Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

THE BAR posted:

I'd rather have solid gameplay with outdated plot sensibilities than insulting melodrama any day. Really hope the longevity's there to support this.

To me it feels like playing a 5e campaign made by a competent GM and that's something I really like about it.

I've played this and BG3 and they're both good in their ways, BG has the fancy big budget polish but the UI is very opaque and I hate the conversation roll roulette, Solasta feels very crisp and polished gameplay-wise and I'm glad they're playing to their strengths rather than succumbing to scope creep and half-assing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

To me it feels like playing a 5e campaign made by a competent GM and that's something I really like about it.

I've played this and BG3 and they're both good in their ways, BG has the fancy big budget polish but the UI is very opaque and I hate the conversation roll roulette, Solasta feels very crisp and polished gameplay-wise and I'm glad they're playing to their strengths rather than succumbing to scope creep and half-assing everything.

I'm pretty much shelving BG3 for the near future and putting my time into Solasta for now. On top of the character creation choices in Solasta being more interesting, the game just feels far more transparent and readable. Maybe it's different for people who aren't intimately familiar with tabletop D&D with miniatures, but guessing distances in feet/meters gets annoying and old after a while, not to mention the haphazard pathing. In Solasta I know exactly how far I can move, which way I'm going to move, and reasonably determine what my good positions are.

If the game ends up being a largely combat-oriented dungeon crawl, I'm honestly fine with that because the combat of this game is fun enough to support it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My understanding, from watching a Stream where a developer commented, is that there will be sidequests but EA has none.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Finished the EA content just now, and it's good. The game is currently a slugfest, but that's fine because the core combat is fun. Unexpectedly, playing the rogue was actually interesting when I found playing a rogue in 5e tabletop to be very boring. Chalk it up to the Darkweaver's combination of features making the positioning actually interesting. Combat could definitely use some kind of fast forwarding on animations to make it go faster, and maybe even an auto-resolve function will be good QoL down the line.

Right now I have two substantial gripes. The first is that dialogue options are forcefully spread out among your party, so you can't just load up one character on the Charisma skills and have them handle all the talking. I find that pretty weird, since all it does is just force you to use your highest CHA character every time, regardless of which CHA skill is attached. The other is that crafting just didn't come into play at all. I expect it to be one of those things that ramps up as the game goes on, but since we're in EA right now, they should probably frontload it a bit so we can get a sense of how it operates.

I'll probably start another run in a few days to give other sub-classes a spin. The Spellblade fighter and Shadowcaster rogue specifically look like a lot of fun.

e: Somehow, Athletics is not a class skill for fighters. Oopsies!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 5, 2020

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Glad to hear the game is fun for most people. My first exposure to 5e has been the BG3 EA, and I'm not sure whether it's because I don't really care for Larian's style or am more used to 2nd edition/3.5/pathfinder, but I'm giving BG3 a rest for the time being. I am enjoying the hell out of the new Pathfinder game, though it's clearly a work in progress. Going to give this a shot soon, too.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Is there a way for non-rogue melees to get advantage on to-hit rolls by flanking? Doesn't seem to be implemented. I know there's shove but that usually eats up the action of the party member I'd most like to have advantage.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Azuren posted:

Is there a way for non-rogue melees to get advantage on to-hit rolls by flanking? Doesn't seem to be implemented. I know there's shove but that usually eats up the action of the party member I'd most like to have advantage.

Rules are different in 5E. Flanking no longer exists and rogues need to fulfill one of two requirements in 9rder to get sneak attack, regardless of whether you're ranged or melee. The first is to have advantage on your target, and the second is for your target to be threatened by one of your allies.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

inthesto posted:

Rules are different in 5E. Flanking no longer exists and rogues need to fulfill one of two requirements in 9rder to get sneak attack, regardless of whether you're ranged or melee. The first is to have advantage on your target, and the second is for your target to be threatened by one of your allies.

Is it an optional rule now? I've only played 5E a couple of times (mostly 2nd and 3rd), but I thought flanking was still a thing. If it's an optional rule, then that would explain why it's not in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Azuren posted:

Is it an optional rule now? I've only played 5E a couple of times (mostly 2nd and 3rd), but I thought flanking was still a thing. If it's an optional rule, then that would explain why it's not in the game.

