Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It sucks that the match ended on such a sour note for everyone involved, though at least it seems like everyone went on to fairly stable lives and successful careers. Throughout the video I thought Kasparov went nuts and ended up dying in a church in Iceland but it turns out I was getting him mixed up with Bobby Fischer. Actually Kasparov seems like a pretty stand-up guy from what little I've read about him (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that front).

It was a bit dismal that in the end it all amounted to a bit of spectace to boost IBM's stock price.

Then again, that was what big-time chess was for a lot of the 20th century: bragging right to see which superpower could produce the most proficient, monomaniacal Rook-stealer. We cannot allow a chess gap, Mr. President! And then promptly forgotten about once the Cold war was over. IBM just used one of its resident nerds and his passion for a remix to suck out the last bit of juice in that box.

Also, yeah, Bobby Fischer. Now that was an anti-semitic can of worms. I'm surprised there hasn't been more stuff about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

I remember in Dune. Frank Herbert made the heroes so drat pragmatic and cynical that he felt he had to make Baron Harkonnen rape and kill children just to put the scales back in order as to who the villain was.

It seemed kind of hamfisted to be honest because the Baron was good villain in his own right.

Very true. Though he at least dropped that quickly. For most of the other books, the antagonists tend to be on an even moral keel with the Atreides, or even a bit higher considering they are not having a fanatic crusade sterilize dozens of planets in veneration of a false god. It becomes Status Quo Pragmatics versus Future-Seeing Extremists.

Of course, then it degenerates into sexual mind-control guerillas, because sci-fi authors can't not be weird about sex.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

300 is also a fairly faithful (from my memory) adaptation of a comic book written by the author of robocop 3, a man who's brain was so scrambled by 9/11 he tried to get dc to allow him to release a comic book where batman does nothing but brutalise muslims.

Ehhh, not really.

Never been a big Miller fan and he has worked hard to erode even that mild starting point, but the 300 movie, despite being a big hit, is not unlike watchmen; it can get many frames picture-perfect while utterly violating the theme and spirit.

The comic book verion has spartans being...well, spartan. Laconic, hermetic. The movie turned them into a-wooing frat bros screaming and boasting every line. It had to include a moonlit scene of Leonidas banging his wife for proper no-homo cred, while in the story she just dryly comments that he was more enthusiastic than usual last night when she sees that he's going off to die.

Even worse, he created a whole character and sideplot entirely; Theron, a spartan traitor, to further drive home that true, noble warriors only lose when betrayed from within by those sleazy politicians and fifth-columnists! I mean, that was already a theme with Ephialtes, but Snyder thinks so little of the audience that he had to double down.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. My enormous video on Qanon should be out by the end of the day. Just wondering though, as Youtube is cracking down hard on Qnon material, shuld I avoid putting "Qanon" in the title or tagging it with Qanon?

Doing either of those will get you demonitozed for certain, and possibly removed as well.

Youtube hasn't done a recent loon purge like Twitter and Facebook did, mostly because it was already fine-tuning content visibility for years now. That doesn't mean it's not going to do it. You'd be safer using oblique terms like 'Trump's Cult' and such, because most Q-adjacent terms will likely be in the algorithm list.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I love how Jenny's tweet energy is the same as the deadpan in the videos.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember that several history-focused creators and channels migrated from Youtube to their own platform, due to being serially demonetized over bullshit. Does anyone know how that worked out, and if it's still up?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

This stuff always felt so annoying in Shadowrun due to how game-y and unrealistic it felt. And yeah I know it sounds strange to call a fantasy game unrealistic, but it felt notably so even next to all the elves and dragons and stuff. It’s like, you could tell it was put there solely as an attempt to railroad players into specializing in magic or tech rather than mixing them together.

Meanwhile CP2077 does away with this entirely, at least within the game's own continuity. You can get as many augmentations are you like without penalty, and it turns out that “cyberpsychosis” is just a lie the corps invented to cover for their selling people defective implants.

