Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Back again for the renegade solasta
D4 damage for the old magister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I am pretty sure Solasta observes 5E rules for concentration checks. Otherwise, a rogue shooting someone concentrating who gets to cash sneak attack while using a bow that adds damage dice and special ammo would trigger four concentration checks with a single hit.

I stand ready to be corrected, but I don't recall seeing that many checks triggered by a single bow shot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Will a druid do alright in the new expansion? It was the most lackluster party member in my original run.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

Will a druid do alright in the new expansion? It was the most lackluster party member in my original run.

I did a run with a Spirit Companion Druid, and the companion (I picked an eagle) was very useful, since it could fly and reach annoying enemies. Wild Shape was a bit crappy, since even at high levels you don't get Dark Vision or have the attacks count as being magic, so you can't really use them to fight that much, though thy are useful for mobility. There is a new level 13 thing that lets you transform into a snow tiger, which is neat.

I'm not a huge fan of the druid spell list, I missed having Bless from a Cleric/Paladin for example. It's not bad, just a bit meh.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mordaedil posted:

The best crowd control character and with circle of balance, the best in fight healer, in the original campaigns. Requires a lot more finesse at 11+ level, but still good.

Earth elemental can tie up even legendary opponents for multiple turns, while you clean up the field, fey eagle is great against the flying bastards.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 21, 2023

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was alright and all, it just wasn't holding a candle to my rogue or wizard that clapped every fight and I was never sure if using a club or shield was the right answer.

My dual-wielding fighter wasn't as fun as my paladin in my expansion run either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mordaedil posted:

It was alright and all, it just wasn't holding a candle to my rogue or wizard that clapped every fight and I was never sure if using a club or shield was the right answer.

My dual-wielding fighter wasn't as fun as my paladin in my expansion run either.

Shield. My druid literally never attacked melee.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just cast thorns everywhere and the AI goes spastic, Druids are the best

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

To be fair Paladins are just straight up the best melee fighters. Barbs and Fighters don't hold a candle to them. Some ranger gimmicks like the "+6 damage against wounded targets" come close though (and Rangers can do the thorns spell)

I always try to use Druids as healer/support, which they're ok at, but Clerics do that better, and the things that Druids get instead of what Clerics get, like Wild Shape, aren't that great. Like, I'd love to say "Ha, no need for spells, I shall become a Gorilla and join the front line!" but in practice it doesn't work that well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that has been my experience as well, in addition to constantly losing my darkvision and becoming useless in melee fights.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When I was playing co-op with some friends one was playing a druid and the darkvision thing was a bummer. We did find out that the darkvision spell carried over to the animal forms (at least in unfinished business). Since it lasts 8 hours and doesn't need concentration it was pretty painless to cast on him daily

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was mainly curious since the new expansion allows me to import my team from before, but I'm really considering swapping the druid out. Maybe I'll give her another chance, since my main problem in the OC was that she didn't get enough gear for her class.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The lack of any wooden shields is a PITA, from what I can see only the basic one exists. The non-metal armor is also annoying, since it just sucks when you have clerics prancing about in 50 pounds of steel without any issue. There are at least some okay magical sets of Druid and Leather armor.

I think I found a nice wooden staff for a druid at some point, so there is some stuff around, but it's still quite scarce.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which expansions allow you to carry over characters from the main Solasta campaign?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CommissarMega posted:

Which expansions allow you to carry over characters from the main Solasta campaign?

Palace of Ice.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does heavy armor limit all dex bonuses or just the dex bonus to ac?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do I need to have kept the save?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baron Porkface posted:

Does heavy armor limit all dex bonuses or just the dex bonus to ac?

Just ac from dex. You can wear full plate and still get an init bonus

Baron Porkface posted:

Do I need to have kept the save?

It imports your characters and stuff from the save, if you don't have it you can just make a new party and you'll level to 10 before the campaign starts and be given some random basic gear for your class

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Azhais posted:

Just ac from dex. You can wear full plate and still get an init bonus

How is any armor less than plate better than plate? Heaviness adds 1 ac for every dex taken away.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The main disadvantage of plate is that you need to be able to wear heavy armor to use it, which for a lot of classes means taking a feat.

From what I can see tho, all else being equal, plate is just the best armor type.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Plate also requires 15 STR or you take a penalty on movement.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Also, like all heavy armor it gives disadvantage on stealth checks. But yeah, for classes that can wear it it's generally the best and that is reflected in its base cost

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I'm using this game (which I enjoy a ton on its own, too) to hold me over until Baldur's Gate 3 comes out.

Thanks to all the paladin chat, I'm currently making my way through with a team of 4 paladins and I am absolutely steam rolling through the game.

Admittedly, I'm using Unfinished Business and doing a bit of cheating, but I'm around 500 hours of played time on this game so I don't feel bad about using shortcuts at all.

