Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I think part of the issue is the number of separate jobs that have to be done.
1) chunks up (by hand)
2) hot water down to hydrate what's left
3) scrub to loosen it
4) suck up the water/poo poo mixture
5) another pass of #3-4 to sanitize

If I'm boiling water and carrying jugs up and down, #2 could take a seriously long time. #4 is another stumbling block, I'm not sacrificing every towel in the house, so that would mean renting a wet vac, which has most of the negatives of the cleaner rental.

Would be perfect if it were a sidewalk, but not indoors.

Yeah, with taxes and fees it's $75 for 4 hours, $115 for 24 hours. It doesn't come with cleanser, but nbd to buy a big jug for $10 while I'm there.

It is stuck and some of it is puddles. I think on like linoleum it wouldn't be so bad, but the concrete is so rough that even if you chip off a log well, it's still in every tiny pit and around every tiny pebble. If you chip off a log badly (my dad using a snow shovel because he doesn't want to buy a $2 scraper), the bottom third just stays.

I hear you guys saying elbow grease can do it, but I straight-up don't have the time and I'm rehabbing a knee injury. I'll give it a shot in one area and see if it goes much faster than I expect, but I'm not sure.

I think the perfect solution would be renting this smaller model, but Home Depot doesn't offer it and I don't know anywhere else that rents tools (Lowe's doesn't). If there are any other labor-saving solutions, I would be down for those too.

You could search for “equipment rental *your city*” and see what comes up. A place like that might have a wider selection of cleaning devices.

As for getting a wet vac, I can’t recommend having even a small shop-vac enough. Saved me from hand-cleaning mixed household waste water in my old poo poo rental more than once. I’m not sure it’s the right tool for this job but it is for many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Before you do anything, go to local library and check out a copy of The Black And Decker Guide to Home Wiring

Also very well worth picking up as a reference volume, and can be had stupid cheap on Abe Books or Thriftbooks.

It basically walks you through understanding home electricity, and has lots of charts and diagrams, and is very simple to understand.

Same thing for the Popular Mechanics Home How To, though that covers high level of everything. I think it’s out of print, so again thriftbooks and the like are perfect for picking up a cheap copy.

The updated home fix it guidebook Amazon recommends is trash, I accidentally bought that for a friend and you can’t read the drat thing. Instead of being organized into logical sections like plumbing, and electrical, it’s organized alphabetically so you have to look up everything from the index, because the editors think that it’s better in a search engine format. It really isn’t, and you can’t get a high level understanding of the correct way of doing something and then go watch some YouTube university, which is my typical approach when doing something new or some I haven’t touched in awhile.

Thanks for posting these recs, I picked up several of the Black and Decker guides and the Popular Mechanics one for about $40 between AbeBooks (has tons of used copies of various editions for less than $5) and Amazon for the wiring book. My dad used to have pretty much an entire library of the Black and Decker references, probably from the late 80's or early 90's, that I was planning on inheriting until my parents' tinderbox of a garage was destroyed in a fire early last year.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Is it worthwhile to buy a FLIR camera for home projects? Asking because I have an old century home with plaster and lathe and I'm doing all sorts of work that requires finding the studs. Stud finders and rare earth magnets haven't been helpful. I know that FLIR cams help find wall studs in drywall but I'm wondering if it will do the same with plaster and lathe.

My house for some reason has 2 layers of drywall everywhere. Spent three months trying to find studs to hang things with 2 different stud finders before my dad and I figured out it was double drywall and neither studfinder I have could detect through that thickness. Cue 16 1” spaced pilot holes trying to find studs for the TV wall mount, which I obviously couldn’t afford to drywall mount.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you need to paint urgently I would highly recommend finding a Benjamin Moore retailer near you. They have a massive selection of colors and finishes and the regal select, although expensive, is really thick, covers extremely well, and looks nearly-professional even if you’ve never painted yourself before.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you’re buying work boots then do yourself a favor and get a pair with a hard toe cap. You might not be required to have it but you would be surprised at how much peace of mind comes from wearing steel toes. Plus, you might need them in the future and this saves you another purchase, which would certainly be more expensive than getting one good pair of steel toes now.

I wore mine the last time I moved, it’s great being able to rest furniture etc on your toe cap while you’re getting a handle on the item.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

I had a pair of steel toe docs about 10 years ago and the toe ended up being super uncomfortable (basically I could feel it pressing against the side of my toe when wearing them).

I'll try on redwing's steel toes but I'm not treating it like a must have.