To be fair, in most Shadowrun editions I have played, you can break the game horribly if allowed to do full cyberware plus magic. Casters could already attack the enemy's weakest stat, alternating between Mana spells and Power spells, to clear rooms and trivialize enemies not specifically designed to counter them.

If you added in wired reflexes giving them initiative and multiple actions, cerebral implants boosting their mental stats to the stratosphere.... hell, lots of mages took an essence hit for cybereyes with infrared and magnification to abuse the "If you can see it, your can cast at it" rule, and it was already crazy strong.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Roth posted:

Returns rules. There's a lack of restraint to it that I appreciate from a directorial style.

Like how people get tired of Kojima's usual quirks, and I think they're just kind of rule.

Agreed. The part in which Bruce and Slina are making out and accidentally touching where they injured each other in their earlier fight as Batman and Catwoman was both cool and hilarious to my 11-year-old self.

That, and sending penguins with rockets to kill every firstborn like some circus-goth Old Testament punishment. It's the kind of performatic craziness that always tickles me right.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm honestly kind of amazed with how they decided to gaudy up this design by throwing on 80 layers of moving knives. There's no way this isn't going to be a confusing eye sore in a fight scene. My man looks like a first movie Bay-former.

Reminds me of that horrid version of Batman redesigned by the Square-Enix visual team.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Even if the rest of it had nothing good, but it does, Bret Hart's book is nuts for the story talking about just how much of a scummy rear end in a top hat UW was.

“I got to see exactly what kind of champion Warrior was during a show in Omaha. Propped up on a stretcher a few feet outside of the dressing room was a Make-A-Wish kid who looked to be down to his last few hours. There was not a hair left on his head, and not even his Warrior face paint could mask his sad eyes. Sickly pale and barely breathing through a ventilator tube, the boy wore a purple Warrior T-shirt and green and orange tassels tied around his biceps to honor his hero. His mother and father and an older brother and sister were with him, patiently waiting for the promised encounter with The Ultimate Warrior.

I bent over to say hello, as did all the other wrestlers on the way into the dressing room. It was odd, but there was Warrior actually sitting with us: He usually kept to himself in his private dressing room. By the time the third match started, a WWF public relations rep poked his head in and politely asked Warrior if he was ready to meet the dying boy. Warrior grunted, "In a fuckin’ minute. I’m busy." I thought to myself, Busy doing what, talking to a bunch of guys you can’t stand anyway?

As the night wore on, the family waited just outside the dressing room door, the boy hanging on to his dying wish to meet his hero. As I was returning to the dressing room after my match, I was relieved to see that they weren’t there anymore; I assumed that the kid’s wish had come true.

Warrior’s entrance music played while Jim and I quickly showered in hopes of beating the crowd out of the building. We’d have to hurry since Warrior never went over ten minutes. We dressed, grabbed our bags, and took off. As we rounded a corner down a backstage ramp, we came upon the boy and his weary family, who had been moved there so as not to get in the way of Warrior’s entrance. I thought, That lousy piece of poo poo. He’d made them wait all night, unable to summon the compassion to see this real little warrior. Hogan, Randy, and countless others, including André, never hesitated to take the time to meet a sick, dying kid. My disgust for Warrior magnified a thousand times. To me, he was a coward, a weakling, and a phony hero.”

:captainpop:

poo poo.

There goes my attempt as going for a full day without feeling rage that causes my teeth to clench so hard they squeal. And it's barely noon!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Archer666 posted:

I remember one of those Ultima reviews getting REALLY uncomfortable. He started punching the cover and looking unhinged, and either that was serious quality acting or he just lost it for a moment.

And then there was that one Twilight "review" where he just looked miserable, drowning himself in rum and skyping up random people.

The long bit was that reviewing all the series and how it went downhill was consuming him, and it actually had very decent makeup and acting to have him looking more wasted by the end of it.

