Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Everyone remembers that Helghast cruiser that landed in the bay? The one I won't shut up about?

We're goin' in, bay-bee!

I just wanted to grab some stills here in the briefing to reiterate how much I appreciate the detail put into it. Proper cutscenes I can live without if cool flashy zooms and sweet throwaway intel are going to keep coming my way.

Also what the hell is going on with those power cables? They're all underwater, so how the gently caress did the Helghast get them plugged into their cruiser? Are they the original Vektan power lines? Or did they expel from the cruiser like the dog monster from John Carpenter's The Thing?

Ah well, whatever. We get our objectives from Benoit. That cruiser is sucking up energy from Diortem's power grid to affect repairs and also happen to be chock full of ISA weapons, including virus samples. Our task is to:
  • Place charges throughout the cruiser and scuttle the ship.
  • Download codes from its server so that the ISA may more easily blow up Helghast cruisers. (See the results of this objectives here).
Approving nod to the appropriate thumbnails:

Where the gently caress is Benoit getting this video? Directly from a Helghast mole? Bought intel from Blackjack? From ISA deep operatives?

Ah well, whatever.

Like the last mission, this is another example of the mercs sneaking in between gaps in the enemy lines. Lots of armour and firepower surrounding the downed cruiser, so no ISA troops can get in, but no one will notice a boat with an outboard motor cruise up alongside that bridge.

But I guess that really is one big blind spot that the Helghast don't have covered.

I wasn't going to try and have a go or mock the Helghast here nor was I gonna dunk on the ISA. Just want to point this out: Phantom Talon Corps has some good rear end intel. Anders Benoit is well informed. Really well informed. This guys is not someone to gently caress around with, so it's good we're on his side.

Anyways, not a lot goes on in the first chunk of the mission aside from running and gunning and sniper fights. The tutorial from the first mission is done and over with and we're not quite at the part where the plot has really kicked off. Relatively speaking, it's quiet. That said, Diortem at sunset is real pretty. This is a fantastic looking Vita game:

Some of the concept art for this section is real good. I'll post it in the Miscellaneous section of this post. Oh, and I appreciate the background details that really bring these first couple missions of the game together as a cohesive area. Like how for example, we find out in the small park area where we kill the first officer that we're in beautiful Diortem North - Quayside!

Or that the last mission's Hall of Justice looms quietly in the background:

Oh, and speaking of officers, I didn't note in the video, but the third one was in that catwalk area right before the server room and right next to an intel terminal. I wound up killing him so fast I almost forgot to point it out:

Anyways, we go and plant the hacking device on the terminal and defend it while it does its thing. Then we head towards the ship's core and join up with Ivanov. We spot the cargo bay along the way. Lots of boxes, some with biohazard symbols on them:

So yes, destroying this particular cruiser with be a Good ThingTM for the ISA as a whole. Don't the Helghast have enough WMDs? ("You can never have too many!" I'm sure Stahl would say).

To access the core we have to complete two hacking minigames while Ivanov does whatever he's doing to the core itself. You'll notice in the HUD that there's a convenient Blackjack box with each objective point:

Can I have an aside here fore a moment to just ask: How the gently caress did Blackjack get an ammo crate on the Helghast cruiser, let along many loving ammo crates? Last mission we bumped into some Helghast puzzling over it. I suppose someone might have grabbed it and taken it aboard, but it's strange that it was left at the entrance to that hole in the ship rather than moved to the storage bay... and that there were then several more scattered at regular intervals throughout the ship. Yes, yes, it's a video game, but these things are acknowledged in game and characters interact with them. Except while Danner has a hacking device to get into them, it seems the Helghast do not. So why decorate their cruiser with them? Something fishy is going on!!

Anyways, completing both hacks starts the ship's overload and causes and emergency failsafe to trap Ivanov who will now die. Sadly, he does not have a Dr. Manhattan-esque resurrection. Our buddy Ivanov is well and truly dead.

Sorry, CJacobs :smith:

And Danner drowns in the bay. The End! LP's over!

