Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hot coldman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Quinton Reviews' Beverly Hillbillies video got issued a takedown notice from Paramount and now it's gone from his YouTube channel.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Quinton Reviews' Beverly Hillbillies video got issued a takedown notice from Paramount and now it's gone from his YouTube channel.

lol

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

another patriot silenced by the woke mob :911:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The MSJ posted:

He might not actually have a case for it being a transformative work.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he will edit out all the copyright infringement

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

that vids decent but since it just focuses on three bigger games it misses some random cool stuff. for instance riesbyfe from melty blood

versus guys

versus girls

riesbyfe ftw.

Yeah I would have liked to have seen more smaller FGs.

Riesbyfe ftw.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
slab bulkhead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh poo poo I went to look up the list of names from the space mutiny mst3k episode and there's new lore!

quote:

When Space Mutiny was re-riffed by RiffTrax for a live presentation, three new names were added: Lunk Drywall! (by Mike), Stiff Shakestone! (by Kevin) and Thump Peqwich! (by Bill).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtakuGy3KI
Primm watches late era Spike Lee movie, Chi-Raq. You know I like Primm's stuff but he should probably reconsider some of his Black All Stars.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

another patriot silenced by the woke mob :911:

No comrade. Is capitalism fault.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just subscribed to the Game Grumps patreon and I'm really glad I did because holy loving poo poo I felt like I was going to faint from laughing so hard at the extras for their Ramen 10 Minute Power Hour

they're just sitting there tasting more and more of the 40 different kinds of ramen that were collected for the bit, and Dan just very casually says "you know the lobsters that are in the supermarket, and doomed? this tastes like their feelings. ya just see'em in there just like, 'aaaaaah, poo poo' "

and dan reading the label of one "chinese spicy semen ramen...sesame ramen. sorry. there was...a lot happening on the words there." with the length of the actual episode the extras more than doubling the runtime of it surprised me, usually extras are like 5 minutes of mediocre footage but this is just straight up multiple extra fully edited episodes of each 10 minute power hour on their patreon.

if you haven't seen the episode yet, it's a great time. they look like death warmed over at the end of it, definitely the faces of "oh god I'm old and definitely shouldn't be tasting 40 different kinds of ramen in such a short timespan" :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS14bF26IO0&hd=1

and they pour every single one of the cups into a bucket, and then try THAT at the end of it. and one of the crew breaks out a tupperware bin to scoop a bunch of the bucket into to take home. hokay

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The MSJ posted:

lmfao

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

2 second video

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It would be very funny if he bought a 3d animated title sequence and added "based on the works of CBS television networks" to it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtakuGy3KI
Primm watches late era Spike Lee movie, Chi-Raq. You know I like Primm's stuff but he should probably reconsider some of his Black All Stars.

Yeah that shout out to transphobe Dave Chappelle was :catstare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annointed posted:

Yeah that shout out to transphobe Dave Chappelle was :catstare:

well considering primm hangs out with a stand up comedian/podcast guy (eddie ifft) who still refers to his podcast flophouse as the 'rape cottage,' in 2022, and speaks lovingly of the time he interviewed a guy who had sex with a 'post-op transsexual,' i am going to assume he has a Certain Kind of Brain. you could, in fact, say chud.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://youtu.be/L3RTHsNeGx8?t=70 im dying at this clip of eddie ifft bombing a set in 30 seconds flat and then his gambit to win them back is 'now let's get into the metoo movement' and you can audibly hear the audience wish for death

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stand-up comedy should be outlawed as a form of unjust and unusual torture

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Stand-up has its moments but it definitely draws the specific kind of guy who sees it and thinks “I can be an insufferable self-absorbed rear end in a top hat, and they have to applaud”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as illustrated in that clip they technically dont have to

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bravesword posted:

Stand-up has its moments but it definitely draws the specific kind of guy who sees it and thinks “I can be an insufferable self-absorbed rear end in a top hat, and they have to applaud”

Also nearly any comedian that made money and got famous railing against the Establishment eventually becomes the Establishment.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I saw Taylor Tomlinson live and it was good

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Podcasts ruined Stand up comedy - no longer did standups have to work hard to make a person laugh, they can just cultivate a podcast audience across the nation and just sell out shows no matter where.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
podcasts are epic and stand-up is a devils art

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Curmudgeonly grumbling about how it might actually be different these days, and stand up used to be quality. Why, when I was a kid, listening to George Carlin's Class Clown on my Walkman, I'd be giggling for the whole walk to school.

