Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Phlegmish posted:

I'm a little confused as to how the looting system works. I can just leave the random junk items in the dungeon, and the Scavengers will come along to pick it up and sell it for me? That would actually be great, since my guys were overencumbered almost immediately in Caer Lem.

Yes. Only loot cool named swords, leave the gross unnamed swords for the help to deal with.

You don't need to worry much about party composition in Solasta. Try to keep it balanced enough to spread the gear around and have members who do Manacalon Rosary and Thieves Tools respectively. Maybe the charisma column if you care to be diplomatic. If you've played a crpg you know how it goes. I beat the campaign with monk, ranger, cleric and warlock my first time through with a slightly increased difficulty, for whatever that's worth (not much!).

One thing about the campaign that is not particularly obvious: don't spread your reputation gains evenly when you get the option to pick one faction or the other. That way you'll just never get any of the high tier faction toys. Pick a favorite and stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Xerophyte posted:

Yes. Only loot cool named swords, leave the gross unnamed swords for the help to deal with.

You don't need to worry much about party composition in Solasta. Try to keep it balanced enough to spread the gear around and have members who do Manacalon Rosary and Thieves Tools respectively. Maybe the charisma column if you care to be diplomatic. If you've played a crpg you know how it goes. I beat the campaign with monk, ranger, cleric and warlock my first time through with a slightly increased difficulty, for whatever that's worth (not much!).

One thing about the campaign that is not particularly obvious: don't spread your reputation gains evenly when you get the option to pick one faction or the other. That way you'll just never get any of the high tier faction toys. Pick a favorite and stick with it.

Your reputation with scavengers is going to be high sort of naturally, so the stuff they sell goes for a good price, too. Bottom line, if the item isn't one you're going to use, leave it. Deferred gains, but worth it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Alright, good to know, thanks. Is there a particular faction you would recommend for my Oath of the Motherland Paladin/Hunter Ranger/Shock Arcanist Wizard/Battle Cleric party? I see on the wiki that Gorim Ironsoot has some of the best prices in the game, but I assume that the Principality of Masgarth is like a default faction where your reputation will increase just from doing story missions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, just ignore anything you don't need to use right away other than flowers and mining

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do the Scavengers pick up loot from (locked) containers as well?

Anyway, after reading the wiki some more it looks like I definitely want to focus on the Antiquarians and Circle of Danantar. They seem to have the items I want. I just don't know if I'll be able to max out both.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, good to know, thanks. Is there a particular faction you would recommend for my Oath of the Motherland Paladin/Hunter Ranger/Shock Arcanist Wizard/Battle Cleric party? I see on the wiki that Gorim Ironsoot has some of the best prices in the game, but I assume that the Principality of Masgarth is like a default faction where your reputation will increase just from doing story missions.

One faction gives you access to the base weapons and recipes you need for crafting. That one is good to plug holes in your gear, but the gear falls off a little late game. The other important one is the people who sell magic items.

But basically stash all your rep items that can be given to multiple factions until you figure out which of those two you think would work best. You can get two to a pretty good level.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Phlegmish posted:

Do the Scavengers pick up loot from (locked) containers as well?

Anyway, after reading the wiki some more it looks like I definitely want to focus on the Antiquarians and Circle of Danantar. They seem to have the items I want. I just don't know if I'll be able to max out both.

Not locked containers.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The faction that gives all the misc items is the best imo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I stick with them and the guy that sells primed weapons so I can make longbows

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Its not obvious, but if you find multiple books of say +2 str, they stack if used on the same character. One of the factions sells those, if i remember right

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not sure I understand this game's difficulty curve. First story mission when you're still figuring things out, they make you fight these Soraks that outclass you in almost every way. Second story mission, you're fighting generic undead creatures that you could probably easily take on at level 3. That said, I did skip all of the encounters with named enemies by talking them down. That vampire chick in particular looked like she could have given me trouble.

Unexpected MVP so far is my Ranger. She does so much damage, with Hunter's Mark + (usually) Colossus Slayer + (sometimes) Favored Enemy. On top of that, she has a default attack roll modifier of +10, and it's the start of the game.

Anyway, I have Fireball and Haste now, so gg enemies

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Me when I cast Fireball on a clump of enemies and they all fail their DEX saves: Haha! Yes!! :getin:

Me when my party gets surprised and the enemy Archmage casts two Fireballs in a row before I can even do anything, killing my Paladin: This spell is bullshit

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

That said, I did skip all of the encounters with named enemies by talking them down. That vampire chick in particular looked like she could have given me trouble.