That’s an issue with 1 pair of steel toes you tried on, not steel toes in general. Red wing offers a huge variety of sizes and widths. Mine are extremely comfortable, as comfortable as my LL Bean boots that I wear casually.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m going to be running cat-6 cable through the walls of my house. What kind of specs for the cable are important to shop for? I’m probably going to try to find a crimper to borrow so I’ll buy the cable in bulk.

I’m planning on running one cat-6 cable to a switch in the attic, then several to ports in a few places around the house. Can I use the same holes in the top plate that the Romex or other wiring uses to run cables to outlet boxes in the same stud bay, or is it important to have separate holes for each? I haven’t gone up to look yet, but there’s definitely already some coax run in at least one place I want to put a port, so I’ll probably use whatever openings are already there for that port, but there are others in new locations I’m not so sure about.

Another question: while I’m at it I’m also going to be running speaker wire for a couple surround sound speakers through the attic. What’s the best practice for poking speaker wire through the drywall, both from the receiver into the stud bay and also back out to the speakers? It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that needs a box, but I’m afraid I’m in the area of “knowledge enough to know the terms and tools but not the requirements” for wiring projects.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

Doesn't really matter for the distance's you'll be going in your house. Something like this would be fine: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=40658 You're planning on doing wall plates right, not just shoving ethernet through the wall and putting a connector on it?

For sure will be using wall plates.

quote:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3639 plus [url]https:// https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7015[/url] (you'll need a bunch of the second one for the wall plates you're putting in for your ethernet

The description for the gang box says that it adjusts to fit wall plates flush with the mounting surface - this is the back surface of the plate, correct? Is there a way I can recess the speaker connection plate so I can hang the speaker on the wall directly in front of it and just use a little junction of speaker wire to connect the two? Maybe that’s how this configuration installs anyway and I’m just not picturing it correctly.

I browsed around on monoprice and saw they have quite a lot of options for low voltage wall plates. I’m planning on going to a big box hardware store this weekend, so I’ll look at what they have in-person and see if I can wrap my head around the configurations.

E: can I just plug a banana plug right into these connectors? That seems much simpler than I was imagining.

E2 to answer my own question: I need a pin connector to stick into the speakers. I think i can just buy these and attach them to the wall plate, then plug directly into the speaker.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 6, 2021

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

How is that switch going to hold up to the heat of summer? Anyway, you'll want riser rated cat6, the cheapest kind.

You generally don't want to run any low voltage cables in parallel against line voltage cables. The reason is that it causes interference. Drill a second hole. Low voltage sharing holes is fine though.

Old work low voltage rings are awesome for fishing wires in walls. They let you cut a hole in the wall big enough to reach your hand in, then a regular electrical face plate screws into the ring. For speakers, a 2 port keystone plate along with banana jacks work well. You may want to invest in a set of fiberglass wire fishing rods AKA fish sticks also. Fish sticks let you push as well as pull wire. Use electrical tape and tape a full foot of wire to the rod. Buy some extra rolls of tape if you have a lot of runs. You'll go through tape like candy.

Max operating temperature for the switch i purchased is 104*F, what temperature should I expect my attic to be during the summer? High 90’s? Hotter? If that’s the case then I’ll just put the switch with the router in the living area and run from that. It’s just more ports in a plate.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'd like to have it right now as just regular grass. I might put some raised beds for fruits/veggies in there next year, but right now I've got enough space for my garden plans in my beds in the backyard.

It's specifically one of those "won't kill grass, kills other things" type of herbicides.

Right now it is a giant mix of things:

That's technically a pic from last spring, but basically looks the same this year. Dead areas, crab grass, some good grass, low areas, high areas, clover (which I'm ok with, if it was mostly all clover I'd let it be.)

If you’re planning on making some grass into garden, consider using a sod cutter to just move healthy grass from the garden spots into the ugly spots (you can use the sod cutter to get a fresh surface to lay your sod into). I did this in my backyard with what’s essentially just a patchwork of healthy sod chunks laid onto flat-cut dirt, and it took pretty much right away. The sod cutter was pretty fun to use, too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Looking at a house in a rural area today, and saw this thing in the yard. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't even begin to guess what it is.

Maybe it’s processing methane or other emissions from the septic system?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

NotNut posted:

How reliable an indicator of effectiveness is the NRR rating on hearing protectors?

