Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Heres the high score of shame for the last thread. drat, I've only been on SA for less than a year and posted enough to reach the top 20 :stare: I blame me being bored in quarantine.

I can't believe I've posted in that thread so.much despite creating nothing and barely venturing out to check out new Youtubers.

Anyway, I feel like Townsends should be in the OP but ive only watched like 3 of his videos and I'm not quite sure what his main focus is. Is it just old timey food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

it comes from massive dipshits like that dude making wild assumptions based on nothing but their own glassed-out brains

'japan absolutle despises Lilo' is the 'tide pod challenge moral panic' of animation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I keep telling youtube not to recommend Oney videos and I'm not interested and clearing my watch history but it just keeps recommending videos

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I keep having this problem with Mauler vids in my recs :negative:

I don't even watch his stuff, I just clear it off now because I make the mistake watching things and then getting slammed with dozens of videos on stupid poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Please.....no more....Snyder discourse.... :negative:

I wish we could just above all these tedious internet people into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with a bunch of swords and let them deal with it so we can move on, finally. 'Pineapple on pizza is a crime against God?' You're still not shutting up about Zach Snyder? Fine, kill each over it, or don't and please shut up about it afterwards. See you in a decade'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

One of the issues this thread might be having is that barely any movies are coming out, meaning there's a lot less to talk about, so we just keep going back to the same wells.

Hey, speaking of that, what do you think is going to be the next Disney movie to be remade in live action and less than the animated version and do the princess/female lead dirty next?

Is it possible to do a worse job of it than Mulan and Aladdin? How could this be achieved?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

lmao at Raenir Salazar defending bob in the replies of those tweets

Was he the guy who kept causing massive derails in the last thread? I faintly remember there being someone different doing that but I can't remember who it was. I don't think it was the guy doing crimes IRL that warranted getting perma'd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

He was the guy with the Mario avatar whose gimmick was that he worships the ground Moviebob walks on and would not tolerate seeing his idol slighted in any way. The other one you’re thinking of is probably Bravest of the Lamps, who was just a massive contrarian rear end in a top hat until it turned out he’d been e-stalking someone, following them to different forums to harass them.

Nah, it definitely wasn't BotL, it was someone else. But the thread keeps getting people like that so I totally lost track of who.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, I'm an idiot what's a good channel of just 'general things you should know instead of Redwall catchphrases and every single Saiyan powerup'?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus

*Bruce Buffer voice*

It's TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

Oh man, with this guy interacting with all the dumb bullshit in the rooms of this game and talking to people more I feel like we got shafted on that Retsupurae.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I still really enjoyed the Retsupurae of Mystery of the Druids, probably one of their last great riffs on that channel.

Yeah but just imagine if the longplayer video they used had looked around the rooms and interacted with stuff or had gone back to the homeless guy afterwards and that kinda stuff.

There's so much great material there that they never got a chance to see is all I'm saying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t breadtube just wishful thinking by internet posters writing erotic friendfiction about their favorite youtube channels? It’s true insofar as people know each other and collaborate, plus have some prominent self-declared enemies in common, but I don’t think it was ever a branding thing or some kind of deliberate effort, though I don’t really follow many of the more narrowly political communists/anarchists who don’t do scripts or jokes.

I always just took it as like a descriptor for people who make similar good stuff. Asking for like collaborations or shootouts or anything beyond 'If you like Shaun's videos you might also enjoy Dan Olson or Lindsay Ellis' videos too' wasn't something I was ever expecting personally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I went looking a bit more, assuming there'd be a 'please stop diving in front of insults that weren't aimed at you and then getting irate about it' or 'guys I'm talking about Qanon/ illuminati/ Rahowa people's post but he just strolls past it like fruitcake in a supermarket and posts about how he hosed up his arm really bad. So, :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

please take a break from online you guys

People be in here gasping at entertainers being way different in real life versus in a video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how about no the gently caress we do not

Congratulations, you've brought another 11 years of 'Life is just like Harry Potter' articles and videos upon us!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 3, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know it's virtue signalling but honestly, it really cheered me up to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCOtoyRODE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

idk at some point this just became the thread for complaining about every single time an online creator makes a political tweet you don't like.

*puts hand on side of own face, whispers conspiratorily*

So do you think we should go ahead with making the second secret thread for actual internet creative personality discussion and leave this one as the decoy thread for people to get mad at poorly workshopped jokes on Twitter or what?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quinn Curio returns with another beast of a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tIkE2jkl0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nigel Ng's Uncle Roger videos are cracking me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53me-ICi_f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KdbASIkB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrUfwpaNNIM

I can't cook much but even I know not to drain rice and add more water. If I come check on it and find some sticking to the pot, I'll add some extra water to see if I can save some more of it but it's never completely draining and rinsing the water bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm really glad we're sharing around the podsaveamerica type liberals now. I'm sure the homes for people who have fun a small business in a minority neighborhood for five years after getting at least a masters degree will resolve all societal woes.

You talking about Alex Ptak's podcast or is there a similarly named one out there too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

No I'm talking about the podcast that his is named in mockery of. Pod Save America hosted by a bunch of ex-Hillary campaign staff and is absolutely terribe

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enough professional chefs cooking good food. More people creating uncanny valley food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3Q0YeqcSk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Going back to this:

It looks like poor Quinn's been inundated in bot copyright claims since then and in spite of heavily editing and censoring everything to try to avoid this, and they keep demonetizing the video :smith:

https://twitter.com/QuinnCurio/status/1326913801015451652

https://twitter.com/QuinnCurio/status/1326954211377111040

Well gently caress I really should've watched it immediately instead of putting it off

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gently caress the Snyder Cut, where's my Nomura Cut of Hercules

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If anyone has more specific context than this, go ahead and toss it in, the only part that I've got specifically is this.

