Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RareAcumen posted:

Also I had to learn that yeah, food existed in the past, it wasn't all gruel and hard stone bread or people just not knowing what the gently caress they were doing. Like, I knew that sandwiches and lobster were thought of as low class food and black slaves in America made fried chicken because they were giving garbage to start with but I never really thought about it beyond that.

Thanks Townsends!

Tasting History also seems to be pretty good for this, although I always think the guy presenting it is the son of Peter Rosenthal from the the Onion's movie review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Who dares say something negative about Max!

For real though he seems sweet and his videos are approachable and funny and informative. And he occasionally makes really dumb silly jokes. I appreciate him so much.

Oh no, not in his delivery. Max seems really neat. He just LOOKS like he's the guy's son, even though he's not. Like... How Sigorney Weaver and Michael Back looked like siblings back in the '70s.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The only time I really remember interacting with BotL was when I made a comment that they didn't respond to, which I took to mean that it was so insightful they couldn't critique it.

Or, y'know, it was just me making a comment so dumb even BotL couldn't be bothered with it. BUT STILL

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Merry Christmas. And to all, a good night!

Saint Nick says 'Happy Christmas', not 'Merry'! You're no true Christmas-celebrator!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, I started a new channel for any video essay things I do because I figured someone who found me via the video essay would be dismayed to see that my hundreds of other videos are Let's Plays and streams and not much video essay stuff. Less rude to say "Hey, I also have a gaming channel with thousands of hours of stuff that isn't this." and just link it than make people wade through tons of vids in the vague hope that one of them is similar to the content they originally came for.

Also: Hi, everyone.

Hey, VB.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Unironically, yes. Dante's Inferno sucks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The funniest thing about cyberpunk the RPG was, as the game came more into prominence, people who thought the ttrpg was just shadowrun without orcs started looking into it and realized how comically, insanely, over the top racist and ableist they were

Any 'good' highlights?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Coffin is literally a person who started with the desire to build an online brand and worked backward from there to find an ethic and perspective, as seen in how they started out doing dumb skits and self-ball-kicking for money.

Maybe I’ll give a minuscule amount of credit to Peter for not just being another internet reactionary, but that just means they’re either a little bit canny or draw the line at concentration camps, which isn’t really worth any credit.

Isn't Coffin the guy who made up a Japanese girlfriend?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Theyre NB and use they/them pronouns but anyway yeah they are lol

I was really confused for a second, then I remembered 'dude' is gendered. I keep forgetting that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Your post said guy tho, not dude? Unless youre referring to a different post.

Altho, dude is also considered gendered by most people too. I mean it kinda depends. In California, it's not considered gendered. I'm a girl and I don't mind being called dude by friends. It's kind of a case by case basis I guess lol

Goddamn, you're right. Stupid brain not work good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what's up weirdos on the fringe "left"(coffin, dore, greenwald, smaller others) who want to have some detente with nazis and chuds.

It's almost as if these people aren't actually left in the first place, and call themselves that so as to obfuscate their actual goals - for more, see Sartre's comments on anti-Semites.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one of the reasons i like SA is when i go to Games or book barn, its mostly a chill place and people don't get super loving mad about nerd poo poo. like yeah disecting and talking politics in nerd poo poo(in all the ways) can be fun and interesting but on SA, its chill, every other place i have looked at, doesnt seem that way. its either full of weird chud types who get mad about women/minorities or its some weird twitter/resetera/facebook nerd group struggle session purity poo poo where everyone argues of minutia of political theory instead of talking about politcs in _____ nerd property or even the nerd property in general. this isnt some sorkin scream for decorum or call outs. i mean this place is cool and good and a nice spot away from loud bullshit about space movies. also lol gently caress gina.

https://twitter.com/levine/status/1360027731250061319

also here. scream at this guy. an man i once thought was pretty cool and have signed copy of bioshock from him. too bad about dumb opinions.

It really astounds me that SA is pretty much like this, considering how it started out.

Also, Levin really sucks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy, xiran jay zhao just put up her ATLA: book two cultural influences video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SNxykp2MA&hd=1

This was good. I hope their book is good, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been having a hell of a terrible few weeks...

Sorry to hear that, chief. It's never easy when things feel/are that way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Not certain, but I'm guessing was visiting Zion National Park, because I believe he's said he's visited it before, and that was what inspired Honest Hearts.

He also probably thought the same thing most people think nowadays when they see that line used as a motivational phrase.

I don't know what on Earth people got from the Honest Hearts DLC because the instant I found out what was going on, I wanted to kill both of the two... Of whatever their names were and deal with that tribe hired by the Legion myself, because both of them were theocratic shitheads.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 3, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

... cool nature area.

