Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Just finished the base campaign and enjoyed it. I will say that the Caer Elis fight was a huge anticlimax because several levels earlier I’d had a random traveling encounter vs TWO remorahz and two younglings. Only death I suffered in the whole game came in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Taear posted:

https://imgur.com/a/0UdNRlk

I mean look at this word salad, every character having to say very similar lines for just no reason whatsoever.

You have cited what IMO is the worst dialogue in the game (though there’s competition, for sure—probably have a dozen scattered through the game including one near the end). It’s never especially good, and the voice acting is very “this game was funded on Kickstarter” throughout. But the 5E combat engine works and you can turn off some of the barks and the verbal casting and such. The plot is passable and the design is fairly thoughtful.

For example, they decided to making lighting condictions a central aspect of the game, to the extent that multiple archetypes revolve around lighting-specific issues and fighting enemies with darkvision. The main adversaries of the game, as well as dangerous foes like vampires, receive disadvantage in areas of bright light, making Solasta the only D&D PC game I’m aware of where you might deliberately prep and cast a Daylight spell.

If you find it irritating, fine; I’m sure someone finds the “3D” combat system with specific bonuses for ranged attacks from a height annoying and seethes every time the game plays its climbing animation, too. But it was a major design decision which adds typically ignored aspects to the combat engine and some of us are delighted at the implementation, which the game makes good use of in combat encounters.

It’ll be interesting to compare with Baldur’s Gate III when that actually releases.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Taear posted:

I mean other than the first sentence what does that have to do with what I posted? I said the engine was good!

Although it annoys me that stuff stands on the side of walls and I can't say to my spiderclimb guys to do the same (I know they'll stop and attack, but I mean I can't specifically say "please stand here")

I was responding to this comment you posted:

Taear posted:

I'm really surprised by how positive the reactions to the game are in the thread.

<snip>

It's also frustrating that my Dragonborn without darkvision is constantly at a disadvantage, stuff you expect to cast light - like the fuckoff big runes on the stuff in the Monastery/Master quests - don't. Having to cast light because of it is just a pain. Because the story is so poo poo and badly connected I'm getting really tired of the battles. If they HAD just pitched it as a dungeon crawler I think I'd have been a lot happier with it

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, there are few things I hate more than the prebuffing needed in most DnD games. I´ve heard that there are people who enjoy watching their characters get buff after buff casted on their characters and I can only shake my head in disbelief.

This was so central to the early editions that it really took 4E to break the hold prepping had on the game. My 2E archmage would routinely have 20-30 spells running when entering combat.

My experience in Pathfinder 1E (after playing some 4E) really underlined the point: our four-PC group all had some prebuff ability. By the time we hit L9, we'd have 14+ spells running on every PC, and we'd run ten-minute dungeons where our objective was to tank or bypass traps and rush through to kill all the enemies before backtracking to do all the time-consuming stuff, because our buffs wouldn't last long enough otherwise. I estimate that the buffing meant our party overperformed by somewhere in the 2-4 level range. Our GM set up a random combat encounter in town once, and my PC dropped to 0 hp in the first round because we had none of our buffs running and he'd tailored the challenge to our buffed capacity.

Beyond the potential boredom of all the buffing and tracking all the changes and handling dispel attempts and the like, the biggest problem is that the GM will have trouble balancing encounters because "prebuffed" vs "not prebuffed" leads to such a huge variance in PC ability and survival.

One of the things about 5E that Solasta gets right is that you want some fights to go very rapidly (2-3 rounds) and involve little or no spell use, and a few fights to last long enough that casting duration spells actually makes good sense. Of course, they're still stuck with spells like Spirit Guardians that are very good and have a multi-combat duration, but at higher levels that one spell won't win fights for you unless you have multiple casters.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ratchild13 posted:

While the delivered campaigns aren't the greatest, hopefully the mods/dungeons keep this game going a long while. I just finished a workshop dungeon/campaign, against the slavers. It's VERY well put together, and due to my party build, had the toughest fight I've seen so far in Solasta. I'm also using the unfinished business mod from nexus, it adds a ton of sub classes as well as artificer, tons of 5e feats, and is updated quite frequently, it really adds a lot, including multi-classing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2544445729

The modding and player content is a big positive for Solasta over BG3 IMO. (Plus I strongly prefer turn-based over real-time with pause combat.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Taear posted:

Yea you're right. Put it on story and managed it.
The end splashes had every single line not match the subtitles and said "never again would so many gods unite their forces to push through the barrier" and I'm going "...what?". Wasn't it just one god?

All the gods save the one they were escaping pushed through the barrier to get to another world in the original event, and that’s what was being referenced, not the attempt of the one they escaped to follow.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Monks can be reasonably tanky, especially the ones that get to use Ki to Dodge for free (Way of Survival, I think is the name ?) BUT it takes a while before they really get going. They also struggle with gear quite a bit as there's not much Monk loot to be found.

Bards will never be great archers - they only ever get the one attack, and though a Lore bard could get Hunter's Mark it's just not going to be worth it. Bards in 5E are full spellcasters (with side abilities). Basically your bow will be there for when you have nothing else to do, the fight is pretty much over already and/or what monsters are left have good saves against your Cutting Mockery.

All monks can dodge for 1 Ki as a bonus action. Way of Survival monks get resistance to damage when they do that.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

That would mean it's really hard to get a damage spike high enough to break the 20 damage threshold in a meaningful way using a weapon attack.

You're pretty much stuck with trying for a damage spike from a high powered spell.

Rogues using Sneak Attack are your best bet when it comes to breaking concentration.

That otherwise not useful "bee" cantrip they added to the 5E standards that does a little damage and makes the target roll concentration at disadvantage can also be helpful, though you still need to trigger a check with a high enough DC.

Ironically, against enemies with lower checks your best bet is lots of small damage hits. Magic Missile or Scorching Ray, for example.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I am pretty sure Solasta observes 5E rules for concentration checks. Otherwise, a rogue shooting someone concentrating who gets to cash sneak attack while using a bow that adds damage dice and special ammo would trigger four concentration checks with a single hit.

I stand ready to be corrected, but I don't recall seeing that many checks triggered by a single bow shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Fourthing on Lost Valley. The bad reviews are probably in part due to having to start with new PCs, and partly because on initial release there were a ton of bugs. They were heavily involved with all the different faction choices you could make (lots of branching story) and multiple bugs did things like "there's no longer a way to exit this map" or "you can't complete this quest any more," alongside a number of "go too far with one faction and you end up killing off all the questgivers for another."

It's still a bit buggy and if you try to do too many different faction quests before you commit to a side the ending part of the story can misfire and give you some strange results. I think many of those got fixed too, but I suspect not all of them.

The "finale" quest has a bunch of different faction quests leading you in, but there's also a side quest unrelated to faction quests that can lead you there or that you can trip without being aware that it exists, so there's some weirdness associated with those kinds of "quest never triggered" situations. But it was an ambitious attempt to tell a story where you genuinely have to side with someone and against someone, unlike the base game where you can ally with factions without alienating others.