I struggle to recall anything more recent than Jim Gaffigan's "Hot Pockets" giving me that kind of pure joy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best form of comedy is taskmaster

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
nothing more perfectly defines the state of modern stand up then Sebastian Maniscalco being billed as this mega star and then bombing insanely hard at the MTV awards because his routine was essentially "lol millennials and their safe spaces right?"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That over-emotional Dubliner on fake videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GnM5xD1k4

So far this is mostly him gushing about hypothetical de-makes and screengrabs and it's cool. I'm fine vibing with fan-made pixel or early 3D geometic blob conceptualizations of Elden Ring and hypothetical survival horror games. It's really impressive seeing people make high quality animations around 16-bit Earthbound-esque games. Makes me feel nostalgic for those old Newgrounds Mario fight videos.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He does read a 4th wall break into Vermis 2 that just isn't there. Thematically it can also be about you the reader, but there is a very specific in world explanation for all the stuff he interpreted as about the reader.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Farg posted:

and stand-up is a devils art
you lost me

Farg posted:

and stand-up is a devils art
you won me back

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

you lost me

you won me back

what can I say

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

nothing more perfectly defines the state of modern stand up then Sebastian Maniscalco being billed as this mega star and then bombing insanely hard at the MTV awards because his routine was essentially "lol millennials and their safe spaces right?"

Netflix autoplayed one of his specials once because I didn't move off the cursor fast enough and I saw a bit where he was complaining about people listening to music at the gym calling their headphones "bitch buds" while miming a gay way of walking.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
when I think of the term stand-up comedian I think 'weirdo nobody has ever heard of performing for 13 people and a dog at Edinburgh Fringe' and not 'multimillionaire with their own show on streaming services' and I would advice everyone to follow my example

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

pentyne posted:

There used to be a mechanism for vetting national stand up acts. Comedians would work a bunch of clubs. Get some notoriety. A scout would find them and book them for a national audience like an HBO special or a spot on Ed Sullivan/Johnny Carson/Jay Leno. If they did ok, they'd sell more records. If they did great, they get their own show or a recurring guest spot somewhere. Sure, this system was exploitative, sexist, gatekeeping, etc, but it did separate a lot of the wheat from the chaff.

Nowadays, it seems like anybody can go from podcast/YouTube personality to nationally distributed stand up comedian.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Comedians have had it too good for too long. It's about time somebody knocked them down a peg or two. :toughguy:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

volts5000 posted:

There used to be a mechanism for vetting national stand up acts. Comedians would work a bunch of clubs. Get some notoriety. A scout would find them and book them for a national audience like an HBO special or a spot on Ed Sullivan/Johnny Carson/Jay Leno. If they did ok, they'd sell more records. If they did great, they get their own show or a recurring guest spot somewhere. Sure, this system was exploitative, sexist, gatekeeping, etc, but it did separate a lot of the wheat from the chaff.

Nowadays, it seems like anybody can go from podcast/YouTube personality to nationally distributed stand up comedian.

brendan loving schwab somehow got a special like after a year of doing it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Standup ftw, love to fall back on being "edgy" because I have zero comedic talent or ability to write jokes, and then complain about how the woke has ruined comedy because nobody thinks my slurs are funny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Standup ftw, love to fall back on being "edgy" because I have zero comedic talent or ability to write jokes, and then complain about how the woke has ruined comedy because nobody thinks my slurs are funny.

I remember Seinfeld saying that poo poo nearly 20 years ago, and the whole discourse about comedians refusing to do college shows, when the reality was they were poo poo comics no one wanted to see anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Slotducks posted:

brendan loving schwab somehow got a special like after a year of doing it

Not sure what brain injury you're referring to, my man