I suppose I have in me a word about the "new" enemy in this level, the Helghast Sniper. They behave the same as all those you've fought in the past. Though the nice thing about them in Mercenary is that they aren't equipped with cloaks unlike in previous games. For whatever reason, they've insisted on putting obnoxious laser sights on their rifles. This is a terrible idea for them, but good for you, 'cause you'll see them coming a mile away.

Oh, and Helghast Scientists briefly make an appearance in the cruiser. They are harmless. Treat them like civilians. I can't recall 100% if you lose cash or not if you kill them. I tend to leave them be regardless.

Nothing new about the gameplay this update. Nope. Just think' 'bout Vektan Dollars.

Yup, good ol'Vektan Dollars. Or VD as they like to call it. Nothing off about that acronym, nosiree.

Okay, not true, I have one gameplay thing to point out: HUD icons!

So the semi-circle with the field-of-view cone is Danner, obviously. Red arrows are Helghast on alert. (Orange arrows are Helghast that have yet to notice you!) White arrows are civilians--in this case, Helghast scientists.

The teal diamond is my objective. That's the server I need to attach a hacking module to. That yellow on the edge of the HUD? It's pointing to the nearest Blackjack ammo depot. The appear as Blackjack's smiley when within the HUD's radius.

The green arrow represents any ally with you. That's Ivanov, in this case. His arrow is hollow because he is on a different elevation than I am--this shows up for enemy arrows as well. That green dot? That's the active JMR.

That concludes your Killzone: Mercenary HUD explanation!

The Autarch's Command

"So Kratek flew back to the nest already, and he did not go empty handed. Trust me, Visari has plans for this one. Big, bad plans.
—Blackjack

This one's found real early in the level, right after to do that first building-to-building sniper fight. Go into the hotel where all the snipers were... behind the front reception desk, you'll see the terminal. Here we find Kratek has bought himself a reprieve from failing to kill Admiral Grey. Visari has word that Templar and co. are starting to wreck Metrac's day, so he's looking for back-up plans--lucky for him, Kratek has Grey's virus.

quote:

ORDERS TO COLONEL VYKTOR KRATEK

HIS EMINENCE SCOLAR VISARI,

AUTARCH OF HELGHAN

Colonel Kratek,

I was gratified to learn of your safe withdrawal from the command center at Diortem - even if the circumstances surrounding it were disappointing.

That the ISA resorted to mercenaries for the rescue of their commander only reflect the desperation and moral depravity we expect of our enemy. But they should NOT have been allowed to succeed.

Still, I'm prepared to overlook this failure - you have a far greater prize in your possession after all. You must return with it AT ONCE to Helghan.

The facility has been built to the specifications you requested, and the best scientific minds on Helghan await to do their patriotic duty. Their work should begin without delay. All the resources of the state will be placed at your disposal.

Metrac had assured me we were unleashing a whirlwind in Southern Vekta. Too soon it appears it may have blown itself out. If this is so, the prize you carry could be vital not just to the future of the war, but of our people.

For Helghan!

—Visari

Cruiser Status Report

"Hmm... the Higs really want to get that cruiser airborne again. Is big ship after all. But you ask me, they're more interested in the cargo."
—Blackjack

That officer I interrogated unbeknownst to his buddies in that park courtyard? This is the report you get from him. Nothing we don't find out by the end of the mission: They've stockpiled ISA weapons onboard the cruiser. They're highly volatile so when we detonate the thing I guess it goes boom more :shrug:

quote:

Cruiser AC-15 STATUS REPORT

Lieutant Orbeck, First Officer

The cruiser's systems currently stand at 67% operational capacity. This is not yet adequate to become airborne.

The main problem remains damage to the cruiser's electrical systems, sustained during crash landings. To overcome this, power is being tapped from the city's main grid using mobile transformers. This will help expedite repair work and can be used to jump start our engines for takeoff once all systems are air worthy.

Until then we remain vulnerable. Shielding has had to be removed to repair electrical systems, exposing the munitions magazines. The main reactor is being kept at launch readiness, making it dangerously volatile. The ISA armaments loaded into the cargo bay are highly combustible.

Though defenses surrounding the cruiser make an enemy assault unlikely, we are at risk so long as we remain on the ground. Engineering crews should complete their work with the utmost urgency.

