Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
You're looking for a "shop light" fixture. The problem you're gonna have is that a new fluorescent fixture will run you about 20 bucks, the same as one that comes with LEDs already in it so you're not really saving money, just making work if you need to rip out the ballast anyway. If you could find used ones locally you might save some money but the time you'll put it probably not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Oh I do- there is a lever on the outside of the stove that drops down into the ash tray below.

I've looked at a few YT videos and Google Images and they show it being uncovered... I'm leaning towards it being intentionally uncovered... ?

I would assume with the ash removal kit installed it's supposed to be open, so you can move ash into that and remove it while the fire is still burning.

Harman stoves I have experience with have a similar principle-- they drop ash into a tray while the stove is running so you can leave it on 24/7.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Shouldn't you have a drain or like a floor drain in case that pot filler goes crazy?

Do they make 220 volt GFCI outlets?

Pot fillers have two shut offs, one at the wall and one at the end of the extension arm but if both fail or you leave it on, you're gonna have a bad time.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Lutron is also going to be in gloss to match their screwless plates, and appears to have a "designer" inset rounded square where the test and reset buttons are.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

True true.

I'll just wire it the way it was before, which does say is for a single switch according to the manual, bit it worked fine previously from either switch, so...?

Edit: I just realized I'm dumb. Two switch wiring doesn't me three-way, it means separate switches for light and fan. God, I'm stupid. At any rate, it all works now.

the "white" attached to the black/blue is actually a hot, I think you have switch leg to one of the 3-ways. I see another wire nut in the box up there, that's probably between two black wires, one of which is the circuit hot and the other runs to one of the 3-ways to get switched then comes back as a white wire.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

The detergent door on my ~2 year old dishwasher has stopped opening. There's nothing blocking it, and I can pry it open with my hands, but if I fill it up and run a load of dishes, the door will be closed when the cycle is finished. We have hard water, so I'm going to try and soak/scrub it with vinegar, but is there anything else I should try?

There's going to be a solenoid inside the door that triggers mid-cycle and it's possible it or the linkage has failed. Generally not the worst repair, googling model number and "detergent solenoid" is probably a good start to find a manual/part replacement guide.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Almost Smart posted:

Yeah, Tesla is the only game in town for solar shingles unfortunately. It’s a two-story house with a roof around 2000 square feet, maybe a bit less. I was expecting it to cost around $35 per square foot at the high end (so ~$70k before accounting for subsidies), but the roofing guy said it would be around $100-120k, which is a complete non-starter. We need something like solar shingles or something that can lay flat on top of conventional shingles and blend in with them since we have a real butt of an HOA to deal with.

SunPower has flat black architectural panels that can be installed flush, I'd find the local dealer for them and see if those might be acceptable.

https://sunpower.maxeon.com/int/solar-panel-products/performance-solar-panels

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

I bought some light fixtures to replace some poo poo ones left by the PO. Until now I haven't even examined these fixtures closely. Can anyone explain to me what I'm seeing? I'm guessing this is some sort of weird Russian doll of can light inserts.

Old fixture:

Can behind old fixture

Box behind can of old fixture plus mystery hatch that I can't seem to get open

Trying everything I can to try and open that hatch in the last picture (which I presume opens to some sort of attached j box). I might get a little more destructive if I have to.
In addition to hoping someone can shed some light on what I've uncovered, I'm hoping for some guidance on how I can possibly get a box up in here with some standard mounting holes for the new fixture, preferably something the doesn't involve ripping this entire thing out of the ceiling and wiring in a new box. For reference, this is a first floor ceiling, above is another room, not attic or anything accessible.

What’s up there is probably something like this

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Halo-New-Construction-IC-Recessed-Light-Housing-Common-6-in-Actual-6-5-in/1094343

So there’s no traditional box to mount a fixture to. At some point the PO wanted brighter halogens so they got a screw base to bi-pin adapter.

You can buy can light conversion kits that will get you a mount for a regular fixture but they have weight limits, so what you bought might or might not work

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

That makes sense. So something along the lines of this is probably what I need then?