The Twilight review didn't seem so bad...by itself. I've spent worst times with people after a breakup. Roasting a lovely movie and having a few drinks with friends to get out of your own head is not a bad way to deal. Sadly there was a lot more underneath.

And I never really got why the 'Betrayal!!" thing was...well, a thing. Someone being loud in the massive atrium of a lovely game company riding the bones of a beloved franchise? Nowadays this is the kind of thing that gets you Logan Paul money. People acting as if that alone had kept reviewers from becoming the new lords of all media was psychotic levels of delusion.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Augus posted:

also captain america going back in time to live his life breaks the rules of time travel that the story established but more importantly its insanely dumb from a character perspective.

Emm...somewhat. It's weird and raises lots of questions, but at the same time...

Cap's thing had always been that he was selfless to a fault, even as a weakling ready and willing to go die over in Europe during WW2, and in time every choice he could make while still being true to his motality only pushed him further in that direction.

Meanwhile, Tony Stark was a brillianr playboy war profiteer who never had to stop and think of the consequences of his trade and actions, until they exploded in his face.

Even when the two clash, they are kinda meeting halfway as they change their worldviews; Cap is being selfish and protecting a friend, and Tony is trying to bring lasting security to the world.

And at the very end, they are where the other started, in a way. Steve leaves the worldbe the world he found when he defrosted and lives a private life with his love, and tony selflessly sacrifices himself. Say what you will, I liked that weird convergence.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember the consensus regarding the happy finale of EVA being that it was a sort of 1984 brainwashing; the people serially congratulating Shinji for accepting himself and his worth were "artificial and robotic", trying to draw him into a false, happy world that meant not having to face his harsh reality, and him accepting them making the ending very grim and sad....

...and the End of Evangelion was coming to set that straight and give us the -real- deal!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Do the books ever explain why the greatest dark wizard, with followers penetrating every level of society and at one point pretty much taking over Britain, doesn't ever use stuff that is available to kids at a local school?

Like, say, a Time-turner. Or that luck potion that just makes the plot go your way. Instead, he is all gung-ho on some previously-unheard-of unique wand that never amounted to anything. And he didn't even need it since his nemesis was already dead!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
By the time St. Anger came out I was already hoarding mp3s (Ulrich's best efforts and all) and not really buying CDs much unless they were from my top favorite bands.

But I remember still going to used-CD stores and seeing -piles- of that album around. It was that classic work that sold big on hype, most people discovered they could not listen to twice, and dumped somewhere for a buck.

And my big time Metallica-fan friends had already gotten disappointed by Load, so it was a bit of a long one-two punch for them. "Yuck, they sound so trendy and stuff, I wish they were raw and heavy again! -intermission- Ooof, they sound like rough crap now! I'm not 15 anymore!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shoeonhead is Canadian: you can't blame that one on us. Unless she was radicalized on 4chan. Which she was.

It's entirely possible that she got tired of how thoroughly lovely the channers and alt-right types are, and decided a pay cut was worth not having to be nice to them and feed their delusions that they -totally- have a shot with her, if only she wasn't in a relationship!

It's not just anyone that can become a character and milk rubes indefinitely. You have to be either a sociopath, Rush Limbaugh and Dave Rubin style, or be a fellow crazy fully on board, like Candace. Otherwise, you slip and they spot you for a fake, or you burn out.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Did any of you ever watch The Sensitive Male episode of Johnny Bravo from back in the day?

Joss Whedon always kind of gave me the same vibe as that guy in the episode. Someone who preaches sensitivity, tolerance, feminism, etc., but only because he thinks it will get him laid.

Honestly, it sounds like his kind of "feminism" has been an open secret since the 90's.

It's not like his breakout work was about how strong and cool women are...when they are repeatedly chewed up by the world, broken and hollowed out until they are a shadow of their former selves, sobbing in the rain.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Doug has like a good 50 years of life left, doesn't he? What's he going to do at age 50? Age 60?