—Lieutenant Orbeck, First Officer,

HGH AC-15

Brief #PU49N

"Excellent, Danner. Now we know how and where the encryption codes are used. I may even tell the ISA... for a price."
—Blackjack

That other officer? The one in that chest-high cover area you get to as soon as you enter the cruiser? The one I complained about being a pain in the butt to get? This is that report. As for the report, I guess this is just further tying this mission into the opening cutscene of Killzone 2. Given all the connections mercenaries will eventually make, good lord, it's crazy to think the ISA could ever get anything done themselves.

quote:

TOP SECRET - SEVEREST PENALTIES FOR DISCLOSURE

M20S COMMS ENCRYPTION CODES
SPECIFICATION

The M20S Encryption Codes are a suite of algorithms used to encrypt transmissions between Helghast command vessels and key ground installations throughout the star system.

The codes reside on standardized (XN52) comms servers and are transparent to the user when sending and receiving transmissions. Updates are automatically distributed throughout the network and downloaded to individual servers.

The self-adapting nature of the codes ensures that even if a given comms signal is cracked, the algorithm is changed so that future communications remain secure. The only way for a hostile to effectively access all communications is to obtain the codes.

DEPLOYMENT
M-Series encryption technology was initially developed for transmissions between cargo vessels in Helghast territorial space, to protect trade with the unaligned colonies from ISA interference. It was later extended to moon bases and trade stations.

Imperial Edict #546 appropriated the technology for use exclusively by the military, primarily the Imperial Fleet. All Assault Class Cruisers carry the codes. Key ground-based installations recognize the protocols, including High Command, Military Intelligence and front line command
centers.

M20S Encryption is not used for low level comms and field operations, to limit the security risk from exposure of the codes.

Report #VR76M

"It seems your friend lvanov caught the attention of the Higs. But yours is not business in which it pays to advertise. Be careful, Danner."
—Blackjack

This report comes from that terminal in that small catwalk area right before we reach the room with scientists where we download the cruiser's codes. That it's a report on Ivanov's background is interesting. There's a couple of these throughout the game, fleshing out some background details for each character. We only seem to get them when a character's "time is up" so to speak, so once you've found one you can safely assume that character will leave the narrative one way or another. PYF thing in games: I like that they're presented as intel gathered by the ISA or Helghast, so that despite all their ineptitudes and bone-headed decisions, you can still say their spies are doing their jobs.

quote:

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE REPORT - #VR76M DAMIAN IVANOV

Contractor: Phantom Talon Corp. (ref. #GR65D)

Native of Vekta. Former UCN Army. Assessed as highly experienced, strong-willed, courageous. Committed to Vektan cause despite mercenary status. Considered highly dangerous.

Early life obscure. State educated, parents most likely poor. Academic record undistinguished. Absence of on-going contact suggests some friction with siblings and/or father (and makes any leverage of family so far impossible).

Enlisted with UCN Army straight from school. Promoted to Sergeant within a year. Assigned to patrol duty in AcA cluster, protecting UCN satellite facilities from Helghast sabotage.

Subsequently distinguised himself in various colonial campaigns, including the unrest in Delta Pavonis, where he again engaged Helghast forces. Awarded commendation for Gallantry in Combat.

Wounded in action at Procyon, 2350, where many of his unit lost their lives. Recovered from his injuries but recieved official reprimand following public criticism of ISA High Command for 'appeasment' of the Helghast. Resigned from UCN Army later that year.

Subject accepted contract as a mercenary with Phantom Talon Corp leading to long-standing association with some of its operatives. One of these, Arran Danner, fought alongside him in the Gyre Skirmishes and on covert operations across the Alpha Centauri System (2351 - 56) and is believed to be in Southern Vekta at the present time.

Satellite and other evidence suggest that the subject was responsible for extracting regional ISA commander Admiral Alex Grey from the Helghast center of operations in the city. As of October 2357 he has been placed on the Most Wanted list of enemy operatives.

