Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think Solasta goes an okay job with the long rest thing. Rest sites aren't super common, and there are a few sequences where you're forced to do a bunch of battles without resting. Also, for me, I'm often too lazy to go long rest too often!

The extra slots is true. I think I'd be happier if they did something like:

Level 13 - All spells are cast at level 6
Level 16 - All spells are cast at level 7

Just so I can squeeze a bit more power out of lightning bolt and inflict wounds.

On the upside, this is the first character I've ever had in any DnD game where an Inflict Wounds spells actually felt worth using! Tapping someone of the forehead and watching them eat 40 damage is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I think Solasta goes an okay job with the long rest thing. Rest sites aren't super common, and there are a few sequences where you're forced to do a bunch of battles without resting. Also, for me, I'm often too lazy to go long rest too often!

The extra slots is true. I think I'd be happier if they did something like:

Level 13 - All spells are cast at level 6
Level 16 - All spells are cast at level 7

Just so I can squeeze a bit more power out of lightning bolt and inflict wounds.

On the upside, this is the first character I've ever had in any DnD game where an Inflict Wounds spells actually felt worth using! Tapping someone of the forehead and watching them eat 40 damage is pretty neat.

Pretty much all other casters only get 1 slot for 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. Warlocks are fine as is.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Pretty much all other casters only get 1 slot for 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. Warlocks are fine as is.

Other casters can upgrade their spells with level 6+ slots though. It feels off that warlocks can't, since their whole gimmick is about having fewer spells but them always being heavily up-leveled.

I get that, balance wise, this is the best solution. I just feel that the solution undermines the warlock a bit. Like they said "Hey this cool gimmick actually breaks at high levels, so lets just switch it off at level 10 and pretend they're the same as other casters."

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Other casters can upgrade their spells with level 6+ slots though. It feels off that warlocks can't, since their whole gimmick is about having fewer spells but them always being heavily up-leveled.

I get that, balance wise, this is the best solution. I just feel that the solution undermines the warlock a bit. Like they said "Hey this cool gimmick actually breaks at high levels, so lets just switch it off at level 10 and pretend they're the same as other casters."

It's more that the spells they get after level 10 aren't really using spell slots. They're more like innate/granted abilities that they get to use once a day. I think they should remove all V,S,M from them to make up for it. Letting you upcast other spells in their place would make more sense as an eldritch invocation or something.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

It's more that the spells they get after level 10 aren't really using spell slots. They're more like innate/granted abilities that they get to use once a day. I think they should remove all V,S,M from them to make up for it. Letting you upcast other spells in their place would make more sense as an eldritch invocation or something.

It's possible they did... At least, the material component. I picked Circle of Death and I can cast it. From what I can see, I don't have a 500g pearl (or the pearl powder) in my inventory. My inventory is a horrible mish mash of random crafting ingredients tho, so it's possible I just missed it.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

It's possible they did... At least, the material component. I picked Circle of Death and I can cast it. From what I can see, I don't have a 500g pearl (or the pearl powder) in my inventory. My inventory is a horrible mish mash of random crafting ingredients tho, so it's possible I just missed it.

You can turn off material components in the settings, reckon thats why you can cast it. I turned it on because i couldn't find any pearls worth that much and it was super annoying.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

You can turn off material components in the settings, reckon thats why you can cast it. I turned it on because i couldn't find any pearls worth that much and it was super annoying.

Yeah, you're right. I have it on Basic, not full.

