Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not one to believe in cosmic irony or whatever but I do still think that going to a serial killer podcast irl meetup is tempting fate a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That over-emotional Dubliner on fake videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GnM5xD1k4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL4-E53Ed58

I just want to ensure that people who thought the SEW video was too long don't miss out on GHOSTBLEED: The Bio Horror.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i used to have a fascination with serial killers when i was younger but lost interest because i concluded serial killers aren't masterminds they're stupid the cops are just stupider or dont care because the serial killer is killing sex workers and gay people
every single true crime podcast is like 'he was an amazing mastermind...' and then ten minutes in its like 'a woman escaped him and told the cops his address and that he was doing murders but the cops called her a stupid bitch and ignored her' and then 40 minutes in its like 'he drove past a cop with fifteen bodies in his trunk and the cops gave him a thumbs up'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

whole thing felt like a trauma response to the dragging they got and it's impossible to tell the sincerity of any of it
i mean yiik itself contains an entire segment where the protagonist of their previous game, a game so completely broken that it was basically unplayable, talked aobut how 'people might not understand you... but its okay... YOU can finish your story...' so i think theyre just convinced theyre tortured artists and the first video game devs ever to make anything meaningful or w/e.

my sympathy for the devs pretty much evaporated when they started going on rightwing podcasts to rail about their detractors.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i used to have a fascination with serial killers when i was younger but lost interest because i concluded serial killers aren't masterminds they're stupid the cops are just stupider or dont care because the serial killer is killing sex workers and gay people
This is why I like last podcast. I never cared about true crime until then and they spend every episode breaking down how pathetic these people are

I find them facisnating in how they get there and it’s usually just pure mediocrity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If I wanted to spend hours on pathetic mediocrities, id watch, the freaking Minnesota Vikings!!!!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Came here to post this. Love her channel.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am misogynistic and I love crime.

Do you also sleep all night and work all day?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Endorph posted:

my sympathy for the devs pretty much evaporated when they started going on rightwing podcasts to rail about their detractors.

When did this happen?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

CelticPredator posted:

This is why I like last podcast. I never cared about true crime until then and they spend every episode breaking down how pathetic these people are

I find them facisnating in how they get there and it’s usually just pure mediocrity.

So what you're saying is I should become a serial killer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

When did this happen?

The audio clip of andrew allenson yelling about how he wanted alex to be a piece of poo poo flawed protagonist but gamers were too stupid to get it was from his appearance on The Dick Masterson Show

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/nnq2c3/video_games_my_mistake_was_thinking_that_video/

quote:

My mistake was thinking that video games are art. I wanted to make a game about a guy who’s a piece of poo poo unlikable character, who by the end of the game has to transform. But too many gamers, when they look at this, when they play a game, they’re so used to having to identify with the character, that if they play a game where the main character is unlikable or has to do some bad stuff, they immediately get triggered by it.

So, the thing is, games aren’t art. They’re toys for children and it’s considered in bad form to talk about anything meaningful, or impactful or thought provoking.

I was trying to make the video game version of a Chuck Palahniuk novel, or a Haruki Murakami novel. To try and do something a little different y’know? But it turns out, everyone just wants Ayn Rand-ian written characters, where the main villain is like Wesley Mouch. You immediately know what to feel about each character. […] When you make an unlikable character, people expect Sherlock Holmes or Dr. House.

They want flawed heroes, but only to the extent that they’re beautiful and intelligent and slightly Asperger-y. But they manage to be dicks to everyone and they get away with it because they bring some sort of savant-ism that saves the world. So if you make a character who’s just some hipster obsessed with the paranormal who hasn’t grown up yet and treats his friends like poo poo, people immediately feel- they don’t know how to process this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He wanted to write the video game version of a Haruki Murakami novel, and by that he means he lifted a passage from a Haruki Murakami novel that was written after the game is set and put it in Alex's inner monologue and then later tried to justify it by saying Alex read the book and was processing what he was seeing by remembering it

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

quote:

I was trying to make the video game version of a Chuck Palahniuk novel, or a Haruki Murakami novel.
just loving lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Did i mention that their previous game that YIIK literally puts on a pedestal wasn't pulled from Steam just because it was so poorly made and broken as to be unplayable, it was pulled from Steam for plagiarising music

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree with him. As a gamer I constantly say that games should be more like Ayn Rand novels.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yiik devs cursing the house of Antonin Scalia and laying the weary bones of Robert Ebert to rest. I dont see a downside.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

a friend streamed the demo for the new stuff that got put out a bit ago and its so weird. i have no idea what to make of it. the visuals are like genuinely really good in a lot of spots now, and i think it's clear they know the criticism people had... but i cant tell if theyre responding to it or lashing out at it. like. all the alex monologues were still there, but now they had high effort cutscenes where he's like MCing at some imaginary standup comedy club and every one has unique animations and stuff. i cant say it doesnt make them more bearable but also lmao how did you stick to these guns. whole thing felt like a trauma response to the dragging they got and it's impossible to tell the sincerity of any of it

Well, he made it skippable!