From High Command

"Ah, these Helghast -- crazy guys never give up! Which is ve-ry good for business... not so good for the health. "
—Blackjack

Right after you get the last piece of intel, there's another officer wandering around the download room. Best to tranq and interrogate him before starting the hack--he's liable to be shot in the crossfire. This here is to further cement the game within Killzone: Liberation's timeline. No mention of Stratson, so it's not clear to me Mercenary is taking place between Liberation's Chapter 4 and 5, or if it's shortly after the game ends. Regardless, it alludes to all their sweet new tech. As we know, Metrac and Cobar secured the Red Dust nuke that would be dropped on Pyrrhus at the climax of Killzone 2 and Grey's virus will eventually make its way to Shadow Fall.

I appreciate how the spin every little thing to make the ISA come out as poorly as possible. Some good propaganda here. As we know from Liberation, it wasn't precisely that the ISA just shot Cobar in the back. It was General Stratson, the ISA traitor, who shot Cobar (his ally) in order to maintain his cover just a little bit longer.

quote:

TO ALL SENIOR COMMANDERS, VEKTA
FROM HELGHAST HIGH COMMAND,
PYRRHUS

We regret to report that the death of General Armin Metrac, commander of our forces on Vekta, has now been confirmed. The General was interrogating prisoners taken from Rayhoven at his base in the mountains of Redavni Plains, when it came under ISA attack. The circumstances of his death remain unclear, but a body was recovered from the scene and identified from DNA records as that of the General.

This is clearly a bitter blow, following so closely the loss of the General's second-in-command, Colonel Cobar, in the Reag swamplands. Post mortem has confirmed that the Colonel was shot in the back: no death for a Helghast warrior, but no less than we expect from our treacherous and cowardly enemy.

Despite these losses, the ISA failed to retrieve the weapons General Metrac took from their facility at Rayhoven. Together with the technology seized by Colonel Kratek in Diortem, we remain well placed to deal with any ISA threat, present or future.

We trust that morale among our forces remains high, their dedication to the emperor and our cause unwavering. To ensure this, news of the General's death and the defeat of his forces should be withheld from the rank and file until further notice.

The Emperor is assured that we will overcome these minor setbacks and rout the enemy in the South. He waits for his officers to deliver a famous victory.

For Helghan!

— Chief of Staff, Helghast High Command

AC-15 Cargo Inventory

"The HeIghast, they have unhealthy interest in WMDs. I'm all for carrying big stick, but that emperor of theirs is just crazy enough to use this poo poo."
—Blackjack

Last bit of intel. In the storage bay where you link back up with Ivanov and he comments on the stockpile, there's a terminal to the right of the exit. It's just a list of weapons and virus samples collected onboard. We get

quote:

CARGO INVENTORY FOR CRUISER AC-15

QUARTERMASTER,

DIORTEM COMMAND CENTER

I have been directed by Colonel Kratek to prepare the following materials for immediate transportation to Helghan.

Unless otherwise directed, all materials are for delivery direct to the State R&D Dept in Pyrrhus.

Conventional Ordinance Retrieved from the Combat Zone

- 1200 units containing 15,000 items including assault rifles, SMGs and shotguns.

-A further 450 units containing high explosives, including grenades, grenade and rocket launchers, and proximity charges.

Note that Non-Nuclear Materials materials recovered from Rayhoven are included for shipping at the request of General Metrac.

MATERIALS SEIZED FROM THE ISA RESEARCH FACILITY IN DIORTEM

- 10 cases of experimental and prototype weaponry, including Orbital Particle Beam technology, energy shield emitter, portable homing missile system, and spy drones.

-17 items containing biohazard material (viral samples). These are marked Project Eschaton and require Secure Containment. Accompanying research documentation is ready for encrypted transfer to the cruiser's data servers.

- Note that items marked "Project Eschaton" are for transport to Colonel Kratek's secure facility. Colonel Kratek is carrying some biomaterials in person and is already in transit to Helghan.

—Halls of Justice, Diortem

STA-14 Rifle

Cost: 5200V

Ideal for mid to long-range encounters due to optical sight and high damage output. The semi-automatic function limits its fire rate.

T-this gun is back?! Did anyone ask for this? I've never been the biggest fan of it. I used it once when I found it in Killzone 2 then never touched it again. And yet here it is.

