Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
Hello,
I've met my max of failing at google for 4 hours, so I'm asking here. I want to build a loft for my kids in their play room. The dimensions are 13'6" across on one wall and 3'10" wide on two walls. I know I need to frame it with big pieces of wood screwed a lot to the studs and use joist hangars to put in joists between them. However, I don't know if I should run 3 long board joists or 10 short joists or why either is better. Also I don't know if I need to go full on 2x10's or skimp and use 2x6's for extra head-room. I'm also 90% sure I need at least one 4x4 post for support in the middle of the unsupported side, but I don't have any facts to back up this hunch. Are there any quick answers out there or no-nonsense links that would apply to my situation? I don't plan on having adults on the loft, but I assume there will be 200-250 lbs of kids up there at one point in time.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
I think this is what the both of you are asking for: https://imgur.com/a/uBRw2Jn

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
A few years ago after buying our house we noticed a small hole about 40 ft from our septic opening in our yard (about 15 feet from house). We filled it and thought nothing of it. A few days ago, a kid lost his shoe in a new hole 3 feet futher from the original hole running parallel to the house. I didn't find a lot of great info via Google & Youtube other than 'potentially huge problem with drainage field', so I started digging with a shovel.

The void was about 1 foot below surface, about 6 inches tall and maybe 1.5 foot diameter. My soil is very sandy, so I kept on digging. After about 2 more feet of digging (3.5 feet down) I hit concrete. There's a concrete "something" that's at least 1ft x 1ft x 1ft.

Then I dug in original 'pit' and after about 1 ft I hit large-ish rocks, so I stopped bothering to dig further.

Here's a picture of the holes together and specifically of the concrete "something".

https://imgur.com/8cp3pme
https://imgur.com/SW9rZxz

I'm fairly confused now. The house (and likely septic) is around 50 years old, so could there be concrete "pipes" for the drain field? Do I keep digging? Do I just cover it up with some rocks mixed with the original dirt to avoid the problem for a few more years? I'd like to avoid calling septic people who would sell me on them replacing my entire drainage field

Further context I can give is that it hasn't rained much where I live, but I did do like 10 loads of laundry in the last 4 days and it's been about 3 years since septic has been pumped.

Thanks in advance for any insights. I only post every few years and am quite confused on this one.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
I am fairly certain this is my drain field. I have a map of the where the two septic 'caps' are and I'm digging those out right now to put on risers. Going further away from my house we there's about 15 feet and then a 15 foot hill/dropoff. The holes are about 40 feet away and the tiny map suggests that my septic tanks end after about 10 feet.

That being said, I'll keep digging around the concrete thing while digging up the caps.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
Hello. Two hopefully small questions.

1 - I bought a house with shelves in the "workshop room". These shelves are installed against the studs but there's no drywall on that side of the room so there's a 3.5" gap between the shelf and the wall and things keep falling into the gap. Is there an easy way to shove something like cardboard in the gap so that things stop falling? Or should I get like thin wood and screw it into the shelf to cover the gap? I feel like the real way would be to unscrew the shelves and cut grooves for the studs and then re-screw but that feels like a full day I don't want to deal with.

Other drywall
---------------------------
| gap | gap | gap | <--- studs
--------------------------
| shelf ................|
|..........................|
|..........................|
---------------------------

2 - I am going to blow in insulation in my roof but understand I need baffles. I have four 20-foot lengths to baffle. That's like $400-$500 to get like 100 of those plastic things from home depot. Is there a simpler way or can I find a giant roll of landscape paper or something to just roll across the space? Or are those plastic things the way to go?

Thanks