Look at the attenuation rating, and subtract it from whatever the volume level is of the thing you’re being exposed to. Shoot for less than 85 (or it might be 95, can’t recall) dB after attenuation. If you need, you can combine ear canal plugs with earmuffs, in which case the attenuation is approximately additive.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It bears repeating that the NRR is only a measure of how much reduction in volume the muffs or plugs can provide. If the thing you’re being exposed to is 130 dB, then the difference between 24 and 30 dB is pretty significant. If it’s only 110 dB, then both will provide enough protection to get you below the permissible limit. Most of the stuff in the previous post is probably around 110-120 dB at a guess.

You can combine disposable or re-usable earplugs with Bluetooth muffs to reduce the amount of attenuation you need out of the earmuffs, which might expand your selection a lot if you’re willing to combine with another type of protection.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
McMaster delivers stuff to my lab same-day if it’s ordered early enough. They do big business supplying just-in-time widgets and whatsits.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

What did you use to make those beautiful annotations? :stare:

Yes, more turns of tape around the joint and feathered out is also my vote.

They appear to be MS Word annotations. The drawing tools are very good for annotating images, with some practice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Someone please help me figure out how to install this little plastic thingy in my new French door freezer drawer, I’ve looked everywhere and simply cannot figure out where this thing goes. It’s from a whirlpool model no. WRF535SWHV03 and the installers didn’t put it in when they dropped off the fridge.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yep, thanks for sorting that out for me. Glad it’s there now... I guess?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

I picked up a new shift knob for my car.

I watch far too much "How It's Made" for my own good, and I've seen them fill in engravings with a translucent resin or epoxy that comes out of a little needle and then hardens.

I was thinking of filling in the "R" with red and the gear numbers in black, but I don't even know where to start with trying to find what I'm looking for. would it be an epoxy, resin, acrylic?

I'm not looking to make it flush. If it's higher at the edges than the middle I'd be okay with it, I just don't want it to easily pop out.

Probably resin or epoxy if you’re thinking it needs curing after coming out of a needle. Dymax is a brand name of a company that makes such needle-delivered materials. We use one at work to mask pinholes that cures under UV like a dentist’s adhesive.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

I've got a gas dryer that I can't figure out. Usually but not always, it will run forever on the auto dry cycle because it never gets hot. However, once I take the front panel off and look at it, it ignites on startup just fine. All of the sensors and the fuse ring out with my multimeter. If I take the panel off, I can watch the dryer go through its paces like it's supposed to: start button gets pushed, drum spins, ignitor lights up, gas solenoids open, flame lights, it burns until the thermostat turns it off, lather, rinse, repeat.

I hate intermittent problems. Do I need to catch it in the act?

I had this issue where my dryer would start the flame initially but never re-light to maintain temperature. I tried replacing a fuse and when that didn’t work, I ordered a solenoid (can’t remember exactly what it was called) and replaced it, which fixed it right up.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Based on the pics you’ve posted, that’s definitely not a ceiling fan-rated box. The screw holes for a plain fixture and the ceiling fan are in the same place, so a lazy installer won’t make sure there’s the correct box mounted to a joist or bracer before attaching a ceiling fan. All the fans in my house were like this, just stuffed into drywall in the ceiling between joists.

DaveSauce posted:

IIRC downrods are in fact tapered threads.

But those threads have been flattened pretty bad

IMO that downrod thread is still a problem. But I'm not that kind of engineer so :shrug:

I agree those threads look hosed. The shiny flattened thread tips are a dead giveaway for smearing damage usually from cross-threading.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Someone who likes statics and dynamics more than me can calculate what effective load is applied to the downrod when a 42” ceiling fan is spinning at max speed, but I’m comfortable saying that the strength of JB weld wouldn’t provide enough of a safety factor to hold up the heavy thing above my face while I’m sleeping. Just replace the downrod - threads are a really strong joining method so if they’re specified for something structural I wouldn’t cut corners.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

OP seemed hellbent on keeping the downrod for some reason, and a lot of people were telling them that the threads were just fine. I was just trying to offer options :shrug:

I would personally never put that fan up with the threads in that condition, JB weld or no.

Yep, no shade on you, I totally understand wanting to offer solutions with the tools someone’s willing to use.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Finally got around to replacing a kitchen drawer with a busted drawer slide this weekend.

The new drawer, which was custom made but not by me, is VERY stiff opening/closing. It looks to me that some combination of my measuring and the manufacturer's building might have made it just a hair too wide, like....1/16" or something. Just wide enough it can still fit into the slides, but it just slightly presses out on them to make the movement so stiff. Plus, it has a "soft close" feature when the drawer is roughly 2" open, and that does not work until the drawer is close to 1/2" open...and I have to actively push it the entire way to that 1/2", if you catch my drift...it's too stiff to just sort of "set it and forget it" as it should work by giving it one big shove.

