Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I just had this video from a smaller creator about "Consumption Communities" and the unexamined harm they can cause and I thought it was neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44lw5lQHVy0

As a side note because it comes up briefly in the video: I have never understood the appeal of mechanical keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

the alpha / beta / omega stuff breaking containment from niche fanfic window dressing to one of the new accepted universes for romance and erotica is infinitely fascinating to me

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

I just had this video from a smaller creator about "Consumption Communities" and the unexamined harm they can cause and I thought it was neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44lw5lQHVy0

As a side note because it comes up briefly in the video: I have never understood the appeal of mechanical keyboards.

Have you tried using one? I appreciate the tactile feedback telling me for certain that a keystroke has happened, and the consistency of when it activates in the stroke. It's like a solid mouse click vs a squishy television remote button.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mech keyboards feel much better to use and in my experience hold up better than the rubber dome lads. I've used mine for about a decade and have never had any serious issues whereas the older keyboards would start sticking or become unresponsive

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

the alpha / beta / omega stuff breaking containment from niche fanfic window dressing to one of the new accepted universes for romance and erotica is infinitely fascinating to me

The thing I've never understood about this stuff is how and why it started? I think anyone who's familiar with the concept knows it originated from the SuperWhoLock fanfiction community, but I've never really gotten a clear explanation as to why this incredibly specific scenario of men with dog-cocks whose biological sexual dynamics are based off of scientifically inaccurate stereotypes about wolf pack dynamics from 50 years ago was a thing that specifically originated in this community? Like, if its genesis point had been in the Twilight fandom I'd be like "Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense" because that series has a bunch of sexy werewolf boys running around, so there's obviously going to be a segment of that fandom who's into gay werewolf sex who would create this kind of system.

But as near as I can tell, the only piece of source material that has anything that could vaguely connect back to Omegaverse stuff would be Supernatural, but I don't think werewolves really showed up in that show very often?

B33rChiller posted:

Have you tried using one? I appreciate the tactile feedback telling me for certain that a keystroke has happened, and the consistency of when it activates in the stroke. It's like a solid mouse click vs a squishy television remote button.

I have admittedly never used one, and, while there's definitely models of non-mechanical keyboards I prefer over others, I've never really found myself hindered by any of the keyboards I've used to the degree I could justify spending so much extra money on a keyboard specifically. I can at least understand the mindset of someone who prefers using a mechanical keyboard, but I specifically don't understand the communities of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts who actively customize and fine tune their keyboard setup.

Typing, for me, is not an activity I really feel like my experience needs to be improved above a certain level.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's definitely an audiophile-like aspect to mechanical keyboard circles where people can get absolutely insanely granular about caps/switches/etc to a level where it just gets silly. That said mechanical keyboards are really nice from a tactile standpoint and using one definitely helps with my comfort/accuracy while typing as compared to a cheap rubber dome one. I kinda treat it like a mattress or an office chair where it seems boring but enough of my temporal existence is spent using the thing that I might as well invest in a nice one and hope it lasts a good while.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there generally haven't been any perfect keyboards so far, so there's always something to criticize about other people's keyboards. instead of one keyboard that has everything, what about getting five that you swap between

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

After wearing out my last keyboard, I thought I'd try out a mechanical keyboard to see what the hype was all about, and it certainly feels a lot better to type on. I figured that I had enough of a track record of wearing out keyboards, that it might be justified to spend a little more on one that might be more durable. Took a chance, and have been satisfied with the results so far. I would imagine that the niche communities that enjoy customising and tweaking are similar to the niches you'd find surrounding other gadgets. Some subset of people will always enjoy customising and tinkering. This one is just a little odd niche. Have a read through TFR for a lot of the same geekery. Or folks that buy a perfectly fine arcade stick, and proceed to swap out all the buttons, and the stick, and put a new restrictor gate on the stick, and shim the height of the stick to get the engagement distance fine tuned to their preferences.

"I NEEEEEED to make it perfect for ME!"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what if they made a keyboard where all the keycaps are other, smaller keyboards

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There are certainly audiophile keyboard enthusiasts, but my keyboard is now 15 years old, works as well as when it was new, and i can pull off all the caps and put them in the dishwasher. Hell, I could remove the PCB and put all the rest in the dishwasher as well. I use that thing for at least 10 hours a day. I make alphabet soup once a quarter or so to have a clean keyboard.