All that aside, I'm happy to say that, Mercenary being the best of the Killzones, they've found a way to make this gun feel viable and fun to use. It has more oomph to it. Feels satisfying to fire. Regardless, the Helghast rifle still feels inferior to most other guns. I would readily pick just about every other weapon before picking this one. The ISA Assault Rifle still makes a better primary in basically every regard. The fact that the STA-14 has a slightly higher damage output doesn't matter, because the M82 can match it by being able to fire more bullets. Ah, well. I appreciate that it's here because the diversity in weapons is one of this game's strong suits.

M327 Grenade Launcher

Cost: 4300V

Fires frag grenades in an arch trajectory. Ideal for attacking entrenched positions and enemies at awkward elevations.

The classic Killzone grenade launcher. About as effective as it ever was in that it's not really that great. I mean, It's fine. It does what it says on the packaging. I just don't find it all that fun to use. The times when it could be useful are so few and far between that I find standard grenades more than cover for it, not to mention all the awesome secret agent VAN-Guard gear that makes this gun look like a toy.

Sorry, grenade launcher. I hardly knew ye.

VC32Sniper Rifle

Cost: 6100V

A low fire rate and significant recoil are offset by consistent one-hit-kills

Now this is what I'm talking about. The Helghast sniper rifle is a proper well and good gun. I'd much rather be lugging this around in a sniper fight than the silenced equivalent. It's semi-automatic and has a low clip size, but this thing is brutally powerful. Makes sniper fights much shorter. Only drawback is that it's not silenced. Of course, when the alarms are blaring and enemies are rushing at you, I'd rather have the one-hit-kill machine at my side. For the cost, this gun is a steal.

It's strange to think back on Killzone 1 and how terrible this gun's original iteration was. Now here I am, singing its praises.

LS13 Shotgun

Cost: 4500V

A powerful shotgun with excellent damage out to mid-range, tempered by a low fire rate. Can be reloaded shell-by-shell.

The standard ISA shotgun makes it's triumphant return--and I mean that in that FOR ONCE it's a viable weapon. If you've been following this LP series up to this point, you'll know that I'm not a big fan of this weapon. It sucked in the first game, it sucked in the second game, and it was only okay in the third game. It was great in Liberation, but I'm not counting the top-down shooter here. For the FPS Killzones, we finally have a solid shotgun. It's nothing special. It's just your bog-standard shotgun. But for once, it works.

Note: I mix up manufacturers of this weapon in the audio commentary. I erroneously attribute the Helghast with creating this one. Naw, it's ISA. Which means the chemical bullet war crime gun from Liberation is ISA-made too.

LS18 Shredder Shotgun

Cost: 6000V

Full auto action with armor peircing rounds make this ideal for dealing with multiple enemies at close ranges.

The Shotgun King.

This is probably my favourite secondary. My most lethal load-out involves the ISA Assault Rifle as my primary and this as my secondary (with the Porcupine VAN-Guard). Fully automatic, but it comes with a clip for faster reloads. You need to be careful with the auto fire; you can drain this gun deceptively fast. Despite being armour piercing, it is important to be somewhat more selective with your shots. This gun's damage output is actually LESS than either the standard shotgun or the shotgun pistol. Upper chest and head is where you want to aim--and as a shotgun, you don't have to aim too hard. The rapid fire works best when you are surprised by a small group of enemies and need to clear a path immediately, but otherwise I really need to stress that you take your time with shots. Fun gun. I like it.

STA-12 Inferno Shotgun

Cost: 9100V

Specialist shotgun that when accurately fired can ignite enemies. Small magazine capacity results in frequent reloads and low levels of reserve ammo.

Ahh, the war crimes gun. Here it is. You were wondering where it was, weren't you? The Helghast must have read that info blurb from the Killzone: Liberation manual about the ISA shotgun having corrosive chemical pellets and thought "Pfft, amateurs"! If you like hearing your enemies scream in agony before dying, this is the gun for you, you monster. Surprisingly effective, given the low fire rate and low ammo capacity. A single round is effectively a one-hit kill, though. The enemy will start to burn and dance around and, if you're lucky, ignite and distract other nearby enemies. Don't get too close, though, as you can ignite yourself. Also, as tempted as you may be to go in for a mercy kill, stabbing enemies that are on fire will still ignite you.