There is a part of me that is rooting for YIIK just because the guy is still at it. It’s a terrible game with awful execution, but I can see the kernel of a good idea in there, and I appreciate that they haven’t given up on it yet, even they maybe should

I can gather that, at the end of the game, the reveal is supposed to be “Alex YIIK is such a self absorbed jackass that broke reality so he could date a parallel universe of himself, and now this girlfriend-Alex is trying to take things over by manipulating the Player-Alex, until the OTHER Player-Alex decides to pull the plug on the machine that keeps the universe broken.”

Or something. I will be frank, this is just me trying to find something that makes sense of what the hell was going on after everyone dies and pandaaaaaaaaaa happens. I don’t think this is a horrible idea for a story, but if that IS what they were going for, YIIK spends way too much time on whatever they were going for in the first half of the game.

I can’t be mad about the game, though. Kiss Rory is one of the funniest drat things I have seen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even if you think the team involved has talent, which is entirely possible, I think it would be a far better idea for them to make a new game rather than spend years and years trying to fix incredibly bad rpg "YIIK".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The revelation that yiik means y2k is such a clumsy thing lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bioshock is art because it's a dunk on Libertarians from start to finish and if that isn't art I don't know what is

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Even if you think the team involved has talent, which is entirely possible, I think it would be a far better idea for them to make a new game rather than spend years and years trying to fix incredibly bad rpg "YIIK".

I genuinely like the aesthetic of the game and think more than a few of its songs slap.

These guys would absolutely be better served by just working on something else, because they’re currently funnelling this talent into a game that’s already a bad joke.

There’s a video about YIIK I like that concludes in a similar place, though it also adds the caveat that they’re looking forward to this relaunch in part to see if it gets any worse.

https://youtu.be/avX7hqzT7ag?si=WFZaODe4E-nPyI6u

Love the thumbnail.

Edit for the post below: But… the game takes place in 1999! Unless he’s talking about the player YIIK that shows up at the end of the game because that’s implicitly after 2017, but…

?????

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 19, 2024

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my favorite tidbit about yiik is that (according to its devs and small handful of fans) it does not take place in the 90s, it takes place in the present day as an idealized fantasy about a conversation on an internet message board that alex made up in his head and then the devs called people media-illiterate idiots for not understanding that

funny enough every time you ask one of yiik's few defenders to point to any hint of that apparently being the case, they just say it's too complicated and they can't just point it out, you have to put it together yourself etc etc. ie it's total horseshit. even the interviews from right after the game came out seem to contradict this narrative, so it seems pretty clearly that it is some poo poo they made up afterward to make their embarrassing flop of a lovely game seem smarter than it is, which is a hell of a thing to do to a game that is already the smugliest-written game in history.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 19, 2024

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

New Civvie 11 round-up video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3F6WL1j52I

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

The audio clip of andrew allenson yelling about how he wanted alex to be a piece of poo poo flawed protagonist but gamers were too stupid to get it was from his appearance on The Dick Masterson Show

he's like later claimed that acting that angry about it was a bit, because that's the gimmick of that podcast or whatever. but i sure as hell am not going to listen to episodes to find out it b/c yeah dick masterson's a shithead and it's loving weird that you'd like him and go on his podcast at all, andrew!!!

something something tehsnakerer identifying him as a guy with A Capacity For Bullshit is like the most on the money he's ever been. impossible to trust style guy. in addition to all that plagiarism. btw the new YIIK demo starts out with a giant works cited page to ward off plagiarism accusations lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am tim! posted:

Edit for the post below: But… the game takes place in 1999! Unless he’s talking about the player YIIK that shows up at the end of the game because that’s implicitly after 2017, but…

?????

it all supposedly takes place in alex's head and he visualizes it as being 1999 or some poo poo

it is very stupid and convoluted and doesn't track with the actual game or the poo poo the devs said immediately following its release, but that's what they say now

i think ackk are just bewilderingly stupid

e:

https://twitter.com/AckkStudios/status/1686440406974681092

https://twitter.com/AckkStudios/status/1686445046239739913

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Terrible AI thumbnail? Check.

