Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

0 rows returned posted:

different developers

night dive studios is the one making the enhanced editions of ss1 and 2, and the remake of ss1 (and own the system shock name now)

ss3 is (or was) being made by otherside entertainment, which is some former looking glass devs who put out underworld ascendant, which was critically panned for being half-baked iirc. they ran out of money and sold the ss3 ip to tencent and may or may not be involved anymore

They're also quietly working on a VR mode for the ss2 remaster and are saying all the right things about taking influences from eg Alyx (lifting the "teleporting items to your hand" concept, fully modelling weapons in-world, manual reloading etc).

Fingers crossed it goes somewhere and actually comes out:
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1348348791372480513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is this like a real remaster like they are doing with system shock 1? i remember backing that game on kickstarter and i think they will send me a code for the console version someday.

SS1 is more of a remake, completely new assets for a lot of stuff (i mean they're doing 3d versions of things that were originally only ever sprites - gun models, enemies, etc), fairly substantial gameplay changes.

SS2 from what they've shown seems much more restrained and in the remaster realm, maybe some upressed assets, general engine improvements to make it run on modern hardware reliably, widescreen resolutions. that level of stuff. Some light improvements but basically the same game.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I saw a single drop of tea tumble out of the mug once in the middle of a 2 hour SarahZ video.

I felt like I'd found an easter egg.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

DeafNote posted:

when they were finally old to stop wasting time as they weren't getting more than 6 seasons.

I'm pretty sure it was the opposite way around - the showrunners were desperate to have some end point they could write towards, but the network constantly pushed for keeping things open so they could keep going for infinite seasons. And even when they finally did manage to get a solid end date, it got shuffled around and split up into multiple half-seasons just to extend the number of years the network could have the show on the air.

Either way, same outcome - messy show.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Hel posted:

It's honestly my second favourite after 2 and it's a shame they probably won't get a chance to build on it.

Same, I really enjoyed it. Solid B+ gaming, just the saints row formula in a lightly modernized frame (both writing/jokes/story wise and gameplay wise). I had great fun with it, and it bums me out all the coverage I see of it being so dismissive.

Even with just little changes they made, like how they didn't get rid of Freckle Bitches they just updated it to be "FBs" - it's simultaneously exactly what a company would do today and... is exactly what a company is doing today? It serves both masters of "this is a satire of what a company with bitch in their name would do in 2020 to address that" and is also exactly... a company removing the word "bitch" from their in-game branding because it's 2020.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Andrew Verse posted:

Because they don't want to go to jail.

Jaily-waily.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I've had this avatar for two decades and never felt a desire to change it.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I hated the entire last level of TLOU1 and thought it sucked poo poo that my only choice as a Gamer was kill the only remaining apocalypse doctors in the world or stop playing the game forever.

But at least Joel's lie at the end was setting up for a sequel where Lie Is Revealed And Plot Happen.

Except then the whole plot of 2 just came from killing all the doctors and Joel's lie is barely of any consequence so.... lol

plus it sucked how many times I carefully snuck through an area only for Ellie to do a big fart or clatter over a load of pans or delboy through a bar in a cutscene and get caught.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

mycot posted:

IMO not every video game has to be a Your Choices Matter video game. Having two buttons labeled Save Ellie/Kill Ellie wouldn't have improved anything about the ending.

Some of my favourite game stories are no-choice stories. The problem I had with tlou1 was how much of the story I disliked for being cliched and obvious, how little I was interested in Joel's extremely obvious arc, and how it did not feel like it justified any of his actions at the end.

Which just amplifies how little choice you have - by making me play to a script I thought was dumb as hell by the end, but still had to do 3 more hours of doctor killing just so I could see if there was anything worthwhile beyond that.

And even though I hated it, I at least thought the lie was an interesting direction to take a sequel, and fully expected the sequel to... do something with that kernel. But then it just kills joel 10 minutes in, and ellie just shrugs off the lie really quickly after she finds out? i don't even remember, it was so inconsequential

graphics were good tho

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
They also disappointed by doing the exact same thing every "american encounters a marmite" thing does; take a substance with an impossibly strong flavour and then just clart a load of it on something and eat it neat.

No! it tastes awful, of course do not do this! it is to be used sparingly, preferably on well buttered toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

someone gave two idiots a pile of swords.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dan getting reprimanded by the sword safety guy being the introduction of a) the guest and b) that they had a sword safety guy