I don't like using rubber dome keyboard (too mushy and I don't press all the way down), and I have a visceral hatred of scissor switches (they bottem out so fast it's like typing on conrete)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like the sound of mechanical keyboards. The clacky clunky noises the keys make are very satisfying to me for some reason.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I like the sound of mechanical keyboards. The clacky clunky noises the keys make are very satisfying to me for some reason.

Pining for the days of the manual typewriter. Embracing tradition? uhoh, yikes!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Buckling spring supremacy.

(And so expensive, mine got destroyed and I can’t justify the $130 for a new one now that I don’t do chat support for a living. But they’re so nice. :negative: )

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Fall of Civilizations dropped, four hours about Egypt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpKej05RgsY&hd=1

Tasting History reproduces the Lusitania's menu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUjdI6VbwQ&hd=1

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:lol:, I can only use one of my ergonomic keyboards for about 2-3 years, then the color from the keys starts peeling off.*

Apparently, when Microsoft promises this wouldn't happen, they don't test their keyboards with acid hands.

*Mechanically, they of course still work perfectly fine, and since I've learned to type by using finger placement, I don't need to look at a big "N", to know where this specific key is. But I learned the hard way too that a lot of people can't deal with this -one time I had to teach a kid English, and he couldn't use my keyboard. Back in the days, 5+ keys had been completely stripped of color at that point.

I had to get an old basic keyboard out of storage just so he could type without getting confused. :allears:

Nowadays, when I look at my keyboard and see keys disappearing, I tend to go "aww, not that poo poo again" and remember the kid's reaction to my slowly emptying keyboard, and break down to buy a new one.

but, good news! I was consistently ill for most of 2021-2024, so my current keyboard has only lost 50% of a single key so far! (the letter "A" in this case)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember when I was a kid and we got our first computer and I wore the ink off certain keys playing a few games over and over, it was the first time it ever occurred to me that I might be spending a little too much time on this stuff. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to whomever recommended Gabi Belle. I enjoyed her Twilight videos, glad we live in an age where people were rightly chastised for making fun of the series for being for women but also realizing there is still like a mountain of things you can make fun of it for.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Calling it now, Brandon Sanderson is gonna finish ASOIAF.

People have been making that joke for 15 years now. That's how long he's been dragging his feet

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dewgy posted:

Buckling spring supremacy.

(And so expensive, mine got destroyed and I can’t justify the $130 for a new one now that I don’t do chat support for a living. But they’re so nice. :negative: )

After using nothing but laptop keyboards for the best part of 15 years, I got a very decent membrane keyboard that looks like a IBM Model M for £30.

It's very good, and I don't feel unclean for taking part in expensive mechanical keyboard fetishism.

That is my contribution to keyboard discourse.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 was the best keyboard ever made.

David Hilowitz turns an earthquake into a sample library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPlCQIWAtkE

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mercury Hat posted:

i think i mentioned it before in this thread but there's an omegaverse anime this spring season and it's just a completely wholesome parenting anime about two gay dads. like so wholesome that there's little of interest about it (which is fine), just a lot of "aww baby cute"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

The thing I've never understood about this stuff is how and why it started? I think anyone who's familiar with the concept knows it originated from the SuperWhoLock fanfiction community, but I've never really gotten a clear explanation as to why this incredibly specific scenario of men with dog-cocks whose biological sexual dynamics are based off of scientifically inaccurate stereotypes about wolf pack dynamics from 50 years ago was a thing that specifically originated in this community? Like, if its genesis point had been in the Twilight fandom I'd be like "Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense" because that series has a bunch of sexy werewolf boys running around, so there's obviously going to be a segment of that fandom who's into gay werewolf sex who would create this kind of system.

But as near as I can tell, the only piece of source material that has anything that could vaguely connect back to Omegaverse stuff would be Supernatural, but I don't think werewolves really showed up in that show very often?
in general there's two angles

1) its a very easy excuse to make two characters gently caress in a way that makes little sense character-wise but is hot to you. most of the dog cock stuff (lol) got excised as it went on by a lot of authors so it doesnt have that niche fetish angle its basically just an excuse to make characters go 'i want to... gently caress you....' and then do it.