With the tools that I have, I'm thinking the best fix is one of a few things:

1) Mark the width of the slides on the drawer, remove the slides on the drawer (leave the ones on the inside of the cabinet), and use my router table with a 3/4" straight cut bit to just barely route a groove for the slides...like, start at maybe like 1/32" deep on each side and see if that helps.

2) Use my table saw to just rip off a saw blade's width from one or both sides of the entire drawer. Obviously, I'd have to do two passes per side by flipping it since the drawer is ~4.5" tall.

3) The same idea as #2, but just with a hand plane...but I own no hand plane and haven't really ever hand planned in my life, so that's a factor there.

Can you tell the manufacturer it doesn’t fit and ask them to fix it? Unless you’ve got calipers you really don’t have any reason to blame yourself for mis-measuring; they just as easily could have messed up their tolerances setting up the machine to make your drawer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

All of the plastic lightswitch fixtures in my basement are splitting and cracking like this:

What could be causing this? Again it's only the lightswitches in my basement. I replaced a few of them and within a few months they cracked instantly. And I was very careful not to over tighten the screws. Is it possible my basement's high humidity levels could be causing this? Because my basement was very wet up until recently where I put in a sump pump. And the sump pump installation caused out entire foundation to shift a bit (turns out that we were sitting on a lot of water).

I’m guessing the humidity, some plastics can hydrate and become very brittle. The foundation shifting maybe could do it? The plate should be fixed to a single piece of drywall, though, so there shouldn’t be any stresses induced to the plate from two structural members shifting, since it’s mechanically fixed to only one of the members.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Maybe youve checked but see if all the screws on the hinges are snugly fastened. thats the most common cause for poorly closing doors ive found. replacing one screw on each hinge on the jamb side with a 3" deck screw can help draw a loose jamb tight again

My dad did this to a couple of my doors when he was loving around while I took care of my kid right after he was born and it made a big difference in how nicely the doors fit and hung.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a handy source for accurate diagrams and illustrations of simple home structural elements? I’m especially interested in cross-sections just because I grok those most easily. a variety of installation types for each feature would also be helpful.

The reason I’m asking: I have a cinderblock foundation on concrete slab garage with an entry door to the backyard that opens onto a poured cement pathway. My hose bib is on the east (right) side of the pathway, and my garden is on the west (left) side. The bib is closed in by this concrete path. To run irrigation to my garden, I’m going to need to get a water line across this cement path somewhere, and my first thought was to put it beneath this threshold across the width of the door, which would span the concrete as far as I need it to.

I just don’t know what’s underneath the metal threshold, and I’m not keen on tearing it out to find concrete beneath it that I can’t cut through, anyway. Hence, cross-sections of various installation configurations, so I can see what I might run into before cracking it open.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

The rest of the door frame, and then your sill plate and then your cinderblock foundation.

Does this place have a basement? How about an overall picture from where the hose bib is to where you want it to go? It seems like you're approaching this in a very strange way.

No basement, the garage is a later addition to the house. Here are some pictures:

Bib is the blue thing on the other side of the... stuff.

The door, threshold, and cement pad to be crossed.

From the door towards the backyard, with the dog and the plants that need watering. There's more pathway to cross, obviously, but there's already a gutter drain line ran underneath it that I was going to just tap into at the soil level.

Orange line is the gutter drain line. It goes down a slight incline, maybe a foot and half or two before coming out at a low point in the yard. Irrigation line can come out somewhere on the other side of the pathway.

Overall view of the yard to be watered. Both slightly raised and in-ground beds. I can measure/estimate square footage if necessary.

Ya some more photos would help. You can undo the screws in the threshold and see if you can work it free, but I don’t think it’ll be helpful for you.

In short, you need to cross water line from the right side of the photo to the left? And ideally it is hidden/underground? If that’s the case, you could cut a small section from your concrete path (4”-6” wide) lay some 1-2” aluminum conduit and pour new concrete over it. That way you’ll have a little tunnel you can run your water lines through, and you can pull & replace the line if needed

I assume the water pressures associated w irrigation wouldn’t make it up much incline otherwise you could run it up & over your door.

Easiest but worst option:

This is the obvious solution, but I've never personally cut nor poured concrete by myself. I would be comfortable learning and doing it, though, and it's probably about as simple of a job as can be to learn on. I think I like this idea best even though it's probably the biggest pain.

