can just breathe a sigh of relief and move on.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Reading, it seems the leak was more of a drip than a gushing. Puddles of water--higher chance of issues. Gravity pulls it down, so if you can go below the floor and look up, you'll be able to see any effects.

But it's reading like a slow drip with wicking taking place, spreading the moisture. Dry it out--I'd blowing air across for a day or so, fix the leak, and pit everything back. Jyst check again in a few days/weeks to make sure it's fixed.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

HycoCam posted:

Reading, it seems the leak was more of a drip than a gushing. Puddles of water--higher chance of issues. Gravity pulls it down, so if you can go below the floor and look up, you'll be able to see any effects.

But it's reading like a slow drip with wicking taking place, spreading the moisture. Dry it out--I'd blowing air across for a day or so, fix the leak, and pit everything back. Jyst check again in a few days/weeks to make sure it's fixed.

Honestly I’m unsure of the severity of the leak.

I think it was a pretty steady leak when there was water in there, it’s just that it was getting trapped in On the old tile, maybe? It’s honestly pretty hard to tell.

The portion that looks wet under the LVP might have just been from when I slid the washer out.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 23, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Odd question for installing a closet rod bracket:

The old closet rod broke off the brackets recently. In addition to buying better rod sockets (last ones were plastic, going metal) and a metal rod instead of wood, I'd also like to put a bracket at the midpoint.

But the PO put a shelf at the top of the closet by running a 1x4 board across the width of the closet in addition to a couple pieces at the ends to hold it up. So if I put a one of those closet rod brackets in the middle, the top part of it is on that board, and the bottom is now 1/2" from the wall.

What would be the best way to even it out that ISN'T just nailing/screwing another 1/2" board in place at the height of the brackets' bottom screw hole? I just feel like that wouldn't look as nice; especially since the top board is painted to match the closet paint, not stained, and I have no more of that paint...so they wouldn't match.

I thought either a 1/2" thick nylon spacer, or just a bunch of washers stacked up together.

Or just say gently caress it and do the board option?

Edit: V V V Yeah, I thought about that, too. I don't like the idea of "unpainted wood" from the inside of the cut being exposed, either...BUT most will be hidden by the bracket and, also...it's a closet. I shouldn't get too hung up on minor aesthetics. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 23, 2024

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I would cut a notch in the support board wide enough to accommodate the bracket so it's flush with the wall at the top.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there are adjustable rod brackets like this or similar

this one looks like it gives you maybe a half to three quarters of an inch of adjustment but there's tons of variations on this design

I googled "adjustable closet rod bracket" to find this and others

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a stud behind it? If not, I don't think it'll do much. Drywall anchors really wouldn't cut it for a bunch of clothes IMO

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Is paint stripping time sensitive?

Like, is it going to be materially easier to strip paint that's 2 or 3 weeks old vs. 2 or 3 months?

Chemically or manually, though more the former as there can't be risk of damaging the surface.

My gut says yes since it hasn't fully cured but I don't know if it actually matters?

I'm sure you can guess a significant amount of stupid lies behind this question.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
How long is unopened latex house paint good for, on average? I bought a small can last year for a project that I could not find time for, and I imagine it's probably still fine, just needs to be well mixed. I ask because I had gallons of paint that were unopened after 8-9 years and they were beyond saving by that point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stripping off of what surface? And what kind of paint?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

devicenull posted:

Is there a stud behind it? If not, I don't think it'll do much. Drywall anchors really wouldn't cut it for a bunch of clothes IMO

There's a stud, yeah, I already checked. It's not perfectly centered in the closet, but pretty close.

Leperflesh posted:

there are adjustable rod brackets like this or similar

this one looks like it gives you maybe a half to three quarters of an inch of adjustment but there's tons of variations on this design

I googled "adjustable closet rod bracket" to find this and others

Oh neat, I didn't know those existed. I'll see if my local Lowes or HD have any in stock..ink now I can get them online, but I'd like to get it done by this weekend cause our clothes we.kept in there are now strewn about on the guest bed. So if they don't have them, I'll just notch the top board.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

Stripping off of what surface? And what kind of paint?

Wainscoting.

Unsure of exact paint type, willing to bet it's the cheapest latex paint they could get.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Wainscoting.

Unsure of exact paint type, willing to bet it's the cheapest latex paint they could get.

