Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Kim Justice posted:

The only good True Crime is Streets of LA. And NYC probably, didn't play that one

True Crime NY is the only game I know of that the Dolphin devs have had to tell people to stop reporting game crashing bugs for, because they're hardware accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The reason is because the creator was one of those true crime guys and extremely obsessed with her disappearance. So the sensible thing was to turn her into his video game waifu.

that'd make more sense but instead it's like. he seemed to be aware that that time in his life was really bad and unhealthy and wanted to represent that.... and then turned her into a disposable video game character that alex yiik uses for personal growth anyway somehow?? yiik is fascinatingly bad at doing what it wants to do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zedd posted:

You know how they say every time somebody mentions Deux Ex, somebody ends up reinstalling it?
Well that is me with Sleeping Dogs currently; solved my "what to play next".

For what it's worth I don't think I've ever disliked an enemy in a game as much as I do Dog Eyes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

that'd make more sense but instead it's like. he seemed to be aware that that time in his life was really bad and unhealthy and wanted to represent that.... and then turned her into a disposable video game character that alex yiik uses for personal growth anyway somehow?? yiik is fascinatingly bad at doing what it wants to do.

It’s supposed to be a metanarrative about how all these weirdos are self obsessed assholes and the world doesn’t revolve around them, except the main character is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and the whole world does, in fact, cosmically revolve around him and yes his creepy suicide waifu was actually trying to send him a super important message by getting him involved in weirdo stalker internet poo poo.

YIIK sucks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pandaaaaaaaaaaaa

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ablative posted:

True Crime NY is the only game I know of that the Dolphin devs have had to tell people to stop reporting game crashing bugs for, because they're hardware accurate

All I remember about it was running around in dense fog while enemies run at you out of boxes with doors on them and you have to beat them with a handheld taser.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

demo reels has doug walker's character obsessed with Elizabeth Hartman an actress who committed suicide it could have worked but doug is so offputting it makes demo reels even worse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

yeah but you see alex yiik is a bad guy doing a bad thing because he's the author doing the thing he's doing but also he's you engaging in it because the author is an idiot.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Kiss Rory

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

of course it all goes without saying that the huge YIIK I.V. patch/brand new game is going to fix every single problem, and everyone is going to love it. get hype.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

yeah but you see alex yiik is a bad guy doing a bad thing because he's the author doing the thing he's doing but also he's you engaging in it because the author is an idiot.

common misconception, Alex is not the author, Alex is the player, and Alex is a piece of poo poo who ruins everyone's lives and destroys the world for his own personal satisfaction as a metacommentary about how the player interacts with the world of a video game

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
There is absolutely a teenage fanbase of YIIK superfans ready to pounce on naysayers on twitter/tumblr, I guarantee it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Yiik is like the Undertale equivalent of those lovely knockoff games that try to ape the success of a more successful franchise. Except instead of stamina bars or tinting everything brown or literally just copying the entirety of Resident Evil 4's mechanics, its trying to pass itself off as an emotional heartfelt tale mixed with moments of wacky brevity. Which would be fine if it had a legitimately well-written story or anything meaningful to say about its subject matter, but to say Yiik is a bit, uh, lacking in that department would be a massive understatement.

Its like the author just flailed around for anything that would give his product a thin-enough veneer of sincerity to make it resemble a legit Earthbound-like in the hopes that it would make him a ton of cash. That's not even getting into the gameplay which holy poo poo that is a whole other can of worms.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

authors actually, yiik is made and written by brothers. ive always thought theyre very fine devs and amazing modelers--the right director or writer for them could make all the difference. though i cannot believe all these years theyve been trying to fiix the loving thing instead of making something else: poo poo's tainted goods

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ghostlight posted:

:sweep:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
more like yuck

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I don't know what kind of game Yiik actually is, but when I was bouncing around looking for a Place To Post, trying out a bunch of different communities, I was on GOG Forums around its release. I think a rule change or a purge or something(???) happened on the highest profile posters with Internet Poisoning since then, but GOG Forums was quite an astonishing place in 2019.

It was apparent to me at the time that Yiik riled up a certain segment of the posters for truly and utterly incomprehensible online reasons.

Google tells me that Yiik has a 1.9/5 there. You do not have to own a game to post a review.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Gertrude Perkins posted:

There is absolutely a teenage fanbase of YIIK superfans ready to pounce on naysayers on twitter/tumblr, I guarantee it.

You're actually not far off. Just add in a couple of guys in their mid-twenties who are friends with the devs.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Archer666 posted:

Try To Kiss Rory

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Yiik is one of those games where I just need to get stupidly drunk one night and play it for the laughs.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Yiik is one of those games where I just need to get stupidly drunk one night and play it for the laughs.