Flanking is an optional rule found in the 5E DMG, and as far as I know, GMs generally do not use it. The reason is twofold. First is the more obvious fact that advantage is a much bigger mathematical bonus than the +2 you got in 3E and 4E. The second is that Opportunity Attacks are now provoked for leaving a creature's entire threatened range rather than just a single threatened square, so it would actually be trivial to circle around and get flanking every round.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

Flanking is an optional rule found in the 5E DMG, and as far as I know, GMs generally do not use it. The reason is twofold. First is the more obvious fact that advantage is a much bigger mathematical bonus than the +2 you got in 3E and 4E. The second is that Opportunity Attacks are now provoked for leaving a creature's entire threatened range rather than just a single threatened square, so it would actually be trivial to circle around and get flanking every round.

I've never played with a GM who didn't use it, specifically to encourage movement in combat. It is a stronger benefit than in 4e/3e.......however there are less benefits for it to stack with than in 4e/3e. Most things either give advantage or not, so if you get it from flank, you aren't benefiting from faerie fire or being invisible or what have you.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Madmarker posted:

I've never played with a GM who didn't use it, specifically to encourage movement in combat. It is a stronger benefit than in 4e/3e.......however there are less benefits for it to stack with than in 4e/3e. Most things either give advantage or not, so if you get it from flank, you aren't benefiting from faerie fire or being invisible or what have you.

Letting flanking grant advantage devalues those spells. As a melee character why would I want my caster to waste their turn on faerie fire if I can just use the free movement I get every turn to maintain advantage? Movement is different in 5e because as someone pointed out AoO are more limited plus you can still move while taking a full attack or bonus action + action.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Melee being able to do things that devalue spell supremacy is good though? :confused:

oh wait nm they can swing a sword all day they dont need anything else

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Depending on how many enemies you're facing and how smart they are, it can be a risky move. If combatants break ranks and devolve into a, ahem, melee, with everyone trying to form a "conga line" of stabbing each other in the back, they expose themselves to being easily flanked in turn. So, unless the party outnumbers the enemies, it does have a risk/reward to consider.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I find that Solasta does the physicality of combat, movement and terrain very well. I’m not sure why it feels more satisfying than BG3 - perhaps it’s just that squares are easier to grasp as a concept than the fluid distances - but it feels more like making interesting tactical decisions.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm waiting for BG3 to be released before I try it, don't wanna burn out on the early access before It's Done(tm). Maybe Solasta will be the gateway drug that tempts me into caving and getting it, though :v: It's definitely a fun game, even though it's pretty janky and buggy and unpolished. I can't think of any other DnD game that's tried to faithfully implement tabletop rules since the Temple of Elemental Evil, which was also charming in a janky way.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Just finished the Early Access and I'd like to share some of my thoughts.

Solasta is at its best when you're in the middle of a dungeon fighting monsters and exploring. Its great when you're doing that. When you stop and start engaging with npcs, dialogue, inventory management it takes a real dive in quality.

It seems like a good implementation of the 5e rules for a videogame although I'd encourage them to ditch rules for good videogame design more often. The general game HUD is actually great. I was afraid that not being able to customize a hotbar would be a detriment but its really not, that thing is well designed and both communicates with kind of actions you can take, keeps everything organized and the spell selection is very good. There are things that could be improved like making attacks remaining, clearer but those are tweaks. Its actually one of Solasta's great strengths compared to BG3.

The Inventory on the other hand is a nightmare, ditch the whole thing and think about what an inventory for a game with huge piles of loot, magical scrolls, crafting ingredients, gear both magical and mundane, lore texts etc should look like. There are many answers but this one is just not suitable for the game they made.

Overland travel is a neat idea but it needs to have more to it to justify itself because watching someone start an argument over politics yet again, and walk past a very old tree yet again isn't actually all that engaging. Related to that if camping is going to feature so centrally as part of managing rest please do more with that as well. Let me take some extra time to do things like identify my whole inventory because identifying items right now is very awkward.

Crafting seems both super involved with a lot of small crafting items to manage and yet nothing much exciting to make with it. Why is it limited both by crafting ingredients, needing to find blueprints and with items that even let you make an item to start with ? Feels like this could be improved a lot.