Milk the remaining core of his fanbase with live chats, twitch and whatever other means of engagement are popular, DSP-style. He's already been pitching his gaming sessions and such, which made me flashback to the Restsupurae of his Bart's Nightmare LP.

So like now, just even less meaningful. After you reach a certain treshold of followers, you will retain a residual 10k or so paying fans no matter what you do. Not enough to be a bigshot or anything close, but enough to live a comfortable life. Between DaddyOFive, Onision and others I think we have established only going to jail for a good long while can sink someone, and even that is not a given.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Uggh. A friend told me that Wakka's final limit break (or was it his ultimate weapon?) was a reward for a blitzball championship, so I played way too much of it waiting for it to appear as the prize, and it never did.

I think it was his ultimate weapon, because I remember getting a ball with 4 empty slots and just making a conterfeit final weapon for him. I think that was the final straw for me to go "screw it" and just start reading game guides online.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

how did nazis ever become popular a hundred years ago before twitter. it's a mystery we'll never solve

It's not like they were active and aggressive in engaging the new media of their day and age, no siree! Mussolini didn't hop onto the first wave of italian national press, and hitler hated the radio and live speeches!

The corps were always going to come down on the side of the big tyrants; it's where the safety is, and safety is money.

MSNBC ditched their most viewed host, Phil Donahue, because he spoke against the war in Iraq. Every entertainment corp nuked the Dixie Chicks from orbit. Waaay before anyone grunbled if Cancel Culture To think that they are going to have any scruples, no matter the context, is madness.

Newscorp Drone #1: "Raytheon wants us to pull this guy's channel because he's broadcasting images of the latest Saudi attack in Yemen. I'll push t the button."
Newscorp Drone #2: "Alas, we can't! You see, people stood by the free speech of VaccinesCauseAIDS14/88 four years ago, and now our hands are tied!"
Newscorp Drone #1: "Rats! Foiled again!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gwen posted:

just gonna say the quiet part you're all talking around out loud

There was literally a popular book written in the 90s called The End of History and the Last Man.

Take one guess where that guy was from.

The 90s were a victory lap at the end of the Cold War, but even then there were some signs at the edge of public awareness that certain people noticed, but that usually failed to penetrate the zeitgeist.

I was just starting to pay attention to politics/economy then, but also got to visit the US for the first time, then several times more in the 1995-1999 period, and it was an exhilarating experience.

There was a fair bit of talk about the end of the decade being a "soft landing" or a crash after the bonanza, though I also remember magazines proclaiming that the US had somehow hacked the laws of economics and now it'd be just endless prosperity forever and people were working so much they had to pay others to care for their pets and that was a -good- thing!

Then again, I remember my teachers talking somberly about the early Al quaeda attacks on the US embassies, and the one-two punch of the Dotcom crash and Columbine was a big sign that hey, maybe things were still happening and we were not at the end of History after all.

But those were nothing compared to the relentless cascade of 9-11, Enron, Iraq debacle, 2008 financial crapout, Trump, then chuds hooting as they took over the Capitol.

In the 90s, you had to actively be looking to see the tears at the seams. In the 2010s and onwards, you'd have to be covering your eyes under your bed to miss them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Apparently Boogie's getting arrested, over that time where he pointed the gun at the crazy rear end stalker that showed up to his house. gently caress Boogie but honestly at the same time it kind of sucks, because the dude that just showed up on his doorstep had done poo poo like sending him pictures of him pointing a gun at pictures of him and similar freaky poo poo. He should've just stayed inside and called the cops, but like when someone like that shows up at your door, I dunno man, it wouldn't be too far out to think that this creep had showed up finally intending to hurt you or your family.

What the actual hell. Isn't pointing guns at people who step half a foot into your property the holiest social rule of the US?

It's like the culture now punishes those who do NOT shoot. Then again, Boogie is not a cop and I'm betting the stalker was white.