That should do the trick

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was introduced to Robertson/square by my Canadian in-laws and migrating to those primarily has been a huge reduction in annoyance on projects

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I need to buy a new ceiling fan but those remotes annoy the poo poo out of me. I have a two switch setup right now. Can I bypass the remote controller and just wire everything directly? And then use something like https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DVFSQ-F-WH-Single-3-Speed-Control/dp/B0006UUIC4/ to control the fan speed?

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, usually it’s just a box that goes between the house wiring and the unit and gets stuffed into the junction box. Just don’t install it.

I have several shoved into a drawer for use never.

I have seen some DC fans where the inverter/remote module is all one piece, so I'd stay away from those to be safe. They're still a minority but be aware.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Also, it looks like it isn't possible to bypass the controller on a DC motor fan to use an adjustable speed wall switch? All the DC switches I saw were basically hardwired remotes.

Correct, the same board that does the DC conversion usually also has the remote stuff on it.

You need to find an older non-DC version or a different fan.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

Is there any good free planning/drawing software out there? I'm gonna remodel my attic and want to draw a floor plan etc because it's pretty oddly shaped. All I can think of right now is sketchup, but I think that's more for 3D stuff?

SketchUp works fine for 2d as well, just don't use the push/pull tools and stay on the starting plane with the drawing tools.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Shittily-installed & corroded grounds bonded to your water pipe that are barely functional any more.

Find out what they're for & bond to ground somewhere else. You can drive a ground spike in right alongside or under that bib & bond them there.

Based on the box next to them probably for CATV

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you take it off is there a manufacturer name on the back of the plate?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

hello, thread,

because i have a lot of musical instruments and wood items scattered around, i am looking to humidify my ~2000 ft^2 home. the biggest challenge is i rent this home, so i cannot do something more elaborate and probably better with the hvac system. any recommendations on industrial-like humidifiers? ideally it could tap into the water system somehow so i don't have to refill it constantly. i've only briefly looked on the internet as i'm well out of my element with this kind of thing and am not really understanding what i'm looking at for most of it.

any direction would be greatly appreciated! and i'm more than happy to supply any further info. just let me know.

a console-style humdifier is probably the right solution-- they're designed to do large spaces and have sizable tanks so you won't have to fill it as often.

like so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9YFXSS

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
also good luck finding skilled tradespeople if you ever need to match a plaster rock lath finish in an area where plaster is no longer common. Doing actual full plaster was impossible and it took my GC forever to find a drywaller that would even attempt to a blueboard + plaster with skip trowel wall. Turned out OK in the end but I much prefer the 3/4+3/4 walls for solidity and sound deadening. My next project will probably specify double drywall in an attempt to get closer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tezer posted:

I worked for a lighting company that provided medium base string lights for events, bulbs got stored in brute trash cans when not in the strings. When loading the strings you would first test each bulb in a little welded stand clamped to the table that was wired to line voltage.

Saved time, in retrospect glad my hand never slipped.

so this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz7X7WQIau4

so many chances for shocks.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Because I am old and getting over covid (I'll have more excuses soon) I can't find the thread or posts where the goon recommended trying Tru-Tone LED Christmas bulbs that are supposed to mimic the old-style incadescent C7 & C9 bulbs I use in my strings.

Well, I bought a sample of them, and put a couple in my front light display, and holy crap, I cannot tell them apart from incandescent (one batch I bought is pink - which looks better than it should - so I can spot the test bulb).

The color temperature and brightness is dead-on. I am sold, and will be migrating to them over the next few years. If I decide to sell the stock of incandescents that I have, it may offset some of the cost; Tru-Tones are still expensive, but if they are as durable as LEDs tend to be they will be worth it - they are a bit more than legacy bulbs on eBay.

Tru-Tones look far better than the Chinese incandescents I have. drat.

The only problem is that Tru-Tone is (unsurprisingly) sold out of holiday colors (red, green white, but also blue) so I have to keep checking back with them on availability.

Glad they lived up to your expectations, usually new stock has been showing up in late october, if you join their mailing list which at this point isn't too spammy, you get advance notice of the stock refresh.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Schlage specifies lubriplate 130-AA for cylinder lube

https://www.amazon.com/Lubriplate-130-AA-Multi-Purpose-Calcium-L0044-086/dp/B010TRWJBQ

And I finally bought some and did my sticky deadbolts and they have never worked nicer.