Character models are very rough, dialogue often flows very awkwardly and cutscenes are very obviously placeholders. I don't feel a need to say much about any of those things.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Preview for the upcoming content patch: https://www.solasta-game.com/news/105-dev-update-23-winter-patch-preview

The very good news is that they're reworking how lighting works, but haven't decided on anything yet. Making dim light have disadvantage was a really bizarre choice and I don't generally deal with lighting in my tabletop games, but my quick and dirty houserule would to be treat dim light as partial cover, and if you have dim light + partial cover, then it counts as full cover. Enough of a penalty to make a difference for not having lights prepared, but not such a penalty that combat comes to a screeching halt because nobody can hit anything.

More mundane stuff includes new area + quests, scavengers being activated, QoL upgrades to the inventory system, and character faces not looking like they're from a Wii shovelware game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Definitely keeping an eye on this.

What sort of release date have they mentioned?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Game's been patched, so there's new content. The short of it is there's new magic items, lighting has been reverted to tabletop rules, the scavenger faction now works, and there's another area available in EA.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

inthesto posted:

Game's been patched, so there's new content. The short of it is there's new magic items, lighting has been reverted to tabletop rules, the scavenger faction now works, and there's another area available in EA.

Glad to see they changed lighting in that way. Hopefully I'll have some time to give this game a shot over the holidays, I've liked what I've seen in streams/videos so far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Unfortunately making me nostalgic for days of silent heroes you can't zoom close enough to see details of. Environments nice, characters not so much.

Becoming a cop at the start of the story is pretty lame.

edit: The party interactions have the same problem all procedurally-generated content does - neat for a minute until you realise how inconsequential and bland everything is as a result. And then something doesn't quite fit (a character following up their own line seems to be happening a lot with me) and it stops seeming neat and more like they went to a lot of effort recording lines with their three(?) party member voice actors to make a very generic mess.

Do we really have to play the tutorial snippets at the beginning every time? Am I not seeing a skip button somewhere?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 25, 2020

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It is unfortunate that this game is actually uglier than the old 90s games it is referencing. I would much much rather have interesting pixel art like Realms of Arkania a thousand times over these dreadful models wiggling at each other. Imagine the immense money and effort savings by just switching to sprite portraits at least.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

It is unfortunate that this game is actually uglier than the old 90s games it is referencing. I would much much rather have interesting pixel art like Realms of Arkania a thousand times over these dreadful models wiggling at each other. Imagine the immense money and effort savings by just switching to sprite portraits at least.

I hear that, the character models/animations and dialogue are probably the game's weakest points. The actual combat and adventuring feels pretty good, but I wish they'd gone with a different art style rather than being stuck with these 3D character models.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FuzzySlippers posted:

It is unfortunate that this game is actually uglier than the old 90s games it is referencing.

I hate when people do this.

This is NWN1, a game from 2002:

This is Solasta:

So yeah Solasta isn't top notch graphics, far from it, but saying it's uglier than 90's games is just not true.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The chad eyebrow haver vs the virgin hood wearer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Without judging Solasta's graphics since I haven't played it yet - NWN1 is not a 90's game, it's an early 3D game released in the 2000's.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pixel art is pretty expensive and inflexible, especially if you're going for a non-retro look and marketing to more people, so I'm not surprised they went for 3D. They are also redoing the models, so I'm sure the game won't look awful at release, although it will be a far cry from Baldur's Gate 3.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Phlegmish posted:

Without judging Solasta's graphics since I haven't played it yet - NWN1 is not a 90's game, it's an early 3D game released in the 2000's.

Yeah I said so. But here's a 99 game instead:

I rest my case!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

interesting pixel art like Realms of Arkania

Furism posted:

I hate when people do this.
This is NWN1, a game from 2002:

NWN1 a game known for its pixel art

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm unfamiliar with 5e rules, so this may seem obvious, but who can actually use the multiple revivify scrolls you have?

Wizards can cast scrolls for spells above their ability (fireball, for example), but no one can cast revivify. Is it only for clerics? Forcing you to run a cleric in party? Paladins can't cast it, nor the wizards or rogues. Just a little puzzled.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

torgeaux posted:

I'm unfamiliar with 5e rules, so this may seem obvious, but who can actually use the multiple revivify scrolls you have?