I feel ashamed for even the mild amusement I got over groups hounding 'lolcows' like Boogie or DSP. It was the training ground of monsters, like Keemstar and Metokur.

Is Metokur even still around? I'm afraid to check. He might be as big a figure as Jeffree Star and I don't know it yet, and in that case I'd rather retain my ignorance.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And much like having to kill Zod is a fine idea on paper, the execution of it in the film is hilariously convoluted and laughable.

Yup. So much of my issues with the DC movieverse can be chalked up to this bizarre hurry they had in setting up theor characters and already zooming ahead with the heavy stuff.

They didn't set up Batman as a detective trying to fight the tide of crime, then losing his spark with Robin's death and degenerating into a grim paranoiac spouting Dick Cheney ideas; they had to throw him out already broken, and Robin just a cadaver implied by an empty suit.

Likewise, no Superman getting a feel of his abilities and gauging how much he should help or not in a positive way until the complications of reality start demanding hard choices. He's a tortured do-gooder from the start, and never really seems to (on-screen) develop this awe for life in every form that is then supposedly put at risk with the need to stop Zod even if it means killing him.

The scales were also inflated a lot in the early movies, which is usually a mistake, since it both darkens the narrative and makes more movies complicated since you have to keep upping the ante. Superhero movies gained a lot by dialing things back a bit to start with, giving the audience time to bond on a smaller setting with the characters before bringing out the big guns.

Hell, the sadly flopped "Dredd" movie might have been the pioneer in this, and I like to think the bigger movies that followed learned from it. There's no world-ending crisis in that flick, no countdown until some blue light shoots up into the sky and kills the whole city/world. It's just a bad day in Judge Dredd's life when a bust in a vertical shantytown gets complicated.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

revolutions is arguably a deconstruction of how the concept of a chosen one is often a means to manufacture consent but people don't get this because they cannot possibly fathom that portraying somebody as A Jesus could be a bad thing

"Arguably" is doing a lot of work there, given that Neo/One still sacrifices himself to banish his evil, world-dooming counterpart, is laid out in a Christ-like t-pose as he is carried on his robot hearse, and is implied to be capable of returning. Again.

The second and third movies never really fleshed out the world and themes as well as I hoped. Zion and the machine world and such were implied in the first movie and that was good enough for that story. But when the time came to actually make that setting breathe, it fell flat on its face for me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

She was never homeless, that's just been some weasel wording used to make her seem more relatable or something.

"According to Joanne, she was 'as poor as you could get in modern Britain, without being homeless.' She was unemployed living on government assistance (welfare and social housing). The coffee shop she talked about writing at was owned by her brother-in-law and Rowling was never far from her middle-class origins." and she halfway lived with her still monied peers with nice fancy townhouses.

This. She took a sabbatical to focus on writing and it had an effect on her standard of living, but it was thoroughly planned, she had reliable healthcare, shelter and food throughout, and could resume her old job on short notice if she needed to.

But the meritocratic fantasy of "See, she was eating cigarette butts in the gutter and selling her lunch to buy her dinner, but rose through hard work and gumption!!" is a lot more attractive.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

The detached centrism is a mistake of the show's over-correction for its creators' actual views. Pseudo-libertarian comedy can't really say much without opening itself up to looking incredibly stupid within a few years, or even months if it's a current event. But writers understand their story could easily age poorly, so the solution is to make things purposefully ridiculous, and hide behind that. The global warming episode isn't about how they don't like Al Gore or his opinions, it's about how weird it would be if he was trying to hunt a fictional bear-pig-man. And really, wouldn't it be weird, if Al Gore did that? It would be weird, right??? The future of comedy is here.

No kidding. They've been doing it forever, with varying levels of actual humor attached.