Sucks how many creators are getting into this. Pretty good air disaster channel Mentour Pilot dropped this turd recently:

It's not even representative of what happened in the cockpit. And it's not like he's hurting for views he's the most popular air disaster channel with over 360,000,000 views.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

every time I'm reminded the game called YIIK is made by a development team called Ackk is the funniest time. Ackk!! Yiik!!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4WzlhMm84c

Its a little less funny since the developer decided to go along with the meme but still hilariously stupid writing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

every single true crime podcast is like 'he was an amazing mastermind...' and then ten minutes in its like 'a woman escaped him and told the cops his address and that he was doing murders but the cops called her a stupid bitch and ignored her' and then 40 minutes in its like 'he drove past a cop with fifteen bodies in his trunk and the cops gave him a thumbs up'

True, learning about serial killers can give you depression. It's not just the police that's stupid though, society itself can put up a long line of hurdles for the police to overcome on their way to bumble to victory.

This short exchange about true crime made me remember the old German movie "M" about a pedophilic child-murderer, in which Fritz Lang true crimed his way through a bunch of real-life cases to get his movie murderer, and the case of Peter Kürten is especially dire: Women giving descriptions that are all unusable because they didn't realize their attacker was using make-up to appear younger (some victims managed to miss the mark by ca. 24 years), one woman even suddenly changed her story and claimed she had chocked herself and thrown herself into a river -the only thing dumber about that last bit is the police actually believing her.

The three saddest (and most ludicrous) points from his career were:

1. At one point he killed a nine-year-old girl basically in front of his apartment and escaped notice, despite being the only violent robber, rapist and general no-good-doer around. Seriously, the guy had raped and robbed his way across Germany and had spent most of his life in prison, then suddenly a dead girl lies on his doorstep. Nobody cared.

2. After one of his killings, he returned to the crime scene and found a cop searching around with a dog. He gave the cop some tips to find the stuff he had taken and later dumped from his latest victim. The cop didn't think this was in any way suspicious.

3. When the cops closed in on him, they first send him a polite Vorladung and even politely went to his home to arrest him. The German police then went into full slapstick mode and kept missing him, while Peter Kürten just went out to get his unemployment money, not even knowing he had been caught yet. :psyduck:

but yeah, a lot of serial killing is the police just being goddamn stupid, the rest after that is humans being stupid in general

oh yeah, and you two guys watching Kürten walk off with the five-year-old girl you knew fairly well, I'm sure that totally unknown man you've never seen before is just her daddy, you loving suck

I would never be able to listen or view anything related to true crime unless it's wacky hijinks with people stealing or breaking poo poo, but murder and rape? gently caress off with that, you're almost as bad as the killers, as far as I'm concerned.

Peter Kürten's last words before he was judged guilty and executed can be summarized as:

"...you really made it too easy." A perfect comment on humanity, I think.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 19, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Having a whole story secretly set in a dream or the imaginary world of an autistic child is almost always bad unless you are good enough a writer, and aack is not made of good writers

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't YIIK have an actual ending that properly resolves all the dangling threads? There's no audio but it exists in the games files and players were baffled as why they would cut it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Libluini posted:

I would never be able to listen or view anything related to true crime unless it's wacky hijinks with people stealing or breaking poo poo, but murder and rape? gently caress off with that, you're almost as bad as the killers, as far as I'm concerned.

The jury finds the defendant guilty of listening to a distasteful podcast in the first degree. The sentence is 25 years with credit for time served and no possibility of parole.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ariong posted:

The jury finds the defendant guilty of listening to a distasteful podcast in the first degree. The sentence is 25 years with credit for time served and no possibility of parole.

Deserved for being a podcast listener.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ariong posted:

Lmao

Podcasts own and help get through the day if you’re working dull jobs

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mycot posted:

At some point True Crime became a thing For Girls and that had catastrophic effects for its presentation

Before the shift I got into True Crime in like 2013, and there was I think still is a podcast called Sword and Scale than I listened to and the host just put audio of a guy murdering 2 people over a 911 call into the middle of an episode.

I have never listened to anything true crime related since.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

yeah OK, in hindsight, maybe getting hanged for listening to the wrong podcast is a bit much

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheMightyBoops posted:

Before the shift I got into True Crime in like 2013, and there was I think still is a podcast called Sword and Scale than I listened to and the host just put audio of a guy murdering 2 people over a 911 call into the middle of an episode.

I have never listened to anything true crime related since.

Last Podcast on the Left had an episode fairly early on that was literally just the death tape from Jamestown in full. Like, what? Why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

started reading this post and thought this sounded like the cereal convention and read the part where you compared it to sandman's cereal convention gently caress you!

This makes me remember the time Criminals Minds had an episode where there were these two serial killers who were basically anime rivals and the source of tension was that one guy was a sad taxi driver who gunned down prostitutes and the other was a handsome guy who strangled white lady joggers in the park and the sad taxi driver freak was upset the other guy got all the attention.