Wizards can cast scrolls for spells above their ability (fireball, for example), but no one can cast revivify. Is it only for clerics? Forcing you to run a cleric in party? Paladins can't cast it, nor the wizards or rogues. Just a little puzzled.
Nope, the spell need to be on your spell list so paladin and priest can use them. Paladins not being able to is a bug, you should report it. edit: It's probably because you can't reach the level paladins cast it yet in game, i would guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 28, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toplowtech posted:

Nope, the spell need to be on your spell list so paladin and priest can use them. Paladins not being able to is a bug, you should report it. edit: It's probably because you can't reach the level paladins cast it yet in game, i would guess.

Why would the level restriction differ for a paladin versus wizard?

Also, the paladins can't cast the cure wounds scrolls that they can craft, which is bizarre.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

torgeaux posted:

Also, the paladins can't cast the cure wounds scrolls that they can craft, which is bizarre.

Paladins don't get third level spells until level 9, which doesn't exist in the game yet. So, chances are, whatever database the game checks just doesn't go that high, and thus the game doesn't think Revivify is on the paladin's spell list.

In tabletop rules, a paladin under level 9 would be able to make a spellcasting check to successfully use the scroll.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Because they only put so many level of info on each class in game yet and level 3 spells on the paladin spell list are like out of the range of the current game max level?
But yeah cure wound is level 1 and on the paladin spell list, so it's probably a bug worth complaining about.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 28, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toplowtech posted:

Because they only put so many level of info on each class in game yet and level 3 spells on the paladin spell list are like out of the range of the current game max level?
But yeah cure wound is level 1 and on the paladin spell list, so it's probably a bug worth complaining about.

Thanks. I thought it had to be a bug they could craft the scroll but not use it. The message is that this class cannot use scrolls.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

torgeaux posted:

Thanks. I thought it had to be a bug they could craft the scroll but not use it. The message is that this class cannot use scrolls.

Man, if they've coded it so it's just certain classes are tagged as being able to use scrolls, that's the worst possible way to do it, because there's a grand total of one core class that is can't use scrolls at all.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just played all the way through what's available so far, this game is turning out really good. The pace is a bit slow, but kind of enjoyable as such. Has anyone else had issues with the lizardmen fight in the caves after escaping the fort, in the section with the swinging bridge and all the pillars? I have a fairly strong team of fighter/paladin/cleric/wizard, but had to take multiple tries, eventually wound up successful by sneaking as close as possible. Those skirmisher javelin throwers were drilling my guys non-stop. It 'felt' like the rng was really biased against me, which is the normal feeling when things are not going well, but is there any way to dump rolls from save game to parse/analyze them and see if your party is getting a terrible streak of bad luck?

Which reminded me, started a new run of Temple of Elemental Evil to continue a game in a similar vein, and either the circle of 8 does some goofy stuff, or their early game is super weirdly balanced, fought an ogre with I'm guessing 40 str, and a hill giant with 28 AC, at lvl 3. Also felt like i was never rolling over 10 there as a continuation of that confirmation bias.

ratchild13 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 1, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Spring update out.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Spring update out.
Side quests and a dungeon editor are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

ratchild13 posted:

Just played all the way through what's available so far, this game is turning out really good. The pace is a bit slow, but kind of enjoyable as such. Has anyone else had issues with the lizardmen fight in the caves after escaping the fort, in the section with the swinging bridge and all the pillars? I have a fairly strong team of fighter/paladin/cleric/wizard, but had to take multiple tries, eventually wound up successful by sneaking as close as possible. Those skirmisher javelin throwers were drilling my guys non-stop. It 'felt' like the rng was really biased against me, which is the normal feeling when things are not going well, but is there any way to dump rolls from save game to parse/analyze them and see if your party is getting a terrible streak of bad luck?

Which reminded me, started a new run of Temple of Elemental Evil to continue a game in a similar vein, and either the circle of 8 does some goofy stuff, or their early game is super weirdly balanced, fought an ogre with I'm guessing 40 str, and a hill giant with 28 AC, at lvl 3. Also felt like i was never rolling over 10 there as a continuation of that confirmation bias.

The update also turns "preserve seed" off as the default.

With/re: ToEE, there are several areas in the early game that can be extremely hard until you've leveled.