According to the wiki, the description is wrong. You actually need a special pearl powder you need to buy from a shop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The material components thing never actually worked for me for some reason, it just let me cast the stuff whether I had the right ingredients or not even after I definitely turned it on. It's a cool idea but I'm not sure it's one that really works well in a relatively linear video game campaign as opposed to an actual PnP campaign where the DM can tailor merchants, drops, let you go out of your way to find stuff, or just throw you a bone now and again

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Other casters don't get more than one 6th level cast until level 19. The way CRPGs are different from tabletop definitely changes how classes play but I don't think it's quite that dramatic.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Controversial opinion time: I don't think this is controversial at all

Paladins are OP as hell, and this becomes rally clear if you clear a campaign with one, and then immediately start another without one. It feels dumb that a dedicated fighter like a Barbarian can't even come close to the damage output of what is essentially a fighter/cleric hybrid. I also miss the whole "me and my pals are all immune to fear" aura, especially since I thought having a barbarian with only 8 wisdom was a good idea.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 13, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

EclecticTastes posted:

Warlocks aren't really meant to be played like a traditional spellcaster. They're actually more of a ranged attacker, using Eldritch Blast (modified by their various Invocations) to take down enemies, and saving their spells for when they really need them (when picking out a Warlock's spells, stick to stuff with high impact on the state of the battlefield, buffs with long durations, or spells that can lock down an enemy outright, rather than straight damage spells).

My big gripe with warlocks is that the pacts all feel kind of hinky compared to what they should be in non-srd land. Pact of the chain being a short term buff in solastra feels like a cop out because they didn't know how to implement or balance familiars writ large and the reality of what imps and quasit and pseudodragons could add to the mix in a traditional game in specific.

Pact of the tome can get guidance and light/shine and some other useful cantrip, but the whole point of it was the ritual invocation that allowed you to cast ANY ritual spell so long as you could transcribe a scroll to your book. So you could have things warlocks didn't have access to normally like wizards leomunds tiny hut, cleric commune, druid meld into stone and the like, all on one character. All of that is missing in Solastra and they are hard restricted to like comprehend language, detect magic, and something else only.

But yeah, outside of that, don't think of it as a wizard or sorc replacement. Think of it like a ranger replacement with how their Eldritch blasts scale into mid and end game.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 13, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just like Pact of the Blade Warlocks, because I've just always liked gishes (Figher/Magic-users), and they're pretty good ones.

Also, I'm going to play Palace of Ice shortly and I'm genuinally thinking about dropping the Paladin just to make things more interesting. They really are incredibly strong. I bet a 4 Paladin party would just murder everything.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

I just like Pact of the Blade Warlocks, because I've just always liked gishes (Figher/Magic-users), and they're pretty good ones.

Also, I'm going to play Palace of Ice shortly and I'm genuinally thinking about dropping the Paladin just to make things more interesting. They really are incredibly strong. I bet a 4 Paladin party would just murder everything.

Do it! Join the "oops I wiped again" crew with me :)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Play 4 warlocks.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Play 4 warlocks.

Tempted, looks like if you take 1 of each specialization you could cover most things! No healing would suck tho.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Tempted, looks like if you take 1 of each specialization you could cover most things! No healing would suck tho.

why would you need healing :)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
4 clerics is a pretty hilarious approach. 4 Spirit Guardians with 4 Flawless Concentrations is just brutal.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Maybe 4 bards, everyone's inspired, all the time, never fail a roll again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do you get 4 bonus short rest healing dice?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The unfinished business mod really needs a celestial theme warlock with access to healing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deptfordx posted:

The unfinished business mod really needs a celestial theme warlock with access to healing.

There's a feat for that

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Question. If you have multiple attacks, can you make multiple Vampires touch attacks while the spell's active?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

Question. If you have multiple attacks, can you make multiple Vampires touch attacks while the spell's active?

Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Typically spells like this grant you an extra once per turn ability, rather than a new weapon that scales off of your characters inherent stats.

About the only interesting interaction I know of in the game is with Shadowcasters, since at level 13 they can sneak attack with it. That would turn a 3d6 attack into a 10d6 attack (7 sneak dice at level 13).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Deptfordx posted:

I'm pretty sure the only spells that work this way in 5e are explicitly the ones that conjure a special melee weapon. So like, shadow blade as an example. http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:shadow-blade

Typically if something says "melee spell attack", it's one per turn only. Melee spell attacks typically do not abide by increased attacks per turn.