That said, this gun doesn't kill as quickly as other weapons. Burning enemies become hazards in the field and the low ammo count means you'll have to restock with Blackjack frequently. As I mention in the video, this gun is mostly a gimmick imo.

Porcupine

Cost: 15000V

Shoulder mounted homing missile systme. Lock on, fire, and forget.

Probably the single most useful VAN-Guard in the game, bar none. The Porcupine loving rules and should be the first VAN-Guard you buy because it, more than any other piece of tech, will make you a more effective killing machine. It's basically Tony Stark's shoulder-mounted Iron Man missile launcher. Once activated, the Porcupine will automatically target enemies in your line of sight. When it has acquired a target, you can fire and the missile will home in for the kill. There's no reload time, so once the Porcupine has been switched on you can keep spamming missles at a target until there are none left. Great for taking down anything. Seriously, anything. Drones go down with a single shot, it clears out individual and massed infantry with ease, and large armoured targets can be missile spammed to death.

If you're a cautious player, it can definitely make the game too easy. However, if you want to play as some sort of cavalier whirlwind of death running into the middle of a battlefield and murdering everything, then this is the gear for you. Super versatile. Most situations can be solved through application of this weapon.

Oh, it's also the only VAN-Guard tech that isn't battery powered, so as long as you have ammo, it remains active--though it's best to use it up in an engagement and start killing ASAP so you can reactivate it fully stocked for next the next encounter.

X3-JMR

Costs 7500V.

Deployable electronics jammer. Disables the enemy's comms and equipment, preventing them from calling for support.

It's a jamming device! Shuts down enemy comms and equipment. Temporarily, of course. In gameplay terms, it actually does quite bit. It can reveal cloaked enemies, prevent them from calling for back-up and spawning reinforcements, and can disable land mines. It can also shut down drones in multiplayer and prevent others from using their own VAN-Guard devices. Unlike many of the VAN-Guard techs, this one is common enough that it's in production and you'll see it used by both the Helghast and ISA. Of note, once ported in it's an actual target on the battlefield. If an enemy can find your JMR, they can blow it up. Of course, you can do the same. Enemy JMRs stay active until destroyed--ours don't. I guess Blackjack couldn't afford to give us proper batteries, but what's new?

Y'all ready for some background furniture design in Vekta? Check it:

I like to imagine Danner puts his refuse in its appropriate receptacle.

Here's more of Diortem North - Quayside:

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(thank you for saving me from 4 updates on a single page, crow--yer doing the lord's work!)

code:
Sally: Yer fond of me Killzone aint’ ye? I seen it -- yer fond of me Killzone! Say it! Say it. Say it!

nine-gear crow: I don’t have to say nothin’.

Sally: drat ye! Let Rico strike ye dead crow! 

HAAARK!

Hark Templar, hark! Bellow, bid our father the Rico Velasquez rise from the ashes full foul in his fury! 
Black smoke teeming with gunpowder to smother this young mouth with war crimes, to choke ye, destroying your organs 
til’ ye turn green and rotten with petrusite and radiation and can scream no more -- only when he, crowned in bullet shells 
with a rocket launcher minigun and steaming beard take up his fell arm, his pissed off cursing banshee-like in the battlefield
and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye--a bulging bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for 
the Helghast and the souls of dead ISA to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite 
bio-logical weapons of the Morally Grey Admiral herself--forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, 
forgotten even to the Killzone, for any stuff for part of crow, even any scantling of your soul is crow no more, but is now 
itself the Killzone!

nine-gear crow: Alright, have it your way. I like your Killzone.