2) its an understood handwave for cis men to get pregnant

its extremely weird but if you strip it down to just those two basic elements it makes a lot of sense why it blew up.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
just make 'em furries imo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KingKalamari posted:

I don't get it either, I've tried three different ones that Spacewoman has had and they've all felt distinctly weird and unpleasant to use along with making me far more error-prone.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

in general there's two angles

1) its a very easy excuse to make two characters gently caress in a way that makes little sense character-wise but is hot to you. most of the dog cock stuff (lol) got excised as it went on by a lot of authors so it doesnt have that niche fetish angle its basically just an excuse to make characters go 'i want to... gently caress you....' and then do it.

2) its an understood handwave for cis men to get pregnant

its extremely weird but if you strip it down to just those two basic elements it makes a lot of sense why it blew up.

No, see, I can completely understand why it took off, I'm confused about why this particular idea, complete with dogcocks, first showed up in a fandom that had next to no existing connections to dogcocks on which to build this framework? Like I said: Why did The Omegaverse originate with SuperWhoLock and not in the Twilight or World of Darkness or Road Rovers fandoms where there was stuff in the source material that would nudge fan fiction writers in the direction of dogcocks?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some people just wanna cum

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingKalamari posted:

No, see, I can completely understand why it took off, I'm confused about why this particular idea, complete with dogcocks, first showed up in a fandom that had next to no existing connections to dogcocks on which to build this framework? Like I said: Why did The Omegaverse originate with SuperWhoLock and not in the Twilight or World of Darkness or Road Rovers fandoms where there was stuff in the source material that would nudge fan fiction writers in the direction of dogcocks?

What were they THINKING

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

i'd guess it's because of the sheer size of the superwholock fandom plus said fandom's larger-than-average enthusiasm for making up infinite new scenarios where men gently caress each other

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(Obama voice): Why did The Omegaverse originate with SuperWhoLock and not in the Twilight or World of Darkness or Road Rovers fandoms where there was stuff in the source material that would nudge fan fiction writers in the direction of dogcocks?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its because the superwholock fandom is full of the biggest freaks on the internet

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

have you ever met a normal supernatural or doctor who fan? i rest my cast your honor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its because the superwholock fandom is full of the biggest freaks on the internet

OK it's smaller but world of darkness is *definitely* worse there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one is like posting erotic fanfic on LJ weird, and the other is "inviting you to their 24/7 sex cult house" weird

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one is like posting erotic fanfic on LJ weird, and the other is "inviting you to their 24/7 sex cult house" weird

Where does the fraud 9/11 memorial put on by the hobbit sex cult fall on that scale

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It’s not even an editorial thing with GRRM. He destroyed his writing momentum because the middle part of the story wasn’t charted out beyond “timeskip???” And then be realized he couldn’t fudge the details there and had to write through the whole thing and he got brutal writer’s block for a long time. Now everyone is mad at him, the tv show ended in a mess, and he’s still committed to finish a grim book series he started almost 30 years ago. I get the burnout even if it’s a shame if it’s left unfinished. The publisher probably would and will push writing duty off on someone else as soon as he leaves or dies though, and the ending will probably be some fan-placating crud to flip people back on the IP WB still wants to aggressively milk.

Yeah, definitely. He thought he had to answer the questions the timeskip set, but with a writing style that constantly adds new questions ended up with more of them than answers by the end. And even if he does finally worm himself out of that knot, there's no way he'd actually finish with the number of books he set out for the series.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Before omegaverse pre-internet fanfic writers just obsessed over the episode of Star Trek where Spock experiences Vulcan mating season.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Angry Writing Nerd: It's a beginners trap!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The larger the fan base the more deranged the fanworks will get, because it becomes harder and harder to stand out from the crowd unless you give your story a weird-rear end gimmick.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

new doctor who sucks but old doctor who ruled because it had no budget for retakes so actors flub their lines or stare at the camera constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Old Doctor Who is like, a half-step above a filmed stage production. Its great.