Edit:re-reading your origibal complaint I also used it to lube the inner workings of the knob and it also regained some nice springiness-- worth a try for $14

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 24, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The marker is going to be fine to fix that, you will never see it once it's brown-ish

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

what's the best option for just putting in some basic shelves in my closets? I want to get rid of the cheap rubbermaid stuff. this one in my laundry closet is 63" wide, 17" deep. I looked up a custom sized solid walnut shelf and that was 370 bucks - I don't need anything like that either, maybe there is some cheaper alternative (melamine? mdf?). I also have two closets were I want the same kind of shelf, but also attach a rod for hangers below.

i don't like closet systems either because they have way more than i need, and they have those vertical bars like i have now that i don't need either.

Closetmaid makes brackets for those standards that are already on your wall meant for solid shelves if you don't mind the wall-mount part. Get some prefinished baltic birch plywood and cut it to size as the actual shelving. a 4x8 sheet I think runs ~$100 still.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

null_pointer posted:

Is there a solar power thread or something related? Connecticut is about to go through a 40% price hike for power bills, so given that I've been kicking around the idea of going solar for a while, the time is definitely come. I've just got too many questions on finding a company, leasing versus purchasing, etc, and would like goon help.

If you have the means to do so, purchasing outright even with financing is the best path-- leases and PPAs create complication around selling and if you need to re-roof. Your payback period will almost certainly be shorter.

As for finding the right contractor, it's like any other trade in that the best option will probably be a local business with a garbage website and if possible get a referral from someone who's used them. As a starting point, you could look for sunpower dealers even if you don't go with a sunpower solution. They don't mandate exclusivity but do vet them so chances are they're not a shoddy fly by night operation.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 13, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Plastic corrugated roofing is a good search term to start with

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone got any tips for drilling actually-aligned holes?

Since you have a drill press, clamp two pieces of scrap with flat sides at 90 degrees to make a jig, on the constant dimension, you can place the piece to be cut right against it, and on the one that varies, leave enough room to slide in sheets of paper as a thin shim, then clamp the aluminum to be drilled to the constant dimension piece of scrap.

Jigs, always.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

That, or a huge poster of Racquel Welch in 10,000 B.C.

:hmmyes:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

here is a video of that noise. honestly it's not very loud at all, you have to turn up the volume all the way on this to hear it. it's immediately after the click

https://i.imgur.com/IitQvXr.mp4

It's possible one of the relays in the thermostat is failing in very particular way

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

There are about three people who know how to finish drywall properly west of the rockies.

When I did my guest house, I wanted walls that match the rest of the interior of the main house, which are plaster on rock lath, with a skip trowel finish-- a cousin to, but not quite knockdown. My GC found the only company in town who knew what plaster is, and rock lath not being a thing I just wanted blueboard with a finish coat and then the texture. Hoo boy did they barely meet bare minimum competency and it looks passable, mostly because it's a separate structure.

I'm in the midst of planning an addition where one of the rooms will have two old walls and two new ones and I'm dreading how the finishing will go.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Heat is also the enemy of LEDs, so by removing the diffuser and letting air circulate around the LED modules, it'll probably also extend the life of them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Kind of a niche question but I guess it won't hurt to ask:

Is there a way to "refinish" bakelite? I have some old cutlery I'd like to use sometimes but the black handles have gone gray over time, with some being still rather shiny black as originally but with very light gray splotches. (Picture below not mine.) Is there a way to make bakelite a) black and/or b) shiny again?

Comically was looking at an antique radio forum yesterday and ran across this recommendation for bakelite radios:

http://www.greygate.com/product/paste-polishing-no-5/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've got a 50s capehart that I sourced a complete set of new tubes for, and they sit in the box, in the rear of the cabinet where they have been for the last decade :negative:

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 7, 2024

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress yeah.

I know we've got the amateur radio thread but thats more ham operators and such.

Is there an Olde Tymey radio thread on the forums?
Even with all the weirdos here it seems like a thread that would have like 3 people posting in it.

(I don't know enough to start one if there ain't)

...ish

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

You could also set up an elaborate Rube Goldberg machine that ends with squeezing the trigger of a loaded handgun that is pointed at the vent.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

emocrat posted:

I think your approaching this wrong. You can do it all with no math, just layout.

I call this Tom Silva math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Outfeed stand or roller stand