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 24, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RIP In Peace Damian Ivanov, 2013-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siz-xBfIqpg

The grenade launcher is great, just because it's the one explosive weapon with an actual magazine. You still pretty much have to have the Supply armor that gives you extra ammo capacity.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Should have seen that death-flag when Ivanov was musing about doing that job for free. :smith:
I hope Danner gets him some high school or reformatory with Ivanov's name on it for Vekta's gun-crazy, badly-tattooed youth.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Just let crow look at the LP lantern Sally.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'll get his name tattooed on his arm in a metal-band style that's really hard to read.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ivanov will live on forever in our memories, immortalized by CJacobs' woe.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am getting pumped. I've finished audio for mission 3 and am editing it for the video. Will be exporting and should have an update up in the next day or so. Super loving pumped. This next update will be the furthest through the LP I've made it in for loving ever. (The prologue and first mission have been up for a long time and mission two has been available on YouTube for months now).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

quote:

nine-gear crow: Alright, have it your way. I like your Killzone.

:same:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sally posted:

I am getting pumped. I've finished audio for mission 3 and am editing it for the video. Will be exporting and should have an update up in the next day or so. Super loving pumped. This next update will be the furthest through the LP I've made it in for loving ever. (The prologue and first mission have been up for a long time and mission two has been available on YouTube for months now).

The curse is broken.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao okay so funny story... and it does indeed start wtih me saying "there's been some delays" but that's because there's been an interesting development...

we solved the recording issues that have prevented group commentary. where there's a will there's a way!

but i guess i'll pose this question: should we go back to the old thread? can i just go full steam ahead with group commentary (myself cjakes and crow) or do people want solo commentary options too?

regardless i am editing the new group audio. third update is forthcoming once again...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Force merge the threads. If it can't be done petition Jeffrey to make it possible.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will the group do commentary on Shadowfall too?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"the curse has been broken"

*days of silence*

:v:

Sally posted:

we solved the recording issues that have prevented group commentary. where there's a will there's a way!

i have to ask, is it getting one of those 5G hotspots for you to take out to your shed or barn or whatever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Will the group do commentary on Shadowfall too?

Shadow Fall is going to be a different matter entirely. It's looking like the earliest we can resume commentary on it is in January at the moment. The good news is we've got over half the game recorded, so once I get the all clear that we're good to go, I'm going to really push to get the rest of it finished just to be done with it.

If we want to migrate back to the original Shadow Fall thread for the rest of this experiment, then I'm not going to complain.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goatface posted:

Force merge the threads. If it can't be done petition Jeffrey to make it possible.

hmm i will look into that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like Mergenary

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

i have to ask, is it getting one of those 5G hotspots for you to take out to your shed or barn or whatever

crow you wanna do the honours in posting that audio clip teaser? or should we hold off for the next update?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sally posted:

lmao okay so funny story... and it does indeed start wtih me saying "there's been some delays" but that's because there's been an interesting development...

but i guess i'll pose this question: should we go back to the old thread? can i just go full steam ahead with group commentary (myself cjakes and crow) or do people want solo commentary options too?

regardless i am editing the new group audio. third update is forthcoming once again...

:f5:

nine-gear crow posted:

Shadow Fall is going to be a different matter entirely. It's looking like the earliest we can resume commentary on it is in January at the moment. The good news is we've got over half the game recorded, so once I get the all clear that we're good to go, I'm going to really push to get the rest of it finished just to be done with it.

If we want to migrate back to the original Shadow Fall thread for the rest of this experiment, then I'm not going to complain.

:f5:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don't even own a ps4 and I bought shadow fall to see the plot because there is no way I'm going to miss whatever war crimes come next after those first few missions

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

crow you wanna do the honours in posting that audio clip teaser? or should we hold off for the next update?

gonna beat crow to the punch on this one... this is part teaser, part proof of concept. should have all the audio edited by tomorrow and will try to have video rendered and uploaded shortly thereafter.

starbucks hermit posted:

I don't even own a ps4 and I bought shadow fall to see the plot because there is no way I'm going to miss whatever war crimes come next after those first few missions

PS5 is backwards compatible :getin: you could get a new console just to play W A R C R I M E S

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Look on the bright side, we get a bigger paycheck because Carell ate poo poo" - Nine Gear Crow, 2359

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sally posted:

gonna beat crow to the punch on this one... this is part teaser, part proof of concept. should have all the audio edited by tomorrow and will try to have video rendered and uploaded shortly thereafter.