I mean, one of their episodes ""about"" atheism is literaly thus: Adults feel bad about catholic church child abuse, decide to be atheists. Cartman discovers that you can shove food in your butt and crap out your mouth. Everybody starts doing it. They decide being atheists is bad because, um...it makes you shove food in your rear end and poo poo out of your mouth! Yeah, let's go with that!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

his name was Wesley Crusher, because he crushed my desire to watch Star Trek

though that one episode where Picard gets mad at him and screams at him is one of my favorites

On a wider tangent, has any "Alright, for the new version of this, we are adding a kid character children can identifiy with!" attempt ever managed to not fall flat on its face?

As a child, I remember wanting to be cool jedi/captain/explorer, not his sidekick that maybe gets to untie the main character or get praised by the adults for being such a smart runt who just may do something in the future.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What the actual hell.

Even Kyle??

The TTWTG gang really was cursed by the fates, or assembled with gallery of broken types.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are you implying that Channel Awesome was hexed because they were not sufficiently deferential to deep dish pizza?

Any deference to deep dish pizza is already excessive.

But back on topic, I guess it hits harder with the whole "Youtube is(was) just regular people having a go at it" aspect. Watching a community form and then seeing it wither and break away due to abuse, malfeasance, nervous breakdown, paranoia and burnout engulfing such a large percentage of it feels like 40% of the real world is also like that.

Which is not the case, of course. Youtube stopped being 'regular people' maybe a year after its debut. A lot of the people who started doing videos as a career were the types who would normally be trying for theater, TV, comedy or news but were not conventionally attractive or well-connected, so rolled the dice on a new platform.

And we know enough about celebrity culture since the 1920s to be aware of how hosed up the people that make it can be, how it hollows out the few 'common' folk that manage to get in, and how even their neuroses and breakdowns become part of the show.

Stars in the 1920s had managers and friends in the hollywood-backed media, so they could be alcoholics, wife-beaters, or neonazis with little harm to their public image: it'd be swept under the rug until they stopped making money, and by then nobody cared. There's a new face around!

Now we see people that fell into the public eye because they did a Final Fantasy spoof video the week the algorithm thought that was important, having to keep churning content while hoping YT doesn't change the rules on them again, dealing directly with fanbases that alternate between fawning and terrifying, cultivating ties with other creators so they stay relevant and tending to their own personal lives on top of that, all by themselves.

So it's no surprise that they crack, or get pasteurized into the corporate aspect of the site: just brands, likely not even related to the original, ad-sellers trying to be memes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think that Channel Awesome specifically had problems because it was full of people copying a guy whose main gimmick was being mad at video games.

To some degree, but that went away quickly.

In their case, I think it had the downsides of both working in a company and being self-employed. You have to pay for your own camera, props, trips, everything, keep your numbers up, post content regularly so people don't forget who your are...... and ALSO follow Doug's trends, go to his events and movies, be associated with people you barely know who might be suicidal pedophiles, answer to his creepy childhood friend that trademarked the character so he's basically unfireable.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Remember the Fanservice Fiesta guy

Oh lord.

Is there an archive of the random Chip&Ironicus stuff that YT hates?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
RLM guys can be hit or miss and have bad takes, but it always seemed to me that their main peeve was the faux-progressive stuff big studios and stars do to seek attention. Stuff like the "let's put all of our women heroines in a poster shot during the final battle of Infinity endgame just because", or the easily-clipped lesbian kiss in Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. That, plus cynicism poisoning, explains the Brie Larson thing. "Ehh, rich, hot white woman going on about being oppressed, Hollywood amirite?"

They liked (and gush about) things like Suspiria and Annilation, which is kryptonite to the Quartering crowd. Rich is on record in a video listing armored Skeptic and other chudmeisters as bleating assholes. I don't even thing Mike was really joking in his "MAKE PICARD GAY" bit in the post-mortem of Star Trek: Picard.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

She was clearly partially there to avoid having Finn and Poe interact too much with their obvious chemistry. Same with the bounty hunter and other ex stormtrooper in ROS.

Partially. Her main role was still showing Finn that people in the rebellion were driven by more than survival; they -cared- about what they fought for, enough to live for it and fight another day.