Personally? I shan't play it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

except the combat is so insanely bad it actually requires you to be sober to play it

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Inebriation% self imposed challenge.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

cumpantry posted:

authors actually, yiik is made and written by brothers. ive always thought theyre very fine devs and amazing modelers--the right director or writer for them could make all the difference. though i cannot believe all these years theyve been trying to fiix the loving thing instead of making something else: poo poo's tainted goods

a friend streamed the demo for the new stuff that got put out a bit ago and its so weird. i have no idea what to make of it. the visuals are like genuinely really good in a lot of spots now, and i think it's clear they know the criticism people had... but i cant tell if theyre responding to it or lashing out at it. like. all the alex monologues were still there, but now they had high effort cutscenes where he's like MCing at some imaginary standup comedy club and every one has unique animations and stuff. i cant say it doesnt make them more bearable but also lmao how did you stick to these guns. whole thing felt like a trauma response to the dragging they got and it's impossible to tell the sincerity of any of it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

except the combat is so insanely bad it actually requires you to be sober to play it

The combat in that new update is a huge improvement honestly (if you think of the combat as a weird game of DuelMasters), but in true YIIK fashion the tutorial is really bad at demonstrating the mechanics. Like that you have card shields that have to break first before a character can start taking damage; but after you're told to a basic attack you see a card tearing animation implying you've broken a shield, but when you ready another attack, the enemy still has all of its shields. Also when they introduce the bleed mechanic, Alex continuously loses health and you can die from being a slow reader. (You are suppose to lose, but it's odd they did it that way) The tutorial also features a music track that, imho, is a poor match for something that you need to focus on to learn the game.

Honestly this whole IV thing seems like something only fans of YIIK would like. Like the Prologue doesn't make any sense to someone whose has never touched the game before.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 19, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
YIIK reminds me of a terrible webcomic. Maybe it’s technically well put together in some way, maybe there’s some OK ideas, maybe the art is pretty competent! And it’s forever cursed to only get perpetually worse because it’s the author’s precious sweet perfect misunderstood child and if only he puts more time and effort into it, the awful poo poo that is its entire basis will just magically stop being garbage.

If you’re gonna put this much effort into it, just make a different game! gently caress!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I still think about what kind of person you have to be to think this photo is an okay thing to do. There's so many steps you have to get through to get this sort of photo, you know? This is a promotional shoot, they had to spend the time and money and effort to get it set up, and then they had to put it online, and like... at no point during any of the times they looked at it or thought about it did they go "hey... hey isn't this kinda tasteless? Doesn't this look really bad for us?"
True Crime stuff has always been around and it has always been voyeuristic and sensationalist, but I remember it feeling somber and grim. Dudes walking out of grey backgrounds, cold blues and muted colors, "this content may be unsuitable for all audiences..." Even Cops, with its jingle and obvious appeal of watching people at their lowest moment, had a black color scheme and the jingle was about 'bad boys,' not murderers.

I just don't get it man. I don't get how you get here.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
At some point True Crime became a thing For Girls and that had catastrophic effects for its presentation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apparently their show is about watching bad true crime docs or whatever but that image does not remotely convey that which makes them look like deranged narcissists

(Which they are)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

Apparently their show is about watching bad true crime docs or whatever but that image does not remotely convey that which makes them look like deranged narcissists

(Which they are)

What horrors hath Truman Capote wroth? :gonk:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dewgy posted:

It’s supposed to be a metanarrative about how all these weirdos are self obsessed assholes and the world doesn’t revolve around them, except the main character is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and the whole world does, in fact, cosmically revolve around him and yes his creepy suicide waifu was actually trying to send him a super important message by getting him involved in weirdo stalker internet poo poo.

YIIK sucks.

There's also like an entire chapter of the game where the creator is just whining about how badly his last game did

mycot posted:

At some point True Crime became a thing For Girls and that had catastrophic effects for its presentation

That weird period of time where people would call you misogynistic for not liking podcasts about rich people ghoulishly talking with glee about horrible murders and rapes like it was a spectator sport was funny as hell, in retrospect.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
anyway here's a video on water towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTHvHWxfmE

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dewgy posted:

If you’re gonna put this much effort into it, just make a different game! gently caress!

The greatest cosmic joke of all of this is that they did make a different game once, which they swore they were going to put this level of polish and work into, and instead it's fallen off of storefronts into a form where it doesn't even work for the people who do own it anymore, while YIIK grows larger and larger in the creator's brains

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i too am a deranged narcissist

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am misogynistic and I love crime.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kim Justice posted:

The only good True Crime is Streets of LA. And NYC probably, didn't play that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmzKWW02Nw8

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i used to have a fascination with serial killers when i was younger but lost interest because i concluded serial killers aren't masterminds they're stupid the cops are just stupider or dont care because the serial killer is killing sex workers and gay people

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it was a youtube video that highlighted it but it was wild to me there are true crime fan conventions. like i'm sure it's just a larger scale podcast fan meet-and-greet events but i cannot imagine hanging out in a hotel to talk about how cool this horrific murder was. it's like that one guy in the sandman comic who was a serial killer weeaboo who attended a serial killer convention, so they did the pbf weeaboo comic thing on him, except with sharp objects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it was a youtube video that highlighted it but it was wild to me there are true crime fan conventions. like i'm sure it's just a larger scale podcast fan meet-and-greet events but i cannot imagine hanging out in a hotel to talk about how cool this horrific murder was. it's like that one guy in the sandman comic who was a serial killer weeaboo who attended a serial killer convention, so they did the pbf weeaboo comic thing on him, except with sharp objects

started reading this post and thought this sounded like the cereal convention and read the part where you compared it to sandman's cereal convention gently caress you!