The pressure regulator I have for the faucet attachment specifies 25 psi, which (without calculating it) almost certainly isn't going to get over the doorframe in 1/2" irrigation line.

If only the threshold were slightly higher than the concrete, I would just build a simple wooden platform to clean shoes and hide the line underneath. It would be too awkward with how flush the threshold already is to the concrete, though.

NoSpoon posted:

Can you just dig a hole either side of the path a foot out from the house and tunnel under the path? Ideally jam some kind of conduit in there (drain pipe?) and push as much material back around it as you can, but shouldn’t cause too much drama if (big if) the path has any reinforcing at all. I’d certainly feel more comfortable with the water being there rather than in the door threshold.

I could dig on either side no problem (FWIW an auger that fits my drill makes this kind of thing super-easy). I wasn't sure how deep I would have to go, whether there would be reinforcement to deal with beneath the concrete, and whether or not the pressure would be enough to make it back up from the necessary depth. I could carefully dig around and see what I find - this might be the easiest solution that hides the line.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Do that. Run your line below it. It's probably all of 4" deep.

You also need a backflow preventer somewhere past the hose bib in the irrigation system and it needs to be higher than the highest emitter on the system. So figure out where that's going to go.

There’s one in the faucet attachment kit. Thanks, I wasn’t sure if I was going to find 4 more inches of gravel and/or sand beneath the concrete.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I hate to start a project and then find that every assumption I made was wrong, so I appreciate the explanations. Much more confident in getting under the concrete around my house in general.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Beef Of Ages posted:

Having been on a trip out of town recently, I was slightly dismayed to find the side door to my garage standing wide open upon our return. I was further disquieted to learn that someone had stolen a bunch of my poo poo from the garage (my chop saw, my tool box, our bikes, etc). Initial evidence suggested that my wife didn't close the door properly when we left. A new occurrence of finding the door standing wide open this morning after I know good and drat well I closed it has caused me to mount a new investigation.

The results are that the latch on the door lock is not seating deeply enough in the strike plate when the door is closed to remain latched if any reasonable force is applied like me pulling on the door handle (which I tested this morning) or a decent gust of wind (which is the actual culprit given our location in the upper Midwest). Initial research has shown suggestions of shimming the door hinges to decrease the distance between the edge of the door and the strike plate, thus causing the latch to seat deeper into the strike plate gap in the door jamb.

This approach makes logical sense to me, but what doesn't is the suggestion of using cardboard to serve as the shim. I get the concept of it not splintering or shattering like a wood shim would during the reattachment of the hinge screws, but cardboard? Other than apologizing to my wife, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Installing a deadbolt. It’s not your fault or your wife’s you got robbed, but a good deadbolt will both give you secure peace of mind that the door is latched and locked as well as actual security, since a deadbolt can’t be defeated nearly as easily as a latch and strike plate.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is fair, but also dramatically more invasive as the door is not cut for one and I didn't have the tools to create such a hole even before all my poo poo got jacked. Considering an internal bolt lock for when we're out of town as an additional protection measure that accomplishes a similar goal.

Any thoughts on the cardboard shim bit?

Cardboard is more widely available (pretty much everyone has scraps around), maybe? It’s also compressible compared to a wooden shim. Not sure what advantage that would have in this situation, though.

Your internal bolt lock sounds good, so long as there’s no safety or ease-of-access issues presented by not being able to unlock from the outside.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Do not get keys made anywhere there’s an automated machine doing it. I have had a very low success rate with those, usually the keys don’t work or take a lot of jiggling. Find a human on a grinder, TrueValue and Ace usually have somebody around here.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

A) Using the cut-off from the door is a great idea. I'm cutting 3-4" off the bottom, so I'll have plenty of scrap.

B) Going undersized and packing it with sawdust/glue/Bondo is something I'm trying to avoid just for, as you pointed out, strength of the repair. There will be a fair bit of stress at that spot, so the better the bond, the happier I'll be. It occurs to me I can just go to a hardware store and physically measure the internal diameter of a 2-1/4 or 2-3/8 holesaw and cross my fingers one of them works out to 2-1/8. Definitely could always sand to fit, but the closer I start, the better.

Buy a dowel rod at 2-1/8” and cut disks using a circular or table saw to the thickness of the door, then do as everyone else said and wood filler that in there. It doesn’t make any sense to try to cut 6 circular blanks compared to slicing off a dowel rod, at least to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

El Mero Mero posted:

I've got a one inch thick plate of steel that's 16" long that i need to take an inch off of. Would a regular angle grinder do the trick or would that be an exercise in futility?