Ok, that I can agree with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Darn. Oh well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

I think everyone should listen. And leave a review now that it’s finally listed on Apple Podcasts. And then tell me I’m a very good boy.

Ok, I'm going to ask what is potentially a very dumb question - I use Player fm to listen to most of my podcasts, but I can't find the podcast there. Is there a particular reason for this behind it isn't shared with PlayerFM, or am I just being a dumbo?

Also, you are a good boy and Mokie (sp?) is a good girl.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

Thank you! And I guess the answer was just a little more patience, it’s there now: https://player.fm/series/bizarre-podcast-dogs-must-die

Cheers!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I've heard of cat burglary before, but this is ridiculous!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Farg posted:

Sydney mcelroy was right to yell at a snake oil salesman if anything she should've put them through a table

I agree.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe it's because S.A. is slightly less than a complete trash fire, but it seems most people are saying 'It's pretty good, long, sure with a few flaws. But pretty good!'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Xiran Jay Zhao has stuff to say re. that recent massacre and anti-Asian racism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

IMO the strangest part of the RPO movie was how they presented The Shining as the spookiest, scariest most spine-tingling horror movie ever made rather than the tense thriller it actually is. They recreated the sets in sumptious detail but it felt like nobody had actually watched the movie when they wrote the script.

That, frankly, seems to be the case with every thing IN RPO.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Farsight Enclave are the good guys.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I had never heard of this Doug or channel awesome before.

Wow, what a... Something. Something that is the opposite of good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

As I've said earlier, I'm certain there's going to come a point in MauLer's life when he's going to look back at everything he's done and go "holy gently caress, I've wasted my life." It might just a brief blip of a thought as he slips off to bed one night and just shrugs it off and keeps on trucking, or it might be a reality cracking thing that causes him to completely liquidate his online oeuvre out of a suddenly, clawing existential shame like his friend The Dishonoured Wolf did when he realized "holy gently caress, I'm a huge ugly racist... goodbye world" and erased himself from the internet.

Is there a good run-down of this?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s exactly what it says on the tin: an angry weirdo alt-right furry edge lord had a massive dark night of the soul moment when he realized most of what he was famous for was racist and sexist rants conveyed through the medium of a sparsely animated wolf with an emo hair cut and a goatee, and Thanos snapped himself out of internet existence in shame.

Who gives a poo poo about him?

I suppose I don't, I just wanted to see such a reactionary scumbag go through that existential crisis.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Who is this person, anyway?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Those tweets must have been bad, they've all been taken down.

Normally, I'd be interested in trying to find what they were...

But frankly, I don't think I care enough.

And that's a wonderful feeling to have over some of this poo poo.

Edit: oh no, it was just my phone messing up. They were always still there. Hooray.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 28, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Xiran has a vid out on Korra.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I have to admit, I can sometimes find the McElroys irritating. But all the 'controversy' about them is many times more irritating (from what I've seen of it).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dabir posted:

Cage actively hated everything they were doing and kept trying to get them to stop

I remember hearing that, too. But I don't have the receipts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Chip and Ironicus are two of the best LPers (and also Voidburger) and I say that without a trace of hyperbole.

Edit: ^^^ I seem to recall that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Congrats to Jon! Personally I haven't sat through a full video so I don't have any appreciation for his content but still, good to see someone manage to take something good out of the COVID shutdown.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1407053429801984001

Awww

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Hey, I decided to give this newfangled youtube thing a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATM9oK7RIVA

I've never done this kind of thing before so feedback is welcome!

It's pretty good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. The scene comes up, obviously, but generally after Here's Johnny!, the blood out of the elevators, All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy, the twins, Scatman Crothers taking an ax to the back... I've honestly never seen people say it's The Scene from the film.

That scene can't be that iconic, since he takes the axe to the chest.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alacron posted:

The more I learn, the more I respect the hell out of localization work. Like, I always imagine a translator looking at a pun that actually gets drawn out visually on screen/panel and going "gently caress HOW DO I MAKE THIS WORK IN ENGLISH"

Hell, I've been doing some amateur Swedish-to-English translation which are a hell of a lot closer to each other and I feel that every so often.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SimonChris posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/05/15/the-perfect-mark

I am reminded of this old New Yorker article about psychoterapist who fell for a textbook 419 scam, even though he was supposed to be an expert in self-knowledge and introspection. The best mark is someone who believes they are too smart to be fooled.

Jesus this mark was so... Petty.

Not that I'm willing to admit that I think I'm immune to that kind of scam. I know I am!

I may not actually know that I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

bone witch was a trip and a half, up there with Alex Shepherd's Silent Hill 4 circumcision theories for me for amazing internet tales

That last thing wasn't Tumblr, tho...

But it was a trip and a half. God I wish I saved the page that summarized the whole drooling mess.