Which is all the more impressive because we all know that Stormtrooper armor is absolute trash so Mandalorians making theirs worse on purpose is all the more impressive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's barely even boob armor, more just the female chest piece is curved rather than straight. That said it is equally dumb that such a mild take instantly whipped a bunch of morons into a frothing rage.

Lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

there has been so much star wars poo poo shoved down the throat of everyone since 2015, please make it stop. I am not nostalgic for the 70s anymore. Make some kind of new cultural property please

All the people that wanted to make a new thing did so in the 60's and 70's. Now we're just cashing in on it endlessly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Benne posted:

I cannot possibly imagine having a strong opinion about Anita Sarkeesian in 2020

Capital G gamers will never forget a grudge so long as the target is a woman.

Even Jack Thompson can be happily welcomed into their fold as long as he keeps himself focused on the real threat: Females asking why games would be made in such a way that they would find hostile to them on purpose.

Ubisoft's loving 'straight white alpha male' bullshit

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 17, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

It became a running joke with my friends that the only thing I was looking for in a character was that they wore pants because we played a string of games (mostly f2p mmos and poo poo) where I kept finding characters I liked but then none of the outfit choices gave them pants, so now pants is an actual thing I look for in a character to play.

Hey, same here! I play a lot of Japanese games (usually JRPGs) and I keep picking the wrong ones too, because oops all high heels and skirts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

Star wars, Anita Sarkeesian, let's have some zack snyder too
(not really, I just like bobvids and this tweet)

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1328772282005790720

Augh, god I hope that looks better in motion because it's so bland and colorless here. It's like we're back in 2009 with the endless release of brown military shooters again!

I never saw Justice League because my standards are only oh so slightly too high to watch that instead of 19 of the 23 Marvel movies, same reason I never got around to seeing Suicide Squad but the main villain being named Steppenwolf still trips me up because my only familiarity with that name is from the old Steppenwolf: The X-Creatures Project flash games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

that is the kind of last second hard turn into wild poo poo i come here for, great post

If you give me something to respond to I just go off into weird tangents.

McCloud posted:

Can I be slightly annoyed at Sarkeesian for having a real dumb take but also think foaming at the mouth about it is really stupid? Is that an option?

No, that's impossible. You can't have that opinion. As a matter of fact, you never had that opinion, the Old Ones ate it. It never existed anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alpharad's having a rough one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

A defense that's also used is that "it was like that back then" which is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how ancient societies worked. They had laws. Lots of people hung up on the Viking craze are all about the raping and pillaging but the British Isles had pretty extreme laws against assaulting women even when the Danelaw covered most of the east coast with Danish settlers. Sexual violence obviously happens all the loving time and it's terrible but it's not a valid defense to put it in your story "because that's what it was like back then" since it was considered just as heinous back then as it is now. It's hack writing to either make you sympathetic to a female character in lieu of giving her actual character, or it's an attempt to make an edgy story about a lawless world that doesn't represent the reality you're ostensibly drawing inspiration from.

Also I had to learn that yeah, food existed in the past, it wasn't all gruel and hard stone bread or people just not knowing what the gently caress they were doing. Like, I knew that sandwiches and lobster were thought of as low class food and black slaves in America made fried chicken because they were given garbage to start with but I never really thought about it beyond that.

Thanks Townsends!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katt posted:

https://twitter.com/AshBCoffin/status/1329754140310974466?s=20

What did she think vagina museum wrapping paper was going to look like? Everything they sell is vagina themed.

Also, I feel like it's not just a Super Bad joke, but everyone was drawing dicks on the whiteboard and on the bathroom stalls all the time in Middle and High School when I was going so I can absolutely see that being wrapping paper the second someone brought up vagina wrapping paper.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dmboogie posted:

what the gently caress

DoctorWhat posted:

what's wrong with you that poo poo is art

Some people still think that liking things exists on a scale. To enjoy something, you have to put another thing down too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just start with the first Austin Powers movie, it's all the same by the fifth James Bond movie anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The wide umbrella of definition that things can fall under to be called 'too left' is so absolutely massive that I have no idea what the hell it means here. What, specifically, is the problem? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Did the first episode have Dot as the main character or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

it has trump as a gross polythemus in an odyssey parody

Sigh

Wonderful.

I'm barely familiar with the original series to begin with so now I've got two more shows I have to watch if I'm going to be 100% sure if political jabs are par for the course with them or not. Thanks a lot, Spielberg!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not like it was ever some deep 'leftist' critique like 'Clinton's welfare reform policy hurts the poor and working class while shifting the money to wealthy technocrats...waka waka!!!!!' but 'lol clinton like burger' or 'al gore boring' was, like, a common joke.

It never really 'got political' but it sounds like this version doesn't either. It just references people in popular culture? Like 'lol trump look like big dumb ogre' isn't political satire it's just...a joke about what a big turd trump looks like.

Okay. I was trying to make a joke about 'Welp, looks like I have no other option but to go and watch all of both the Animaniacs shows to figure out if they liked to throw jabs at political figures in the past or not, I have no other option left'

It's honestly been over a decade since I've seen any of it, had no idea the old one was on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that would be an old school Animaniacs joke. Wakko is so loving dumb even he doesn't know what gender he is so he just has none.

PYF non-canon Animaniacs jokes

Oh no, I supported a bad one