You need a bandsaw if this needs to be a straight cut. An angle grinder would do it eventually but you’d also end up ruining the heat treat along the cut face.

You could try a hacksaw, it would take forever but would be pretty straight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

the cutting wheel exploding thing is wayyyy overblown, especially for 4.5" zip discs. they're flexble and fiber-reinforced, twisting them under load just chews them up big time. Even if they did explode, they're too lightweight and flexible to penetrate proper safety gear .. that picture of the safety glasseswith the piece of the grinder wheel is a hoax

you can get hosed up really easy if you dont wear eye protection -- and i dont think safety glasses are enough, goggles are best -- but with proper safety gear, properly positioned guard and some respect for the tool, the risk is pretty low.

this reckless grandpa's video matches what i've seen and experienced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epscc8Z5niQ&t=285s

I have personally exploded dozens and dozens of abrasive wheels while freehand cutting with a hand grinder without a guard, back-cutting hardware to reveal crack surfaces. They have almost no mass and if you wear long cotton sleeves and a face shield, this poster is right that you can’t really hurt yourself with a 4” wheel. Bigger wheels are in enclosed cutting chambers because those actually are dangerous.

We use to have a saw everyone in the shop called the suicide saw because it was a pretty unguarded abrasive cutter with a 5-axis vise you could use to make delicate cuts very straight (like 18” straight through plate steel). Even with 8 inch wheels, which I popped plenty of, any face shield will easily protect you from harm.

Honestly, the important piece of PPE that people often forget is hearing protection. Those grinders can get very loud and earplugs are dead easy to wear regularly.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I’d suggest putting a worm clamp over the taped joining of the duct and exhaust outlet for added security.

Also devicenull’s suggestion of a rigid elbow is a good idea. But bear in mind that most exhaust fans have design specifications that advise against elbows placed so close to the exhaust outlet. My Panasonic Whisper fan for example recommends 2-3 feet of straight run before an elbow, or else the fan detects excessive air pressure and shuts itself off automatically.

But then again that 2-3 foot spacing might not be a luxury that you have. In that case I’d just put the elbow in, any way.

I have a whirlpool OTR microwave that advertises 400 CFM airflow at max speed, with a 90* elbow about 18” from the outlet and a couple more downstream. Never had a problem with excessive back-pressure, for what it’s worth. Big difference between 18” and 6”, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Trying to figure out how to secure a pressure-mounted baby gate in a stairway with no flat surfaces. Got some little bits of wood and was planning to secure two of them to the floor with a couple of wood screws each, then secure one to the wall with a couple of masonry screws. These would be on a landing that has hollow space underneath it where air blows out, I looked in the associated vent and I wouldn't be drilling into any hidden metal ventilation ducts. Any obvious pitfalls with this plan or viable alternatives to it before I start drilling holes in everything?

They have mesh extending baby gates now. I wonder if you could affix one side to the wall and extend it out to catch on the red railing rather than trying to pressure-mount something.

I haven’t tried them with my 16-month old yet but we also don’t have any stairs in our house. He doesn’t need to be protected.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but I'm gonna ask here anyway. I'm looking for some blocks of metal. Preferably something soft and lightweight, yet strong, like aluminum. I'll need 10 pieces total, and I'll need them to be about 1inW x 1.5inH x 2inL, but I would also take a single longer length that I can cut down into pieces. These blocks don't need to be clean, pristine new metal, either; They can be part of something else and taken off of whatever in order to make this. Also, I know I have a local metal supplier that I can buy this from, but if I can get them relatively cheap from somewhere that's nationally available across the US, then all the better.

Anyone got any ideas?

Try searching for key stock, zinc is pretty soft. I’m not sure it comes that large, but Home Depot carries a bunch of sizes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Shoot! I’ll go back to the hardware store tomorrow then. The guy I talked to last time wasn’t as knowledgeable as I had hoped.

I hope high temperature connectors are common enough that a Home Depot would carry them. I’m not seeing anything specific on their website.

Is there a TrueValue or Ace near you? I have found those places have significantly more useful employees for less straightforward questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

Which side of my workbench should I attach the vice to? I’m right handed and there’s plenty of room on either side.

I’m leaning towards the right side, but I’m not sure if this is decision that more experienced people would immediately recognize the answer to.

Right-hand side, so you can hold the workpiece with your left hand and tighten the vise with your right by free-wheeling the handle.