:smith: carrell........

also, 'tis the season to watch cjacobs eat more Helghast rations

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

PS5 is backwards compatible :getin: you could get a new console just to play W A R C R I M E S

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should use that in the advertising material. PS5 backward compatibility: letting you revisit all your favourite warcrimes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might attract Nazis though. Will have to be carefully used.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goatface posted:

Might attract Nazis though. Will have to be carefully used.

The unfortunate side effect of things becoming popular these days tends to be Nazis flooding into its fandom space, setting up camp and then being as loudly faschy as they can to try and claim it as theirs.

For example: the most popular video on my YouTube channel is the intro to Killzone: Liberation because some dingus found it and posted it on /pol and all the Nazis on /pol went and watched it because the video is nothing but Space Nazi propaganda video, and then follow-on viewership for the rest of the LP drops like a stone because they went and checked out the rest of the LP and found out that it was a game about kicking the poo poo out of Space Nazis featuring commentary from two woke Canadians mocking the poo poo out of said Space Nazis.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The unfortunate side effect of things becoming popular these days tends to be Nazis flooding into its fandom space, setting up camp and then being as loudly faschy as they can to try and claim it as theirs.

For example: the most popular video on my YouTube channel is the intro to Killzone: Liberation because some dingus found it and posted it on /pol and all the Nazis on /pol went and watched it because the video is nothing but Space Nazi propaganda video, and then follow-on viewership for the rest of the LP drops like a stone because they went and checked out the rest of the LP and found out that it was a game about kicking the poo poo out of Space Nazis featuring commentary from two woke Canadians mocking the poo poo out of said Space Nazis.

This is possibly more hilarious than Nazis getting really upset about The New Colossus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

This is possibly more hilarious than Nazis getting really upset about The New Colossus.

I actually get that a lot with several of the games I LP. Ace Combat, for example, attracts a lot of pro-military nationalist chuds and they all melt in horror like they just beheld the Loc-Nar from Heavy Metal when they find out the dude running the show is a hyper leftist who goes "lol this dumb military poo poo, I'm just here for the melodrama, gently caress Donald Trump".

It's loving great.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

I actually get that a lot with several of the games I LP. Ace Combat, for example, attracts a lot of pro-military nationalist chuds and they all melt in horror like they just beheld the Loc-Nar from Heavy Metal when they find out the dude running the show is a hyper leftist who goes "lol this dumb military poo poo, I'm just here for the melodrama, gently caress Donald Trump".

It's loving great.

They legitimately think only fellow right wingers like the military, so much so that one of the recurring "proofs" of voter fraud is that some military ballots voted for Biden.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
IT LIVES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02xPpN_rjCk

there's a post to go with it an i'm about 80% of the way though. but considering all the delays I just wanna push the vid out so you can all enjoy what we went through. so here it is... finally! Chapter 3 of Killzone: Merc!

for fun: prizes for whoever can a) figure out how we solved our recording issues, and b) know what the hell deep cut sally-crow-cjakes LP lore crow is referencing with his "poem".

EDIT: HD versions of the vid are still processing...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

please... i'd take it out into the middle of the woods if anything

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the audio levels could be a bit tweaked for next time. You do get sorta drowned out at times.

Also interesting... poetry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
anything in particular stick out? i could audio another pass. it was a challenging edit this one. if crow and cjakes are drowning me out then that's defintely a feature and not a bug (just based on how we did the commentary was recorded). if it's the game audio drowning me out then i missed something and i can remix it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No it was more Crow and cakes drowning you out in this case than the game audio. Some of it did sorta come off as indistinct mumbling at times. The game audio was barley even there for the most part anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RIP Sebastian Alexander Constantinius Michelangelo St. John "Hot Lips" Carrell, 2020-2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sally posted:

(just based on how we did the commentary was recorded).

crow recording you on a discord call????

we need to know eventually, Sally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will say this is one of the most unique videos I've ever been a part of and it is an honor going down with this ship with you, gentlemen. I am so sorry I said that about That Other Benoit and it's now preserved forever online

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A phonecall with the phone taped to your forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

starbucks hermit posted:

:smith: carrell........

also, 'tis the season to watch cjacobs eat more Helghast rations

look forward to more killing zone shadow's fall adventures by cjacobs starring noteworthy timeless protagonist Aaron Dinner