Now, helmet-girl from the next movie was 100% "Poe is all about the ladies, folks". And the renega stormtrooper lass Finn meets later is 90% that, and 10% "Ehh not all troopers are bad, some feel the Force and it's a moral power we guess, whatever."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Although it still is very weird that Rose needed to show Finn The Child Soldier that the New Order is bad, actually, although that's more on Johnson and the script than anything to do with Tran.

I don't think the point was that the Order was bad; he knew that bone-deep. It was that they had to do -more- about it than just gathering their loved ones and running away.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I wrote a post about this just a few days ago:

Note: None of this is an excuse to make bad art. The Matrix Revolutions was awful. It's more a call to not turn your nose up at a work thet tries to be smart, because this does not mean it's trying to be smarter than you

Holy crap, Xenosaga. I can't think of a game that set its sights so high right from the start. "Yeah, it's going to be its own massive series. Six games, at the least. A space opera that will broach topics like human and artificial conscience, the meaning of life, the wages of autonomy and power, the ebb and flow of the universe, ancient arcane conspiracies, familiy ties. It'll be the Star Trek of the new millenium, only anime. Oh, also it has to link back to this other cult game we made. Big robots! I almost forgot it has to have big robots."

And it is kinda funny how culture oscilates between "everything is crap, really" and "everything is kinda good, really, if you squint".

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

McCloud posted:

I'm not sure why they gave it to M night, he wasn't exactly known for kinetic martial arts action scenes

Or good, engaging characters.

Or sense of humor.

Or worldbulding that stands up after you poke it twice.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone know what happend to Project Mouthwash? Half of their (brilliant) episodes of Fate UBW Abridged (the most recent ones) seem to have vanished.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ooof, Digibro. I think the last non-shitshow things I saw from her were lackluster participations in the Procrastinators 'lectures'.

Other than that, it was either harping maniacally on obscure stuff, defending poo poo takes stridently, and finally giving up to go smoke heroic quantities of pot. Which as others say, might be the best call.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the wall is the perfect doug video because it tells you everything you need to know about doug and why you shouldnt watch his videos or pay any attention to him

It really is.

Lame jokes aimed at elements that he failed to understand. Leaning negative because angry shouting man gets more clicks than liking stuff. Making the points about his own personal issues/opinions. And cowardly doing an 180 at the end and going "You know, it wasn't that bad, I see why people like it" just in case some of his audience like the source material enough to call out his bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I think it took off more because it was just a way to get a lot of content that looked better than most of the stuff on Youtube at the time (since you got to mostly show clips from a professional-produced product) without needing all of the budget of a professional production (since, once again, you're mostly showing clips from other content). Recapping, particularly snarky recapping, had been a thing on the internet since Television Without Pity. It was also having a heyday in the mid-00s, with sites like the AV Club getting into the game and having recaps of most of the big shows airing every night. Thus, it was a pretty natural evolution when people started doing videos. Doug just managed to get in early, have good branding, and have enough of a work ethic to build that brand.

Yeah, it was kind of a perfect storm. We had a generation of people in their 20's/30's with MSTK still fresh in their minds from the earlier decade, now with the means to cheaply make content. Riffing other media was easy, popular and natural; hell, Agony Booth was doing 12-page long TEXT riffs in the early 2000s, and doing well enough that hundreds of thousands of geeks like me waited for months for the next one to drop !

Add video games to the mix as something you can mine for material regularly (and without getting sued), and you have the cornerstone of the online video boom.

As a last bit on Doug Walker, and to make a point of comparison to other Channel Awesome fare, I like to point at the Rocky series retrospective with Spoony and Brad Jones. It's really clear that they are genuinely engaged with the topic, aware of its virtues and warts, do a great job of laying out both the movies by themselves and the way the series veers into camp (and then redemption!), and are also being really loving funny without resorting to screeching or tired bits.