Edit: the only exceptions are explicitly baked into the spell description - Eldritch Blast and Scorching Ray make multiple attacks, for example. But in those cases they aren't affected by the melee extra attack, it's only what's prescribed in the spell text and nothing more.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2023

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah, multiple attacks are part of the Attack action. With melee spell attacks you're using the Cast A Spell action.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Does the DC of concentration checks not scale with anything? I'm trying to disrupt a demon, but the DC is 10 and he has a +11 to save, so that's obviously not gonna happen.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Gerblyn posted:

Does the DC of concentration checks not scale with anything? I'm trying to disrupt a demon, but the DC is 10 and he has a +11 to save, so that's obviously not gonna happen.

It's 10 or half the damage they take from the attack that disrupts them, whichever is higher. (Edit: in tabletop, I haven't really played Solasta yet, though I keep thinking about it)

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 17, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gerblyn posted:

Massive damage should increase the DC.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Gotcha, I think I only did like 16 or so damage, so that explains it.

Only person I have who can do the big numbers is the Barbarian, but she needed to disrupt the flying spell to reach him. She's a magebane, so she tried her innate dispel but it only removed a debuff I'd just placed instead of the flying :(

Edit:

I wonder if it looks at the total damage of an attack, or the highest damage part within an attack. Like my Barb just crit a dragon for 45 damage, but the system listed it as 21 + 12 + 8 + 4 in the combat log and the floating damage numbers.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 17, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It should be the total damage of one attack, I think.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Poil posted:

It should be the total damage of one attack, I think.

Damage listed sequentially is taken individually for concentration. So, 10 + 10 + 10 would be a check versus 10, not 30.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Damage listed sequentially is taken individually for concentration. So, 10 + 10 + 10 would be a check versus 10, not 30.

That would mean it's really hard to get a damage spike high enough to break the 20 damage threshold in a meaningful way using a weapon attack.

You're pretty much stuck with trying for a damage spike from a high powered spell.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

some creatures have innate flying and you will never disrupt that

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

That would mean it's really hard to get a damage spike high enough to break the 20 damage threshold in a meaningful way using a weapon attack.

You're pretty much stuck with trying for a damage spike from a high powered spell.

Rogues using Sneak Attack are your best bet when it comes to breaking concentration.

That otherwise not useful "bee" cantrip they added to the 5E standards that does a little damage and makes the target roll concentration at disadvantage can also be helpful, though you still need to trigger a check with a high enough DC.

Ironically, against enemies with lower checks your best bet is lots of small damage hits. Magic Missile or Scorching Ray, for example.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Hang on. Does that mean 10 damage from the weapon roll + 4 damage from stat modifier and + 2 damage from rage would only be a check vs 10? I hope I got that wrong because that's really stupid.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Hang on. Does that mean 10 damage from the weapon roll + 4 damage from stat modifier and + 2 damage from rage would only be a check vs 10? I hope I got that wrong because that's really stupid.

The stat modifier is included in the first number, but yeah things like rage, brutal critical, sneak attack and poison are all separate

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Poil posted:

Guy below got it right. The modifiers to a hit like +2 damage count with the initial damage. +2-4 radiant counts as a separate damage from say the piercing damage. Even same type, if different source, don't bundle. Smite won't add with a separate source of radiant. but, paladin smite and rogue sneak are some of the highest single source damage.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Gerblyn posted:

The stat modifier is included in the first number, but yeah things like rage, brutal critical, sneak attack and poison are all separate

I don't think this is correct. It's true if it's like a poison sting where you take 1d4 piercing damage and then have to save to avoid like 3d6 poison damage. Since the poison is a save made after the hit is confirmed, it's a second source of damage. Sneak attack and bonus rage damage are not separate sources of damage in the same way that a frostbrand's frost damage is not considered separate from the weapon damage.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
They appear separately in the log and you get a separate floating damage number for them is all I know. The impact of that on concentration checks on the target is something I dare not say myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Ah yeah I'm not sure how the game does it, I'm thinking of 5e rules. I assume they're the same but who knows!