If you haven't progressed too far since that fight, you may want to go back and try it. There's some good loot to be obtained if I recall correctly and it's one of the best fights in the game. It is definitely one of the hardest. Is it the first fight in the game where an enemy has legendary actions?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Yeah the vampire lady fight is really easily the best fight in the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Good tip! I went back just to kick her rear end and steal her loot. She went down before her first turn came up, although she did get off a few legendary actions before that. I was vastly overleveled, but I have no shame. I'm pretty sure she was evil, anyway.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Me when I cast Fireball on a clump of enemies and they all fail their DEX saves: Haha! Yes!! :getin:

Me when my party gets surprised and the enemy Archmage casts two Fireballs in a row before I can even do anything, killing my Paladin: This spell is bullshit

You want bullshit, just wait until til a bunch of enemies get Counterspell :argh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished the main campaign. Not bad, not bad. Obviously it lacks the polish and quality of BG3*, but building my characters and fighting was still a lot of fun. Definitely better than Black Geyser, which I also recently tried.

Checking out the DLC, Lost Valley has pretty bad reviews and it requires you to start over, so I'm skipping that one. I have, however, bought Palace of Ice, and I'm looking forward to further adventures with these goofy characters that I've inexplicably become attached to.

* that said, strange as it may sound, there are some things BG3 could learn from Solasta, such as the pop-up when you're about to break Concentration, and your party stopping all movement when a trap is spotted (which was implemented by the first Pillars all the way back in 2015, Larian pls)

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 17, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
FWIW I really like Lost Valley.

This game doesn’t elicit attachment to characters much at all, so I think it’s a great game for rolling up some randos or doing an all Cleric team or whatever and seeing how that works out. Because of this, I don’t mind that it makes you start over since it’s a completely separate area and side plot.

I took an X-Com approach to it and did a run with Witcher characters a la the time I named all my X-Com soldiers after folks from Gilmore Girls.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, not sure why lost valley is getting bad reviews, it actually has multiple endings of a sort rather than pure rails.

Some of the custom campaigns are pretty solid too once you're out of the main campaigns. A couple even go all the way to 20

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thirding not sleeping on lost valley. It's another, separate, but same world, 1-10 campaign.

I personally put palace of ice well back in third place of the three. I've replayed with different player configurations both crown and valley, but once thru was enough for me on palace.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay. A 59% review score is pretty bad, but if you guys vouch for it I might check it out later. For now, I think I'll have had my fill after finishing Palace of Ice.

I'm happy I can keep using my 27 AC Paladin, it's very funny when enemies roll a 26 and still can't hit me

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Fourthing on Lost Valley. The bad reviews are probably in part due to having to start with new PCs, and partly because on initial release there were a ton of bugs. They were heavily involved with all the different faction choices you could make (lots of branching story) and multiple bugs did things like "there's no longer a way to exit this map" or "you can't complete this quest any more," alongside a number of "go too far with one faction and you end up killing off all the questgivers for another."

It's still a bit buggy and if you try to do too many different faction quests before you commit to a side the ending part of the story can misfire and give you some strange results. I think many of those got fixed too, but I suspect not all of them.

The "finale" quest has a bunch of different faction quests leading you in, but there's also a side quest unrelated to faction quests that can lead you there or that you can trip without being aware that it exists, so there's some weirdness associated with those kinds of "quest never triggered" situations. But it was an ambitious attempt to tell a story where you genuinely have to side with someone and against someone, unlike the base game where you can ally with factions without alienating others.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I found Lost valley crashed more than the main campaign. I suspect some of the new objects like tropical plants in the background in the new maps have issues, but nothing confirms it to me. I still was able to beat it. if you liked the main campaign, the expansion is worth playing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

About halfway through Palace of Ice, I hit up the Scavenger board and see this:

32 goddamn days, and it must have been even more at first, since it took a while before I got around to checking. This seriously cannot be working as intended. The game will long be over before they ever get back. Did this happen in your playthroughs as well?

It's not a big deal since I'm breezing through most of the encounters anyway, but I was counting on being able to buy all of the ability books to make my party even more OP.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, that was a huge and unexpected difficulty spike right at the end, with that final fight series of fights. Not hoarding potions and scrolls almost came back to haunt me.

Good game, considering its budget. Seems like it sold...decently well? I'm looking forward to their next project.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Have they announced anything new yet?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope they move over to PF2e, I'm so done with WotC and their bullshit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
moving to pf2 would also probably mean doing a preexisting module, which fixes the main problem of solasta's janky story. and also pf2 is really begging for a good video game adaptation

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
PF2 is also way more precise and tactical than 5e, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I don't know if this is appropriate to the thread since it concerns tabletop RPGs and not video game ones, but it is related to Solasta. The publishers of the game are having a survey to gauge reader interest in their campaign setting sourcebook detailing the world of Solasta. The book was originally a limited edition reward for a KickStarter pledge, but may look into putting up a reprint for general sale. As someone who played the video game, I did like it, and have great interest in seeing the content I missed out on from the KickStarter.

Here's a link to the article in question.

And the survey itself.