So no, it's not really time sensitive - but you probably need to be clear about the problem and what you're looking for. Is this just something that was badly painted and is having adherance issues to the point that simply painting over it won't work? If so, something like citristrip should work. Perhaps a heat gun to clean up the leftovers. I'm assuming this is only getting stripped enough to repaint, not to stain (that's never gonna happen - it would need to be replaced).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jenkl posted:

Is paint stripping time sensitive?

Like, is it going to be materially easier to strip paint that's 2 or 3 weeks old vs. 2 or 3 months?

Chemically or manually, though more the former as there can't be risk of damaging the surface.

My gut says yes since it hasn't fully cured but I don't know if it actually matters?

I'm sure you can guess a significant amount of stupid lies behind this question.

Most paints take like 30 days to fully cure. If you're stripping before it's fully cured it will be a bit easier, but after that it doesn't matter if its a month old or 3 years old. Exception is very old paint, which often harder to strip IME not because it has been a long time since it was applied but because it is often lead based oil paint which is generally more difficult to strip than modern latex paints.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

How long is unopened latex house paint good for, on average? I bought a small can last year for a project that I could not find time for, and I imagine it's probably still fine, just needs to be well mixed. I ask because I had gallons of paint that were unopened after 8-9 years and they were beyond saving by that point.

It depends on how well you reseal the cans. At best, you'll get a decade to 15 years and that's really pushing it.

Keep the old cans though. They make great samples for matching.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

So no, it's not really time sensitive - but you probably need to be clear about the problem and what you're looking for. Is this just something that was badly painted and is having adherance issues to the point that simply painting over it won't work? If so, something like citristrip should work. Perhaps a heat gun to clean up the leftovers. I'm assuming this is only getting stripped enough to repaint, not to stain (that's never gonna happen - it would need to be replaced).

I don't have many details.

The story is someone I know is buying a house in a dumb market. They offered X no inspection, dude refused to budge and had to have his number Y.

They waited a week, then decided to go back with Y + inspection.

In that week, the dude decided the problem was the (from pics I assume stained or veneered) wainscoting not being whitewashed was the problem. Along with decided to spend more than the difference in X and Y to renovate the kitchen and bath, and then relist, to try and get his number.

I'm trying to figure out how worth it is to try and press for a more immediate solution.

gently caress if it absolutely can't be re-stained.

I guess that makes sense, properly sanding it down would be... Ooph.

Still, don't think it's a dealbreaker given the prices were talking. Dumb markets are dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is little chance it would be cost or time effective to strip it wll enough to re-stain it. I'm not saying it absolutely can't be done, just that it's simply not worth it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if it's like a genuine craftsman house with gorgeous old wood and some rear end in a top hat just slapped paint on it, then maybe it's worth many thousands to restore the original wood, maybe

if it's a 1990s house with wooden baseboards, yeah just peel them out and put in new ones if you want the natural wood look

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I asked. They believe it's original and stained, from 1910.

loving Gary.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I attended a wood window repair workshop last weekend and they had a box made out of insulated sheathing that we would slot the full sashes into, then run a clothing steamer into a hole on the side for like 20 minutes. then we pulled the sashes and the paint would come off like 8 layers at a time. the other method was trying not to light them on fire with a heat gun

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the issue isn't so much getting the paint off - there's a variety of chemical strippers etc - but the fact the paint is likely to stain or discolor the wood underneath, which is harder to deal with, and then compounded by the shape in moulding that makes it harder to like just lightly sand with an orbital sander.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

They should lower the offer and state the reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

I asked. They believe it's original and stained, from 1910.

loving Gary.

Oh poo poo well.....yeah, we're back to the part where I said it wasn't impossible. But this is now a restoration-level job with a restoration sized budget.

E: I suppose there's an outside chance that the original stain sealed it well enough that the wood won't be discolored, but stripping paint to the level required will NOT be fun and is likely to involve things like strip pads and literally brushing chemically softened paint out of millwork with toothbrushes.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 24, 2024

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
I was putting a new battery in my mower when I noticed it has four connecting wires. Two black and two red. Should I just bolt both wires to each matching terminal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Eater posted:

I was putting a new battery in my mower when I noticed it has four connecting wires. Two black and two red. Should I just bolt both wires to each matching terminal?

How were they before? What kind of mower?

In general, the answer is "yes" but there's not enough information to confidently tell you that.