The only thing that gets tedious is when a bunch of ranged combatants don't want to come into melee range. Honestly, I've been using the cheat box to kill all enemies a lot when I've whittled it down to those 13 HP archers that keep running farther away or whatever. I don't use it to skip interesting or difficult combat, but I don't have a lot of patience for chasing skeletons who have to roll a nat 20 to hit me around a map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So after finishing Baldur's Gate 3 I was hungry for more, and I realized I hadn't played Solasta yet, despite having owned it for years. Looking to create a powerful, balanced party made up of custom characters. I'm going to play on Authentic. What sort of composition would you guys recommend?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Phlegmish posted:

So after finishing Baldur's Gate 3 I was hungry for more, and I realized I hadn't played Solasta yet, despite having owned it for years. Looking to create a powerful, balanced party made up of custom characters. I'm going to play on Authentic. What sort of composition would you guys recommend?

Are you min/maxing? Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Wizard isn't necessarily the most powerful, but balanced and never in a situation you're not set for. Elves tend to have the most relevant racial bonuses and have dark vision.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Min-maxing in the sense that I want my party to be effective, without having to go for something too gimmicky like four Paladins.

Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Wizard sounds good, except that I don't have the DLC that allows you to pick Druid. What would you suggest in its place?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Min-maxing in the sense that I want my party to be effective, without having to go for something too gimmicky like four Paladins.

Paladin, Ranger, Druid, Wizard sounds good, except that I don't have the DLC that allows you to pick Druid. What would you suggest in its place?

Cleric

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Phlegmish posted:

Cleric. The druid has a huge early game advantage and is the best in-combat healer (circle of balance gives additional healing the next turn so downed characters not killed automatically heal and get their turn). But, cleric is a better combat addition from 5th - 7th.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Honestly spike growth is stupidly strong through the whole game, and the druid healing circle delayed healing ability will get people back on their feet without losing their action

Only downside to druids is how godawful the itemization is for them. I don't think there's a single magical wooden shield in vanilla

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Azhais posted:

Honestly spike growth is stupidly strong through the whole game, and the druid healing circle delayed healing ability will get people back on their feet without losing their action

Only downside to druids is how godawful the itemization is for them. I don't think there's a single magical wooden shield in vanilla

Yeah, take the concentration feat, spend time dodging in important encounters or near a character who can block with their shields. The leather/hide/Druid armor is basically trash, so druids have to amp dexterity when possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The environments in this game are pretty, and the animations look decent...however, the character models are so-so, especially when it comes to the variety. My puddingfaced party members all look like they're related to each other. Two of them also have the same voice.

Anyway, those Soraks in the very first mission were pretty tough. Most of them have higher hp than your guys, you have disadvantage against them because they're 'unlit' (casting Light didn't seem to help), and they regenerate. It's making me think the rest of the game is probably going to kick my rear end as well. I didn't even find any good loot, and I'm not sure where I can buy new equipment.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The terrible NPCs grew on us about the time Kythaela showed up. It helps if you have goofy looking characters of your own and can laugh at the oddball voice lines.

We beat the base game without improving our gear much since we didn't do any crafting. A friend who beat all campaigns says that is a big source of gear but you do need reputation and materials so it won't help as much early game.

Tip: daylight was an mvp spell for us in a a few spots midgame and later.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Anyway, those Soraks in the very first mission were pretty tough. Most of them have higher hp than your guys, you have disadvantage against them because they're 'unlit' (casting Light didn't seem to help), and they regenerate. It's making me think the rest of the game is probably going to kick my rear end as well. I didn't even find any good loot, and I'm not sure where I can buy new equipment.

Light should work if the light source us close enough to the target. Maps also tend to have unlit torches you can light with Sparkle

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gerblyn posted:

Light should work if the light source us close enough to the target. Maps also tend to have unlit torches you can light with Sparkle

Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle. If hidden, it won't create a stealth check, so get as close as you can and light them all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phlegmish posted:

The environments in this game are pretty, and the animations look decent...however, the character models are so-so, especially when it comes to the variety. My puddingfaced party members all look like they're related to each other. Two of them also have the same voice.

5e is incredibly unfriendly at low levels and evens out at about 5, and Solasta is no exception. It's more so if anything because the item curve is slightly better than the assumed 5e game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed the horrible rubbery character models purely because they cemented this game in my brain as "NWN2 with good combat"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Yeah, if Baldur’s Gate 3 is the epic, custom campaign your DM planned for a decade, Solasta is your “let’s roll some level 1’s and run this campaign module for the 8th time.”

I adore both experiences.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who added druid to my first party of Solasta, uh, don't do that. The gear you find does not support that in the slightest and she felt like the weakest member in my party. Stick with traditional members.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mordaedil posted:

As someone who added druid to my first party of Solasta, uh, don't do that. The gear you find does not support that in the slightest and she felt like the weakest member in my party. Stick with traditional members.

Ignore this. Yes, the gear sucks, but if you look at the damage output, the druid will be your top member or close. Spiked growth is way OP, moonbeam is decent damage and forces opponents to take opportunity attacks over and over. The best combat healing in the game, to boot. They're not a front line guy and do have to be protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, it's moot either way, since I don't have the DLC!

I'm a little confused as to how the looting system works. I can just leave the random junk items in the dungeon, and the Scavengers will come along to pick it up and sell it for me? That would actually be great, since my guys were overencumbered almost immediately in Caer Lem.